Consumables Destroy Tactics And Mech Builds/roles

142 replies to this topic

#1 happy mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 08:41 AM

i think game would be better without consumables, unless they are a major revenue for pgi

what you think?

Edited by happy mech, 06 June 2015 - 10:06 AM.

#2 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 06 June 2015 - 08:41 AM

I think.
"Splash. Splash. Splash"
"Fire for effect"

#3 Mudhutwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:13 AM

I like em' UAVs are obvious for the c-bills a properly placed one can generate. Arties for the fact I get kills with them all the time. Sometimes it makes more sense to core a mech or leg them and drop an arty and move on to the next target. Many times I have turned away and opened up on a fresh target to hear the warhorn go off. It's a great feeling.

I seem to kill a lot more than be killed by them. I assume its because many just don't know how to employ them properly or avoid them.

#4 Cebi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:17 AM

I think they should be limited to certain mechs (i.e. scouts) to reinforce role warfare. And get rid of the credit cost whilst you're at it; no need penalise scouts financially!

#5 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:21 AM

Nerf warriors....

#6 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:25 AM

Your headline is factually incorrect. Consumables enhance tactics, it doesn't destroy them.

#7 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:32 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 06 June 2015 - 09:25 AM, said:

Your headline is factually incorrect. Consumables enhance tactics, it doesn't destroy them.

yeah because spamming an instant cast beacon that calls in AOE magic missiles after a couple seconds is ******* harcore tactical simulation elements man.

Consumables are dumb as hell, the way they function is stupid, and the way they are purchased and equipped is imbalanced.

There should be NO ADVANTAGES that do not cost CRITICAL SLOTS OR TONNAGE.

The whole module system is grind padding ******** that widens the gap between new players, and us vets who drive them away playing to PGIs terrible systems.

Edited by LordBraxton, 06 June 2015 - 09:32 AM.

#8 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:32 AM

View PostCebi, on 06 June 2015 - 09:17 AM, said:

I think they should be limited to certain mechs (i.e. scouts) to reinforce role warfare. And get rid of the credit cost whilst you're at it; no need penalise scouts financially!

I think that the whole module system should be revamped a second time, this time focusing on actual module class differentiation. The current system of mech/consumable/weapon doesn't have anything to do with roles or strengths/weaknesses. The consumable slot in particular is a blatant money sink, trying to get you to pay to fill up all of your mod slots (before the mod update you could fill up all your slots with passive mods).

There should be a lot more specific categories for "Modules 3.0" or whatever we want to call it.

The categories that I would start with would be the following:

Scout/Recon/Sensors: These modules will either help you gather info about the red team, or hide info from the red team. Includes Seismic Wallhack, Radar Derp, UAV, Target Decay, Sensor Range, Target Info, and 360 Targeting.

Offense: These modules are for mechs who take the fight right to the front door. Right now this would mostly entail weapon cooldown mods. Coolant Flush might go here as well?

Defense: These modules are for being a hardass and not dying, things that make you tougher. Right now we only have Advanced Gyros for this category, and it's laughably underpowered... We need more defensive-focused modules. Stuff like increased internal structure on certain body sections (i.e. "Center Torso Structure Module"). Maybe add a consumable turret drop if PGI really insists on their money sinks.

Support: Similar to offense, but less about direct confrontations and more about being methodical and keeping the red team at arm's reach. Weapon range modules would go here, along with Artillery and Airstrikes. I think that Advanced Zoom might go here too.

Mobility: Modules that make you maneuver better. Right now our only mobility mods are Speed Retention and Hill Climb. We need more mods in this category, like a small speed boost (+5%), some agility mods, JJ boost, etc.

Generalist: This module slot type exists for mechs whose role is to be a versatile jack-of-all-trades. This slot type can fit any module from any other category. This namely applies to most mediums, along with some other various mechs here and there.

Those are the only ones I can think of for now. After doing all that jazz above, module slot categories would actually pertain to a mech's role or strengths/weaknesses rather than the current way-too-broad system that doesn't do such.

Edited by FupDup, 06 June 2015 - 09:37 AM.

#9 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:33 AM

View PostLordBraxton, on 06 June 2015 - 09:32 AM, said:

yeah because spamming an instant cast beacon that calls in AOE magic missiles after a couple seconds is ******* harcore tactical simulation elements man.

