• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:50 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 14 July 2015 - 08:37 PM, said:

aLl tHe CoOl cLaN cAdEts iN sIbKoS wRiTe ThIs WaY

*pets* okay Sibko

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 14 July 2015 - 06:55 PM, said:

Oh, thank you for telling me to just relax. That was relaxing to be told that.
The adder/kit fox were bugs/the animation for the toes were missed. This -is- animated, poorly!, so this is not the same.

How am I still here? I'm here because I appreciate the game as a whole, and I'm ok with overseeing some of the other flaws (but you'll never catch me playing CW.). But that doesn't mean you have to be bent over with your pants down, pressing your buttcheeks against the MWO logo with a piece of duct tape over your mouth to keep you from voicing your disagreements.
People around here keep trying to make it a black/white choice - "You like MWO or you don't! If you don't like everything about the game, you can just leave!" - C'mon. Really? That's not how things work. That's a very narrow minded way to look at a problem.

Shadow Cat was the one mech I've been most passionate about and have held my expectations high. Just because I haven't said anything about the looks of the mech means that I'm fine with that. I've consoled myself and accepted how it looks. However, I've continually been verbal (and optimistic) about PGI taking this opportunity to infuse the Shadow Cat with a deeper sense of a predator through its walking animation, which would add a lot towards the persona/character of the mech. However that opportunity has been completely glazed over, and the quality of the animation is sub-average/average. It's the same tippy-toe hippity hoppity animation that most clan mechs have.

What you're seeing is my colourful passion come out for the mech; a different type of passion than the one I have which blankets the overall franchise. I've very strong opinions about how CW should be, and I think PGI is just wasting their time on it. That doesn't mean everyone has the same opinion, and of my opinions is that CW should have been implemented to phase out solo queue, but it wasn't (not many people are going to agree with that one, but I think it's largely due to not knowing what I have in mind for what CW should be inorder for it to phase out solo queue).
But like I said, I like the other part of the game (not cw), so I play it. I don't like the shadow cat, and even though I bought it. I'm not going to play it.

Not trying to straw man you here, I'm actually curious. Are you saying you refuse to pilot the Shadowcat just because you don't like how it got modeled & animated?

#103 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:43 PM

View Postarmyunit, on 13 July 2015 - 06:01 PM, said:

Hard to say for certain, but it looks like they may have slimmed it down a bit since the last preview! :)

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 13 July 2015 - 06:16 PM, said:

I know right? I'm soooooooo excited about that, I can hardly contain the squees

As suddenly on release its as wide as a Centurion and as fat as a Warhawk.

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 14 July 2015 - 01:17 PM, said:

When people capitalize the first letter of every word like that I can't help but read everything they say in monotone.

When someone capitalizes the first letter in a sentence, I cant help but think that person has worse grammar skills then me and is a complete derp. I then read the sentence and it usually makes about as much sense as the post you quoted.

#104 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:47 PM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 14 July 2015 - 08:50 PM, said:

*pets* okay Sibko

Not trying to straw man you here, I'm actually curious. Are you saying you refuse to pilot the Shadowcat just because you don't like how it got modeled & animated?
It's cool. And yeah, pretty much.

I pilot the Vindicator strictly because I like how it looks, mainly it's legs. I feel like a hi-tech soldier in it, and I got my dual AMS. I feel like a mobile/lightweight protector in it with a bad ass visor cockpit. It's not a great mech, and I force myself to find a build that works for me and I can have fun with. I don't mind because I haven't had a build I couldn't find I didn't like.
When I pilot my Catapult K2, I feel menacing with how it walks and I feel like I have some kind of intimidation factor with it.
I don't pilot many light mechs because of how they run, their legs don't move fast enough or articulate enough which gives them a silly look to them; the Jenner looks like it's prancing, commando looks like it's floating, urbanmech rollerskates around. The Locust is an exception for me, it really pumps those legs and fast.

So yeah. It really does have a huge impact on what I pilot. Even if it's the best hardpoint meta BS, I don't care. I pick a mech that's cool and I find a loadout that I like. Call me shallow, or vain, or w/e, but I think it's a legitimate point that it's not as fun doing the same exact same stuff (shooting mechs) in a mech that you think looks ridiculous or stupid. There's a bunch of other mechs that can do similar things and are implemented (visually) better. I don't judge others though. If they play a Stalker, or Direwolf, or Trebuchet, or Quickdraw, I don't care. I know people have their own tastes. I think they're ugly, but then again I'm the one killing them.
But this is along the same line as to why people complain about low res textures, why people want nice graphics, why there's fashion, and decor, and make up - all that junk. There's nothing wrong with wanting nice stuff. Shadow cat isn't my taste, so I don't pilot it. I'm wildly disappointed about that, but maybe the time will come in another mechwarrior game...

I'm eying the crab. It's is ugly to me, but it's the interesting kind of ugly that I think could look fierce. I hope they just put the double jointed leg to some use in animation, otherwise it's going to be another one of those disappointments and wasted efforts for me.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 14 July 2015 - 09:58 PM.

#105 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:56 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 14 July 2015 - 09:47 PM, said:

It's cool. And yeah, pretty much.

I pilot the Vindicator strictly because I like how it looks, mainly it's legs. I feel like a hi-tech soldier in it, and I got my dual AMS. I feel like a mobile/lightweight protector in it with a bad ass visor cockpit. It's not a great mech, and I force myself to find a build that works for me and I can have fun with. I don't mind because I haven't had a build I couldn't find I didn't like.
When I pilot my Catapult K2, I feel menacing with how it walks and I feel like I have some kind of intimidation factor with it.
I don't pilot many light mechs because of how they run, their legs don't move fast enough or articulate enough which gives them a silly look to them; the Jenner looks like it's prancing, commando looks like it's floating, urbanmech rollerskates around. The Locust is an exception for me, it really pumps those legs and fast.

So yeah. It really does have a huge impact on what I pilot. Even if it's the best hardpoint meta BS, I don't care. I pick a mech that's cool and I find a loadout that I like. Call me shallow, or vain, or w/e, but I think it's a legitimate point that it's not very fun doing the same exact same stuff (shooting mechs) in a mech that looks ridiculous or stupid. There's a bunch of other mechs that can do similar things and are implemented (visually) better. I don't judge others though. If they play a Stalker, or Direwolf, or Trebuchet, or Quickdraw, I don't care. I know people have their own tastes. I think they're ugly, but then again I'm the one killing them.
But this is along the same line as to why people complain about low res textures, why people want nice graphics, why there's fashion, and decor, and make up - all that junk. There's nothing wrong with wanting nice stuff. Shadow cat isn't my taste, so I don't pilot it. I'm wildly disappointed about that, but maybe the time will come in another mechwarrior game...

I'm eying the crab. It's is ugly to me, but it's the interesting kind of ugly that I think could look fierce. I hope they just put the double jointed leg to some use in animation, otherwise it's going to be another one of those disappointments and wasted efforts for me.

what do you think about the crow's prancing? i personally absolutely love it but at first i thought it was ugly till i suddenly began to love it

#106 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:16 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 14 July 2015 - 09:56 PM, said:

what do you think about the crow's prancing? i personally absolutely love it but at first i thought it was ugly till i suddenly began to love it
Don't like it. =/
Looks fine under 30km/h, it walks nice, but anything above that, the pushing leg starts to do a weird stall when lifting the back foot. And then it just gets progressively more bouncy for what ever reason. And the forward leg travel doesn't increase as you move faster, so that just continues to make everything more prancy. I piloted it because I liked the interesting design and I didn't pay too much attention to how it moved before, but it's mastered now and I haven't touched it since.

A lot of mechs need more squat, and lateral weight transfer to the planeted legs. After seeing the Ebon Jag and the difference its squat makes in the locomotion, it's pretty obvious how stiff the rest of the mechs look. Just lowering the mechs give a reason to bend that knee and bring the thigh up, and increase the stride would be nice.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 14 July 2015 - 10:29 PM.

#107 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:45 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 14 July 2015 - 09:47 PM, said:

the Jenner looks like it's prancing, commando looks like it's floating, urbanmech rollerskates around. The Locust is an exception for me, it really pumps those legs and fast.

