310 replies to this topic

#141 CaveMan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

One thing Urbie critics may be overlooking here: Matchmaking is probably going to be balanced in some fashion, either by tonnage, c-bills, or something like BV. The Urbie is extremely cheap in all these regards. A few players in UrbanMechs can enable their team to employ a larger number of heavy and assault 'Mechs for the same drop weight, cost and BV, but the Urbies still have 6 tons of armor apiece (better than an Atlas, ton-for-ton) and a heavy weapon that even 100 ton 'Mechs should respect.

In a map like Frozen City, where cover is plentiful and speed has less value than jump jets, a group of UrbanMechs supporting a heavier force that ties down the center of the battle are a very effective harrassing element.

#142 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

Gents, there might be another VERY compelling reason to add it rather now than later.

Imagine the outcry when people (understandably) expect newer and better Mechs in the future and all of a sudden see the Urbie pop up in the patach notes. Admittedly, being cute or legendary is one thing, but to make this Mech work effectively you really need an idea to begin with. Having said that, you could consider it being hard mode and I agree with it from a newbie perspective. It's difficult because the concept of the Urbie as a whole seems backwards, being a Light Mech with more firepower than its direct competitors but sharing the lumbering gait of the Assault class. And if the looks don't reach the level of what shortpainter already drew in terms of concept art, then there's not much speaking for it either. Kudos to shortpainter for turning an ugly duckling into a swan (the pictures below are quite telling).

It's a challenge for the players, Alex, Paul and friends. Truth be told, I'm not surprised to see some resistance, but if it keeps up, we might never see the Mech for the reasons mentioned above. Therefore I'm supporting an early push for the Mech and hope the parties involved are up for the challenge.

Posted Image

Here's where you can find it -> http://mwomercs.com/...er-fan-concept/

Edited by CCC Dober, 07 July 2012 - 12:31 PM.

#143 Odweaver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

View PostCCC Dober, on 07 July 2012 - 12:26 PM, said:

Gents, there might be another VERY compelling reason to add it rather now than later.

Imagine the outcry when people (understandably) expect newer and better Mechs in the future and all of a sudden see the Urbie pop up in the patach notes. Admittedly, being cute or legendary is one thing, but to make this Mech work effectively you really need an idea to begin with. Having said that, you could consider it being hard mode and I agree with it from a newbie perspective. It's difficult because the concept of the Urbie as a whole seems backwards, being a Light Mech with more firepower than its direct competitors but sharing the lumbering gait of the Assault class. And if the looks don't reach the level of what shortpainter already drew in terms of concept art, then there's not much speaking for it either. Kudos to shortpainter for turning an ugly duckling into a swan (the pictures below are quite telling).

It's a challenge for the players, Alex, Paul and friends. Truth be told, I'm not surprised to see some resistance, but if it keeps up, we might never see the Mech for the reasons mentioned above. Therefore I'm supporting an early push for the Mech and hope the parties involved are up for the challenge.

Here's where you can find it -> http://mwomercs.com/...er-fan-concept/

But they already designed the Urbie torso, you can see it in the Red circle.
The Green circles are where the Urbie clamps into the Jager suit.
Posted Image

#144 Kenneth Meredith

• PipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 34 posts
  • LocationWherever the kills are good, and the pay better.

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

View PostHomadais, on 05 July 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

If you can surive in an urban mech. Then you sir are the most interesting man on earth.

I don't always survive in an Urbanmech, but when I do, I prefer religion.

#145 Odweaver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

View PostMasked Usagi, on 07 July 2012 - 01:22 PM, said:

I don't always survive in an Urbanmech, but when I do, I prefer religion.

Wobbie Urbie?

#146 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

View PostOdweaver, on 07 July 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

But they already designed the Urbie torso, you can see it in the Red circle.
The Green circles are where the Urbie clamps into the Jager suit.
Posted Image

You mean the Urbie could be a damaged Jagermech, half its weapons blown off?
Works for me :)

#147 Odweaver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

View PostCCC Dober, on 07 July 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

You mean the Urbie could be a damaged Jagermech, half its weapons blown off?
Works for me :)

Posted Image
I prefer to think of the jagermech as overalls for the urbie

#148 Kordo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

Give me the right terrain/blood alcohol content, and I'll strip the hide off a Mech 25 tons heavier than my old Urbie. Too drunk/less-than-optimal setting? Yeah, then not so much fun...

#149 Alex Wolfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

View PostHayashi, on 07 July 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

The Hunchback doesn't have Jump Jets, so that's something the Urbie can do that it can't. The Cataphract might be a better comparison here for the purposes of your argument. =P

If cost (C-Bills wise) is not a factor I'd say the Cataphract outclasses the UrbanMech in every possible comparison other than aesthetics, which is debatable, and size of hit area.

A good point. Although I did double-check Sarna before writing the above post and it seems that HBK-5S Hunchback comes with four jump jets and it comes from a 3050 readout (so thinking it may be available in 3049 isn't too far-fetched, I suppose).

The reason I used HB was because it's infamous for the same thing as Urbanmech is supposed to do - you turn a corner and face a cheap, sluggish heavy-hitter staring you down... although that's the main beef I have with UB is that even will all the sacrifice of speed it's still very puny. A HB's A/C20 up close (or even LBX in HBK-5S's case) is a respectable threat regardless of what your ride is... but very few pilots will go "run! run before this A/C10 ENDS you!" (unless you're light, I guess).

Mmmmm Cataphract. Can't wait.

Edited by Alex Wolfe, 07 July 2012 - 01:38 PM.

