• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 302 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:17 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 08 July 2015 - 09:13 PM, said:

You should read this entire thread

http://mwomercs.com/...chwarrior-when/

And tonite on the way home I saw Venus up in the sky, all nice and bright, and my first thought was "UAV up!" :blink:

Someone help me . . .

#42 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:17 PM

View PostDivineEvil, on 11 July 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

If you're focus on this, no wonder you're noticing. If you'd count for each 100k C-Bills you've earned, that is your mistake. You should instead bother with getting better instead. Set an alternative goal and don't look onto the C-Bills much. Play as much as you're willing to and don't think about minor stuff. Increase your KDR, see what maps or mechs you're bad with and try to fix it, go for the achievements. Spend some money for premium time, it's not that big of a deal, if you compare MWO to books, movies and other games you might've spent money on before. If you limit yourself to the single numerical value, it will never be a fun progression, the same way as work does.

Finally, get social. MWO is a team game. You might be timid, but there's plenty of misconceptions about playing in a unit, but for me joining TCAF was the most major social interaction in games ever. There's so many people to know and try to work together with, and so much depth to the loyalist gameplay and tactics arising, and yet nobody is going to demand anything from you without your concent. In a real team, grind is not that relevant and comes naturally.

You realize that's exactly what I said - aside from the somewhat condescending comments about "getting better," and not being too shy to join a unit? The fact that I can and do have fun playing with my unit doesn't change the fact that the c-bill reward system as such is too slow. It should not be required that anyone join a unit in order to avoid being ground down by the system if they don't want to play socially - the game has a solo queue for a reason.

Edited by Void Angel, 11 July 2015 - 06:19 PM.

#43 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:57 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 11 July 2015 - 06:17 PM, said:

You realize that's exactly what I said - aside from the somewhat condescending comments about "getting better," and not being too shy to join a unit? The fact that I can and do have fun playing with my unit doesn't change the fact that the c-bill reward system as such is too slow. It should not be required that anyone join a unit in order to avoid being ground down by the system if they don't want to play socially - the game has a solo queue for a reason.

Void you really should say what DivineEvil said and just focus on getting good with more skills.
When you stop focusing on c-bills and get over your crippling social anxiety then you can just have fun playing with your unit and other people who join the same team as you. Because honestly c-bills come in way too slow for things you do in game to get paid for and buy mechs and stuff. You just about have to be part of a merc corp or clan group of people to keep the way the game works from really wearing you out when you get better even if some people play games alone by themselves. Thats the whole reason there is a queue other than the queue where you queue up with your team and people and you can drop by yourself so stop worrying about it so much and have fun. You really should stop being timid and gracefully accept your hazing to get into the social pyramid of the group queue which is the real, horrid truth behind joining a unit.

(Your discussion looked like so much fun I had to join in. ;) )

#44 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:14 AM

Har, har, har.

I'm already in a group - I did say that, you know.

#45 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:55 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 12 July 2015 - 11:14 AM, said:

Got room for one more?

#46 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:08 PM

View PostLanzman, on 16 June 2015 - 03:26 PM, said:

New player here, just started two nights ago. Not really asking for help yet since I don't know enough to ask an intelligent question yet, but just wanted to get involved.

So far I've run around the training areas a lot, and played about six real matches (and survived one of 'em!) where I've mostly died a quick, horrible death. Already I see quirks.

I get focused on targeting a bad guy and run into an obstacle where I stop moving and get killed. I focus on navigating the terrain and lose track of the bad guys and get killed. I get a good hit on a bad guy and get all happy and then two of his buddies hit me and I get killed.

So far I'm having even more fun with this than I thought I would. Yeah, the learning curve is steep and I've not been a computer gamer - avoided it as the timesink it is - but I've been a BattleTech fan since the late 80s and after watching a bunch of the Youtube videos I just couldn't resist.

Anyway, just joined and loving it. Thanks.

Welcome!!!

Couple things to help:

Use a keyboard + mouse. Best for aim.

In game settings, reduce your mouse sensitivity to almost 'none'...steadies your aim.

Stay with your group.

Join a Unit and have them train you.

Hope this helps!

#47 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:08 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 12 July 2015 - 11:14 AM, said:

Har, har, har.

Void, I think you're missing the sarcasm detection module. Juxstapo's post had very high levels of it according to mine.

#48 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:32 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 12 July 2015 - 02:08 PM, said:

Void, I think you're missing the sarcasm detection module. Juxstapo's post had very high levels of it according to mine.

You can never trust your Sarcasm Detection Module around jux. His hair scrambles it terribly.

#49 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:10 PM

Hence the "Har, har, har," actually.

#50 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:31 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 12 July 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

His hair scrambles it terribly.

this bizarre slenderman effect, a problem really. Magical ponytail holders keep it relatively contained, but only just.

