#21 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:53 AM

View PostWildstreak, on 24 July 2015 - 06:21 PM, said:

There is a bonus AP gives for LRMs.

Literally outside of countering ECM it has 3 functions: 25% increase to sensor range, 25% target info gathering (TIG) speed, and ability to detect powered down mechs within 120m (150m for clan version). That's it. You don't need increased TIG to fire LRMs.

If you refuse to believe me you can look it up on Smurfy.

#22 Alaric Hasek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 01:05 PM

You just can't play a 45-ton 'mech like a 55-ton 'mech. The Shadow Cat's strength are maneuverability (MASC and its jump jets) and its ECM. Sure, it doesn't have many laser hard points but it's more than possible to run three ERLLs (one high in a torso, even). That's more than enough to be a sniper if you want - jump on top of high buildings if you like or poptart. That's enough to kill 'mechs with at short range too. You're just a 45-ton 'mech, though - don't brawl. Play a Shadowcat like it was a slow Jenner - run, move, jump, strafe. You'll get kills and lots of assists. Better, you'll show people that Clan Nova Cat knows how to make 'mechs.

View PostJimmy DiGriz, on 24 July 2015 - 04:37 AM, said:

I don't think there is a problem with the Shadowcat, I believe the problem is with the Stormcrow. In the current game meta - damage trumps everything - there is, quite simply, no reason to take any Clan medium OTHER than the Stormcrow. The only differentiator is ECM, but the Clan have so many options available that the SHC doesn't fit comfortably anywhere.

My feeling is that the SHC has been designed with the new "re-balancing" exercise and ECM changes in mind and it won't reveal its true potential until these changes have been made.

#23 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 25 July 2015 - 01:19 PM

I wasn't saying play the Shadowcat like a Stormcrow, I realise they are totally different mechs. The point I was trying to get across was that, currently, the Stormcrow is simply better as a medium mech. If you want a fast, ECM capable, Clan chassis then the Arctic Cheetah is maybe a better choice.

Still, as I say, it's just my opinion

#24 Kaldrenborn

• PipPipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 01:31 PM

Y'all have been super helpful. I've changed the way I play that mech - I almost never stop moving. I pop tart a lot, I've gotten to where I am barely in the air for more than I need to. I take my shot, and I hide. I try to keep everyone at range.
I've had the most luck using an asymmetric build with two large pulse lasers. I might try the 3 er large build. I dunno about long burn time though with trying to peek and run... We'll see. I absolutely love this mech. It's a ton of fun and I don't even have it elited yet.

#25 Voq

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 249 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:19 AM

View PostJimmy DiGriz, on 25 July 2015 - 01:19 PM, said:

I wasn't saying play the Shadowcat like a Stormcrow, I realise they are totally different mechs. The point I was trying to get across was that, currently, the Stormcrow is simply better as a medium mech. If you want a fast, ECM capable, Clan chassis then the Arctic Cheetah is maybe a better choice.

Still, as I say, it's just my opinion

I understand where you're coming from, and really, no one would entirely disagree, but it's a matter of playstyle and strategy.
For me, my sCat makes a better SRM striker than my Crow because of the ECM and MASC. I can get in, deliver some punches, and then get out a lot more easily. The sCat ends up being like my Griffins, nimble, agile, and quick.

Now, lots of people don't use the Crow for SRM striking, so, there's that. But, like I said, it's a matter of playstyle.

#26 Top Leliel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:44 PM

For anyone who's trying Gauss with the Shadow Cat, it's definitely hard to do because you have to cut stuff to make room for ammo. This is what I've tried out earlier today, and it seems to be doing well so far(though I'm unaware of how it might perform at higher ELO matches).

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2bf0106975f7891

Swap out Medium Lasers for small lasers, pick up ECM. Cut armor from head and small laser arm(if you lose it you won't lose much firepower), move armor from back to front as normal, use the sturdiest legs(variant A) so you can afford to cut leg armor. Now you have enough to add two more tons of Gauss ammo, giving you enough ammo to actually kill stuff, and the ability to still back it up with lasers out to 400 m! Max armor on the railgun arm, of course.

What you get is an extremely mobile skirmisher/assassin, without heat issues, that can continually hit and run to blast guns off enemy mechs/core them from behind, while being able to boost away and hide if pursued. Compared to the stock version it is slightly more fragile, half range on lasers, but the actual main gun won't run out of ammo right away and the ECM will do its broken overpowered ECM stuff.

Edited by Top Leliel, 27 July 2015 - 01:46 PM.

#27 Rogen

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:34 AM

This mech is epitome of maneuverability, it have good speed, Jump Jets, and MASC.
You can stay at range with the mech, but to me it is usually waste of potential, and quite boring too.

This mech thrives as flanker, move with the heavy mechs, and support them, and you'll shine.

And it is even possible to do a working weird builds, like one of mine with UAC20 and 2x ERML (No ECM).

But there is really lot of other possibilities, based on play style,

#28 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:32 AM

Rogen, my statistics tend to agree with you. My MPL+SRM SHC-B and my LPL+ERML SHC-A both outperform my Gauss mounted SHC-Prime. This is in W:L, K:D, Average Damage per Match, XP per match, and even my 'game impact' stat I created from weighing the others to get an idea of the impact I made on average in each match. All of which suggest that fast strike and fade tactics, harassment, flanking, and aggressive support are it's best roles.

