121 replies to this topic

#81 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:28 PM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 05 July 2015 - 02:20 PM, said:

Screw the meta build. If I ever pick one up it's going to become the party Thud. STD315, endo, 20 Dubs, 9 SPLs.

9x IS SPLs = 36 damage @ 110m range. 315 STD Thud goes 86kph.

How about I help you save some money?

Posted Image

Faster speed, longer range, ECM.

It even has a superior name. "PartyBringer"

#82 Saint Scarlett Johan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:33 PM

View PostUltimatum X, on 05 July 2015 - 08:28 PM, said:

9x IS SPLs = 36 damage @ 110m range. 315 STD Thud goes 86kph.

How about I help you save some money?

Posted Image

Faster speed, longer range, ECM.

It even has a superior name. "PartyBringer"

Hey! I have one of those! :D

#83 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:33 PM

View PostZfailboat, on 05 July 2015 - 08:10 PM, said:

Dear Player

due to the fact that we gave clans a Laser vomit Ebon Jag - which was to make up for the slightly nurfed laser vomit Timberwolf - we have decided that we need IS players to be able to purchase a counter - laser vomit Thunderbolt.

Of course its hardpoints are worse - lasers are worse - has no jump jets and more weight restrictions. but don't worry - we wont release this one for c-bills unlike the clan one. that way only a limited number of players will get the worse of the 2 mechs - just to help ensure balance.

Sincerely - PGI No clue.

I've said this somewhere else, but the Thunderbolt 5SS with 10% range module is literally a few meters short of clan range, with no ghost heat, less heat, and faster rate of fire.

The Zeus 9S has an erLL range that outranges all Clan lasers, and it's not the only IS mech to do so.

All of Resistance 2 sans Mauler are straight laser vomit.

You have got to be DELUSIONAL if you think Clans somehow have a monopoly on laser vomit, or that Inner Sphere is somehow hurting in that department.

#84 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:56 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 04 July 2015 - 10:30 AM, said:

Best thing to do now is to just be quiet and nod when people say "But it's a canon mech. It just happens to be tailor-made for the current meta" and "It's not P2W because the Timber Wolf is better anyway."

And keep the popcorn ready for next week.

No, the TBR gets negative quirks and Clan weapons that are hotter than canon BT, the Top Dog will get cooling quirks and positive laser quirks be much higher DPS. TBR can add a few missiles to lower the heat loading, but not as good as boating 8 lasers with cooling quirks. I don't know why everyone panders the TBR to make their OP or not OP points, I defeat Mad Cats right and left even with a cored 45 ton mech (today). I rate the Thunderbolt 5SS and Mad Cat as equal in going against them with the TDR-5SS being more dangerous at less than 300 meters.

I keep thinking about PGI's apocryphal hardpoints for the Pretty Baby and then I look at this meta-pandering Hero mech and I can't help but feeling that PGI owes all the players who bought the Pretty Baby a retro-fit on their completely made-up load-out for the mech, since the load-out of the actual canon Pretty Baby is unknown.

Of course this was before all the nerf-herders had the PPC and LRMs ruined with their incessant whining. Notice the PPC scores a kill in the vid on the Stalker at 40 meters. That was back when PPCs degraded at under 90 meters instead of just do no damage and were 1500 meters per second.

Edited by Lightfoot, 05 July 2015 - 09:03 PM.

#85 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:13 PM

View PostUltimatum X, on 05 July 2015 - 08:23 PM, said:

9x IS MPLs =
18 tons
36 heat to alpha
54 damage
220m (242m w/mod)
0.6 burn

6x C MPLs =
12 tons
36 heat to alpha
48 damage
363m (370m w/mod)
0.85 burn

You don't need 9 CMPLs to get near 50 damage.

Sure, you lose a tiny touch of burn time and heat efficiency - but you also also gain SIX TONS for your build, and +50% more range.

But the Clan mechs don't get cooling Quirks which this mech will. The way DHS 1.4 works is it creates an operational heat cap at around 30-35 heat per 7-10 seconds and adding DHS 1.4 heatsinks won't help to increase DPS because they take the weight of other weapons... unless the mech is Quirked to get around the operational heat-cap which the Top Dog will be. DHS 1.4 is pretty crappy if your mech has to deal with it.

#86 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:15 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 05 July 2015 - 09:13 PM, said:

But the Clan mechs don't get cooling Quirks which this mech will. The way DHS 1.4 works is it creates an operational heat cap at around 30-35 heat per 7-10 seconds and adding DHS 1.4 heatsinks won't help to increase DPS because they take the weight of other weapons... unless the mech is Quirked to get around the operational heat-cap which the Top Dog will be. DHS 1.4 is pretty crappy if your mech has to deal with it.

