#21 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:06 AM

View PostNayonac, on 31 July 2015 - 04:17 AM, said:

But once you understand how to play, you will own a Mech that really can do wonders...
So i stand by my comment to get a Stormcrow.

Stay with the pack, use your team mates and don't brawl unless you have to, use your speed to keep out of the line of fire.

the Stormcrow is a great Mech, but the biggest problem with it is that it will take you longer to learn, things like spreading damage will take a lot longer to learn on the Crow because it has such great hitboxes, and is rather fast so positioning is less critical, with most of the IS Mediums you will quickly learn to shield your weapons because if you don't you will frequently find yourself getting stripped, and you will learn the best places to fire from because it is harder to relocate if you find yourself in a bad position.

that is why I would recommend a Stormcrow as a second or third medium chassis, but not first, when you have already learned basic piloting, positioning and spreading damage you will get a lot more out of it.

#22 John Stryker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 158 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:26 AM

My advise to a new player is to buy 3 hunchbacks, a 4J, 4G, and either a P or an SP (probably the P). They're relatively cheap to buy, pack a punch, and can keep up with a moving battlefield. Also, they're not always the primary target if you stick with a group.

#23 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:41 PM

View PostLogan Frost, on 30 July 2015 - 05:41 PM, said:

Bloody hell, this game reaaaaally needs some balance help. This ELO BS Im hearing of certainly isnt stopping me, a brand new player from getting face melted my experienced players in pinpoint alpha builds.

I slogged my way through a few trial mechs, enough to get my first mech, an Jenner JRK. Yay for me!

Nope, first game, five King Crabs on the enemy team. Oh joy, and its a small map to boot. Two giant crab claw shots and no more arm, side or CT. Yay.

Fine, whatever, have some cash, gimme some MC. Purchase an ON-1 PRotector because my all time favorite TT mech is the Orion. First match, keep getting tagged my LRMS from behind cover, anytime I try and shoot back I get one or more of any three Poptarting meds set up along the ridges. It wasnt as if I just such, my entire team went down in about five minutes spare myself and a few others.

Ok, maybe CW has some more honest players in it. Join in with Clan Wolf, go out to do a assault run. Oh, stock trial mechs? Eh, well thats alright. Destroy some turrets and a generator, wait for the signal and flood through. Immediately get domed by some Battlemaster laservomit.

I.
Just.
Want.
Fun.

This aint it. This isnt Mechwarrior.

What exactly makes it not Mechwarrior? You not having fun is you. Read up on skills and how to master etc. Check our Smurfys etc.

#24 Logan Frost

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:46 PM

Nope, nope noppe nope. Twitch shooting BS is not mechwarrior. Getting cored by metabuilds time after time while struggling just for enough credits for a new engine is not fun.

Ive tried, Im done. Enjoy my money Devs, its all you'll be getting.

Try not to destroy one of my favorite IP's entirely.

Edited by Logan Frost, 31 July 2015 - 05:49 PM.

#25 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:52 PM

this game is way too slow paced to call it 'twitch shooting'

if you die fast almost always it means you went to a wrong place and was focused down by multiple mechs

you seem simply never played actively in pvp games before

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 31 July 2015 - 05:54 PM.

#26 Logan Frost

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:00 PM

Ive played PVP games for over ten years now and currently enjoy other freetoplay games such as War Thunder and WoT.

Whats the difference? A decently level playing field defined by tiers and battle ratings. This game has nothing of the sort and Im not entirely convinced this ELO thing isnt complete vaporware.

I LOVE Mechwarrior. I have since I was a small child, but a learning curve this steep makes it feel impossible to do anything in and the earnings are so meager it'll take at least another thirty or forty times getting CT'd before I can afford a mech with the goodies I want.

Edited by Logan Frost, 31 July 2015 - 06:05 PM.

#27 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:14 PM

Well, I know it can be rough with the Protector, since the Heavy queue hardly falls below ~55% most of the time, and you have many other Heavy mechs that have better attributes than Orions.

I have a Protector and I've tried different builds, currently I have recently tried lowering the engine to fit more weaponry into it, and run it as a pocket Atlas. In my case I have over ~350 matches in Atlas' mechs alone with MWO, so it's been okay and not really ideal, but I've been really wanting to make the Protector work for me and figured I'd share the idea as another alternative to try.

I've settled on running a 240 engine since I had one lying around in my mech lab that I didn't sell and I stuck in 3 LPLS and 2 AC/5s with four tons of ammo.

