315 replies to this topic

#301 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,826 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:54 AM

View PostTriordinant, on 05 August 2015 - 06:15 PM, said:

Clan tech ****** up the TT game for me and everyone I knew who played it. We NEVER used Clan tech in our TT games.

It's your right to play in era you wish. Actually, FanPro and CGL have produced many products that cater to players such as you.

For example:

TROs: Technical Readout: 3039

Sourcebooks: Brush Wars; War of 3039

Turning Points: Galtor, Mallory's World, Death to Mercenaries!, Misery

XTROs: Experimental Technical Readout: Succession Wars 1

... and other products, of course.

But BattleTech as whole has moved forward. The Clans have been a part of the BattleTech universe since 1990 - a quarter of century ...

#302 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:15 AM

Is anyone here gone at GenCon? any news from there?

#303 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:39 AM

MauttyKoray, on 03 August 2015 - 10:06 PM, said:

Indeed. Everyone bitched about MWO not being Loretech Online, yet MW2 is a massive fan favorite... Everyone remember how lore UNFRIENDLY it was? Slow ass balls of PPC lightning anyone? Sure it still had a lot of lore friendly stuff in it (JJ height for one) but it wasn't perfect or a direct translation of BT. MW3 and 4 weren't either, but somehow they're still better than MWO?

The notion of MWO not being "LoreTech" is pretty far down on the totem pole as to why people dislike the game. Those previous games in the series were premium games, not f2p's - big difference. They were complete products for 60 bucks with some expansions played for years (mw4 alone over a decade); Basically they are play whatever 'Mech you want, do whatever you want (SP or hop in MP, with tons of server options), immersive sim mechanics, no grinding. Its literally that simple.

To me, past MW games not being super-lore accurate was hardly a worry for me. You got your money's worth and then some for the game on disc. Another example of a game that had lore issues: Back when I was playing 90s Sims I literally did not care that an A-Wing appeared in the game X-Wing even though in the "lore" the Rebellion had no production A-Wings available before the BoY.

Edited by General Taskeen, 06 August 2015 - 05:40 AM.

#304 Percy Veer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:17 AM

If only they would make Succession wars for the PC. I had that board-game, but,erm, no-one wanted to play it...

#305 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:11 PM

View PostAzmaril, on 06 August 2015 - 07:17 AM, said:

If only they would make Succession wars for the PC. I had that board-game, but,erm, no-one wanted to play it...

Isn't that new battletech in the making a late Succession state wars (3025) setting?
I'd also like some of the earlier wars to be covered more in depth as the novels don't go that far back.

Edited by Nik Reaper, 06 August 2015 - 01:14 PM.

#306 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:43 PM

View PostNik Reaper, on 06 August 2015 - 01:11 PM, said:

Isn't that new battletech in the making a late Succession state wars (3025) setting?
I'd also like some of the earlier wars to be covered more in depth as the novels don't go that far back.

No, no, no. You misunderstood what Azmaril was talking about. Back in the 80's FASA made a lot of different games for their various properties, and for Battletech one of them was a strategic level game covering the entire Inner Sphere where you and your friends took on the roles of the lords of the Great Houses and waged interstellar war. This game was called "The Succession Wars". Instead of moving individual mechs on a battlefield you moved regiments and battallions on the Inner Sphere map. It was closer in style to classic historical strategy boardgames like "Battle of the Bulge" and the like with tons of tiny cardboard counters representing your regiments, companies, battallions and so on with scenarios for the first through (I think) third Succession Wars (I believe it was published before the Fourth Succession War was officially kicked off. It was a really cool game, but took quite a while to play and to set up, really.

Here's an image of the box art. One of my favourite early FASA box covers, really, with the five lords of 3025 (from top left Hanse Davion - First Prince of the Federated Suns, Takashi Kurita - Coordinator of the Draconis Combine, Janos Marik - Captain-General of the Free Worlds League, Katrina Steiner - Archon of the Lyran Commonwealth and finally Maximilian Liao - Chancellor of the Capellan Confederation). Also pictured a Battlemaster battlemech, several infantry troopers (not sure which unit or state), some unidentified tanks and several Corsair aerospace fighters.
Posted Image

And here's an image of the contents.
Posted Image

Edited by Steinar Bergstol, 06 August 2015 - 02:53 PM.

#307 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:50 PM

View PostBigMooingCow, on 06 August 2015 - 04:15 AM, said:

Clan tech is best suited to asymmetric RPG-style campaigns. Straight-up me vs you brawls... yeah, that blows when one side is IS and the other is clan. You need bidding and honor rules and mixed units and differing objectives so the tech balance is an interesting feature, not the primary focus of the fight.

Or we can just have asymmetric drop decks.

#308 keith

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:50 PM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 06 August 2015 - 02:43 PM, said:

No, no, no- You misunderstood what Azmaril was talking about. Back in the 80's FASA made a lot of different games for their various properties, and for Battletech one of them was a strategic level game covering the entire Inner Sphere where you and your friends took on the roles of the lords of the Great Houses and waged interstellar war. Instead of moving individual mechs on a battlefield you moved regiments and battallions on the Inner Sphere map. It was closer in style to classic historical strategy boardgames like "Battle of the Bulge" and the like with tons of tiny cardboard counters representing your regiments, companies, battallions and so on with scenarios for the first through (I think) third Succession Wars (I believe it was published before the Fourth Succession War was officially kicked off. It was a really cool game, but took quite a while to play and to set up, really.

sounds kinda like axis and allies but for battle tech but with a twist

#309 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:55 PM

Fear the Inner Sphere.

#310 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:59 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 06 August 2015 - 05:15 AM, said:

Is anyone here gone at GenCon? any news from there?

They announced Vampire: the Masquerade 4th Edition. :P

#311 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:05 PM

View PostAzmaril, on 06 August 2015 - 07:17 AM, said:

I got to play it a few times in the 90s. Takes at least an hour to set up.

#312 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:11 PM

V:tM 4th huh?

They really need to get that license out to devs who can do something with it. Pen & Paper is fine but like Battletech we need those video games.

#313 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:17 PM

View PostAccused, on 06 August 2015 - 04:11 PM, said:

V:tM 4th huh?

They really need to get that license out to devs who can do something with it. Pen & Paper is fine but like Battletech we need those video games.

They tried 15 years ago. You can still get it DRM-free at GOG.

Edited by Triordinant, 06 August 2015 - 04:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users