Medium 'mechs Re-Scale Vote (Part 1)

96 replies to this topic

Poll: Medium 'Mechs Re-Scale Vote (3815 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Medium 'Mech do you want to have re-scaled the most?

1. Cicada - 40 Tonnage (429 votes [6.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.15%

2. Blackjack - 45 Tonnage (137 votes [1.97%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.97%

3. Voted Ice Ferret - 45 Tonnage (313 votes [4.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.49%

4. Voted Vindicator - 45 Tonnage (302 votes [4.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.33%

5. Hunchback - 50 Tonnage (190 votes [2.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.73%

6. Voted Centurion - 50 Tonnage (1122 votes [16.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.10%

7. Voted Trebuchet - 50 Tonnage (923 votes [13.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.24%

8. Enforcer - 50 Tonnage (136 votes [1.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.95%

9. Voted Nova - 50 Tonnage (1401 votes [20.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.10%

10. Voted Kintaro - 55 Tonnage (275 votes [3.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.95%

11. Voted Shadowhawk - 55 Tonnage (987 votes [14.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.16%

12. Voted Griffin - 55 Tonnage (326 votes [4.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.68%

13. Wolverine - 55 Tonage (191 votes [2.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.74%

14. Voted Stormcrow - 55 Tonage (238 votes [3.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.41%

Vote

#41 Prof RJ Gumby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:18 AM

There shouldn't be 5 mechs per weight class. Meds need rescaling the most, while lights are generally fine and could live without any rescales.

My votes:
Vindicator (45 ton mech shouldn't be that big)
Nova (a bit smaller overall given how wide it is)

Voted only 2 most standing out, but I would honestly take all the meds other than cicada and ice ferret and make them a bit smaller.

#42 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:31 AM

the Lights have the Real BT Size ..all Other Mechs have the Double height ...the Thunderbolt in BT only ~8,5m ,the Shadowhawk ~9,5 m (Abrams M1 Lenght ~9,5m)

Left MWO size, right Real BT size

Posted Image

Posted Image

Problem, by real Size,all mechs have bei same speed make the double Way in time =real Running Animations and all Mechs more difficult Targets

Edited by CSJ Ranger, 04 July 2015 - 04:00 AM.

#43 Geldrin

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:57 AM

I know that the Griffin aren't popular as the Centurion or the Nova, and there's no chance to win this "contest", so -rather than convince the people to vote on this mech-, I'd like to address this message to the developers.

So... dear PGI, I'm kindly asking you to downscale the griffin a little bit!

Right now, It's almost the same size as the Highlander, except the head antenna.
Just take a look at the cockpit, and compare it with any other mechs. Even a car (from Crimson strait) could fit in there! I think everyone can easily realize that the Griffin is one of the most oversized unit, yet nobody cares about this fact.

Despite the result of this vote, please consider to rescale the Griffin.

Thank you.

#44 Ovion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:30 AM

Here are the current mechs, sidebyside:
Posted Image

Also for some, such as the Kit Fox, Adder and Mad Dogs issues would be helped significantly by lowering the torso, rather than the very extended legs.

#45 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:48 AM

I can see the Nova and Trebuchet as leading.
Shadow Hawk does NOT need a fix.

#46 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:09 AM

View PostWildstreak, on 04 July 2015 - 06:48 AM, said:

Shadow Hawk does NOT need a fix.

Almost every medium mech needs to be 10-15% smaller in all axes and the Shadowhawk is certainly no exception. Right now, mediums are the same size as heavies and they need to be halfway between lights and heavies to improve their viability to be equal with the other weight classes.

#47 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:11 AM

My Vindicators weep.

#48 Garou Wolfs Haven

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Indiana

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:09 AM

I vote Trebuchet, I is meant to be a smaller, lighter, and faster response to the Archer (am I allowed to say Archer here?) and the Catapult. For its overall role there isn't really a problem with it being large for a medium but it really should not be as large as an Atlas.

The Shadowhawk is also way too tall for a medium mech but with its overall acceptance in the game I don't see it as important to fix it as I do the Treb. The same goes for the Nova which seems to be leading the pack in the pole at the moment. For all the complaints, it is still getting a lot of use in the game.

It's much more rare to see a Trebuchet then any other medium mech and that is mainly due to its size.

#49 GOLFisNOTaSPORT

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:26 AM

Blackjack is too bulky. Vindicator isn't bulky enough (and looks too soft with all the curves). Nova and Trebuchet are far too tall. And yes, the Centurion is way too wide. It's supposed to be a thin, tall 'Mech. It's missing a lot of its character.

#50 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:28 AM

View PostGarou Wolfs Haven, on 04 July 2015 - 08:09 AM, said:

I vote Trebuchet, I is meant to be a smaller, lighter, and faster response to the Archer (am I allowed to say Archer here?) and the Catapult. For its overall role there isn't really a problem with it being large for a medium but it really should not be as large as an Atlas.