Since you first got a Jenner, and if you kept that 245 you can try to build this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1dfee6b62be4e31

The idea is that you are running a Pocket Atlas, so a support Brawler and side Sniper since everything is basically being fired at hip level on this mech, and your Lasers can deal full out to ~400 M, and should be able to land good consistent hits with the two AC/5s. With such a build run tandem with the Assaults and focus fire with them.

#28 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:40 PM

View PostLogan Frost, on 30 July 2015 - 05:41 PM, said:

I.
Just.
Want.
Fun.

This aint it. This isnt Mechwarrior.

You're right. That all went out the window when they announced this title as "Online". However, barring the upcoming "Battletech" turn based game being done by the team who did the recent and enjoyable Shadowrun RPG on Kickstarter, there is no modern alternative. Everyone's going multiplayer and micro-transactions, because "Making AI is hard". I don't know about you but so long as my team-mates aren't getting stuck in some buildings, I am not terribly bothered by the quality of the AI - just throw more at me.

People min max unless given adequate handicap from the game itself. The only thing the game can do is reduce the gap between a min-max'd option and a bad option. It's for that reason that I was really hoping that the devs would throw customization out the window, or make things really difficult if you start customizing your 'mechs... but that was not an idea that they used.

...so now, you get Ravens going off on their own to pew with ERLLs, Jagermechs not only being good, but the best meta, and you're ridiculed or derided for using anything less than the copy-pasted powerbuilds.

I don't like it. I want my immersion in the Battletech setting. This isn't immersion in anything but a terrible community of munchkins, and never will be anything more, because no player is going to ever be an actor and help to draw you into the lore, and the only reason people fight here is for an extra mech bay and waving their e-weiners around.

Edited by ice trey, 31 July 2015 - 06:41 PM.

#29 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:13 PM

View PostLogan Frost, on 31 July 2015 - 06:00 PM, said:

Ive played PVP games for over ten years now and currently enjoy other freetoplay games such as War Thunder and WoT.

i personally couldn't stand those
in mwo you don't buy golden ammo and can drop any mech in any other mech, which is not the case for those games

#30 Logan Frost

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:42 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 31 July 2015 - 07:13 PM, said:

i personally couldn't stand those
in mwo you don't buy golden ammo and can drop any mech in any other mech, which is not the case for those games

While that is true, most folks at the low tiers do not load gold ammo. The low tiers are largely populated by new players and the occasional relaxing experienced player. One way or the other, one cannon vs one cannon means that for the most part things run pretty evenly. The abilities and skill levels are mostly either A. At the same level and growing or B. mostly negated by a relatively well balanced field of vehicles across both teams.

#31 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:47 PM

View PostLogan Frost, on 31 July 2015 - 05:46 PM, said:

Nope, nope noppe nope. Twitch shooting BS is not mechwarrior. Getting cored by metabuilds time after time while struggling just for enough credits for a new engine is not fun.

Ive tried, Im done. Enjoy my money Devs, its all you'll be getting.

Try not to destroy one of my favorite IP's entirely.

It's not BATTLETECH. I agree with you there. But it is a FPS style game. It also has a massive learning curve. Takes time to find your place.

I gave up on light mechs in the beginning, now they are my best class.

#32 Logan Frost

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:54 PM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 31 July 2015 - 07:47 PM, said:

It's not BATTLETECH. I agree with you there. But it is a FPS style game. It also has a massive learning curve. Takes time to find your place.

I gave up on light mechs in the beginning, now they are my best class.

Massive Learning Curve, absolutely no section for new players past being the fodder for the laser vomit and slow grinding makes for new players like me feeling useless and hopeless. It doesnt make me want to play again. At this point I feel like me not hitting that launch button means someone useful might be put on my team. That is NOT how a game should make a new player feel.

MWO lacks even the most basic idea of a balanced matchmaking. This ELO thing, being as we cannot see the ratings, could very well be totally nonexistent and it certainly feels that way. Would it honestly be so difficult to simply do a weaponry point system? Give each weapon an individual value and balance these along with tonnage to make two teams of relatively similar platforms and weapon specs? This way the pinpointing poptarts could play hopscotch with their own and let other players do their thing without worry of reenacting the opening of the Ark scene.

Edited by Logan Frost, 31 July 2015 - 07:56 PM.

#33 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:57 PM

View Postice trey, on 31 July 2015 - 06:40 PM, said:

I don't like it. I want my immersion in the Battletech setting. This isn't immersion in anything but a terrible community of munchkins, and never will be anything more, because no player is going to ever be an actor and help to draw you into the lore, and the only reason people fight here is for an extra mech bay and waving their e-weiners around.

