Gauss

62 replies to this topic

#1 Dingo Battler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:10 PM

I've always wanted to use Gauss rifles, the name is cool, the concept is cool, its hard to use and needs a degree of skill, and I've more or less gotten the hang of poking/closer range combat and want to try something new.

I've been playing mid range/brawling Timber Wolves, netting a 2.5KDR, 400dmg average. Build is UAC20, 4xMPL (sometimes even with SRMs). So the way I've been playing is waiting for the enemy to come close then punch them to hell along with the deathball.

Now I'm trying out the Gauss+LPL+3ERML build I found on metamech. The problem is, its obviously very hard to brawl with gauss, so I stay away. Then, I never see the enemy, and cannot contribute damage, so I stray in, then get owned by some brawler. Either that, or I stay away, ping off a few gauss and LPL shots, don't contribute enough, and get rolled. I'm finding hard to even break 100dmg, and it is pretty traumatic. I have absolutely no idea how to improve. My KDR is currently 0 on that build, in 5 games.

The Gauss seems to deal pathetic damage. 2 alphas into the CT of an atlas using a brawler build is enough to kill it. In real time, its almost 5 seconds of shooting to kill anything. I counted the number of alphas, using the gauss build and it took me 4.5 alphas just to core it. This translates into about 30 sec. of shooting IF,I can hit CT. I understand its 15 dmg, but its really slow to cooldown, not to mention charge.

I'm comfortable with its charge. I use the headphones to listen for the 2 mechanical clicks then release the mouse button. I bind the gauss to LMB, the LPL to RMB, and the 3xERML to the 3rd mouse button. I'm finding it a bit confusing to shoot the ERML (3MB is on the side of the mouse) so that might be what's holding me back.

Also, do gauss users expect a good KDR, or do they just focus on damage? I play PUG only, if that helps.

#2 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:33 PM

Gauss is a very efficient weapon when it comes to delivering damage. It's 15 points, wherever you want. As long as you can aim, you can use it like a scalpel, and remove limbs left and right.

It's one of my best weapons on account of that PP FLD. If you can aim, you can take it to the bank.

#3 Kwea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 374 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:59 PM

Try using more than one, like a K2 with double gauss. It's stilla good mech even if sniping isn't the meta any more.

#4 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:14 PM

Set the gauss rifle on EVERY FIRING GROUP that is not currently in use, that way many green icons flash around your crosshairs when it is ready to fire rather than just one. Its also very IMMERSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:10 PM

bind the ERML with the gauss. quick click you get ERML only, hold down the button and by the time the ERML are done firing the gauss is charged and you can fire it

worked brilliantly for me

Edited by JagdFlanker, 15 June 2015 - 06:11 PM.

#6 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:28 PM

So, I too decided to learn to master the gauss charge, but I took a different approach. See, what your doing here? your bringing other, real weapons. They are like a crutch. Useful, yes, but do they help the guass stand alone in it's own right?

No. Not yet. You must first learn the gauss, and only then add other weapons to it.

Now to be fair, I don't think you need to gear down an FS9-H like I did, or get an urbanmech (which is now a thing) in order to train your gauss. You could, in fact, add two gauss to one heavy. I currently run amok with the Gauss-Bringer. A loki with an ECM two gauss and five tons of ammo. Sadly, I bring like, a third the armour.

My gauss is my armour. You hit anyone looking at you for 30 damage in one go, hopefully near if not on the head, and they go looking at someone else. 30 damage in one shot is just scary fun.

~Leone, Raid Leader of the Crimson Hand.

Edited by Leone, 16 June 2015 - 01:22 AM.

#7 GenghisJr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:55 PM

View PostJagdFlanker, on 15 June 2015 - 06:10 PM, said:

bind the ERML with the gauss. quick click you get ERML only, hold down the button and by the time the ERML are done firing the gauss is charged and you can fire it

worked brilliantly for me

I like this method too, you can use the lasers to fine tune your aim. Just be careful of letting go the button too early firing the weapon, you dont carry enough ammo to waste. An advantage of gauss is that the target most often wont know where they are being fired on from, I suggest at distance, you delay using energy weapons which give away the position until you have been spotted and fire is being returned. A lot of people like gauss in the torso, I dont its a bomb waiting to go off though this may not be the same issue for clans as it is IS because of CASE. I prefer arm hard points, mainly for aim but also for survivability.
Practice with this weapon, dump some lasers in the mech lab, load up on ammo and ht the training ground with 10T of ammo to practice with. Its easy to use when your stationery but moving while shooting does take a bit of skill, terrain, timing etc. Now with your new found proficiency, find 10,000GXP buy the target info gathering module and go component hunting. TIG and gauss is a love affair.

#8 Wolf486

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:27 PM

Sure thing, start by complaining about the firing mechanic. Explain how the delay is not realistic and how it's just a way to make a good weapon bad. Then go on to explain that it was just poor judgement to have the delay charge fire in the first place. Finish by pointing out how no other MW game ever had this or had any problem with the Gauss being to OP.

Good luck!

#9 Brut4ce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLand's End

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:30 PM

View PostWolf486, on 15 June 2015 - 10:27 PM, said:

Sure thing, start by complaining about the firing mechanic. Explain how the delay is not realistic and how it's just a way to make a good weapon bad. Then go on to explain that it was just poor judgement to have the delay charge fire in the first place. Finish by pointing out how no other MW game ever had this or had any problem with the Gauss being to OP.

Good luck!

LOL! Thats definetely a good guide on how to use the Gauss rifle :D :D :D !

#10 Domoneky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:34 PM

Want to use the Gauss? Don't Equip it.

#11 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:37 AM

View PostDomoneky, on 15 June 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

Want to use the Gauss? Don't Equip it.

Careful Domonkey, that's my baby you're talking about XD.

#12 K1ttykat

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC, Canada

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:52 AM

15 damage for 1 heat at huge range, that's a circus of value right there. The charge will become a non-issue as you get used to it. Try to look at the weapon group icon, it turns green slightly before the sound would have you think it's ready.

its obviously very hard to brawl with gauss, so I stay away. Then, I never see the enemy,

Is it hard? You have a 49 damage alpha to work with and part of that is almost free of heat. You need to be aimed at your target for longer than it takes to fire your gauss, to finish your laser duration so you should be able to get the gauss shot in (though I like to shoot gauss first). You should be keeping at the 400m range of your nediums. Your gauss is there as free backup for your lasers and to allow you to hit long range targets when necessary.

#13 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:33 AM

If you're going to Gauss with a Heavy, then you need to take two Gauss and play a dedicated sniper. If you're only taking one Gauss, then you need to take a Medium where you have enough speed and maneuverability to continue changing your sniping position.

You are right to stay back and avoid brawling with the Gauss. It gets destroyed far too easily to got close. I typically have best results at about 500-600 meters. You're close enough to track and fire quickly while being far enough away to take evasive action if the battle line moves your way. Any farther than 600 meters, and you risk getting ambushed by Lights or being too far away to take advantage of those fleeting target windows.

Gauss is the definition of a niche weapon. It takes a lot of skill to use and a lot of patience. Personally speaking, I don't do very well with the weapon and dislike it. I prefer an AC/10. That being said, I run one on my Summoner to great effect; I just have to be very, very careful and make every shot count.

Think of Gauss as a low damage, high precision weapon. You're not trying to accrue damage points so much as you are trying to precisely destroy specific components at range. As such, don't be alarmed if your damage scores go down. When you play Gauss, you are trying to boost your component destructs and kills, not your damage.

As for a Timby, I run a Gauss on one of mine. It's okay, but it feels awkward on it. I feel like the Summoner is the better Gauss Mech because of its JJs and increased maneuverability.

Also, one last thing, as a Timby, you will be focus-fired more than other chassis, which means that you will lose your Gauss very rapidly.

#14 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:43 AM

View PostLeone, on 15 June 2015 - 09:28 PM, said:

I currently run amok with the Gauss-Bringer. A loki with an ECM two gauss and five tons of ammo. Sadly, I bring like, a third the armour.

