• 406 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:49 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d21ee377d9794d9

TBR-A
2x Clan ER PPC
2x Clan LPL
1x Clan MPL

Edited by Alik Kerensky, 19 June 2015 - 12:16 AM.

#62 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:55 PM

this build has everything anyone could ever want lasers, ERPPC and a Guass rifle with plenty of ammo and a targeting computer for the extra boost to stats

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f753213b5298018
1xERPPC
3xER Medium Lasers
1xGuass Ammo
4xTons of Guass ammo
1xTargeting computer Mark 2

Put the lasers or ppc almost anywhere you want due to the omnipods
and with the prime side torso you can fit the guass into the side torso

the choice is yours but this weapons loadout has all you'll ever need leaving room for full armor.

Edited by KursedVixen, 17 June 2015 - 09:57 PM.

#63 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:01 PM

To all the people posting jack-of-all trades builds, those are exactly the kinds of builds you don't want a new player in. New players need to learn to focus on the role of a build. Builds built for every role are awful at every role and a horrible experience for a new player who won't have any goal for how to play the build.

No more than two weapon types and no more than two weapon groups needed should be the goal.

#64 TheCharlatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:06 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...99bc95219d6d398

Simple solid noob friendly brawler build:

3xMPL (1 in each arm, one in CT)
3xSRM6+A
2xJJ
TC Mk1

47% cooling efficency (placing noobs in mechs with 35% ish is not a good idea, IMO).

Edit: fixed smurfy link.

Edited by TheCharlatan, 17 June 2015 - 10:09 PM.

#65 Ysarric

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 8 posts
  • LocationQuiet ol' NC

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:25 PM

TBR-PRIME

This build (with minor variations on the arms) has been my own personal favorite build after the month or so I spent with this mech when it first released. By no means am I a top tier player myself (more like a newb myself with the limited play schedule!), but it's been a comfortable fit.

1 LBX-10 w/ 4t ammo
2 MPL, 2 ERSL (1 per arm)
a small 1ton targeting computer and a total of 23 DHS
64% cooling efficiency

For me, it's a simple weapon grouping when I use it. I set one button to fire the LBX, and the other to fire the arm mounted lasers.

Easy to adjust to fit the ever changing quirk system (ie: it used to be 5ERML instead of the TC and mixed lasers it now has), pretty cool running, and a liiiiitle extra crit seeking with the TC and LBX. A simple fella and I've enjoyed running it when I've had enough free time from work to pilot for a bit! This link does have the armor skimpy in the back, but a lil adjustment can fix that.

Cheers guys!

edit: posted CORRECT build that I intended.
edit2: Loaded the game for the current quirks as of 6/18/2015. This build has the following quirks for hosting only energy mounts in 2 omnipods.
energy cooldown -12%
laser duration +12%

Edited by Ysarric Lightbane, 17 June 2015 - 10:43 PM.

#66 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:26 PM

my most successful Timby build,
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3b4c7ffe5ed7fb2
left torso from the S, all other pods from the Prime,
4 MPL
3 MG
2 LRM15

soften enemies up with the LRMs (works better if you have line of sight) then close and kill them with the MPLs and MGs

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 17 June 2015 - 10:27 PM.

#67 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:33 PM

> Post your Timber Wolf build using a link to your build in Smurfy!

If you can build it from Smurfy components, what is the point? It has to be different from the other timbers so why not

La 2E
Lt 1E/1B/1M 1locked JJ
Ct 1E
Rt 1E/1B/1M 1locked JJ
Ra 2E

Pods cannot be changed, so you cannot P2W these pods onto other mechs. With this config you can pretty much build everything except a lot of (S)SRMs... but that's why there is a TBR-D. Make it simple for the new people, point & click: 2LPL, 4SPLs, 1 TC mk I.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f11e1675ed0b6d9

Long range, short range backup, not too hot, no ammo, nearly full armor mainly front loaded, only two weapon groups, each group with its own reticle if need be. Rearrange components somewhat to meet the above table of hard points. Medium lasers for pulses if you feel so inclined but SLPs are nice when confronted with lights.

