#41 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:35 AM

View PostElizander, on 31 July 2015 - 01:54 AM, said:

I'm fine with that! I was just afraid of some half-baked 3D head wiggling around in a small box with bad voice acting ruining it. Better go clean minimalist than tryhard that ruins the experience. I guess I'll keep an eye out if voice acting will be part of the stretch goals. Gotta admit that VA has been part of almost every MW game so you tend to kinda expect it. :)

Even if the Shadowrun games are good I'm just not a fan of that IP but I'll see what they come out for this one. :D

I would rather have a good story in an RPG than fancy graphics and professional voiceovers.

#42 Hans Von Lohman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:38 AM

My curiosity is high in this game.

I believe it will be entirely set in the 3025 era of the 3rd Succession War. There won't be any advanced tech like XL engines or ER-lasers. It will just be mechs, 3 types of lasers, the PPC, 4 types of autocannons, SRM and LRM missiles, and normal heat sinks.

That also means no Clans, probably because that can be clearly saved for a future expansion pack/stand alone game. In fact I would be down with a completely Clan vs Clan game set totally inside Clans space before they make the decision to invade the Inner Sphere.

Still, the biggest questions I want answered now are quite simple.

What will the combat system be? I know it will be turn based, but how much different will it be from BattleTech the board game? For some reason certain games just don't have an official electronic version, probably because they think it will hurt the sales of the board game itself.

I want a game with the classic battletech rules with ZERO changes. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Give me a hex map, movement points, heat points, and physical attacks played out in a turn sequence of Initiative phase, movement, ranged attacks, melee attacks, end phase.

The other thing is whether or not there will be multiplayer? It does not need a story, so just give two players some mechs and a battlefield.

Two lesser features I want are a mech-lab so we can make our own mechs, and if we can easily mod the game to add our own 3D models (so I can make my own Marauder and ignore Harmony Gold being a jerk about the Unseen).

#43 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:35 AM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 31 July 2015 - 10:38 AM, said:

I believe it will be entirely set in the 3025 era of the 3rd Succession War. There won't be any advanced tech like XL engines or ER-lasers. It will just be mechs, 3 types of lasers, the PPC, 4 types of autocannons, SRM and LRM missiles, and normal heat sinks.

That also means no Clans, probably because that can be clearly saved for a future expansion pack/stand alone game. In fact I would be down with a completely Clan vs Clan game set totally inside Clans space before they make the decision to invade the Inner Sphere.

All stock tech, pre Helm memory core so anything that isn't basic is out. Stock 'mech designs become important over "what can I boat today?" This is especially true if they have mixed combat including vehicles/aerospace and infantry thrown onto the field. Makes things pretty outright balanced at least in the beginning. No Clans for a long time makes this 'mech jock happy as the game will have the time to mature and develop so that when something major like that (or the war of 39', etc,) happens as probably expansions, things will be up to speed and fun.

The other thing is whether or not there will be multiplayer? It does not need a story, so just give two players some mechs and a battlefield.

Two lesser features I want are a mech-lab so we can make our own mechs, and if we can easily mod the game to add our own 3D models (so I can make my own Marauder and ignore Harmony Gold being a jerk about the Unseen).

Multiplayer is one of the biggest things for me, HOWEVER, a great story is always amazing and welcomed. My favorite memories from Mechwarrior 4: Mercs was the pretty awesome fiction and storyline that worked well with the books (who doesn't love some Duncan Fisher in Solaris?) I hope the game has multiplayer, but I'll take a strong single player game first.

I don't want the 'mech lab being able to make ridiculous 'mech designs. Small changes, maybe, but IS 'mechs weren't designed to be altered on the level that MW:O offers. If any changes take place, it should come with a hefty monetary and time penalty. Changing out that weapon? Sorry, takes 3 days so you can't use the 'mech for one or two missions/etc.

#44 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:23 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 31 July 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

I don't want the 'mech lab being able to make ridiculous 'mech designs. Small changes, maybe, but IS 'mechs weren't designed to be altered on the level that MW:O offers. If any changes take place, it should come with a hefty monetary and time penalty. Changing out that weapon? Sorry, takes 3 days so you can't use the 'mech for one or two missions/etc.

I didn't get into specifics like that because the details are so sparse that we really can't complain about it until we actually know what details we don't like.

However, if it were up to me, this is the list of features I want, and I will address some of your concerns in it.

