6 replies to this topic

#1 RavensScar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:48 AM

Is there any indication whether the IIC mechs are going to be their own chassis, or variants of the existing mechs?

If PGI have suggested they're going to be a pack with the same price as the Resistance Packs, I'd expect there to be 3 variants per chassis, with each mech a new chassis in its own right.

However, the Jenner IIC is the only one with any possible variants. According to Sarna, the Orion IIC doesn't even have any variants.

So, what do we think? Variants of the IS versions, or new chassis with a whole load of PGI variants?

Edited by RavensScar, 27 June 2015 - 04:27 AM.

#2 Stonefalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:59 AM

PGI have definitely considered iic mechs in the past. Their founder's launch of the hunchback claims a con of the hunchback is that it doesn't have two big guns... yet.

https://youtu.be/CYOoJ6t5R14?t=33s

While people would complain if PGI added them as existing variants requiring leveling up of the IS variants in order to master the Clan variant, it is the most sound way to implement the iic.

Edited by Stonefalcon, 27 June 2015 - 02:48 AM.

#3 SaltBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:00 AM

I think they should skip variants and just add them on at the gift store. If you already got 2 Jenner's it will be easy to elite it.
Lower price tag and single mechs sold, not saying other 2c varients cannot be added later.

Edited by SaltBeef, 27 June 2015 - 02:00 AM.

#4 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:07 AM

More than likely to have their own section in the skills tree. I fully expect IIC mechs to be a mech chassis of their own.

#5 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:07 AM

I would be thrilled if the PGI finally gave up forcing players to own 3 variants in order to master a mech. It's time. The game is pushing on 3 years old, we've got 200 different variants and probably 50 more on their way in the near future.

Let it go.

Let the players just enjoy themselves. In terms of different mechs, there's enough content to last a lifetime, for most people. Just let go of the grind.

#6 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:21 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 27 June 2015 - 02:07 AM, said:

I would be thrilled if the PGI finally gave up forcing players to own 3 variants in order to master a mech. It's time. The game is pushing on 3 years old, we've got 200 different variants and probably 50 more on their way in the near future.

Let it go.

Let the players just enjoy themselves. In terms of different mechs, there's enough content to last a lifetime, for most people. Just let go of the grind.

GXP man, GXP.

Although I would fully support removing the 3 variant prerequisite to master. I hear a lot of new casual players going "I have to do what now?" And they quickly run the numbers of how much c-bills they've earned. How much they need, and you can just feel them on the other side of the microphone throwing their hands in the air looking around trying to find the time for it.
It is more than a little frustrating for them.

But we both know it's not that easy. It would take a complete rework of the skill system. And I hate to say it but GXP is a good idea. I'd like to see the importance of it remain.

The grind isn't so bad. Some tag along players that don't buy packs only feel they need to own one variant of a mech, and it seems a lot of them are OK - and would continue to be OK - with the grind as long as they aren't forced to sink millions of hard earned c-bills only to buy and retrofit two other new mechs that they don't really want.

I'm convinced that the 3 variant requirement actually acts as a barrier for those people who don't want to own a whole fleet of one kind of mech. I don't blame them. Especially when we have Mechs like the Wolfhound, Crab, Black Knight... which are all basically identical in hardpoints. You really wonder why you have to master -three- of them. Aside from higher engine caps on some variants, they don't really offer any different from each other.

And in all honesty, most players starting off don't know what they want to play. When they finally find a mech chassis they like, they have 3 different chassis in their hangar, and no variants. The skills tab concept is lost on a lot of them, and it disheartening when they find out what position they're in.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 27 June 2015 - 02:27 AM.

#7 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:38 AM

Jenner 2C not much different than Standard Jenners minus clan tech ...does NOT need it's own pilot tree.

Clan XL check JJ check Steaks check eat firestarters for lunch. :) Nom NOm!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users