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 17 June 2015 - 10:48 PM.

#68 xfirestorm

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSlovenia

My latest playtoy:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a3f5a615067db8e

Well, a variation of it.

#69 Captain Hindsight

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 19 posts

TBR-A(C)

2 er PPCs in the arms are the main weapons

4 Small Pulse for brawling, making crits and hunting those pesky lights

Armor is maxed out except for the legs

Targeting computer MK1 in the Right Torso

Here is the link to smurfy:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...839546df8936710

#70 Bear4188

Rookie

• The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:36 PM

Going at it with the mindset that these champions will primarily be played by newer and less skilled players. They will not have basics if used as a trial mech so heat is an issue. New players are not likely to handle multiple weapon groups well, two is about as much as should be used. Make sure to avoid ghost heat problems.

TBR-C with SSRMS and MPL

Streaks and medium pulse. Both pretty simple weapons to use and quite effective. The streaks in particular will probably be a favorite of new players having trouble with light mechs. Active probe is included as it should be on any streak build and will deal with ECM. Combined with 5 medium pulse it's a respectable amount of firepower at a medium range. Heat is an issue and new players will have to learn when to hold back their fire but it's not like a Nova where a single mistake is death.

Edited by Bear4188, 17 June 2015 - 10:47 PM.

#71 VXJaeger

• The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:38 PM

This should be pretty N00b-friendly:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...775c4d4deb5f489

2* A-LRM15, 810msl
2* ER ML
2* MPL
2* ER SL

#72 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:49 PM

Relatively low heat brawler option, but I like the one with the gauss and mediums and high mount pod posted in page 1, but lasers just don't work for me because HSR.

TBR-PRIME

LB-20X (24 shots), SRM4+A (x3) (25 shots each), MG (x3) (1 ton ammo)

#73 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:51 PM

Gauss/MPL works great these days

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...515968164dd7eae

Edited by Monky, 17 June 2015 - 10:52 PM.

#74 BitGlitch

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 39 posts
  • LocationOutreach, scrounging the back alleys for a drink.

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:53 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7341a0cc2f83293
A bit sparse on the ammo, but it will last through a regular match if you are not trigger-happy.

#75 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:57 PM

I use this loadout in Community Warfare.

Timber Wolf-S
4 Medium Pulse Lasers
2 Machine Guns
2 Stream-SRM 6s
Beagle Active Probe
Targeting Computer Mk. I
Jump Jets

Cool Shot 9-by-9
Cool Shot 6

Improved Gyros
SRM-Streak 6 Range 5 Module
Medium Pulse Laser Cooldown 5 Module

This serves as an excellent light-killer and brawler, especially with the jumpjets to supplement its maneuverability. It can even go toe-to-toe with assault mechs.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...757446def337bec

Edited by Commander A9, 17 June 2015 - 11:00 PM.

#76 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:04 PM

Spit to the face of meta...like i've been doing in the past 12 months. A cool running timber with true classic looks (full ear missiles) and enough punch.
TBR-PRIME

(today is the clan wave 1 anniversary... so a moment of silence for our beloved things that no longer are among us... balance, quality animations, quality meshes... etc ...)

Edited by Navid A1, 17 June 2015 - 11:06 PM.

#77 Túatha Dé Danann

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:15 PM

Well, before you want to introduce a Champion mech, you shall clear up, if have have to stay true to the chassis or if we could switch omni-pods. Just "Build a mech" is not enough.

#78 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:16 PM

The thing about the Timber Wolf is that it can kind of do anything. Since champ builds are ones intended to be decent for new players, I went ahead and put 2 UAC 2's on this for long range poking, 3 SRM 6's for short-ranged brawling, and 4 ERSL's for short range poking.

The UAC 2 is a deceptively dangerous weapon, with a base dps of 2.78 per gun and a very good range. I actually front-cored a KGC today with my experimental Ebon Jaguar build sporting something very similar to this.