1. Story driven single player campaign, set in the 3025 era Inner Sphere (which seems to be true).
2. Stock mechs and their variants only. No customizing. If you salvage an Jagermech JM6-S, you get it with the paper thin armor and limited ammo (and probably a cost to repair it to that state in the first place).
3. Turn based gameplay that is literally the Introductory Rule Book rules, 100% faithfully recreated. Megamek in effect, with a 3D game board using the PGI mech models.
4. Multiplayer skirmish mode, complete with a mech lab. Design your own mech if you want, but have the option to only play stock mechs as well. This is what I meant by not having a story. Just play each other for fun, with no "campaign" to worry about.
5. Easy to mod so we can add our own 3D models into the game, or even just replace the existing ones with our own creations if you don't like the art style.

Edited by Hans Von Lohman, 31 July 2015 - 01:25 PM.

#45 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:34 PM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 31 July 2015 - 01:23 PM, said:

I didn't get into specifics like that because the details are so sparse that we really can't complain about it until we actually know what details we don't like.

Just spitballing cause I'm excited :P

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 31 July 2015 - 01:23 PM, said:

1. Story driven single player campaign, set in the 3025 era Inner Sphere (which seems to be true).
2. Stock mechs and their variants only. No customizing. If you salvage an Jagermech JM6-S, you get it with the paper thin armor and limited ammo (and probably a cost to repair it to that state in the first place).
3. Turn based gameplay that is literally the Introductory Rule Book rules, 100% faithfully recreated. Megamek in effect, with a 3D game board using the PGI mech models.
4. Multiplayer skirmish mode, complete with a mech lab. Design your own mech if you want, but have the option to only play stock mechs as well. This is what I meant by not having a story. Just play each other for fun, with no "campaign" to worry about.
5. Easy to mod so we can add our own 3D models into the game, or even just replace the existing ones with our own creations if you don't like the art style.

2. Works best, but a little amount of leeway shouldn't be too bad...just not major changes/etc and still with cost/time penalty.

3. Most likely won't be 100% reproduced but we'll see. Overall it'd work fine but as MW:T showcased...it's easy to screw it up by having a crappy and unintuitive interface coupled with horrible art. Speaking of, they probably won't be using the 3D models directly from PGI as I'm pretty sure they won't try to make an tactical RPG with the cryengine, they'll either use a highly modified version of the Shadowrun one they have now or make a new one so they can have control over it. They're just going to use the art direction and concepts and go from there which is great cause Alex Iglesias's 'mechs (and the overall art department,) are the best (and only) thing MW:O had going for it. Also hoping he'll get to eventually use the unseens are CGL is remaking those and it looks like Shimmering Sword is helping, at least from how that Warhammer looks.

4. Hopefully more than just a skirmish mode (or at least full mod/community support for maps/etc,) but at start that'd be fine as long as people can enjoy it and use it effectively.

5. Don't know about actually replacing 'mechs or 3D models (but that'd probably happen down the line,) but being able to make maps and share community made campaigns/missions would be great.

#46 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:54 PM

I want a game with the classic battletech rules with ZERO changes. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Give me a hex map, movement points, heat points, and physical attacks played out in a turn sequence of Initiative phase, movement, ranged attacks, melee attacks, end phase.
You may be expecting too much here. In Shadowrun at least they've focused on converting the spirit of the game, rather than miniscule details in the rules. I doubt it will replace Megamek as a faithful digital adaption of the tabletop, but instead will simply deliver an entertaining trip into the setting a la MechCommander.

I'm willing to let myself get surprised, though. That being said, a 100% representation of the tabletop is something I'd only want if the game actually has multiplayer to enjoy it with other BT fans.

I also don't think there can be a Battletech/Mechwarrior game that does not have a Mechlab for some customisation, though I too would like for "realistic" limitations to be in place. And I like the idea of refits locking the 'Mech into the garage for some time, so that you won't do it too often but only if you salvage something really nice.

As for modding and maps and stuff, I'm convinced that the game will offer a good platform for player-created content. The developers seem to be quite aware of how useful such tools are to extend the lifespan of a game, and for their Shadowrun games have consistently added to their capabilities:

"Powerful Game Editor: Create Your Own Stories! With the Shadowrun Editor, everyone is empowered to create and share their own stories and campaigns. No advanced coding or art skills are required to create content using the SRR Editor. Our new Hong Kong setting will add tons of new weapons, spells, characters along with oodles of new tiles to the long list of editor assets from Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut!"
-- from the SR Hong Kong kickstarter

^ and whilst that editor may not sound like much, people were able to create a whole lot of cool things with it, up to and including randomised missions, something that was absent from the main game. If you want to take a look at SR's still vivid modding community, here you go: http://steamcommunit...00550/workshop/
... could be a good example of what the Battletech game will have in store. :)

Also, whilst the editor did not directly support importing customised assets (like the aforementioned new 3D mech models), the modders have nonetheless managed to make the game accept them, as you can see from various asset packs that contain stuff like new furniture for environments, etc.