Hear, hear! I love my Locusts, I think they're one of the best looking mechs in the game and probably the best animated as well. It actually runs like 40,000lbs of machinery on legs, more than can be said for pretty much every other mech in the game.

#108 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:15 PM

it seems you don't like prancing :3

Posted Image

#109 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:20 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 13 July 2015 - 05:03 PM, said:

That scene looks like it is just when it engages those holy-crap-it's-NASA level jump jets (so happy about those),

those Jumpjets are nothing special, my SDR-5V gains height far faster with its 11 JJs,
put 6 Jets on any Mech and it jumps pretty well, it is just that most people want to get high but are not prepared to "waste tonnage" on more than 2 jets, then they complain that JJs are useless because they are not getting high enough.

a lot of people are surprised when I start seriously using the Jumpjets on Spider, Jenner, Firestarter or Griffin because I take enough jets for them to be useful

if you are after using JJs for something other than breaking a fall or hovering a short distance take at least 4, a good thing with most of the jumping Clan Mechs is you cannot chose to take just 1 Jump Jet

#110 Twilight Fenrir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:38 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 15 July 2015 - 05:20 AM, said:

those Jumpjets are nothing special, my SDR-5V gains height far faster with its 11 JJs,
put 6 Jets on any Mech and it jumps pretty well, it is just that most people want to get high but are not prepared to "waste tonnage" on more than 2 jets, then they complain that JJs are useless because they are not getting high enough.

a lot of people are surprised when I start seriously using the Jumpjets on Spider, Jenner, Firestarter or Griffin because I take enough jets for them to be useful

if you are after using JJs for something other than breaking a fall or hovering a short distance take at least 4, a good thing with most of the jumping Clan Mechs is you cannot chose to take just 1 Jump Jet

To be fair... Some jumpjets are more broken than others... I haven't used it since the last patch, so maybe it's better, but my 5 JJ Heavy Metal couldn't even jump high enough to DFA, which is what the mech is famous for :P It would get JUUUUST high enough that a dire wolf could walk under it, and that's it.

#111 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:49 AM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 14 July 2015 - 11:15 PM, said:

it seems you don't like prancing :3

Posted Image

Lol, it's great for a horse that's being judged in a contest... Weapon platforms - why?
But yes, you're right, I don't. Most mechs animation are fine for walking, but for running speeds you just kinda go... why?

WHY?!?!?!

#112 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:52 AM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 15 July 2015 - 06:49 AM, said:

Lol, it's great for a horse that's being judged in a contest... Weapon platforms - why?
But yes, you're right, I don't. Most mechs animation are fine for walking, but for running speeds you just kinda go... why?

WHY?!?!?!

My Greyhound prances around my yard every now and then, it is adorable as hell, especually when she has a toy in her mouth. Like she is so proud of herself for slaying the mighty squeaker :P

#113 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:54 AM

View PostThe Boneshaman, on 13 July 2015 - 04:46 PM, said:

they should have had a countdown for the countdowns countdowns countdowns.

You make my head spin, sober...

Like the shadow cat. Might buy even if Im mostly an IS pilot :P

#114 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:19 AM

So, is anyone else as interested as I am in seeing how well the SCat should jump?

With 6xJJ, a 45 tonner should have a 70 meter jump height. The Arctic Cheetah will only comparatively be able to jump 52 meters with 6xJJ. Even the Mist Lynx can only do 62 meters.

The only mech in the medium class that can match the SCat for sheer jumpiness is the Vindicator 1AA, which I've never ran. The closest other than that is a Griffin with 7xJJ, and that only does 67 meters. I own a few of them and find the jumping with 7xJJ to be amazing.

The only mech that beats the 70 meter mark is the Spider 5V when it's equipped with at least 9xJJ.

So, are you guys ready for Jumpageddon?

#115 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:22 AM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 14 July 2015 - 07:34 PM, said:

For those saying the Scat is too wide, look at the first Instagram teaser where you get to see it running from the front, it's not as wide as it looks from the front page.

View PostGreenjulius, on 15 July 2015 - 07:19 AM, said:

So, is anyone else as interested as I am in seeing how well the SCat should jump?