Sounds exactly the same as playing a triple gauss Illya except 2 times as fast and less armor, which basically cancels out...

#15 theta123

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:45 AM

View PostWolf486, on 15 June 2015 - 10:27 PM, said:

Good luck!

Gauss is OP and already the alpha king in the ballistic class. I use the gauss alot myself

#16 Dingo Battler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 357 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the reply on the topic. I've been increasing my use of gauss, and find it easier to use as a hard-to-use autocannon. I definitely need more practice on firing it alongside lasers.

The advice to bind it to all the other non-used groups definitely helped, as the huge green reticle is a fantastic indicator.

I've been engaging both at far range, medium, and up close. I'm finding that I do far more damage when I'm part of the deathball, rather than sniping from the back. The 660 range is a bit funny too, I can see people using enhanced zoom, but can't really damage them. Same for the LPL I'm carrying. I find myself either standing at 700+m and dealing no damage to each other, getting picked off by people with ERPPCs, or getting bum rushed by a swarm of light/mediums.

I'm still trying to engage and further distances, as I don't need 3 mid-range brawling timberwolves, and I think its good to learn a new skill, which is why I'm still keeping the LPL. What currently works best is standing slightly outside the deathballs and pinning down targets of opportunity, but rushing in when the deathball goes in. Sometimes I do get carried away, and not notice the deathball rushing in, or enemies creeping up.

One of my best matches was when another lancemate and myself kept an assault lance pinned down behind the container ship at crimson strait. We poured everything we had into them, while the rest of the deathball mopped up everyone else below the platform. Ended up with 330dmg, 0 kills, but was pretty satisfied, as I was training to snipe them from afar.

Will continue to train up and let everyone know how's it going.

#17 Typhon27

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 210 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:40 PM

In addition to binding it to all the unused groups, I found it useful to separate it from the other weapons by firing it with the space bar. Therefore your other weapons are fired from the mouse with the right hand, and the space bar is held down and released by the left thumb.

I also like to envision I am drawing back on a giant bow and releasing when ready.

Good luck!

#18 Rebel816

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:04 PM

Remember to put all your guass ammo in the same section with your guass rifle. it has low hit points and gets destroyed easily. the ammo doesnt explode if it gets hit and makes for good crit-padding.

personally i like the guass + 5 erml timber. guass in the right arm, 2 lasers in the left, and 3 in the torso. left and right mouse buttons for their respective arm and the 3 lasers in the torso on the side button under my thumb. start charging as i step out of cover, fire everything and duck back in....or keep firing if possible.

#19 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:58 PM

View PostDONTOR, on 14 June 2015 - 08:14 PM, said:

Set the gauss rifle on EVERY FIRING GROUP that is not currently in use, that way many green icons flash around your crosshairs when it is ready to fire rather than just one. Its also very IMMERSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This really improved my gauss firing. Most of my Executioner kills have come from the gauss (1 solitary gauss, but still good)

#20 Dingo Battler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 01:35 AM

Quick update. Found that I'm not charging up my gauss the same time I fire my lasers, so that's something I really need to work on. Any tips?

Also, found that I need to play aggressively to win at pugging. With my other brawler/DPS timbers, I push in quickly, get 1-2 kills, then everything falls into place. Those first few kills are so essential, which brings me back to the fact that I need to get used to the gauss at brawling.

Good match today was at river city night. Someone blew off my left torso, leaving me with nothing other than a gauss rifle and a LPL. I actually used the gauss to backstab a guy in the tunnel, and got a kill. Brawled with a Mad Dog, and finished him off with a gauss shot, and then a badly injured raven by just blocking it with my face and pumping gauss shots into it, before they came in to mop me up. Really lucky.

I really need to learn how to DPS people to death, instead of mopping up badly injured mechs. I forget to use it after the first shot, because I neglect to check cooldown. For other weapons, I just press-spam it till the laser/bullet comes out. Any tips?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users