The SRM 6 is a bread and butter weapon of many clan builds. The lighter launchers are one of the few weapons system advantages the clans possess over their inner sphere counterparts, and a 36 point shotgun is nothing to sneeze at. An additional plus for newer players since their accuracy may not be very good yet, the SRM spread improves the chances that some missiles will hit stripped areas on mechs that have holes in their armor, while reducing chances that all the missiles will hit there. It's a good stepping-stone intermediate weapon imo.

The ERSL is really only just starting to grow on me, so if anything is wrong with this build, this is probably it. I usually stick to pulse lasers exclusively, especially on clan mechs due to their ridiculously long burn times, but the ERSL is not completely useless, very light, and fairly cool. It doesn't do as much damage per tick as a SPL, but at half the weight, you can put them on nearly any build for nearly equivalent damage against slow moving targets.

With 20 heatsinks, it has decent heat efficiency for its weapons load, though in the event of the pilot using all of them it will overheat rather quickly. So long as the pilot uses discretion with their weapon groups, it should be a very cool mech though.

Moving on to that, a lot of you may question why I elected to put three weapon groups onto a newbie mech. The answer is training. If we teach our newer players to take advantage of more weapon groups now without overwhelming them with too many (stock Timber Prime, I'm looking at you) they'll be better able to take advantage of multiple styles of weapon systems and ranges on the mechs that they build when they get through their cadet bonuses.

I've also slightly front-loaded the armor to improve survivability while emphasizing the tactical importance of positioning, though not so much as an experienced pilot might for that weight class of mech. In essence, I've taken a half-measure of many of the things we who have done this for a while do when building a mech, and implemented it to hopefully give the newer player a taste for how it works. It's also very non-meta, and I know that will please many of you in and of itself for some inexplicable reason.

TBR-PRIME

View PostTallyn, on 17 June 2015 - 08:34 PM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8290cc7538fe5ef

Here's a simple, yet effective TBR-C build, based off a similar one I've used on a TBR-PRIME.
It has the power of twin ER PPCs and a long-range LB 5-X, while two SRM-6 launchers handle close range.

This doesn't look terrible, but I don't know why you'd leave arm actuators off when you can afford to fit them.

View PostKrivvan, on 17 June 2015 - 10:01 PM, said:

To all the people posting jack-of-all trades builds, those are exactly the kinds of builds you don't want a new player in. New players need to learn to focus on the role of a build. Builds built for every role are awful at every role and a horrible experience for a new player who won't have any goal for how to play the build.

No more than two weapon types and no more than two weapon groups needed should be the goal.

Respectfully, I have to disagree. I'm not saying you need to hand these guys the hot mess that is the stock Timber Prime, but if you make the game a one-button press thing, they aren't going to learn how to use more complex builds, nor are they going to gain familiarity with very many weapons systems since you're limiting them to one or two similar ones per mech. If they need to, they can put the SRM's and the ERSL's on the same button on my build, but they're going to benefit more from learning each weapon's advantages and limitations.

View PostACE558, on 17 June 2015 - 10:53 PM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7341a0cc2f83293
A bit sparse on the ammo, but it will last through a regular match if you are not trigger-happy.

Very close to my build, though you trade ammo and stopping power for artemis and a laser "upgrade." I wouldn't, but that's because I loathe the lengthy burn time on most clan lasers, and the mediums heat you up fairly quickly. The artemis...eh. I'd rather have the extra launcher, personally. I also note that you front-loaded the armor more than I did. That's kind of a "season to taste" thing though.

#79 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:19 PM

Smurfy is slow and crappy. Having a lot of trouble with the links. Bad call using it PGI.

Will edit with a build if I can. Though I expect to be shunned for my opinion.....

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4f08d76de702137

It is my prime build, and find it to be ok.

But would have submitted a Prime with a PPC in each arm and two medium pulse in each of the side torsos, not mounted high, and two lrm 15. Remembering my favourite from MW2.

The above not possible in smurfy. (the MW2 build)

Edited by Dirk Le Daring, 17 June 2015 - 11:28 PM.

#80 Taj

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 153 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLodz, Poland

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:19 PM

Mad 'Lazar' Cat with a jump :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic