*sigh* Why, Pgi, Why, Is It So Hard To Listen? (Is It So Wrong To Want Our Guns To Look Cool, Too?)

172 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:13 AM

Yes, dynamic weapons geometry SHOULD be a nice thing. Something that adds immersion and a feeling of ownership to the unique variants you can whip up in the mechlab.

And ye, time and again, PGI gives us Nipple PPCs, Red Ryder BB Gun Autocannons, and little flat Doorbell Lasers. (Missiles..... can't even think of some not so witty thing to label them with atm, sorry).

This is a Giant, Stompy Space Robot Game. Mind you, there is zero logical combat application to said giant stompy robots. We almost certainly all, got into them because they LOOKED FREAKING COOL. Big Robots, BIG GUNS.

Now we aren't having to talk Crazy Gundam Swords and Final Fantasy oversize weapons. But ones that looks proportionate and pleasing, should not be that hard.

These Hardpoints look like an Accountant designed them, not anyone with one ounce of artistic sensibilities.

Example, AWS-8Q as we are getting it:
Posted Image
AWS-8Q that we COULD have gotten
Posted Image

or for comparison sake, how the M1A1 Abrams would look, as designed by PGI
Posted Image

Yes, I know some of the Denizens of Mount TryHard, will dismiss it, as it has no real in game impact on Uberplay. And perhaps that is what this is PGI trying to get the last of us holdouts to cave in and imply embrace Sword and Board Meta LegoMechs. Because only a blind person would drive any of these for their Aesthetics.

It's so dang disappointing to see a patch that is so chock full of apparently great in game fixes and a such, get saddled with such a horrible job of visual customization. Doubly so when it's nothing new, people have been blowing up PGI about this since the VERY FIRST visual customization pass!!!!

Dang it PGI!!!! Hire someone to do some visual QA over this stuff!!! Heck, I'll do it for freaking FREE. But stop shooting yourself in the foot with these ludicrously bad, undersized and generic looking weapon passes. Please? (see, I asked nicely?)

*Edit (just for you Escef)
Posted Image

Happy now?

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 07 July 2015 - 07:59 AM.

#2 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:15 AM

Maybe they want you to buy newer, less aesthetically displeasing mechs?

#3 reign

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 459 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:16 AM

Yup they are a bit undersized. At least you are not asking for them higher on the mech.

Posted Image

Edited by reign, 07 July 2015 - 07:17 AM.

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:18 AM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 07 July 2015 - 07:15 AM, said:

Maybe they want you to buy newer, less aesthetically displeasing mechs?

so that they can find a way to ruin them later, too?

View Postreign, on 07 July 2015 - 07:16 AM, said:

Yup they are a bit undersized. At least you are not asking for them higher on the mech.

Posted Image

Look, the last thing I want to do is push everything into a peektart meta. Some mechs have low hardpoints. Does it make sense? Not really, but then, neither do battlemechs in the first place.

Mecha are awesome because they LOOK awesome, not because they are remotely logical or sensible.

#5 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:22 AM

And apparently I have pissed the boss off on Twitter. Well.... any reaction is a good thing, I hope.

#6 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:23 AM

Bloody hell, Bishop. You have an easier time bending Russ's ear than most, yet you want to whine about them not listening? Holy s***, man, they listen to YOU more than most of us. You're unhappy with these results? Fine, say so. But you of all people have exactly zero business saying they don't listen.

#7 Malcolm Vordermark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:24 AM

I made a choice long ago to not care about the Awesome. It has served me well.

#8 Anarcho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 538 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:27 AM

I like all the new changes. Alex designs tend more to a realistic line, realistic as giant mechs can be, but still... if you guys want big unproportional weapons, any corean mmorpg can fill your void :)

#9 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:28 AM

View PostEscef, on 07 July 2015 - 07:23 AM, said:

Bloody hell, Bishop. You have an easier time bending Russ's ear than most, yet you want to whine about them not listening? Holy s***, man, they listen to YOU more than most of us. You're unhappy with these results? Fine, say so. But you of all people have exactly zero business saying they don't listen.

No, they actually don't listen to me, it's nice you have this Illusion (delusion?) of the sway I hold over PGI, but that's exactly what it is. And it's not like dozens of people have not commented on it, here and on twitter from the very beginning.

I'm sorry if you are OK with all the mechs looking like generic trash, but I'm not. I could have chosen Hawken if I wanted that.

#10 reign

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 459 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:29 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 July 2015 - 07:18 AM, said:

Mecha are awesome because they LOOK awesome, not because they are remotely logical or sensible.

Amen! I have 5 Barghest table top painted in different colors.. why well *sheepish* Voltron Lions :D

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:30 AM

View PostAnarcho, on 07 July 2015 - 07:27 AM, said:

I like all the new changes. Alex designs tend more to a realistic line, realistic as giant mechs can be, but still... if you guys want big unproportional weapons, any corean mmorpg can fill your void :)

Go to the Concept Art page, then come back here and say that with a straight face, lol. And if you do, can I recommend Lasik without giving offense?

#12 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:31 AM

I laughed so hard at your example, Bishop.

Gg, close.

Edited by Sarlic, 07 July 2015 - 07:38 AM.

#13 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:32 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 July 2015 - 07:30 AM, said:

Go to the Concept Art page, then come back here and say that with a straight face, lol. And if you do, can I recommend Lasik without giving offense?

It's much easier if you just stop caring, bro.

#14 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:33 AM

Once again, PGI fails on how to implement chest weapons. Here is how it should be done.

Posted Image

#15 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:34 AM

View PostAnjian, on 07 July 2015 - 07:33 AM, said:

Once again, PGI fails on how to implement chest weapons. Here is how it should be done.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:36 AM

I agree it could be even better, but it's not really bad. Compared to the hackjob that is the Catapult and the power plug arm that was on the Centurion, these new changes are lightyears ahead. I am pretty content with all changes, actually. They aren't perfect, but they are good.

I had nightmares about what they'd to to the Dragon's arm.

#17 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:36 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 July 2015 - 07:22 AM, said:

And apparently I have pissed the boss off on Twitter. Well.... any reaction is a good thing, I hope.

Perhaps if he had a good QA instead of slamming it into the wild then he would have seen less threads about it.

Which comes to the point: Brace yourselves, hotfixes today/tommorrow incoming.

Edited by Sarlic, 07 July 2015 - 07:37 AM.

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:37 AM

Anyhow. I'm an arts guy. I'm disappointed. It is what it is. Maybe it will get re-addressed sometime in the future. Just...rather see it done "right" (my opinion, nothing more) than have to be done twice.

Sorry Russ, if I come across as rude here. But for me, because of my love of Battletech, and admiration for the concept art Alex generates for this game, it's very easy to get....passionate.

View PostRhaythe, on 07 July 2015 - 07:32 AM, said:

It's much easier if you just stop caring, bro.

Working hard to improve my general apathy. American culture, media and politics, especially political correctness, have almost got me there.

#19 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:38 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 July 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

No, they actually don't listen to me,...

Yes, they do.

Them not doing what you told them to do does not mean that they didn't listen.

#20 Water Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:40 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 July 2015 - 07:22 AM, said:

Will it get you in trouble if you link the conversation? I don't use Twitter and I've got that morbid curiosity.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users