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 31 July 2015 - 04:59 PM.

#47 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:14 PM

The editor, how it sounds, would be exactly what I'd hope. Especially considering that the in game stuff might be a static image (which people could create,) you could pretty much make entire story arcs and campaigns.

I think I'd sacrifice a bit of the TT rules for mixed combat between vehicles, aerospace, infantry, and 'mechs. Especially if we get to do anything on foot as part of the RPG element for missions to be done before we strap in or after.

#48 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:47 PM

By the way, may I just say that I'm really ******* glad that they're bringing consistent art style to HBS-BattleTech.

MWT's art style is goddamn stupid.

#49 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:02 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 01 August 2015 - 06:47 PM, said:

By the way, may I just say that I'm really ******* glad that they're bringing consistent art style to HBS-BattleTech.

MWT's art style is goddamn stupid.

MWT is dead btw, but yeah most of the mechs looked really bad, only the Orion and Atlas looked decent and you could only get the Atlas by purchasing the highest level founder's pack and the Orion never made it past the concept art stage. I have no doubt that a company started by one of the founders of Battletech will do the game justice.

#50 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:13 AM

New interview with Jordan Weisman: http://www.mmorpg.co...2&game=0&ismb=1

Nothing really new, except the parts about the art asset issues (unseen mechs) and the mention that Battletech will need a new engine which will require a larger kickstarter campaign than the Shadow Run games, or Golemn Arcana.

Also, the way Jordan describes the Battletech universe (circa 3025) really makes me feel that the fact that mechs in MWO (and previous Mechwarrior games) are so easy to acquire and to modify, really deminishes the vale and power of these war machines.

Edited by Ed Steele, 02 August 2015 - 12:39 AM.

#51 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:11 AM

I am saddened that it may be set entirely in 3025. I do like many of the aspects of the "classic" Battletech era, but i also want to do Trials of Possessions and play with my own Star of 'Mechs .. I would definitely buy an expansion.

#52 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:58 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 02 August 2015 - 04:11 AM, said:

I am saddened that it may be set entirely in 3025. I do like many of the aspects of the "classic" Battletech era, but i also want to do Trials of Possessions and play with my own Star of 'Mechs .. I would definitely buy an expansion.

Probably will be an expansion, but it should be noted that back when MW:O was going to be Mechwarrior 5 that it also was set pre-Clans. There hasn't been a game that didn't take place during or post Clan Invasion in a loooong time and for me it's refreshing not to have to deal with their power creep....but then again I personally prefer the pre-Clan eras so I can 100% understand how this is disappointing news to you about the time period. Hopefully it is a wildly successful game and that an expansion will come with Clans coming to the story and adding tons of great fun for all of us while providing a great campaign for those that had to wait!

View PostEd Steele, on 02 August 2015 - 12:13 AM, said:

New interview with Jordan Weisman: http://www.mmorpg.co...2&game=0&ismb=1

Nothing really new, except the parts about the art asset issues (unseen mechs) and the mention that Battletech will need a new engine which will require a larger kickstarter campaign than the Shadow Run games, or Golemn Arcana.

Also, the way Jordan describes the Battletech universe (circa 3025) really makes me feel that the fact that mechs in MWO (and previous Mechwarrior games) are so easy to acquire and to modify, really deminishes the vale and power of these war machines.

The art asset part...until I see Catalyst put out more images and they get away scott free without HG trying to medle, I'll believe it. I really want it to be true though, cause that new Warhammer is beautiful and everything a 'mech jockey could ask for.

MW:O is an arena shooter with no real consequences, it's like being on a hamster wheel for credits to apply to 'mechs that have a too open 'mech lab. I miss older Battletech where you had to actually manage stuff in cockpit and out.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 02 August 2015 - 05:01 AM.

#53 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:14 AM

Given how they talk about the setting of the BT universe, i can almost feel their passion, and i am feeling quite optimist. It may or may not be exactly the game i would have liked to get, but i am sure it will be a BT game worth of its name.

And i would not be surprised if there were expansions like Clan invasion and Civil War ;)

I actually wished it was like MegaMek, a BT tabletop simulator, so you could customize your matches, create your campaigns and choose the tech as you wished :)

Edited by CyclonerM, 02 August 2015 - 05:14 AM.

