So, Am I Bad Man Because I Kinda Don't Wan't The Urbanmech To Release For Cbills...... Ever?

145 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:50 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to cry and complain when it does.

I just kind of feel the Urbie is something of a special case.

It exists solely because some of us pestered Russ mercilessly until he finally capitulated, and even then, we had to put up or shut up, and meet a certain sales goal before it would even be made available.

And UrbieNation did just that.

We put our hard earned money, sight unseen, on the potential for our favorite sub-optimal, minimally viable product, because we loved the underdog. And even with it's "massive" (compared to canon) potential speed, it's still tied with the absolute slowest Light Mechs in the game at the best case, without the advantages of Clan XL, Endo and FF, or lighter, smaller clan weapons.

And we did. And Russ and company rewarded us with a fun Urbie Launch Countdown, and a better than anticipated, but still mid tier at best little trashcan.

So why shouldn't we feel a little protective, have a little sense of proprietary ownership about the one Mech in game that WE made happen?

If someone really wants to try the "P2W" argument? Now would be an excellent time to say nothing before you look really dumb. Yes, it spins like a top. A somewhat slow top. And in no way is remotely P2W because one has tons of options in the Lightweight class that are just hands down BETTER.

It may be "P2BeExclusive", but there is a distinct lack of "win" for it to be "Pay2Win".

So there. I said what I know a lot of Urbie owners have thought, but didn't want to look like the bad guy by saying. We made it happened, we paid for it, why should all the doubters receive it obamacare style?

*shrug* As I said, I won't really care when it inevitably does become available for the space poor (take a deep breath and grow a sense of humor), but if ever there was a chassis that was uniquely positioned to forever live like Heroes and Champs, as pay only, I would say the Urbie has earned that place.

Flame away, welfare nation! ;)

#2 reign

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 459 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:52 AM

Nah, As a trashcanian. I say after the fall break we have had our fun, lets spread the joy to everyone!

#3 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:52 AM

You can have it exclusively if you like. I still have no intention of owning one.

#4 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:04 AM

If they still make revenue on them as cash-only, it makes sense to have them stay cash-only.
If the packs have stopped selling, sure, release them for CB for everyone to enjoy.

#5 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:05 AM

View Poststjobe, on 16 June 2015 - 08:04 AM, said:

If the packs have stopped selling, sure, release them for CB for everyone to enjoy.

NEVER!

They're mine mine mine mine MINE!!!!!!!

I don't want to see hordes of filthy casual space poor mech peasants sullying my Trashcan!

My PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!! :P

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 16 June 2015 - 08:07 AM.

#6 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:06 AM

While I appreciate the sentiment, and I don't even want an Urbie to begin with, on the basis of that argument they should never have released the Founders mechs for c-bills. We all ponied up money before there was even a game which fits the description of "sub-optimal" so you can't argue that point against me either.

Actually....go for it. It doesn't affect me. Enjoy your Urbie if they make it exclusive, but I think it would set a bad precedent.

#7 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:08 AM

As StJobe said, if they are still making money as a cash only, keep them cash only, a Pay2BeExclusive is not uncommon in F2P games, plenty of them do exactly that.

But if it's not making money as a cash only, what the hell, let those who haven't seen the Light of Urbantology catch a glimmer of it.

#8 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:09 AM

If it was cheap i wouldnt see a problem with leaving it as mc only because its no way a op light :)

#9 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:09 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 16 June 2015 - 08:05 AM, said:

I don't want to see hordes of filthy casual space poor mech peasants sullying my Trashcan!

But.... Isn't the trash-can where "filthy casual space poor mech peasants" belong?

:blink:

#10 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:11 AM

Sets a bad precedent for the next single chassis release (if any) being behind a paywall only option. The only thing that should be exclusive is the 30% C-Bill unique one which yes, needs to be paid for (obviously).

I don't want Urbies myself... but i'm sure there are those that do want them at some point.

#11 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:11 AM

I am OK with releasing it for CBills, I'll still have my unique (x) variant. The only exclusive, never to be released again mech is the Sarah's Jenner I feel we should still have the option to buy it to support charity. Heck, I'd probably own a couple or more, one for every year of MWO.

#12 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:12 AM

View PostTLBFestus, on 16 June 2015 - 08:06 AM, said:

While I appreciate the sentiment, and I don't even want an Urbie to begin with, on the basis of that argument they should never have released the Founders mechs for c-bills. We all ponied up money before there was even a game which fits the description of "sub-optimal" so you can't argue that point against me either.

Actually....go for it. It doesn't affect me. Enjoy your Urbie if they make it exclusive, but I think it would set a bad precedent.

Precedent has already been set with Sarah's Jenner, though I'll grant it is a special case. Founders mechs were actually in the game before the packages were offered.

#13 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:14 AM

Hey at least they won't be able to buy the badges and titles for cbills ;)

#14 Soy

• 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:15 AM

selfish hipster derpthread

#15 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:19 AM

View PostSoy, on 16 June 2015 - 08:15 AM, said:

I have a beard because I'm too lazy to shave, can't STAND Pabst(any American beer really), and there's no way in any heaven or hell you are getting MY ass into lycra pants, with or without the suspenders!

I think we have someone who needs some help seeing the Light of Urbantology Bishop!

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

View Poststjobe, on 16 June 2015 - 08:09 AM, said:

But.... Isn't the trash-can where "filthy casual space poor mech peasants" belong?

:blink:

this is an exclusive high quality trashcan.
Posted Image
You commoners can stay with your wheeled tupperware trashcans.

#17 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

I think they should keep it as a 'pay-to-use' chassis. It's pretty clearly not pay-to-win, it's cool, but hardly necessary to play - an excellent candidate for being exclusive content.

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:20 AM

View PostSoy, on 16 June 2015 - 08:15 AM, said:

so you feel right at home? :D

#19 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:21 AM

I understand wanting to keep the Urbie as a MC item. With the constant campaigning to PGI and the fund drive to make it happen, it was a special thing for the hard working/financial support player base to see the Urbanmech finally happen. It was our personal reward for our love of the trashcan when many others wrote her off.

However, the Urbanmech is a special mech and it should be piloted by all. Those who can't afford to spend the money or those who don't realize it is worth the money (but would try it for free) should have a chance to experience the fun little mech.

It was our hard work and dedication (financial or otherwise) that made it a possibility, but we didn't really do it for ourselves, we did it for the community as a whole. We few shouldered the financial burden so that the masses could understand how wonderful the Urbanmech is.

The Urbie is a great little mech and it would want to share it's joy and not be constrained to the few. In the true spirit of the Urbanmech, it should be shared by all.

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:21 AM

View PostMalleus011, on 16 June 2015 - 08:19 AM, said:

I think they should keep it as a 'pay-to-use' chassis. It's pretty clearly not pay-to-win, it's cool, but hardly necessary to play - an excellent candidate for being exclusive content.

I know! Let's have a poll! We all know how popular the Phoenix one was! :P

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users