103 replies to this topic

#81 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:33 PM

I didn't care for the tourney, but did run the TDK.

I can safely say... it's not a Mist Lynx bad, but it's a whole lot of bad fun. :P

Edited by Deathlike, 09 June 2015 - 04:34 PM.

#82 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:42 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 09 June 2015 - 04:33 PM, said:

I didn't care for the tourney, but did run the TDK.

I can safely say... it's not a Mist Lynx bad, but it's a whole lot of bad fun. :P

you sure you have the same mist lynx as mine?

#83 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:03 PM

I wasn't drawn into it. It seemed unlikely I would make the top 5 (or whatever) and it appeared the rewards for doing so were just mechbays?

#84 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:16 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 09 June 2015 - 05:42 PM, said:

you sure you have the same mist lynx as mine?

I hate it.

I've had more fun in a Commando EASILY than a Mist Lynx.

#85 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:20 PM

This tournament and how well many players did in "bad" chassis just confirmed what I knew all along anyways

pilot > chassis

#86 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:38 PM

View PostcSand, on 09 June 2015 - 06:20 PM, said:

This tournament and how well many players did in "bad" chassis just confirmed what I knew all along anyways

pilot > chassis

Seeing as the good chassis' weren't up for testing...how does that prove anything you said?

Formula has changed since the last time good mechs were in tourneys.

#87 FaceRipt

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:08 PM

View PostLostdragon, on 09 June 2015 - 09:33 AM, said:

I think including the group queue in the scoring was detrimental to solo players like me. I only had time to get my TDK enough matches to go from 3/8 basics to 3200 xp into mastery. So considering the mech was not mastered I did not expect to do that well, however, I wound up having some pretty solid games in it and remembered how fun (and frustrating) Commandos can be.

When I looked at the scoreboard, however, I was pretty shocked at the top scores for the TDK and some of the other mechs. There are two people with over 3000 points in the TDK, which I thought was very high even if they had played a ton of matches. I noticed there were a lot of people who had over 3,000 points in every chassis except the TDK (which only had two).

I went back and looked at the results from the last tourney where it was solo only http://mwomercs.com/...nts?t=201505plb. I did a quick comparison in Excel and in the latest tourney there were 88 people who scored over 3k points vs. 47 in the last solo only tourney. Nobody scored over 3k in the Lolcust 1V or GRF-1N. Every chassis in this tourney had at least one score over 3k.

The four mechs in the Resistance tourney (solo and group counted) also all had someone score over 3k in all of them with a total of 57 people topping 3k.

Just looking at these results looks like including the group queue in the scoring is inflating the score. Does this mean people are cheating? No, it does not, but it does make one wonder if people are being fed kills in the group queue.

I would like to see future tournaments count only solo queue drops, and I'd also like to see the results of a tourney that capped the drops counted at maybe 50 per chassis.

I feel ya, I made top 6 on the Ilya board in the solo queue, so not all of us did it in groups, early in the weekend there were lots of carry games in the solo queue, one where I netted 8 kills and my ace of spades title when me and one other guy left on the team had to face the remaining 6 on theirs and won. So it can happen.

Do i wish it was solo queue only so as not to skew results yes, but it is what it is, I made the top 6 on most of my own merit, still gotta throw love to the teams and the enemies that made it possible.

#88 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:11 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 09 June 2015 - 06:38 PM, said:

Seeing as the good chassis' weren't up for testing...how does that prove anything you said?

Formula has changed since the last time good mechs were in tourneys.

I think you misunderstood

all the "bad" chassis were out, and people were still rippin it

therefore

pilot (skills) > chassis

#89 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,917 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:23 PM

i didnt even bother to play. the prizes sucked and i only had one qualifying hero. had they included all the heros maybe i would have dropped a couple times.