#54 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:46 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 02 August 2015 - 04:11 AM, said:

Get out of here Clanner! :-). Seriously, though most Battletech games in the 90s were clan-centered. You can do trials in MW2 and Ghost Bear's Legacy.

#55 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:05 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 02 August 2015 - 09:46 AM, said:

Get out of here Clanner! :-). Seriously, though most Battletech games in the 90s were clan-centered. You can do trials in MW2 and Ghost Bear's Legacy.

I was thinking about it earlier and it's really true, haven't had a 'mech game sans Clans in forever or at the very least pre 3050 and it'll be a nice change of pace to go back to technically simpler times where all the core stories built up the lore. Maybe I'm biased because my favorite time period is around 3025 (and it's my most worn Tech Manual.)

Really can't wait for the kickstarter announcement to get some more concrete info about the game!

#56 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:32 PM

Ok, I may have a change of heart here.

I went and downloaded the latest version of MegaMek, and ran a 4v4 game. Even with the computer handling the all of the math and stats, I still found the game played slow and it took a while to finish the game. A lot has to do with the the clunky interface, but it still took a while. In my opinion, maybe too long.

From the little we know the description of the game that HBS is going to make claims it will be a "modern" turn based combat game. To me that implies that the game they will make is going to be a simpler, faster playing set of rules.

Perhaps all they need to do is use a different, but still official set of rules called BattleForce. Those are from the Strategic Operations rule book. If you don't know what that is, the mechs are simplified down to not have any hit locations, only 2-10 armor points, and 1-4 internal structure points, and the heat scale is 0-4. Weapons are all averaged together and listed as a single damage number for the fixed sets of ranges used in the game (0-1 = short, 2-4 = medium, and 5-8 hexes = long range).

That is about it, other than some mechs have quirks like "Energy" mechs that have only energy weapons, and are immune to ammo explosions if the internals are hit and a dice roll says they get the ammo explosion result.

I think the system that HBS is going to use will probably be more complicated than that, but my guess is that it won't be full blown BattleTech rules. Perhaps they'll get rid of some hit locations and just have a single front and single rear torsos, two arms still, but only one legs hit location?

Edited by Hans Von Lohman, 02 August 2015 - 07:40 PM.

#57 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:13 PM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 02 August 2015 - 05:32 PM, said:

Ok, I may have a change of heart here.

I went and downloaded the latest version of MegaMek, and ran a 4v4 game. Even with the computer handling the all of the math and stats, I still found the game played slow and it took a while to finish the game. A lot has to do with the the clunky interface, but it still took a while. In my opinion, maybe too long.

From the little we know the description of the game that HBS is going to make claims it will be a "modern" turn based combat game. To me that implies that the game they will make is going to be a simpler, faster playing set of rules.

Perhaps all they need to do is use a different, but still official set of rules called BattleForce. Those are from the Strategic Operations rule book. If you don't know what that is, the mechs are simplified down to not have any hit locations, only 2-10 armor points, and 1-4 internal structure points, and the heat scale is 0-5. Weapons are all averaged together and listed as a single damage number for the fixed sets of ranges used in the game (0-1 = short, 2-4 = medium, and 5-8 hexes = long range).

That is about it, other than some mechs have quirks like "Energy" mechs that have only energy weapons, and are immune to ammo explosions if the internals are hit and a dice roll says they get the ammo explosion result.

I think the system that HBS is going to use will probably be more complicated than that, but my guess is that it won't be full blown BattleTech rules. Perhaps they'll get rid of some hit locations and just have a single front and single rear torsos, two arms still, but only one legs hit location?

I really hope that they don't cater to the low attention span ADD crowd and dumb things down.

#58 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:59 PM

Getting rid of the hit locations seems to be a strange request. It's pretty core to the Battletech experience in a turn based scenario and removing the locations or dumbing them down seems to be....silly to me? It wouldn't really speed up combat that much and you'd lose that tense feeling when you start losing armor on a specific area and are trying to decide if you're going to remain engaged or stick it out.

#59 Cool will never die but you will

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 54 posts
  • LocationIn a Cockpit

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:08 PM

Mechwarrior tactics 2.0?

#60 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:26 PM

View Postangryjohnny, on 02 August 2015 - 07:08 PM, said:

Mechwarrior tactics 2.0?

What would make you think that? It's not even by the same developer/publisher and HBS has a better and proven track record so far!

:)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users