Would A Faster Cooldown On The Ac2 Make It A More Viable Choice? Discussion!

133 replies to this topic

#81 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:59 PM

The thing has to run a xl 185 lol its so slow and it has so little ammo that unless youre on somewhere like canyon network you should be able to kill them well before it is a danger lol

and Ive never seen 3 of those, ever on the same team lol

#82 SolCrusher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 611 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:05 PM

never said they were fast, effective? Sometimes, troll worthy yep. Back then if you got the huge snow map it was easy picking because of the range. People had to take cover, which left our other units free to move about without much resistance.

It by no means was competitive, I only drive my boom jager now. The rest not so much. But 3 AC2 and one AC20 works well on a Jager but you gotta stuff it with an XL run lighter armor and just commit to not staying around the whole match.

#83 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:13 PM

View PostSolCrusher, on 31 August 2015 - 09:05 PM, said:

never said they were fast, effective? Sometimes, troll worthy yep. Back then if you got the huge snow map it was easy picking because of the range. People had to take cover, which left our other units free to move about without much resistance..

So...it was an effective suppression tool?

Impulse should stay. Smoke should stay. Rate of fire should be beefed, heat should be lowered, ammo should be increased by >=33%.

Bam: competent area denial device.

#84 SolCrusher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 611 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:26 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 31 August 2015 - 09:13 PM, said:

So...it was an effective suppression tool?

Impulse should stay. Smoke should stay. Rate of fire should be beefed, heat should be lowered, ammo should be increased by >=33%.

Bam: competent area denial device.

Yep perfect suppression tool it's fun to run just for that. Some will ignore it and those that do normally get crippled. Those that don't go hide, move to another area.

Pulls aggro fairly well, much better at getting a teams attention than a Quad UAC5 crab. But those are a priority target typically so 6 AC2 keep you off a priority list. Most think it's harmless.

I just run around zoomed in and plinking mechs in the distance. Stupid light sniper builds can be legged if they are silly enough to stand in the open with their ERL "reach" weapons.

#85 SolCrusher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 611 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:32 PM

Ran my crab for the 10 mil cbill thing. Avg score was 241.1 with just my Crab, so not many bad matches.

#86 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:38 AM

Guys...
It's an AC2. The smallest of the ACs! Why does it have to be better than it is?

#87 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:42 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 01 September 2015 - 02:38 AM, said:

Guys...
It's an AC2. The smallest of the ACs! Why does it have to be better than it is?

I see what you mean.. However, correct me if i am wrong, but if a weapon is deemed almost useless or not useful enough by most users, i suppose the military would not use it anymore, so either PGI removes the AC2 or changes its stats.

I am not saying that it is an useless weapon, i still have 2 AC/2s mounted on my old K2 and i love their suppression, but this seems to be the most widespread opinion.

#88 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:45 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 01 September 2015 - 02:42 AM, said:

I see what you mean.. However, correct me if i am wrong, but if a weapon is deemed almost useless or not useful enough by most users, i suppose the military would not use it anymore, so either PGI removes the AC2 or changes its stats.

I am not saying that it is an useless weapon, i still have 2 AC/2s mounted on my old K2 and i love their suppression, but this seems to be the most widespread opinion.
The AC2 is a long range pea shooter. It was always used as an annoyance weapon. OR when I was saddled with one, a TAC SEEKER. Oh the stories I have using AC2s to blow up ammo in fresh assaults! :wub:

Mind you I understand the thinking. But I am...
Posted Image
At heart.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 01 September 2015 - 02:47 AM.

#89 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:26 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 01 September 2015 - 02:45 AM, said:

The AC2 is a long range pea shooter. It was always used as an annoyance weapon. OR when I was saddled with one, a TAC SEEKER. Oh the stories I have using AC2s to blow up ammo in fresh assaults! :wub:

Mind you I understand the thinking. But I am...

At heart.

I see.. What about introducing a better crit system instead? That might make the AC2 more useful, quiaff? If you could crit engine, actuators, etc..

#90 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:32 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 01 September 2015 - 03:26 AM, said:

I see.. What about introducing a better crit system instead? That might make the AC2 more useful, quiaff? If you could crit engine, actuators, etc..

Aff! A crit system would be welcomed by me. I know that it flies in the face of The Church of Skillz, but I am happy to be lucky AND good! ^_^

#91 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:07 AM

A

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 01 September 2015 - 03:32 AM, said:

Aff! A crit system would be welcomed by me. I know that it flies in the face of The Church of Skillz, but I am happy to be lucky AND good! ^_^

As abhorrant to a Clan warrior as it may be, someone said it is better to be lucky than good ;)

#92 Coolant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:40 AM

I think a heat reduction would make them slightly more viable.

#93 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,670 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:37 PM

I'm with Fupdup on this, the reason this weapon is so bad isn't necessarily heat (heat doesn't help it mind you), it is the alpha capability. I would love to see the AC class rethought/redone so that AC2s don't have to be rapid fire weapons to be useful. The need for dakka can be replaced by later types of AC2s like the RAC2 and UAC2.

