What Destroyed This Game

78 replies to this topic

#41 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:01 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 26 July 2015 - 11:19 AM, said:

Clans destroyed the game.
Damn clans. THEY RUIN EVERYTHING

*Wanders away while convulsing in pure anger*

Yeah the arrival of the Clans pretty much threw the balance to the winds, and PGI is still trying to piece together a balance framework even after almost a year. I still wish the game had started in 3027 tech...

Edited by El Bandito, 26 July 2015 - 06:02 PM.

#42 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:02 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 26 July 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

This game was destroyed? When did this happen?

It happened with the Clan invasion, try to follow!

Edited by DAYLEET, 26 July 2015 - 06:03 PM.

#43 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:16 PM

View PostDAYLEET, on 26 July 2015 - 06:02 PM, said:

It happened with the Clan invasion, try to follow!

Nah, 3PV destroyed this game.

Definitely.

#44 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:19 PM

Alright. I'll agree that they should make an effort to bring the lore to the game. But I don't agree that they should cast aside their current efforts for the sake of a campaign.

Like where is the lore we were promised for the worlds in CW? Why don't we have a info tab on the lore of each mech? Even picking your faction. It's just the bare minimum.

They don't have to add pve. But they should add the lore into the game in fun ways.

#45 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:36 PM

View PostKalderyn, on 26 July 2015 - 10:21 AM, said:

It's not single player.

You don't have your own epic adventure of choosing or founding a corporation, having a non-linear global map like in Dark Crusade with quests and subquests and branching story and characters.

You don't have progression and personality of any kind.

Instead, you have sterile, contextless, storyless matches where it is completely irrelevant if you "die".

Multiplayer - the bane of the gaming industry.

Also, this game uses Cryengine 3 but for some bizarre reason it has Playstation 3 graphics.

k

#46 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:10 PM

Multiplayer is the bane of the gaming industry?

Guess that's why WoW and Eve are doing so terrible, isn't it?

#47 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:09 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 26 July 2015 - 11:07 AM, said:

Moving to General Discussion.

Shoulda gone to K-Town..... :ph34r:

#48 Radbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:02 PM

Screw single player campaign. A dynamic Co-op Campaign similar to the one found in Jane's Apache Longbow 2 from the late 90's on the other hand. That would be something.

#49 Raggedyman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:04 PM

Cheaper reusable content with more per player time and a shorter development cycle, with no need to higher half (or less) writers or voice talent.
yeah, truly the bane of the industry.
Hopefully this daily money baths will give them some recompense for their wors

#50 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:49 AM

playstation 3 graphics ?

Posted Image

#51 The Mech behind you

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationGermany, Northern Baden-Württemberg

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:12 AM

This game is dead? Man, I keep playing this all the time because no one told me :(

2 'game is dead' threads on a single day? The game must be really on a good way after the improvments of the last months. I have barely seen any 'game's dead' threads when the game really was f'ed up. The last time I saw so many 'game's dead' threads was at the beginning of OB when there was even more fun in this game without funky and complicated mechanics and restrictions.

#52 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:20 AM

View PostVompoVompatti, on 26 July 2015 - 10:38 AM, said:

Only if you do not have a personality of your own and you do not improve as a pilot with experience (real experience not just some numbers in game).

Mechwarrior: Online so the multiplayer shouldn't really surprise you and if you feel like it ruins the game then clearly you were never meant to play this anyway.

edit. It would be cool to have single player too but the game is clearly meant to be a multiplayer game so it should come first.

Neverwinter ONLINE has a story and is Multiplayer.
Star Wars The Old Republic is Online and Multiplayer.

Yes both can be played Solo but the game is geared to be played as a group. Now both of my examples are PvE. But TT has always been a PvP type game. In that you have to have at least 2 players to really enjoy it.

This game needs more than just Me v You and the prize is a case of beer. I was bored with that style of CBT in the early 90s.

#53 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:29 AM

Most of the people here keep forgetting that, even though this game has been playable for 3 years... ITS STILL BETA!

So yeah, you can't expect to have all the stuff that a completed games have. This game still needs a ton of work, and many a year will go by before it's truly completed and worthy of beeing called "done".

Yes, the game needs PVE, immersion, storyline, game modes, maps, and many more, and YES, we all hope that we will eventually get it.

But hey, that's what you get when a big project like this is in the hands of a really small, underfunded gaming company like PGI.

Every player here has but three choices:

1) Keep playing and keep buying all the new real cash-only stuff to finance further development and support the developers.
2) Keep playing and support the developers by helping to maintain an active battleground, supporting feedback and constructive criticism
3) Ragequit and whine how the game sucks, makes no sence, lacks basic stuff like game modes, maps, immersion and PVE, and decrease the player base, making it even harder for PGI to finance the development and have a descent enough player base to test new things with, therefore scrapping the project, shutting down the servers and going to the private sector to grow crops.

So its up to all of us..

What will YOU choose?

Edited by Vellron2005, 27 July 2015 - 02:30 AM.

#54 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:39 AM

It's not single player.

You don't have your own epic adventure of choosing or founding a corporation, having a non-linear global map like in Dark Crusade with quests and subquests and branching story and characters.

Instead, you have sterile, contextless, storyless matches where it is completely irrelevant if you "die".

Also, this game uses Cryengine 3 but for some bizarre reason it has Playstation 3 graphics.

Pretty much this, except I'm not too concerned about graphics so long as the controls are comfortable.

