• Fire
  • Fire
  • 178 posts
  • LocationQLD australia

Posted 01 August 2015 - 03:53 AM

haha SEA server... what a joke

i said years ago having one was a waste of time and i still stand by it
and heres why....

1. not enuf players to keep it going because of point 2.

2. we got elitist US and EU players already refusing to play on it and its not even released, wats da matter poor babies? afraid of some ping?..... its good enuf for us but not good enuf for you?...oh oh kaaay

even world of tanks sea server struggles with player numbers and thats saying something

#42 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:17 AM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 01 August 2015 - 03:21 AM, said:

only the last is a valid reason though

it might be a gas giant of which the planet of the river city was a satellite

actually the giant star on that new cw map is way worse in the astronomical sense, any blue star being so close would evaporate the planet, and when everybody calls it star it's kind of hard to pretend it's another gas giant, you know

It doesn't matter what it is. Unless its like pluto and charon which are in "locked orbit", it should move across the sky when the sun moves.

Posted Image

More importantly, while the sun casts a shadow on river city to produce day and night. The Planet/Moon/watever doesn't change color at all. There is no shade cast over it, or reflections off the sun like our moon does at night.

It just doesn't make any sense. Because all it is is a 2D texture piece glued to the same place on the screen.

Edited by Tennex, 01 August 2015 - 04:19 AM.

#43 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:34 AM

View PostTennex, on 01 August 2015 - 04:17 AM, said:

It doesn't matter what it is. Unless its like pluto and charon which are in "locked orbit", it should move across the sky when the sun moves.

it does matter because the speed of how fast the planet spins i.e. how fast the sun crosses the sky and how fast that gas giant travels the sky (as the result of both spinning and orbiting) may be vastly different, it may move for the span of a few days or even weeks, for instance, furthermore, it's possible that they both spin that way that the one side of the satellite faces the gas giant forever and the position of the gas giant is effectively locked at the spot, it's how the moon's visible side always faces the earth, from the moon the earth looks locked like that gas giant

>More importantly, while the sun casts a shadow on river city to produce day and night. The Planet/Moon/watever doesn't change color at all.

can be explained, we don't really know about the albedo of that planet and stuff

as i have said, the clouds behind the planet is the only thing which is 100% wrong

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 01 August 2015 - 04:40 AM.

#44 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:39 AM

River City: The planet has been removed from the skybox, pending a visual beautification pass

Very good call!

Solid patch. Looking forward to the new mech select screen.

View PostTennex, on 01 August 2015 - 04:17 AM, said:

Posted Image

More importantly, while the sun casts a shadow on river city to produce day and night. The Planet/Moon/watever doesn't change color at all. There is no shade cast over it, or reflections off the sun like our moon does at night.

It just doesn't make any sense. Because all it is is a 2D texture piece glued to the same place on the screen.

Thank you!

#45 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:51 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 01 August 2015 - 04:39 AM, said:

Thank you!

kinda funny how people on the forums like pics as kids like shiny toys, even when it's unclear what that pic even was supposed to mean
k, i can post the pic of how the moon faces the earth too, lol

Posted Image

#46 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:56 AM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 01 August 2015 - 04:34 AM, said:

it does matter because the speed of how fast the planet spins i.e. how fast the sun crosses the sky and how fast that gas giant travels the sky (as the result of both spinning and orbiting) may be vastly different, it may move for the span of a few days or even weeks, for instance, furthermore, it's possible that they both spin that way that the one side of the satellite faces the gas giant forever and the position of the gas giant is effectively locked at the spot, it's how the moon's visible side always faces the earth, from the moon the earth looks locked like that gas giant

The light cast by the sun is what causes the moon to crescent...

Posted Image

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 01 August 2015 - 04:51 AM, said:

kinda funny how people on the forums like pics as kids like shiny toys, even when it's unclear what that pic even was supposed to mean
k, i can post the pic of how the moon faces the earth too, lol

Posted Image

That doesn't even make sense, the moon isn't spinning lol

Edited by Tennex, 01 August 2015 - 05:02 AM.

#47 BSK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:59 AM

View PostJin Ma, on 31 July 2015 - 07:14 PM, said:

Why don't they just remove that premium time restriction on the Private lobbies already

Its pretty odd to be saying that you want to encourage the growth of ESports, when the game doesn't even support players getting together in a game without a premium account

"we want to support the growth of our ESports community, but only if they have a premium account"

That doesnt make any sense it all. Please use your brain before you open your mouth.

#48 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:04 AM

View PostTennex, on 01 August 2015 - 04:54 AM, said:

The light cast by the sun is what causes the moon to crescent...

Posted Image

bzz, can you even read?

the moon travels the sky, albeit not that fast
the earth from the moon as i have written and the moon from the earth are two completely different sights

as for the crescent phases, yeah it should undergo them, but, as for our moon each phase, including almost full moon, lasts for several days, so you cannot really complain that it's unrealistic to see that gas planet full for 1 day

#49 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:07 AM

View PostBSK, on 01 August 2015 - 04:59 AM, said:

That doesnt make any sense it all. Please use your brain before you open your mouth.

I dunno 5 other ppl thinks it makes sense so far Maybe ur special

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 01 August 2015 - 05:04 AM, said:

the earth from the moon as i have written and the moon from the earth are two completely different sights

Sure, which also explains why the moon moves across the sky. The moon spins around the earth, allowing it to have several sights of the earth.

Edited by Tennex, 01 August 2015 - 05:09 AM.

#50 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:10 AM

Really happy about the oceanic servers.

As Shin Vector said "we can carry even with a terrible ping" so imagine what we can do when we can actually hit what we shoot at.

I agree numbers will be a problem at first, lets hope this is a "build it, they will come" moment.

Everybody that knows some body who quit because of the ping should make an effort to get them to try again.

#51 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:29 AM

View Postslide, on 01 August 2015 - 05:10 AM, said:

Agree numbers will be a problem at first, lets hope this is a "build it, they will come" moment.

Let's hope....

They could always revisit this decision at a later build.
At least the 'High Ping has advantage!' folk should be extinct moving forward.

Edited by ShinVector, 01 August 2015 - 05:30 AM.

#52 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:37 AM

View PostNight Thastus, on 31 July 2015 - 07:03 PM, said:

It really feels like PGI is starting to move in a good direction. While this patch isn't anything super-duper exciting (Like PVE or CW Beta 3) it's a nice patch that fixes bugs and makes the mechlab less of a pain in the ass. I'll gladly take it.

Also thank goodness that collision change is being rolled back. Ugh.
Speak for yourself.
This patch excites me a lot. :P

Mechlabs going to be amazing.

#53 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:39 AM

I will always stay on my NA server, hope there was actually enough oceanic players to keep that server up. Hopefully money gets divided by region to pay for the server. Won't be happy if we lose features or growth because NA pays for the servers.

#54 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:45 AM

An o.k patch, because of the much needed server, for the Oceanic's
A few good map bug fixes, and mech improvements

Other than that the bulk, is fluff or buy more camo mechs etc, or please help us screw this game up more, by making e-sport popular

#55 Duncan1dah0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 375 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:05 AM

Wow, 3 days to dream about the new changes. I love getting these patch notes early. It gives the water cooler conversation a new topic to debate.

#56 -Ramrod-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 677 posts
  • LocationSome place

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:29 AM

So we're going to have to wait 6 months for the Arctic Cheetah collision issues to be resolved? Greatly disappointed that this obvious very important issue was not fixed right away.

#57 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:06 PM

View Postball0fire, on 01 August 2015 - 03:53 AM, said:

haha SEA server... what a joke

i said years ago having one was a waste of time and i still stand by it
and heres why....

1. not enuf players to keep it going because of point 2.

2. we got elitist US and EU players already refusing to play on it and its not even released, wats da matter poor babies? afraid of some ping?..... its good enuf for us but not good enuf for you?...oh oh kaaay

even world of tanks sea server struggles with player numbers and thats saying something

Considering PGI knows where everyone is playing from and at what ping, can calculate the probability of successful matches based upon predicted server selection, and is running a business, I have a feeling its not going to be as bad has you fear. Also, it provides PGI a solid foundation from which to increase its marketing in that region. Prior, I would imagine advertising within the pacific region would have been less profitable versus other market areas due to lower retention stemming from the high ping.

#58 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:42 PM

View PostDracol, on 01 August 2015 - 12:06 PM, said:

Considering PGI knows where everyone is playing from and at what ping, can calculate the probability of successful matches based upon predicted server selection, and is running a business, I have a feeling its not going to be as bad has you fear. Also, it provides PGI a solid foundation from which to increase its marketing in that region. Prior, I would imagine advertising within the pacific region would have been less profitable versus other market areas due to lower retention stemming from the high ping.

I hope you're right because I don't want funds for MWO being sucked out so a few 12 mans get lower pings.

#59 Pilotshark

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 61 posts
  • LocationUnder heavy enemy fire

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:46 PM

Love MWO. Everything else in patch notes as well as the general direction of MWO are very well recieved and consequently i have spent a lot of $$$ in support of PGI over the last few years from beta to now on nearly every monetised offering. However, I am more than a little alarmed by the potential consolisiation as it's seeds are on display as follows.

"If you want to take full advantage of the spectator tool we highly recommend the use of a gamepad controller such as the MS 360 Controller for Windows. Using a gamepad instead of a keyboard and mouse will allow you to achieve nice, smooth camera movements. The keyboard and mouse work just fine if you don't have a gamepad available, but you won't be able to achieve the same level of analog control.
This is the first implementation of the player-accessible spectator tool, but the tool will be getting more features and tuning as time allows."

Slippery slope becoming somewhat visible here? xbox release next?

"The keyboard and mouse work just fine if you don't have a gamepad available, but you won't be able to achieve the same level of analog control."

Thanks for making fine motor movements that will be used by pc users for content creation a console controller afterthought.

Will watch with interest, but will be hesitant to continue spending money on MWO at the breakneck pace I have been on my account and others if this is the case.

/fearful worry of devolution of a beloved IP

#60 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:49 PM

Was I mistaken or was there a reference to "improved Cockpit glass"?

I'm starting to really wonder where the priorities of this game are going (actually, I already do wonder, but it's usually not in a constructive direction).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users