#41 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:43 PM

View PostBloodweaver, on 02 July 2015 - 04:51 PM, said:

The problem with Commandos is, at its core, the fact that SRMs in MWO are (extremely) underwhelming compared to their effectiveness in TT. The Commando was meant to be an ambush & anti-scout 'Mech in lore. It wasn't particularly fast for its size; instead, it could put out a high volume of damage despite only being 25 tons. The COM-2D had a 25-point alpha. And this in a game where armor only went half as far as it does in MWO, so really, a 50-point alpha in MWO terms. That's not chump change. If SRMs were actually guided missiles, and a single SRM-6 pack was both powerful and reliable enough to be considered a serious threat at close range, the Commando would do much better.

That and crit system in BT was more brutal. Engine crits, gyro, no weapon hp...more things to go wrong, and right for the srm Commando.

#42 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:07 PM

Posted Image

Finally, figured out how to access my screenshots after Windows randomly locked me out, so thought I would share this. It is my favorite "Carry Harder" round. I was completely out of srm ammo, and dueled the Ice Ferret for a long time with just 1 ml before the Twolf showed up and finished me off. But it was an exciting round :)

#43 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:14 AM

So PGI's response to this thread was to increase commando's arm hit boxes?? That will teach me to shut up :rolleyes:

#44 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:19 AM

View Post3xnihilo, on 08 July 2015 - 03:07 PM, said:

Finally, figured out how to access my screenshots after Windows randomly locked me out, so thought I would share this. It is my favorite "Carry Harder" round. I was completely out of srm ammo, and dueled the Ice Ferret for a long time with just 1 ml before the Twolf showed up and finished me off. But it was an exciting round :)

Makes me want to post some of mine!
Also makes me want to hop in my Commando's again!

#45 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:24 AM

While the new tweaks to the netcode has made it far easier to die in a blaze of glory... I still have a few good matches in me...
Posted Image

#46 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:04 PM

View PostDONTOR, on 09 July 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

Makes me want to post some of mine!
Also makes me want to hop in my Commando's again!

I should get my commandos back out, I still need to finish mastering the 3a. If only those blasted locusts weren't so addicting!

#47 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:08 PM

View Post3xnihilo, on 09 July 2015 - 07:04 PM, said:

I should get my commandos back out, I still need to finish mastering the 3a. If only those blasted locusts didn't have better quirks!

FTFY. :P

The last couple of days have been encouraging, despite the COMs getting dumped on yet again with the visual pass. Improved hitreg seems to have taken at least some of the wind out of the FS9's sails (even if it's only temporary, which it probably is) and at least for now there aren't as many 30+ hitscan PPFLD metastarters tooling around. Meanwhile, surprise, surprise, people still aren't that great at hitting things that do 171kph!

Not the worst time to go Commando, at least.

#48 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:20 AM

View PostPS WrathOfDeadguy, on 09 July 2015 - 11:08 PM, said:

FTFY. :P

The last couple of days have been encouraging, despite the COMs getting dumped on yet again with the visual pass. Improved hitreg seems to have taken at least some of the wind out of the FS9's sails (even if it's only temporary, which it probably is) and at least for now there aren't as many 30+ hitscan PPFLD metastarters tooling around. Meanwhile, surprise, surprise, people still aren't that great at hitting things that do 171kph!

Not the worst time to go Commando, at least.

Yeah, the quirks on the locusts really set them apart. I need to find a decent "top speed" 3A build. I am running 2ml, srm10, and xl210 right now, but I really like going fast. It could probably be pretty good with a couple srm2's and ml's or even spl's I suppose.

#49 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:24 AM

The problem with the 3A is, as with the 2D, that it just doesn't have the tonnage to do both big launchers and speed.

It can, however, do a few interesting things. You just need to pick either lasers or missiles as your 'main' weapon if you really want that XL240... but the 1D has the same hardpoints in a more favorable arrangement if you're running single slot launchers, which you most certainly are with that big of an engine.

#50 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:55 PM

Damn.... So hard to carry in a Commando nowadays... :(

#51 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:43 PM

Nice! MPLs look like a good choice, I'll have to try that.

Also real Commando pilots don't whine so this thread is kinda null and void...

#52 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:20 PM

View PostDONTOR, on 10 July 2015 - 02:43 PM, said:

Nice!
Also real Commando pilots don't whine so this thread is kinda null and void...

New title: Commando Pilots Raging Against the Underquirkening Thread!

#53 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:39 PM

View PostPS WrathOfDeadguy, on 10 July 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:

You just need to pick either lasers or missiles as your 'main' weapon if you really want that XL240... but the 1D has the same hardpoints in a more favorable arrangement if you're running single slot launchers, which you most certainly are with that big of an engine.

Totally agree. The 1D is great with dual MPL's/SRM4's. Most of them lack enough hard points for energy boating, and 25 tons isn't exactly enough room to be brimming with weapons. I really enjoy the 3A with 2 SRM6's so I use 2 small lasers and 190XL - speed can be an issue when a speedy light or streakboat catches you, but works great with distracted heavies.

Edited by stealthraccoon, 10 July 2015 - 07:45 PM.

#54 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:00 PM

View Post3xnihilo, on 10 July 2015 - 07:20 PM, said:

New title: Commando Pilots Raging Against the Underquirkening Thread!

Ahh yes much more appealing, we do RAGE!

Edited by DONTOR, 10 July 2015 - 09:01 PM.

#55 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:36 PM

Hmm...I am thinking I need an engine somewhere between the 210 and 240. Is 225 the way to go? I have seen a few builds on here that use that engine.

#56 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:26 PM

I use the 225, the 240 is just so heavy for a mech critically low on tonnage if you plan to make use of the missile hardpoints. My 1B from the pic above runs a 225XL, a slight lack of speed (10 kph) has not hurt it.

#57 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:55 PM

View PostShadey99, on 11 July 2015 - 06:26 PM, said:

I use the 225, the 240 is just so heavy for a mech critically low on tonnage if you plan to make use of the missile hardpoints. My 1B from the pic above runs a 225XL, a slight lack of speed (10 kph) has not hurt it.

I was eyeing up the 2ml, 2 srm4, xl225 3A build that PS WrathOfDeadGuy posted earlier. It is the same loadout I am running, except I have an xl210 in it since I already owned one. I definitely can see where having the extra speed would help me out quite a bit, but like you said, the 240 is just too heavy to really make use of the missile hardpoints.

#58 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:46 AM

View PostBrizna, on 09 July 2015 - 09:14 AM, said:

So PGI's response to this thread was to increase commando's arm hit boxes?? That will teach me to shut up :rolleyes:

So pessimist!

Great shield arms, just remove the arm weapons and put a SRM4 in the CT, BOOM, good to go. Use a STD to tank and zombie.

Zombiecommando, brawler of the future! New Meta!

#59 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 July 2015 - 04:23 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 12 July 2015 - 11:46 AM, said:

So pessimist!

Great shield arms, just remove the arm weapons and put a SRM4 in the CT, BOOM, good to go. Use a STD to tank and zombie.

Zombiecommando, brawler of the future! New Meta!

Does 400 damage before it runs out of ammo if you land every round, but don't worry you won't live that long :P

#60 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:46 PM

View Post3xnihilo, on 12 July 2015 - 04:23 PM, said:

Does 400 damage before it runs out of ammo if you land every round, but don't worry you won't live that long :P

Finally someone who knows how to Commando!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users