#90 AntiCitizenJuan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:58 PM

Placed #4 in Heavy Metal, so I'm satisfied.
I'm shelving this thing for a very long time, such an agitating robot to play

#91 Catra Lanis

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:27 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 09 June 2015 - 03:36 PM, said:

You also need Most Damage Dealt, so that doesn't always work.

You need to vomit as much damage (to beat the other guy) as well as get the kill.

No you don't, ordinary kills also count but gives only 10. Your team giving you 1 or 2 kills now and then can make a big difference over the long run. The chance that it happens in the same match as you get 2 or 3 solo kills increases.

#92 Catra Lanis

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:32 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 09 June 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

I played for 1 day and a half with my wang. ended up 32nd.
What i think of this leaderboard?

Well... first, i hate every single one of my teammates during the event.

the reason: no matter how hard you try to core an opponent, some teammate is always there to land the final shot. The wang does not output damage in a stream... it punches hard and slow.
That alone will strip you 30 points for the solo kill thingy... thats 300 points on a 10 game pool.

scoring system is still revolving around kills (its gotten worse than before).

before: you would have lost only 10 points when the kill was stolen from you. much closer competition.
now: its 30 points now. HUGE score difference even on equal gameplay levels. 30 points is the equivalent of 450 damage...wtf.

a 30 point difference on the final killing blow is hugely punishing. If i'm there to deal the most damage to an enemy, why should i be punished if a jenner jerk just steal the final shot (which does not even benefit him).

maybe i did not play long enough (for that epic game to come)... but i cant stand it. I'm a team player, i provide support, i cover my teammates.... i don't want to play like a jerk by intentionally blocking their line of fire and avoiding target locks.

Same for me, the Wang was handicapped due to the way it deals damage. Add to this the fact that most run ML or MPL so their range is even lower than the AC20, that means that often you start dealing damage much later than the rest of the team. Once you've manouvered into range you have to catch up on damage dealt if you want a solo kill.

This make some of the scores I've seen questionable. I don't think they were achieved in solo queue.

Edited by Catra Lanis, 09 June 2015 - 11:33 PM.

#93 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:33 PM

View PostCatra Lanis, on 09 June 2015 - 11:27 PM, said:

No you don't, ordinary kills also count but gives only 10. Your team giving you 1 or 2 kills now and then can make a big difference over the long run. The chance that it happens in the same match as you get 2 or 3 solo kills increases.

No, Solo Kill is what I'm talking about.

That's a combination of MDD and a Killing Blow.

You can't get it without those.

#94 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:37 PM

I realised after a while that, despite the +20% on the old Heroes, I could still earn more CBills by taking a non-Hero meta Mech.

So I quit running my X-5 when I was 20th on the Leaderboard and went back to alternatively levelling crap Mechs and farming in meta Mechs. Ie business as usual.

As an aside, I was disappointed to run into some larger and supposedly reputable units clearly trying to inflate the tournament score of one of their members. It's not hard to spot... there are seven unit tags on the red team, and at the end of the match just one of them has 7 kills and the others members of his unit have none.

To me that's immoral. When one of my unit members even suggested we do it, the rest of us jumped on him from a great height and explained that we value respect and fair play ahead of tournament scores.

PGI might want to confine individual scores to the non-Group queue in future. While the cheaters will still try to sync-drop, we can at least make it harder for them.

Edited by Appogee, 09 June 2015 - 11:42 PM.

#95 Catra Lanis

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:38 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 09 June 2015 - 11:33 PM, said:

No, Solo Kill is what I'm talking about.

That's a combination of MDD and a Killing Blow.

You can't get it without those.

You get 10 for an ordinary kill. The team can help you with those. Under those circumstances the team can deliberately help you so that you on average get for example 3 solo kills and 2 ordinary kills instead of 3 solo kills and 1 ordinary kill per match over a number of matches. Playing in a group do in fact give you an advantage when it comes to average score.

#96 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:44 PM

View PostAntiCitizenJuan, on 09 June 2015 - 08:58 PM, said:

Placed #4 in Heavy Metal, so I'm satisfied.I'm shelving this thing for a very long time, such an agitating robot to play

Hopefully they will quirk its movement even more, or at least allow us to use bigger engines. It's just too clunky in today's meta.

#97 Duke Nedo

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:47 PM

PGI will have the stats... if most of the top scores happened i the group queue it may mean something. No proof, but a strong indication. I wouldn't guess that entire teams would set out to boost someone (especially with no rewards), but I could see that if they play like normal and when they are up 8-2 in kills and someone calls that he is having a really good round so far and would like to top it up with the final 4 kills... I could see that happening. That could mean some 30-50 extra points or whatever, multiplied by 10 matches, that could mean a lot.

Anyways, all hypothetical... but PGI will have a good idea if they care to look it up.

For me I got to buy and elite the Fang, was quite fun. Nice to be back in Dragons again. 1 good game and 9 ordinary ones in 24 tries, slid just out of top 50 the last hours. Quite happy about that in a mostly non-elited mech. Mainly, team mates were too good to get the real top scores... games ended so quickly it was hard work to reach 500 damage and 2-3 kills... :)

#98 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:47 PM

View PostCatra Lanis, on 09 June 2015 - 11:38 PM, said:

You get 10 for an ordinary kill. The team can help you with those. Under those circumstances the team can deliberately help you so that you on average get for example 3 solo kills and 2 ordinary kills instead of 3 solo kills and 1 ordinary kill per match over a number of matches. Playing in a group do in fact give you an advantage when it comes to average score.

Assist is also worth 10.

The difference is 30 points VS 60 points. Killing Blow makes all the difference.

I just shot things until they died. UACs let you do that.

#99 Rushmoar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:04 AM

View PostAntiCitizenJuan, on 08 June 2015 - 12:24 PM, said:

Let's leave some feedback fellow forum dwellers.
What did you think of the tournament's parameters?
What do you think of the newer scoring formula?
How long did you play?
What did you place in your chassis group if you participated?

I liked using heroes for this. People got to use mechs they paid good cash for and the c-bill bonus was great. Made a lot this weekend. Other heroes will be use for the next event like this one.

The formula seemed damage heavy but all that meant to me is I had to play more games. As a X-5 pilot, I might get 250 damage in a 12 -2 win.

I played a lot on Friday, say 7+ hours. About 4 or 5 on Saturday. Less than 2 on Sunday and zero time on Monday. That was enough to place 28TH in the Cicada X-5 chassis.

I don't have the time like others might have to get the best games. We are talking pug matches after all. I would like to see a game qualifying limit say you only have 40 games to get your 10 best. I realize that this doesn't work for MWO because they want to have people play the whole weekend so they can get the data they need to improve their game.

#100 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:32 AM

View PostCatra Lanis, on 09 June 2015 - 11:32 PM, said:

Same for me, the Wang was handicapped due to the way it deals damage. Add to this the fact that most run ML or MPL so their range is even lower than the AC20, that means that often you start dealing damage much later than the rest of the team. Once you've manouvered into range you have to catch up on damage dealt if you want a solo kill.

This make some of the scores I've seen questionable. I don't think they were achieved in solo queue.

2AC2 Wang, it deals more damage for me than the typical loadout.

View PostAppogee, on 09 June 2015 - 11:37 PM, said:

As an aside, I was disappointed to run into some larger and supposedly reputable units clearly trying to inflate the tournament score of one of their members. It's not hard to spot... there are seven unit tags on the red team, and at the end of the match just one of them has 7 kills and the others members of his unit have none.

To me that's immoral. When one of my unit members even suggested we do it, the rest of us jumped on him from a great height and explained that we value respect and fair play ahead of tournament scores.

PGI might want to confine individual scores to the non-Group queue in future. While the cheaters will still try to sync-drop, we can at least make it harder for them.

I would not be surprised this might have happened. They need to break up some events into Solo or Group Queue, not both, same as CW got its own event.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users