Shifting the standard ACs to a more alpha/alpha supplemental oriented role would give better incentive to mounting them on lighter chassis since weapons that require extensive face time tend to be much worse on lighter mechs than a heavier mech.

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 01 September 2015 - 01:39 PM.

#94 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:43 PM

Heat reduction and a tonnage reduction would make them amazing.....
ROF is fine but they could offer a module...why not? Add another 8% or something....

#95 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:55 PM

I'm just hoping for a cooldown reduction and maybe a heat reduction, further the ability for it to suppress an enemy, at the moment one AC2 is about as good as a Large Laser at suppression, takes a boat to make it scary enough to hold them back.

As for boats, why not allow a buff to get through to an AC2 boat? The AC5 boat is better anyway, and still would be even if the AC2s had lower cooldown and heat simply because one would be for DPS and the other would be used for heavy burst damage. An AC2 takes 36 seconds of continous fire and face time just to do 100 damage, not to mention 50 rounds or the miserable damage spread. We'd also have to remember that in a boat the AC2 runs much much hotter than the AC5

If anything we could at the very least just get the 12% cooldown module for the AC2 to standardize all the weapons (the damage dealing ones that is).

#96 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:57 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 01 September 2015 - 01:55 PM, said:

I'm just hoping for a cooldown reduction and maybe a heat reduction, further the ability for it to suppress an enemy, at the moment one AC2 is about as good as a Large Laser at suppression, takes a boat to make it scary enough to hold them back.

As for boats, why not allow a buff to get through to an AC2 boat? The AC5 boat is better anyway, and still would be even if the AC2s had lower cooldown and heat simply because one would be for DPS and the other would be used for heavy burst damage. An AC2 takes 36 seconds of continous fire and face time just to do 100 damage, not to mention 50 rounds or the miserable damage spread. We'd also have to remember that in a boat the AC2 runs much much hotter than the AC5

If anything we could at the very least just get the 12% cooldown module for the AC2 to standardize all the weapons (the damage dealing ones that is).

I dont think it can use a 12% cooldown...i think it would cooldown before it fired at that point....i might be very wrong.

#97 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:05 PM

View PostDarthRevis, on 01 September 2015 - 01:57 PM, said:

I dont think it can use a 12% cooldown...i think it would cooldown before it fired at that point....i might be very wrong.

Would just make its cooldown about 0.63 of a second rather than 0.72, no black magic voodoo here.

#98 M4rtyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 691 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:15 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 01 September 2015 - 02:42 AM, said:

The question you have to ask is if it's the AC2's fault or the other weapons that it's not effective.

Right now lasers are king because they don't have their biggest drawback, heat, playing a big role. so why take AC2's and ammo when you can just get ERLL's. Sure the AC's have more range but it's rare you're going to see engagements byond the ERLL range.

Beyond that Gauss, or to a less effect UAC's, will always win out for a ballistic hardpoint. The stupid thing is the mechs that start with AC2's were originally designed as anti-air mechs. So further invalidates their usefulness in MWO.

Edit: AD's do runn to hot in comparison to lazers though.

Edited by M4rtyr, 01 September 2015 - 02:16 PM.

#99 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:26 PM

View PostCoolant, on 01 September 2015 - 06:40 AM, said:

I think a heat reduction would make them slightly more viable.

only for AC2 Boats, why because even Firing 2AC2s continuously they are not that hot,
you will Chew through 6tons of Ammo(2minutes fire) before you get over 10% heat in a 10-14 DHS mech!
so AC2 heat would only be a problem if you are planing on boating 4-6 AC2s, so no problem at all,

View PostDarthRevis, on 01 September 2015 - 01:57 PM, said:

Andi Nagasia said:

the thing is with how the Chain Fire Mechanic is designed,
you cant fire Ballistics or Missiles faster than 0.6sec as its hard locked to that,

for an Example take an Elited WarHawk/Nova into Training Grounds Both with both Ballistic arms,(-25% cooldown)
Equip 2UAC2/2AC2 and a couple tons of ammo, take these Mechs into Training Grounds(map doesnt matter),
First Chain Fire your AC2s, after that just hold down Fire on one of your AC2s, you will notice the difference,

yes it would but 0.52 would let it fire faster than Chain Firing 2AC2s, making 1AC2 Viable for some Lights,

#100 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:40 PM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 01 September 2015 - 02:26 PM, said:

only for AC2 Boats, why because even Firing 2AC2s continuously they are not that hot,
you will Chew through 6tons of Ammo(2minutes fire) before you get over 10% heat in a 10-14 DHS mech!
so AC2 heat would only be a problem if you are planing on boating 4-6 AC2s, so no problem at all,

yes it would but 0.52 would let it fire faster than Chain Firing 2AC2s, making 1AC2 Viable for some Lights,

... or just... ya know... firing 2 AC2s without chain firing.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users