#29 Top Leliel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:48 AM

View PostShadey99, on 28 July 2015 - 09:32 AM, said:

Rogen, my statistics tend to agree with you. My MPL+SRM SHC-B and my LPL+ERML SHC-A both outperform my Gauss mounted SHC-Prime. This is in W:L, K:D, Average Damage per Match, XP per match, and even my 'game impact' stat I created from weighing the others to get an idea of the impact I made on average in each match. All of which suggest that fast strike and fade tactics, harassment, flanking, and aggressive support are it's best roles.

It is an amazing mech at skirmishing, for sure. I think I've had the best results with 3x SSRM6 + 2 ERML.

It's a workable platform for Gauss in that it has enough spare tons to afford being able to carry a Gauss, 4 tons of ammo, ECM and backup lasers, while also being small and agile enough to sneak around and flank to stay at a range and get good shots in. But I concede that any build involving LPLs or SSRMs is extremely powerful on this mech, and will likely yield more kills than plinking away at heavies with a Gauss Rifle from 800m away. Perhaps a lot of this has to do with the fact that Gauss is somewhat gimped in general in this game.

Edited by Top Leliel, 28 July 2015 - 09:49 AM.

#30 Kaio Pryde

• PipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:01 AM

I think the best build is stock prime drop the beagle add .5 tons of gauss build up some more armor all around or go with a 1 ton ammo increase.. With half ton ammo I average about 600dmg with this scat per match.. Normally 2-3 kills too granted you are proficient at shooting gauss while moving at top speed on the ground or up in the air :) but all it takes is patience practice and lots of both ha-ha.
Or you can do the ac10 2/3 x erml and just go nuts with it medium range brawl isn't bad for a scat.. Just don't do short range srms are nice until you turn a corner against dual ac20 or dual gauss.. So yeah

Edited by Kaio Pryde, 28 July 2015 - 11:06 AM.

#31 Rogen

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:05 AM

View PostKaio Pryde, on 28 July 2015 - 11:01 AM, said:

Or you can do the ac10 2/3 x erml and just go nuts with it medium range brawl isn't bad for a scat.. Just don't do short range srms are nice until you turn a corner against dual ac20 or dual gauss.. So yeah

Well that is why we have MASC, Hit MASC and Reverse, and you are out of trouble before they even notice.
No other mech can switch from full speed forward to full reverse in such quick time,

And doing such will usually screw opponent aim on you quite a lot.

#32 Jason Red Death

• PipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:19 AM

I use my Shadow Cat B with 3x SRM6 Artemis 2x ERM and ECM (Alpha is 50!). if you have a seismic sensor on board, this mech is a killer. Especially in Viridian Bog it is just amazing. Jump-capability and agility are key to success... . This mech is a shadow-killer. You could call it a Ninja-Mech

My prime features 3 ERL and ECM. If you fire 2+1, heat is acceptable and it does quite well on range attacks.

Edited by Jason Red Death, 29 July 2015 - 10:25 AM.

#33 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:12 PM

View PostRogen, on 29 July 2015 - 01:05 AM, said:

Well that is why we have MASC, Hit MASC and Reverse, and you are out of trouble before they even notice.
No other mech can switch from full speed forward to full reverse in such quick time,

I think this shows the scat can be versatile, it just require good piloting skills.

#34 JonahGrimm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:08 PM

The original (TT) SHC was built around the idea of biggest gun on maneuverable mech- the current in-game builds support that theory. You can't boat anything; think of big guns in limited hardpoints.

My best right now is the SHC-B with a single ERPPC and a pair of SSRM6 launchers with two tons of ammo and ECM. This thing is an absolute monster, able to engage at all ranges with significant damage potential over the course of a match. It can't brawl, but it does destroy lights with ease, and is especially good at punching above its weight class, using terrain and it's incredible maneuverability to butcher heavier mechs that just can't retaliate.

I can't find anything comparable on the IS side - and don't want to leave the cockpit of this thing. :)

#35 Moldur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:14 PM

I put the 2 LPLs on the right side so that I can shield with my left.

#36 OblivionSK

• Pip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 19 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIn Davion space, looking for bushwackers.

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:25 PM

hey dusty, your on the right track. I have a few tweaks for you though to up the dps!

Prime: meds instead of pulses w/ two more heatsinks, ppcs run hot

A: solid build, might want small pulses though. less heat for good pinpoint damage, you want to be able to alpha then twist away ASAP to avoid taking fire to your CT.

B: put the LA LPL in the RT, this way you can shave armor and add another heatsink. This also makes you able to poke from cover quicker and with a smaller profile. the masc helps with poking too!

and remember, while the quirks are small, they are there. makes sure to equip the right omnipods for the quirks you want!

#37 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:27 PM

View PostRogen, on 29 July 2015 - 01:05 AM, said:

Executioner.

#38 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:03 PM

Been wondering about SHC builds myself. Got a trio of 'em and no idea what to do with the doggone things. Good info so far!

#39 Naoru

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:19 AM

Just did a bunch of drops with the 3 ASRM 6 + 2 med laser scat....it actually performs really well. Managed to solo a gauss DW last game lol.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3e1d0933ec951df

(Armor distribution on mine is different)

Edited by Naoru, 06 August 2015 - 12:19 AM.

#40 Autologus

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:29 AM

This is the build I like to run, it is strictly a skirmisher since it's maximum range is 400m but it can flat put out the damage. My favorite target is light mechs, multiple ECM can be a problem sometimes but I try to stay at the maximum end of the range for the streaks that way I am out of their ECM range.

SHC-B

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users