#51 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 302 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:21 PM

Perhaps a myomer scrunchie . . .

#52 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:14 AM

View PostLanzman, on 18 July 2015 - 08:21 PM, said:

Perhaps a myomer scrunchie . . .

O.O

... It's brilliant!

I'll speak to my wife straightaway (she sources all my hair-subduing whatsis).

an additional +1 for Lanz, btw. anyone who can gracefully accept and then good-naturedly participate in the ridiculous hijacking of his thread will quickly rise in the hallowed halls of "MechWarriors you actually want to play with."

#53 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:36 AM

Good God. I do it too. I had this dream about River City, where I was driving the Glass Cannon (yes, I really named my JM6-A that) in the rearguard of an assault lance, following two Atlases and a Mauler. Suddenly, the battle kicks off, missiles and lasers and PPCs blasting every which way.

And then the music from the fight between the Bulgarians and the Gypsies in the James Bond movie "From Russia, With Love" kicked in.

Hi, my name is Chados and I'm also a noob MWO addict who sucks at the game ;) . The advice to stick with others is right on. It's better with friends. And half the fun is social, I learned that in the old MPBT days on the GEnie service, which is what brought me to MWO in the first place. MWO is very like MPBT was. I plan to join a Kurita unit at some point when I get to where I won't embarrass our Tono on the battlefield, LOL.

#54 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:56 PM

View PostChados, on 19 July 2015 - 08:36 AM, said:

Good God. I do it too. I had this dream about River City, where I was driving the Glass Cannon (yes, I really named my JM6-A that) in the rearguard of an assault lance, following two Atlases and a Mauler. Suddenly, the battle kicks off, missiles and lasers and PPCs blasting every which way.

And then the music from the fight between the Bulgarians and the Gypsies in the James Bond movie "From Russia, With Love" kicked in.

Hi, my name is Chados and I'm also a noob MWO addict who sucks at the game ;) . The advice to stick with others is right on. It's better with friends. And half the fun is social, I learned that in the old MPBT days on the GEnie service, which is what brought me to MWO in the first place. MWO is very like MPBT was. I plan to join a Kurita unit at some point when I get to where I won't embarrass our Tono on the battlefield, LOL.

I may be biased, but I recommend NS. The Night's Scorn are one of the very best Kurita units, and I've had very friendly engagements with them.

#55 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:35 PM

Your Locust guide is making me think about going down in weight class and trading armor for SPEED. LOL.

#56 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:19 PM

View PostChados, on 20 July 2015 - 02:35 PM, said:

Your Locust guide is making me think about going down in weight class and trading armor for SPEED. LOL.

I'm glad you feel that way. I personally would not recommend the Locust for a new player, but it's a better mech now, than when I wrote the guide.

#57 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:42 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 08 July 2015 - 09:13 PM, said:

You should read this entire thread

http://mwomercs.com/...chwarrior-when/

This thread is great! One of my favorite reads lately :D

View PostChados, on 20 July 2015 - 02:35 PM, said:

Locusts are tough, it is probably advisable to start in a different light, like a firestarter or spider...or just go straight to Locusts ...what's the worst that could happen ? ;) but honestly when you read speed is life and don't stop moving it isn't hyperbole it is truth.

Edit: Just wanted to add that Locusts are my main ride so I whole heartedly endorse them!

Edited by 3xnihilo, 20 July 2015 - 03:43 PM.

#58 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 302 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:13 PM

View Post3xnihilo, on 20 July 2015 - 03:42 PM, said:

This thread is great! One of my favorite reads lately :D

Locusts are tough, it is probably advisable to start in a different light, like a firestarter or spider...or just go straight to Locusts ...what's the worst that could happen ? ;) but honestly when you read speed is life and don't stop moving it isn't hyperbole it is truth.

Edit: Just wanted to add that Locusts are my main ride so I whole heartedly endorse them!

It's funny you should say this. After leveling up my three Griffins I've now started playing a Locust. Had to up-armor the thing immediately but lordy is it a blast to scoot around the maps taking potshots at bad guys!

Edited by Lanzman, 26 July 2015 - 04:19 PM.

#59 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:32 PM

View PostLanzman, on 26 July 2015 - 04:13 PM, said:

It's funny you should say this. After leveling up my three Griffins I've now started playing a Locust. Had to up-armor the thing immediately but lordy is it a blast to scoot around the maps taking potshots at bad guys!

The most important thing you can do when you start locusts is go to the Underrated Locust thread in the Light Mech Builds forum. Everything and everyone you need to know regarding locusts can be found there :D

#60 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 302 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:23 PM

That is an awesome thread. I've modded my 1M Locust with 2 SSRM2s and a ML. I get killed a lot but I also got my first kill with it tonite. w00t!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users