It has already been stated that this mech will get no heat generation quirks. Likely just 5% range.

#87 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:22 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 05 July 2015 - 09:15 PM, said:

It has already been stated that this mech will get no heat generation quirks. Likely just 5% range.

Oh really? I doubt that will last since the TDR's all sucked before they were quirked. I mean honestly, before the laser-vomit quirks the TDR's were just never seen in MWO. That big fat CT with no punch from quirked lasers was doom to players. I figure 1 or 2 months and blammo medium and Large Laser quirks like all the other TDR's.

#88 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:24 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 05 July 2015 - 09:22 PM, said:

Oh really? I doubt that will last since the TDR's all sucked before they were quirked. I mean honestly, before the laser-vomit quirks the TDR's were just never seen in MWO. That big fat CT with no punch from quirked lasers was doom to players. I figure 1 or 2 months and blammo medium and Large Laser quirks like all the other TDR's.

Maybe. I think it is more likely it will just get good armor/structure/agility quirks, along with 5% energy range like Russ stated, to avoid it being P2W.

#89 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:37 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 05 July 2015 - 09:24 PM, said:

Maybe. I think it is more likely it will just get good armor/structure/agility quirks, along with 5% energy range like Russ stated, to avoid it being P2W.

It won't work then. IMHO of course. I have mastered all the TDR's, nice mechs with quirks, but structure quirks only work for 1v1 duels theoretically and the TDR has a massive CT. DHS 1.4 won't allow the Top Dog to use all those slots without quirks unless it is like 2xLPL's and 5xSmall lasers running hot, which is sure not going to be confused with P2W.

#90 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:44 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 05 July 2015 - 09:37 PM, said:

It won't work then. IMHO of course. I have mastered all the TDR's, nice mechs with quirks, but structure quirks only work for 1v1 duels theoretically and the TDR has a massive CT. DHS 1.4 won't allow the Top Dog to use all those slots without quirks unless it is like 2xLPL's and 5xSmall lasers running hot, which is sure not going to be confused with P2W.

I agree with that for sure.. but there are always those players that are already calling it P2W without quirks.. so... its a tough job, releasing mechs. Between the P2W and DoA threads... i mean its impossible to make everyone happy.

#91 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:50 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 05 July 2015 - 09:24 PM, said:

Huginn wants a word with you.

#92 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:51 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 05 July 2015 - 09:50 PM, said:

Huginn can output some damage, but its short ranged and a little gimmicky. Not really my cup of tea but it works for some people.

#93 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:57 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 05 July 2015 - 09:50 PM, said:

streakcrow loves huggin (:

i agree though, the two best srm lights right now are pay to use - oxide and huggin
we should wait for jenny iic to break it

also the same situation is with shadowkitty, till we have it for c-bills, arrow is the only 'pay to use 6 mgs' medium mech

#94 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:44 AM

Interesting. It seems like bombadil made a mistake by announcing the tallman as top dog (because of the camo on it).

source: Russ twitter.

#95 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:36 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 July 2015 - 10:55 AM, said:

so 6 Mediums with 2 ERLL on top?

That's what I'm thinking.

#96 MechWarrior5152251

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:00 AM

5SS is already hot, an extra laser is not really helpful...

#97 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:19 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 05 July 2015 - 09:22 PM, said:

Oh really? I doubt that will last since the TDR's all sucked before they were quirked.

Yes really.

And yes, exactly.

Yet we have people who don't understand gradeschool math frothing at the mouth over the "no ghost heat" for MPLs so a 65T mech can fight at 220m range with it's extra 2 Energy hardpoints over the 5SS.

View PostMechWarrior5152251, on 06 July 2015 - 04:00 AM, said:

5SS is already hot, an extra laser is not really helpful...

2 extra lasers, with probably no -heat gen quirks and at less range.

It will probably get a bunch of Resistance 1 style structure/armor quirks or similar, so I'm not quite ready to dub it the Failman or the CrapDog just yet.

#98 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:35 AM

Does it offer anything over my Phoenix 5S(P)?

#99 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:46 AM

A pure laser vomit heavy hero? I guess this is another mech I'll have no trouble passing on.

#100 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:49 AM

View PostAppogee, on 06 July 2015 - 05:35 AM, said:

Does it offer anything over my Phoenix 5S(P)?

It has completely different hardpoints than a 5S.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users