Could we please not call it that?ShCat, Shadow, ShowCat. Shingleshimmyshanga. Literally anything else is better than that.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 15 July 2015 - 07:25 AM.

#116 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:32 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 15 July 2015 - 07:22 AM, said:

Could we please not call it that?ShCat, Shadow, ShowCat. Shingleshimmyshanga. Literally anything else is better than that.

Oh, you'll learn to love SCat. Some might call us SCataphiles.

;)

On a similar subject, I'm starting to get excited about an ECM, 3xERML, 1xUAC10+2.5 tons build. Now that UAC10 ammo is more ammo efficient, we can get 450 damage from those 2.5 tons of ammo, making it a solid choice as the heat neutral weapon for a balanced loadout.

It's like my baby Kitfox grew up and can equip the big boy weapons!

Some may say, "The Adder can do that too," but the Adder can't do Magic Jesus Box, 6xJJ, (huge jump baby!) MASC, and 64 more points of armor, all in the same build. I'm really not sure what that Adder is going to be good for after the Cat is out.

View PostRogue Jedi, on 15 July 2015 - 05:20 AM, said:

The SCat will almost jump better than any mech in the game at 70.31 meters, matched only by the Vindicator 1AA with 6xJJ and only beaten by the Spider 5V with a minimum of 9xJJ. That doesn't sound bad to me...

Edited by Greenjulius, 15 July 2015 - 07:48 AM.

#117 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:18 AM

View PostGreenjulius, on 15 July 2015 - 07:32 AM, said:

Oh, you'll learn to love SCat. Some might call us SCataphiles.

;)

On a similar subject, I'm starting to get excited about an ECM, 3xERML, 1xUAC10+2.5 tons build. Now that UAC10 ammo is more ammo efficient, we can get 450 damage from those 2.5 tons of ammo, making it a solid choice as the heat neutral weapon for a balanced loadout.

It's like my baby Kitfox grew up and can equip the big boy weapons!

Some may say, "The Adder can do that too," but the Adder can't do Magic Jesus Box, 6xJJ, (huge jump baby!) MASC, and 64 more points of armor, all in the same build. I'm really not sure what that Adder is going to be good for after the Cat is out.

The SCat will almost jump better than any mech in the game at 70.31 meters, matched only by the Vindicator 1AA with 6xJJ and only beaten by the Spider 5V with a minimum of 9xJJ. That doesn't sound bad to me...

That DOES sound like a mean build! I'm really looking forward to an almost stock Prime, as well as a 7MG+ERPPC/SRM6...

Where do you guys keep getting thse jump figures? Plus, the SCat can jump a longer distance with a MASC boost :3 The SCat might just give my Cauldron Born a run for it's money as my favorite mech in the game...

Also... The Jenner IIC is going to have a variant with up to 10 JJs :D

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 15 July 2015 - 08:19 AM.

#118 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:19 AM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 15 July 2015 - 08:18 AM, said:

That DOES sound like a mean build!

Where do you guys keep getting thse jump figures? Plus, the SCat can jump a longer distance with a MASC boost :3 The SCat might just give my Cauldron Born a run for it's money as my favorite mech in the game...

Also... The Jenner IIC is going to have a variant with up to 10 JJs :D

Get a mech of the same tonnage in smurfy, that has JJs, and slap the JJs on, to see the numbers. At least that's how I do it.

#119 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:23 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 15 July 2015 - 08:19 AM, said:

Get a mech of the same tonnage in smurfy, that has JJs, and slap the JJs on, to see the numbers. At least that's how I do it.

That's distance though, not height, isn't it? I don't generally care how FAR I can jump, I wanna know how high! I usually use my JJs to either scurry over a wall to run away like a girl, or jump over a wall to ambush.

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 15 July 2015 - 08:34 AM.

#120 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:28 AM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 15 July 2015 - 08:23 AM, said:

That's distance though, not height, isn't it? I don't generally care how FAR I can jump, I wanna know how high! I usually use my JJs to either scurry over a wall to run away like a girl, or jump over a wall to ambush.

There are JJ height numbers. I don't remember where you can get them.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users