The Shadowhawk is also way too tall for a medium mech but with its overall acceptance in the game I don't see it as important to fix it as I do the Treb. The same goes for the Nova which seems to be leading the pack in the pole at the moment. For all the complaints, it is still getting a lot of use in the game.

It's much more rare to see a Trebuchet then any other medium mech and that is mainly due to its size.

About the Nova.
I mean, YEAH, it's too big, but you still see them almost every match, unlike Trebuchets. The last time i saw a Trebuchet was like during the Hero event, i saw the Loup De Guerre once and that's bloody it.

They're even rarer than Quickdraws, for fricks sake.

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 04 July 2015 - 08:30 AM.

#51 Gumon Choji

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:54 AM

I am shocked more people do not put the griffin down. This mech is way too tall. Aksi the nova should be bigger to make up for it's huge amount of weapons. I think this is a good balance.

#52 HollowBassman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 172 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:13 AM

I posted the following as a topic in the Feature suggestion sub-forum but it might be better posted here.

Short Version(no pun intended):

Like most, I am very happy to know some of the more oddly sized mechs will get rescaled, but it hit me that if they scale down a couple of the medium mechs to next existing joint height they would then be too short.

I suggest a new joint height for these mediums between their current height and next existing height.

Expanded Version:

It appears that MWO reuses joint height which I assume is for rigging and animating purposes.

There seems to be a large gap between the joint height of the Hunchback(green line mediums), which most consider to be scaled correctly, and that of the Trebuchet/Kintaro(orange line mediums). Rescaling the Trebuchet/Kintaro to the joint height of the Hunchback would make them too small so I suggest adding a new height(yellow line mediums).

Since I'm already on the subject of scale, I included other mechs that, in my opinion, could be rescaled to existing joint heights. I did not include the Awesome nor the Centurion in the pic as they are wide but otherwise a good size and their joint height would not change. Hunchback and Zeus are included only as reference.

The Shadowhawk/Griffin(red line mediums) could drop to the current Trebuchet/Kintaro joint height(orange line mediums).

The Grasshopper(red line heavy/assault) could drop to the current Quickdraw/Victor joint height(orange line heavy/assault).

The Quickdraw/Victor(orange line heavy/assault) could drop to the current Catapult joint height(yellow line heavy/assault).

The Catapult(yellow line heavy/assault) could drop to the Zeus joint height(green line heavy/assault).

Pics courtesy of Ovion
Posted Image

Edited by HollowBassman, 04 July 2015 - 10:14 AM.

#53 Sagedabluemage

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:23 AM

View PostCSJ Ranger, on 04 July 2015 - 03:31 AM, said:

the Lights have the Real BT Size ..all Other Mechs have the Double height ...the Thunderbolt in BT only ~8,5m ,the Shadowhawk ~9,5 m (Abrams M1 Lenght ~9,5m)

Left MWO size, right Real BT size

Posted Image

Posted Image

Problem, by real Size,all mechs have bei same speed make the double Way in time =real Running Animations and all Mechs more difficult Targets

This gets my vote all together but then again they want giant stompy robots not actaul size in anything XD

#54 ColdHeat

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 75 posts
  • LocationCity of Brass

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:42 AM

So what does "re scaling" mean? Scale them in such a way that their ingame scale actually realistically fits to the scale of the cockpit or scale them balancing wise?

#55 Ovion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:02 AM

View PostColdHeat, on 04 July 2015 - 10:42 AM, said:

So what does "re scaling" mean? Scale them in such a way that their ingame scale actually realistically fits to the scale of the cockpit or scale them balancing wise?
One would assume scaling the mech up or down based on its relative size, as some are oversized, others undersized, based on their original lore / design.

#56 Avimimus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:20 AM

I'd just like Nova arm omnipods that very in size depending on the weapons used. IMHO, that is one big arm for a single machine gun!!!

It is also funny to think - a lot of mechs that don't get used because they are too large are getting less votes. IMHO, the Cicada could do with work but few people pilot it and fewer see it on the battlefield so it isn't on most people's radars.

#57 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:40 AM

Sadly, being my favorite class, more medium mechs than any other class are oversized. I really hope the result of these votes isn't just that one of each of the weight class is picked, because there's just so many mediums that need a bit of love.

#58 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:41 PM

no love for the Kintaro ? This thing is flippen huge. I guess no one plays it so it will never get fixed.

#59 MATRAKA14

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 443 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:40 PM

Almost all mediums are too big, have you seen the 55 toners?

#60 Vanguard836

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:56 PM

Would definitely prefer this (no I did not make this, taken from page two of this thread which was taken somewhere else): Posted Image

Edited by Vanguard836, 04 July 2015 - 06:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users