As a fan of the setting since I was in the third grade, I've since tried just about everything and anything Battletech related - location and year permitting. For me, what I wanted a new Mechwarrior game for - at the time this was announced, for nearly a decade - was to be able to experience the Battletech Universe from a first person perspective. A setting with so much depth and detail, stories ranging from the heroic actions of individuals and armies, to horrors of war, to hilarious antics of small merc units and backwater worlds... there was nothing I wanted more than to be able to have a great Mechwarrior title.

...and in all honesty, if we took the current mechanics of MWO, ported it to a semi-decent single player campaign, brought back all the repairs and included some risk mechanics, as well (The difference between fixing a PPC or having to replace it), I wouldn't even be looking for very good AI at all. Even Mechwarrior 4 AI wouldn't bother me, so long as the missions were creative and the setting compelling.

Hell, I'd be happy with a new expansion pack to Mechwarrior 2.

...but the minute that the final block in that mosaic showed that last little bit of the title, the word "Online"... that's like handing a kid an ice-cream cone, and then immediately smacking it to the ground before they get the first lick. I knew the game was destined to become ruined... A vast and creative IP to be explored and experienced would now become just another run-of-the-mill E-sport. Tiers would be argued. Lore would be ignored wholesale. The whole thing would become an e-Weiner competition.

MWO started out strong in spite of that... Mechs felt beefy in closed beta. Recon was a useful thing... Assault mechs were durable... The customization system made it possible to teach people how to play Battletech again, and there was an overall sense of optimism, but it quickly went downhill. CW was two years late, Fans of CoD, rather than simulator fans, were made to be the target market... and by this point, god forbid you ever consider fielding something in a CW match that isn't perfectly optimized - or participate when you're not a member of a unit. Never mind if you join up on teamspeak to make a group with other players... apparently the units are vocally opposing having players not a part of one of those "Units" being allowed access to CW at all, and CW is the closest thing I have, and likely ever will get, to a Battletech single player game ever again.

Given the opportunity, I'd pay easily a two hundred.... Five hundred... Maybe a thousand dollars for a single player Mechwarrior PC game that is more or less on-par with PC games today, granted that it at least as or more true to the Battletech mechanics and lore than MWO. I'd drop MWO in a heartbeat, and never look back.

Edited by ice trey, 27 July 2015 - 02:42 AM.

#55 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:10 AM

It's not single player.

Keep in mind that the game we have now was not the first choice. Far from it. The first choice was full-fledged game called Mechwarrior 5, but PGI couldn't find funding for it so they had to choose between abandoning the project entirely or settling for a pale shadow of their original vision.

#56 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:39 AM

It's not single player.

weird and strange way to see it:

It's not single player.

Yes some quests or daily tasks are missing, but MWO is more "my own epic" story than the other games, because in the other games it was "someone else's" epic story.

And honestly, if I play those titles today, they are far from "epic" as a 14yo child it felt epic because graphics were new and such. But nowdays, the AI is so stupid, the entire game is a cakewalk beyond imagination. It feels hardly epic anymore.

I die and restart a new match in MWO.

I die and reload a savegame/retry a mission in older MWO games. That does actually not differ.

check your graphics mate?

Whta really killed mechwarrior was a missing part 5 that kept the game alive in around 2006/7 especially after MW4 which had some of the most ugly mechs, they all were kinda redesigned to look way more blocky and ugly. That 'killed' mechwarrior in general a lot more.

Further, gaming customers have changed, the BT universe is too complex to be mainstream.

It's not single player.

Yeah poor Blizzard, can hardly keep themselves alive.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 27 July 2015 - 02:20 AM, said:

Neverwinter ONLINE has a story and is Multiplayer.
Star Wars The Old Republic is Online and Multiplayer.

well, for such a giant IP, SWTOR is rather dead.
And neverwinter does not even reach MWO playercount, MWO would beat Neverwinter on steam.

Edited by Lily from animove, 27 July 2015 - 03:44 AM.

#57 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:46 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 26 July 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

This game was destroyed? When did this happen? Man, that's disappointing. I was having so much fun.

Well, the game was destroyed, dead, killed, DOA, have a failed launch, and everything else when the whole game was in Beta.

We are playing MWO in the Matrix! Here, in the Matrix, the game is doing OK and still improving - albeit slowly. Back in the real world MWO was destroyed before it even launched.

To hell with red and blue pills, going to take them both and see what happens...

#58 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:49 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 27 July 2015 - 03:39 AM, said:

well, for such a giant IP, SWTOR is rather dead.
And neverwinter does not even reach MWO playercount, MWO would beat Neverwinter on steam.
Numbers are down from the height of the game, but I can drop on some planets and see upwards of 150+ players, others around 40.

Never winter still runs with supposedly less Player count than us, so I think PGI is doesn't have a destroyed game yet.

Dude! NEVER take BOTH Pills!
Posted Image

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 27 July 2015 - 03:51 AM.

#59 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:51 AM

A single player game I would have played 20-30hours max and then I would have moved forward. I play this game for 3+ years now and still have fun and spent much more, than I would have ever done on one single player game. Its pretty much the only game I play, because no matter what else I start to play, I still let it go and play MWO.

What were you saying agian?...

Edited by TexAce, 27 July 2015 - 03:51 AM.

#60 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:55 AM

Posted Image

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 27 July 2015 - 04:16 AM.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users