103 replies to this topic

#21 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:45 AM

I likey. Can't wait to see the other maps get a once-over.

#22 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:51 AM

Just a small note. I noticed the gas giant does not seem to move in the skyline as the time of day changes. It would add to the realism and immersion if it rose and set just like the Sun does.

#23 Kanajashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 317 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:00 AM

View PostDanielio97, on 06 July 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

This remake is just gorgeous! Statues are back and you can stomp them! A dense city area where every Urbanmech will be happy! Time of day! Getting dropped from Dropships! So many places a battle can occur! I will need a lot of tissues tomorrow :ph34r:, so I can wipe my tears of happiness!

I only hope that this map won't make my GPU commit suicide (playing on an older laptop, on lowest possible settings). I mean, look at how much smoke is there... :o

You shouldn't have to worry too much, the map performs quite well actually. They have it so it wont render anything that is hidden behind buildings or terrain. When I was running around at ground level my FPS shot up compared to flying around.

View PostIqfish, on 06 July 2015 - 10:44 AM, said:

I want special access too D:

What did Kanajashi do? :(

Made a bunch of tutorials and news videos for the game which got noticed by NGNG, and I signed up to do patch overview videos for them. They have a working relationship with PGI who hooked me up with the special test client so I could make my patch videos ahead of time and with the free camera.

#24 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:15 AM

Thanks PGI for the new map and thank you Kanajashi for the fly-over. It feels more appropriately scaled like Alpine or Terra Therma now.

Next step... buildings that you can shoot down or set on fire? Blow out the windows and fire your AC5 at the mech on the other side of the high-rise? Trees that catch on fire and burn?

Knocking over trees is nice, but we're a long way from "physics".

#25 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:22 AM

View PostWVAnonymous, on 06 July 2015 - 11:15 AM, said:

Thanks PGI for the new map and thank you Kanajashi for the fly-over. It feels more appropriately scaled like Alpine or Terra Therma now.

Next step... buildings that you can shoot down or set on fire? Blow out the windows and fire your AC5 at the mech on the other side of the high-rise? Trees that catch on fire and burn?

Knocking over trees is nice, but we're a long way from "physics".

Perhaps as the community's specs improve as a whole, a more in-depth physics engine will be possible. This is, as it stands, a wonderful compromise. The new River City looks absolutely stunning for the for the size of the footprint it will be leaving on our GPUs.

Edited by Jack Shayu Walker, 06 July 2015 - 11:22 AM.

#26 Boldar

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 82 posts
  • LocationGlinde

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:25 AM

Nice Video, nice map.

But it would be nice to have a tactical view of the old map and the new at the same time. Just to point out the differences in size and maybe some sort of highlighting to show where changes were made.

#27 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:35 AM

View PostKanajashi, on 06 July 2015 - 11:00 AM, said:

Made a bunch of tutorials and news videos for the game which got noticed by NGNG, and I signed up to do patch overview videos for them. They have a working relationship with PGI who hooked me up with the special test client so I could make my patch videos ahead of time and with the free camera.

Congratulations on that, the video looked great!

#28 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:36 AM

View PostDanielio97, on 06 July 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

I will need a lot of tissues tomorrow :ph34r:, so I can wipe my tears of happiness!

So that's what the kids are calling that these days.

#29 NeonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSurrey, BC, Canada

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:37 AM

Hmmm....destructible environments, eh?

Does that mean hiding in trees can be temporarily beneficial as the trees will take some of the initial weapon hits instead?

#30 Ghostchips Condensate I and II

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 97 posts
  • LocationSouthern Islands

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:38 AM

So many happy stock urban mechs.

#31 VATER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 156 posts
  • LocationEYE OF TERROR

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:41 AM

View PostNeonKnight, on 06 July 2015 - 11:37 AM, said:

Does that mean hiding in trees can be temporarily beneficial as the trees will take some of the initial weapon hits instead?

That is a negative. As far as I got it from one of the dev-videos the trees will not stop or take damage away at this point of time.

#32 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:51 AM

This map looks so good, it's going to spoil us. I know I cringe every time I drop on Alpine.

View PostNeonKnight, on 06 July 2015 - 11:37 AM, said:

Lasers and hitscan weapons will go right through them, with only SRMs and AC/Gauss felling trees and objects. I believe it was stated that no weapons are actually stopped by the trees and objects. It can only act to obscure vision and allow for some hiding.

Edited by Greenjulius, 06 July 2015 - 11:53 AM.

#33 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:51 AM

Thanks for showing us the video.

#34 Average Pilot

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:54 AM

What I see in the video looks very interesting and quite an improvement, but I will reserve final judgement until I get out onto the battlefield.

One thing that concerns me is the ridgeline that's mentioned where it's out of bounds, and the narrator says it's done specifically to prevent sniping. Why would a map be configured in such a way to specifically handicap a valid battlefield tactic artificially? There were lots of mentions of new buildings existing to create cover from LRM fire, but extra buildings fit in a city environment. Arbitrarily closing off a mountainous area just to curtail sniping seems very wrong. In any urban battlefield scenario, sniping is hazard that must be planned for and dealt with. Why should Battlemech battles be any different?

#35 Kanajashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:59 AM

View PostAverage Pilot, on 06 July 2015 - 11:54 AM, said:

What I see in the video looks very interesting and quite an improvement, but I will reserve final judgement until I get out onto the battlefield.

One thing that concerns me is the ridgeline that's mentioned where it's out of bounds, and the narrator says it's done specifically to prevent sniping. Why would a map be configured in such a way to specifically handicap a valid battlefield tactic artificially? There were lots of mentions of new buildings existing to create cover from LRM fire, but extra buildings fit in a city environment. Arbitrarily closing off a mountainous area just to curtail sniping seems very wrong. In any urban battlefield scenario, sniping is hazard that must be planned for and dealt with. Why should Battlemech battles be any different?

Its not sniping in general, its that ridgeline in particular that would be problematic. Since its on one side of the map one team would easily be able to take the hill while the other team would never have the chance. Also from up top there you have sight lines on the entire map, Making any flaking pointless since you will be spotted. I see it as avoiding a alpine like situation.

#36 Domoneky

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:14 PM

What the hell?!?! Why aren't we all getting upset over something?! This is utter bullcrap. I thought we were all still rioting over 2013! What in the [redacted] do you think you're doing, PGI?! The fan base is supposed to despise you guys and you're giving them stuff to be happy about!! I quit. I totally quit. This is completely ridiculous.

Nice map by the way.

Spoiler

Edited by Domoneky, 06 July 2015 - 12:18 PM.

#37 Dennis de Koning

Art Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 118 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:15 PM

View PostBarHaid, on 06 July 2015 - 10:13 AM, said:

I love daytime/nighttime transition, but..... there is a quibble. That moon isn't moving. Which one of us is tidally locked here? There should be some sort of movement, otherwise it's just a matte painting.

Yes, unfortunately we didn't have the time to address the moon/planet (re)positioning.
Due to technical challenges though, it most likely won't transit but instead appear at different elevations (or not at all) for each time quadrant.
Hopefully we'll have this working for the next patch (or the one after).

#38 oO JimPansen Oo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 189 posts
  • LocationHerzberg / Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:24 PM

Like river city as it just is (ok... its too small) . But THIS could become THE map!

Woot...

#39 GermanPartisan

• PipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:28 PM

I approve.

#40 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:29 PM

Nice video, Kanajashi.

Can't wait to try out this map tomorrow. Hopefully, we get trees we can set on fire and destructible terrain at some point. Looking forward to PGI remaking all the older maps.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users