#150 Valorcalls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

View PostGordielightfoot, on 05 July 2012 - 10:42 AM, said:

and then watch as said spacemarine takes a 100 Tone Dire Wolf foot to the face... bye bye puny marine

Do note, the average space Marine is 8 ft tall. Way to tall to just get stomped, Not to mention all the reinforcements that are genetically enhanced with.

#151 Brunhin Graywind

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

I made this especially for you Urbanmech enthusiasts...

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imagehttp://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3q0ayr/

#152 Buck Rogers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationMica Majority

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

View PostCCC Dober, on 07 July 2012 - 12:26 PM, said:

That brings up another good point for the Urbanmech. It scales very well with the future technology. Ballistic weapons just get better and better, and the Urbanmech can mount all of them.

In 3051 (relatively soon) you can mod an Urbie by using 4.5 tons of armor, Endo Steel, a Gauss Rifle, 2 tons (16 rounds) of ammo, and you still have room for that Small Laser. That, folks, is a proto-Hollander. Depending on what the Mechbay allows, you can also use an XL engine and regular internal structure but you have to drop 1 ton of ammo. Or use both the XL Engine and Endo Steel and swap the Small Laser out for a Medium Laser. And that's with IS tech. If you use Captured Clan Tech, you can have even more fun. (like mounting max armor, an Ultra AC-20, 2 tons of ammo, and 2 Er Medium Laser...)

The possibilities are endless with My Little Urbie, The Customizable Play Set!

#153 Davoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 618 posts
  • LocationFending off an entire RCT of Cappellans with a lance of Atlai

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

View PostGordielightfoot, on 05 July 2012 - 10:42 AM, said:

and then watch as said spacemarine takes a 100 Tone Dire Wolf foot to the face... bye bye puny marine

Actually, an Assault Marine could take that too.
Jetpack on top and punch the cockpit open.

View PostValorcalls, on 07 July 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

Do note, the average space Marine is 8 ft tall. Way to tall to just get stomped, Not to mention all the reinforcements that are genetically enhanced with.

I thought they were 10 feet tall.
Regardless, the Dreadnaughts could wreck almost everything in battle tech

#154 Gelgoog

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

View PostBuck Rogers, on 07 July 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

That brings up another good point for the Urbanmech. It scales very well with the future technology. Ballistic weapons just get better and better, and the Urbanmech can mount all of them.

In 3051 (relatively soon) you can mod an Urbie by using 4.5 tons of armor, Endo Steel, a Gauss Rifle, 2 tons (16 rounds) of ammo, and you still have room for that Small Laser. That, folks, is a proto-Hollander. Depending on what the Mechbay allows, you can also use an XL engine and regular internal structure but you have to drop 1 ton of ammo. Or use both the XL Engine and Endo Steel and swap the Small Laser out for a Medium Laser. And that's with IS tech. If you use Captured Clan Tech, you can have even more fun. (like mounting max armor, an Ultra AC-20, 2 tons of ammo, and 2 Er Medium Laser...)

The possibilities are endless with My Little Urbie, The Customizable Play Set!

Exactly

Posted Image

#155 Kedex

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 21 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

View PostSkadi, on 05 July 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

blasphemy
Posted Image

This made me laugh so hard, it's not even funny. Thank you for that.

#156 Kai Allardo Fenix

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 50 posts
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

Lets be honest. We need the Urbie, caus we are enviroment friendly people, and we want to have a big recycle bin on the battlefield (for the German people: wir brauchen die mülltonne).
You put the dead bodies of enemy mechs in the top in the Urbanmach, and you get Autocanon round out in his arm. Best solution! ;)

#157 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

View PostGelgoog, on 07 July 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

Exactly

Posted Image

This is the result of Urbies being bullied nonstop, they come back in packs.

#158 Sept Wolfke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

View PostSinnerX, on 05 July 2012 - 02:24 AM, said:

Why do people climb Mount Everest? Why do people swim the English Channel? Why do people wrestle bears?

To defy all odds. To prove they are the best. To feel alive! That's what piloting an Urbanmech is all about.

or because they're terminally ill and want a good way to go...

#159 AntharPrime

• 1,144 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

I have my doubts that the next mech will be an Urbie. I believe that someone already mentioned that the mech releases have been:

Assault- 3
Heavy- 4
Medium-4
Light- 3

Now it may very well not be that they will round out the choices by releasing one assault and one light mech but let's just say that they will.

Also take into account how many faction specific mechs that have been released so far:

Capellan Confederation- 2
Lyran Commonwealth- 1
Draconis Combine- 4
Federated Suns- 3
Free Worlds League- 3
Free Rasalhague League-2

So you see the most underrepresented faction is the Lyran Commonwealth followed equally by the Capellan Confederation and the Free Rasalhague League. It would stand to reason that with the next two mech releases that they should concentrate on the Lyran Commonwealth and if possible choose mechs that would fill in the other two factions to make the mech choices equal for all the houses.

So based on this and the current year that the game setting will be I think that they next two mechs will be...

Assault: Emperor, this have plenty of variants for future play and is house specific for both the Lyran Commonwealth and the Capellan Confederation. The following guesses are Xanthos and Striker for the same reasons and the Annihilator just because Wolf's Dragoons used it.

Light: Talon, this only has three variants but it is house specific for both the Lyran Commonwealth and the Free Rasalhague Republic. My backup guess is the Razorback for the same reason though it only has one variant.

Edit: If they do release a heavy or a medium then it could be a Flashman or a Sentinel.

Edited by AntharPrime, 07 July 2012 - 08:14 PM.

#160 Buck Rogers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationMica Majority

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

Posted Image

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users