Consumables are dumb as hell, the way they function is stupid, and the way they are purchased and equipped is imbalanced.

There should be NO ADVANTAGES that do not cost CRITICAL SLOTS OR TONNAGE.

Yeah cause Grunts carry heavy artillery to the front line in their A.L.I.C.E. packs.

#10 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:40 AM

Consumables were the reason i quit the game in the first place.
I'm back now, but i still hate them and i'd jump for joy if they got removed (especially the ******* UAVs... Oh god, nothing more hate-inducing than having a mech without arm-mounted weapons and not being able to take out the UAVs... And it seems no matter how much you shout in chat "UAV [coordinates]!!" nobody ******* listens)

#11 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:43 AM

Consumables ARE a tactic, at least arty and strike are...

As is learning how to deal with them

#12 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:46 AM

@LordBraxton. You seem to bitching about their implementation. I mearly stated they increased tactical behaviors, which is true. I don't know how anyone can argue they don't serve a tactical purpose, especially in Cw.

Perhaps we are not understanding each other.

#13 happy mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:05 AM

imo light mechs should be better as scouts rather than as dps machines, with uavs (and ecm, seismic, 2.0-3.5 sec lock, 800m sensor range) this role is negligible

assaults too could be great pushers and something you need to protect for this purpose, but with arti and strikes anybody can push, not to mention the headshots

so imo the consumables and some modules are doing too much work that should be carried out by mechs and they should be more dependant on each others roles to work as a team

#14 AntiCitizenJuan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:22 AM

I think there needs to be a much bigger cooldown between airstrike and arty cooldowns. The **** is not fun.

#15 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:37 AM

UAVs kill brawlers, Arty kills brawlers, snipers, and assaults. Coolshot reinforces the laser meta.

Consumables never made the game better, they just made it more frustrating. A single UAV can win a game depending on positioning

Edited by Fate 6, 06 June 2015 - 10:37 AM.

#16 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:54 AM

^ Without UAVs it is impossible to negate the ECM of massed Hellbringers. How are you going to focus fire when they all have the same appearance and paint scheme?

BAP is crap, don't tell me there will ever be enough CECM to burn through.

#17 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:59 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 06 June 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

^ Without UAVs it is impossible to negate the ECM of massed Hellbringers. How are you going to focus fire when they all have the same appearance and paint scheme?

BAP is crap, don't tell me there will ever be enough CECM to burn through.

Well, it's probably because ECM should be ******* reworked COMPLETELY FROM SCRATCH, because it's absolutely broken...

#18 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:14 AM

UAV and Coolshot are the best consumables. Not the best in that they're most effective, but they're most balanced, and are exactly what consumables should be.

UAV, you choose when to use it, it gives your team a wealth of info, but the other team can shoot it down.
Coolshot, doesn't directly damage the enemy, and very useful when you cannot disengage the enemy to cool down. I like it because using it can make you feel over confident, and you end up in a worse position than you started off with.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 06 June 2015 - 11:14 AM.

#19 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:16 AM

They almost seem balanced in solo queue, though I hate them I don't see more than 3 in a match and I mean both sides.

In group queue which I drop with a friend, if you bunch up, strike after strike will rain on you, I feel like I'm constantly pointing out smoke on coms or getting knocked around with my whole cockpit bouncing for joy.

Clan war also seems to bring the artys out, especially those that are near death and suicide arty, which is fun.

#20 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:20 AM

View PostXetelian, on 06 June 2015 - 11:16 AM, said:

They almost seem balanced in solo queue, though I hate them I don't see more than 3 in a match and I mean both sides.

In group queue which I drop with a friend, if you bunch up, strike after strike will rain on you, I feel like I'm constantly pointing out smoke on coms or getting knocked around with my whole cockpit bouncing for joy.

Clan war also seems to bring the artys out, especially those that are near death and suicide arty, which is fun.
It would be great if any players were within proximity to the arty blast, that you hear bithin betty "Air strike inbound to your position" or just "incomming air strike" and then you atleast know what's going on.
People love to put the smoke flare just behind you and if you don't see that you're F$#%ed. Over. And Over. And Over Again.

It's all we need to balance Arty and Air Strike.

The smoke rises too slow when it's used, and after the shells drop, it lingers too long.

It needs a lot more polish. As far as I'm concerned, it's a very flawed/half assed consumable.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 06 June 2015 - 11:22 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users