So be that player. Start a unit based on lore. Ignore the people who don't play the way you do.

First step? Stop insulting everyone who plays the game.

#34 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:37 AM

The player population isn't big enough for match maker to work properly

#35 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:21 AM

Hey there, sorry you're having a rough go of it.

You kinda made a couple of bad choices with your starter mechs there. Orions are just... well... the model is asymmetrical which makes it fairly easy to pick which torso section you want to shoot. Upside is that uh... you'll end up being a really good pilot.

Also, you may wish to consider altering your build to something like this.

Now, for the Jenner. Welcome to hard mode. Lights are... fragile. You mess up once and you die. You will get 1 shot if you ever pop out in the wrong part of town. If you run in a straight line, you will die. If you do not alter your speed while getting shot at, you will die. If you stand still, you will die. On top of which the light queue is so small that you will constantly be up against some of the best light mech pilots in the game.

Anyways, if you wanna learn to Jenner send me a friend request and we can work something out.

#36 Catalina Steiner

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 2,119 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNagelring Academy

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:43 AM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 31 July 2015 - 02:37 AM, said:

"I can only assume their business strategy is to piss off as many people as possible all at once since I guess that saves time."

Yup. They did it to me on my 6th month here. I have 3 separate customer complaints over a repeating problem. No one has gotten back to me. Tina knows and hasn't followed up with me. Russ knows and is ignoring me. So my wallet is now ignoring PGI.

It's a little thing, but quite often the way a company handles little things tells you what you can expect from a company when there is a bigger problem. I still enjoy the game, not quitting, but I'm no longer funding it. And I was spending about $100 a month. Guess they don't need that money.

Your "problem" had nothing to do with the game but trolling the forums, discussing moderation and don't caring for several warnings. So it's off-tropic by the way.

And don't blame Tina or Russ, blame me for this! Money can't buy the right to troll our forums. It never had, it never will. If staff did not react it doesn't mean they don't care. It means your ticket was invalid.

#37 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:49 AM

View PostLogan Frost, on 30 July 2015 - 06:06 PM, said:

By all laws of averages my team should be shutting the enemy down just as often as they get it. This isnt the case though. I know my battlemechs, Ive been playing since I was a small child, I can see right off the bat when my team is going to be terrible by numbers, light on the tonnage from the get go is always a nice thing to see before the match starts.

Ive got, jesus, maybe five victories, and survived perhaps three of those? Out of 11-13 matches I believe. Yeah, I suck, but maybe if there something in the way of a newbies area of the multiplayer I could learn a thing or two.

Your record is far better than mine when I started, and I got into the game back in the day when we didn't have champion mechs, and your trials were all stock mechs running STD engines, and SHS, with horrible builds.

This game has a learning curve akin to the west side of mount Thor
Spoiler

You've been chucked into the deep end, and there are sharks around. It'll take a while until you get to be your own shark.

Honestly, stories like yours are the reason I take it easy on enemy pilots in champion mechs. I figure they're new, and so I try to make their match against me not as miserable as possible.

#38 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:52 AM

oh, fenrisulvyn suffered from the moderation? and here i thought they were a good boy (or a good girl), not like me;
i like you more now!

#39 Nerdboard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 03:41 AM

View PostLogan Frost, on 31 July 2015 - 07:54 PM, said:

Massive Learning Curve, absolutely no section for new players past being the fodder for the laser vomit and slow grinding makes for new players like me feeling useless and hopeless. It doesnt make me want to play again. At this point I feel like me not hitting that launch button means someone useful might be put on my team. That is NOT how a game should make a new player feel.

MWO lacks even the most basic idea of a balanced matchmaking. This ELO thing, being as we cannot see the ratings, could very well be totally nonexistent and it certainly feels that way. Would it honestly be so difficult to simply do a weaponry point system? Give each weapon an individual value and balance these along with tonnage to make two teams of relatively similar platforms and weapon specs? This way the pinpointing poptarts could play hopscotch with their own and let other players do their thing without worry of reenacting the opening of the Ark scene.

The problem you experience is, as some people have kindof pointed out already, that the MWO playerbase is not huge. This means that on off-hours you can get really imbalanced setups simply because hardly anyone is playing.

Due to this also any kind of very specific match making system like you propose will result in insanely long waiting times. It's therefore simply not feasible.

