"stock Matches"

12 replies to this topic

#1 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:02 PM

One thing I've always wanted from this game was a reason to continue to use stock designs. People like to point out that the tabletop game has always had a customization system. This is true, but it's usually set up to be played like a campaign game, and the customization system comes with risks and hazards in that case. Otherwise, it's not really customization, it's just build-your-own. Flipping through most every book in the Battletech setting will show very few mechs that have been "Customized" outside of some risky field refits done out of necessity, and some of the ultra-rich royalty that could afford to have custom designs and clan-mech gifts.

I'd like to see a match mode specifically for stock mechs. None of these mechs could be leveled up, none of these mechs would be from your mech bays (Though playing with the paints would be nice), it would be like using trial mechs all the time, except instead of trial mechs built to compete with min-maxed power-builds, it's just mechs vanilla and off the shelf.

The good thing about this is that a mechanic could be built into the game where, by measuring the frequency of use of a given 'mech, it could raise/lower the requirements to use a given 'mech chassis/variant (Not unlike the Tabletop games' Battle Value system, except updated daily if not hourly). Of course, everyone is going to go straight for the big, scary mechs, but what if big scary mechs with advanced technology offered fewer rewards, or meant that you drop with fewer mechs? What if taking those low-tech locusts and urbanmechs meant that you rake in fat stacks of C-bills, or that you could drop with greater numbers of them? The other great thing about this is that it would reduce all the escalation. All you ever see on the forums are people delving through Sarna.net to look for whatever design comes with fifteen gauss rifles and another dozen ac20s (And ignoring all the lore), because balance is not what they want. I honestly think that when there's a reason to dial things back, when it's hard-wired into the game that there's a benefit to not just taking the munchiest meta build, greater emphasis will be put into teamwork and the game will be more fun to play.

God forbid, at least an Atlas might survive more than 2 seconds out in the open, again.

Edited by ice trey, 10 July 2015 - 04:04 PM.

#2 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:58 PM

You'll just end up with the handful of mechs with a semi decent configuration getting used.

I'd rather see 3025 mode. You can play around all you want, but you have to use SHS and STD engines. Plus no endo, no ferro, no UAC, no pulse lasers, no streaks and no clans.

#3 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:08 AM

I think it could be "historical battle" mode on preconfigured chasises with random piloting.

#4 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:18 PM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 10 July 2015 - 04:58 PM, said:

You'll just end up with the handful of mechs with a semi decent configuration getting used.

We actually know that is not a case with stock games.
In stock 3025 all mechs are decent enough.
We KNOW that stock is offering more mech diversity, better TTK, more tactical, better game play, more "thinking mans shoter", more battletech.

#5 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:47 PM

View PostJaeger Gonzo, on 11 July 2015 - 06:18 PM, said:

We actually know that is not a case with stock games.
In stock 3025 all mechs are decent enough.
We KNOW that stock is offering more mech diversity, better TTK, more tactical, better game play, more "thinking mans shoter", more battletech.

Alright then. Sign me up.

#6 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:48 PM

...but then the "Dynamic battle value" for those mechs would rise, making them less appealing to use, because your mech bay / rewards would be reduced. Simultaneously, the "Dynamic Battle Value" for the less popular designs would go down, making them more appealing to take the risk of fielding them.

#7 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:42 AM

DBV that you call, its really not that needed in stock. And we dont know nothing about it what PGI is inventing this time. It can be just other quirk pass, nottinghamka much of excitement.
In stock really almost all mechs are fine. All mechs have own character and are different to play.
There is like one LOL mech SHD-2D2, but its just same lol as in TT. Some melee mechs could be hurt a bit, since that element of game is totally ignored by MWO. But even then Banshee is ok and have its role, its best pusher, tip of the lance. Implementing Charger that is only melee mech could be problematic, since it have what? Like 6 SL?
Overall 3025 Stock is far more balanced and offer totaly different gameing experience then main MWO.
Offcourse currently quirks screwed totaly balance in stock so we don`t have same quality in privete as we used to.

#8 Kerensky98

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:59 AM

I'd rather see 3025 mode. You can play around all you want, but you have to use SHS and STD engines. Plus no endo, no ferro, no UAC, no pulse lasers, no streaks and no clans.

I'd like to see the two combined for an event. Stock 3025 tournaments. A bunch of trial mechs built exactly like the old 3025 Battletech Technical Readout. No customization possible.

You don't have to own the mech, special rewards for being able to win old school etc.

Since many mechs aren't available in game or are banned due to the Harmony Gold dispute we could substitute what we can using other mechs with loadouts that reflect the old IS mech. Even clan mechs that are outfitted with IS gear (possible backend code work?) can stand in for missing mechs. For example the Loki and Madcat are basically evolved designs of the Warhammer and Marauder. With some mix and matching of the gear maybe we can get the loadout and armor of a lower weight mech to be identical to it's larger 3025 equivalent.

Ideally I'd like to have actual models of all the mechs in the Readout made but that's alot of work for PGI, where fielding Stock 3025 builds of current models can be done today, renamed stand-in builds for non-existing models done tomorrow, and clans as stand-ins running IS gear in possibly a short time depending how the game is programmed.

Edited by Kerensky98, 19 July 2015 - 10:04 AM.

#9 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:58 PM

It's an interesting idea - the game should have a way to just pick stock mechs without having to rebuild them, etc. from what we have. Heck, they could sell a "stock mech template" for MC, and it turns whatever mech it is currently in into the stock variant as long as its in it.

#10 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:16 AM

You make an iteresting point.

Its similar to my "Trail of Trials idea..

I'm not shure we need a deticated game mode, but the game SHOULD reward people who play off-the-shelf stock models, without any modification, skills and modules..

How about a 15% c-bill boost?

#11 That Guy

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:52 PM

there is no point in stock only games until DHS and ES/FF get rebalanced.

but yes, i absolutely agree, stock mech should have a place in the game

Edited by That Guy, 20 July 2015 - 02:54 PM.

#12 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:25 PM

stock mechs are a noble idea, but 75% of the fun of BT/MWO is customizing your mech, plus it excludes a pile of mechs that come with DHS/FF/endo built in. also the amount of ammo in most of these stock mechs is horrible

Narcissistic Martyr has the right idea - 3025 mode so we can customize, but can only mount the limited tech. SHS are horrible so customizing is the only way to have a chance of piloting viable mechs in battle

#13 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 29 July 2016 - 03:47 PM

most other games have "historical" modes and that include facing overpowered enemies that had better tech at the time. When that happens, skills and wit win the day. Yes for stock mode, if this happens I'll come back to MWO for sure.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users