Also you've played only a couple of matches so far. Calling a game unbalanced after some 30 matches is a really premature judgement. So far you could just have had bad luck. To me it seems like you do not like the meta game (i.e. weapon boats, peeking, high alpha strikes). Personally, I dont either. I run a few mechs on meta builds and some really different. The one thing I can tell you is that with getting more experience in the game it gets better. You can kill 'meta-mechs' with Battletech canon setups or your own fun builds. It's more difficult than with meta builds, but it is definitely possible and provides a fun challenge. If you however feel like the pure fact that people will be able to do 60dmg pinpoint alphas on you annoys you too much, I'd honestly suggest you to look for a different game.

If that is not the case, just remember its a game and maybe look for a unit to make the whole thing a lot easier.

#40 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:22 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 30 July 2015 - 11:01 PM, said:

have you upgraded the Mechs, things like Endo Steel Internals and Double Heat Sinks tend to make a significant difference, and speed is life for a Light Mech, but for the other weight classes as well, up close a Dire Wolf will generally loose to an Atlas or King Crab because the AS7 and KCG can mount larger engines and therefore be faster and more agile despite the fact that the DWF can mount more firepower.

so far everyone has focused on the Orion, but here is some advise for the Jenner
for a JR7 speed is your armor, you want to be going as fast as possible, I would recommend getting an XL engine rated 280, 295 or 300, that will cost 4-5 million cbills (by the time you have done all the upgrades a Light Mech will usualy cost 3-4 times its initial purchase price) you will also want Double Heat Sinks (1.5 million cbills) and also Endo Steel Internals and Fero Fibrus Armor to free up as much tonnage as possible, then you will probably want short to medium range weapons, small or medium lasers or pulse lasers as your main armament, and if you can take missiles SRMs to tear up bigger Mechs or Streek SRMs for anti Light Mech work, if mounting SSRMs you will also want a BAP to allow you to lock on in the presence of enemy ECM.

for a beginner in a Light Mech, your job is to harass the enemy, stay out of signt until the battle is joined then stay behind cover as much as possible but above all else keep moving, you hit the enemy from a different direction to the rest of your team so they have to choose between swatting that annoying light or killing those heavy Mechs who are firing at them,

always try to target the enemy (press R), after about 5 seconds this will bring up a "paper doll" damage readout and the weapons load out for the enemy Mech in the top right corner of your HUD, yellow means healthy, red means seriously damaged, the line around the outside of a component is armor, the solid is structure, as a Light try to avoid anything with Streak SRMs or LBX autocannons as they are very good at hurting lights.

you will require patience,
I will usualy scout to try to locate the enemy in the early parts of the game, this is high risk low reward as you could take heavy damage and help win the match but get no rewards for it, the second you are noticed fall back to the rest of the team, as one good hit can cripple or kill a Jenner.
when you find the enemy you need to tell the team, if you have a mike you can just hold down caps lock and say e,g, "8 Mechs in Charley 4 moving towards Echo 5", that means your team knows the enemy have not all grouped up yet and tells them where to go to try to ambush the enemy (somewhere around E5)
if you find a lone heavy or assault especially a missile boat with little close in armament then you will probably be able to take it, you should have the speed to stay behind it and strip the Mech.

never attack anything head on, be sneaky and annoying, that is what your Mech is best at

This^^ is pretty much solid gold advice here. Jenner's are great mechs, but they, and most lights generally are very unforgiving rides. Jenner's have huge center torso's, and don't have the magic hit boxes of Firestarters or Ravens. You stop moving in a Jenner and you are dead. Speed is indeed life. I would put the Jenner in the hangar until you can afford dual heat sinks and an XL300 engine. Then upgrade to Endo Steel structure and Ferro Fibrous armor. These upgrades make the mech VERY expensive, but are almost mandatory. Run that -K with either 4xML's and an SRM4, or (not my choice) 4xML's and a SSRM2. The problem with running "Streaks", is you really MUST run a BAP module, so you have a chance of getting missile locks with all the ECM equipped mechs running around. Streaks without locks are useless. And every single ton of weight on a light must be very carefully planned out. So for me, I don't run streaks on my Jenners. That SRM4 will launch whether they have ECM or not.

On a Jenner, you're easier to hit in the CT from the side than you are even from straight on in front. Look at the mech from the side, everything "in front" of the legs is all counted CT on the hit box. So when you're circling an enemy mech, try to keep your nose pointed directly at the enemy mech as much as possible, even while you're running away in the other direction.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users