22 replies to this topic

#1 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:23 AM

Hey there,

so i'm leveling my new bought Highlanders... doing ok so far but...i'm getting shocked
every time i see the endmatch screen and checking out my gained XP:

Posted Image

Why the heck do i gain THAT little XP? Even with premium time... i found out that this happens to my other assaults as well. Instead having one or two kills with my raven with lower damage dealt i'm getting way more XP...

Edit: the next game i had 3 kills, one assist and a little over 500 dmg and got 300xp more than that... something's wrong?

Edited by Thrudvangar, 02 August 2015 - 02:40 AM.

#2 9thDeathscream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 563 posts
  • LocationDown Under. 260 pinging.

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:00 AM

Seems tied primarily to damage output and assists.

Hit every mech you see for the assists.

It seems every time you bump up the damage into the next 100 zone the XP steps up lot.

#3 Blue Boutique

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 481 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:11 AM

First victory of the day doubles your experience gained.

#4 MechWarrior849305

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:14 AM

Who said that MWO will not be painful? :lol:

#5 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:16 AM

I think assists and spotting bonuses, scouting, etc, all end up leveling a mech faster than raw dmg and kills.

I know I found running around in fast mediums and lights to be faster leveling than my assaults and some heavies, unless clan, in which case, it takes about 3 matches to get through basic...clan just does that.

#6 MechWarrior849305

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:19 AM

View PostKodyn, on 02 August 2015 - 03:16 AM, said:

...it takes about 3 matches to get through basic...clan just does that.

Yeah, tell this to Sh!tCat -_-

Edited by DuoAngel, 02 August 2015 - 03:21 AM.

#7 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:20 AM

View PostBlue Boutique, on 02 August 2015 - 03:11 AM, said:

First victory of the day doubles your experience gained.

i know but that isn't why i started the topic....

View PostKodyn, on 02 August 2015 - 03:16 AM, said:

I think assists and spotting bonuses, scouting, etc, all end up leveling a mech faster than raw dmg and kills.

I know I found running around in fast mediums and lights to be faster leveling than my assaults and some heavies, unless clan, in which case, it takes about 3 matches to get through basic...clan just does that.

Yeah... unfortunately its a pain in the ass to level assaults with a maximum of 60kp/h.. no scouting, spotting and all that..
when i reach the battelzone, the only thing i can do is inflicting damage and killing ppl.

Leveling assaults is painful...

#8 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:39 AM

View PostDuoAngel, on 02 August 2015 - 03:19 AM, said:

Yeah, tell this to Sh!tCat -_-

Well my only major experience with Clam tech has been heavies/SCR, so yeah..

And I feel your pain OP, looking at getting the Zeus trio purchased and leveled this week...it's gonna hurt in every way possible.

Add to the speed of leveling how much assaults actually need their speed tweak and 2x basics to even run right, and yeah...it's a world of hurt. I do enjoy the end result however.

#9 Kissamies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:48 AM

Heh, when I'm leveling lights, I get dangerously close to the enemy deathball and pop an UAV and run like hell. Even if it gets shot down instantly, as it often does, I get all that delicious scouting XP. Can't use that tactic with assaults, but I seem to be doing OK with the most damage done kills and occasional savior kills.

#10 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:49 AM

Looking at that screenshot, you did 400 damage for 6 kills, that's only 60-70 damage per kill; even less when you have three assists (puts it down to 45 damage on average per 'mech you killed or assisted).

That's quite a bit on the low side, especially for an assault. So, first things first, you need to step up your damage output.

Apart from that, have a look at this thread to find out what you need to do to get properly rewarded: Rewards 2.0 - what you need to do to get XP and CB.

#11 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:33 AM

Not all Assault mechs are equal. The slow ones, like the Highlander and the Dire Wolf, have a hard time being in the right position at all times. Which means you get robbed of a lot of bonuses, like savior kills, spotting bonuses and assists.

In this particular case, it looks like you rarely got the 'most damage done' bonus, you didn't destroy too many components, you didn't get too many 'solo kill' bonuses or 'brawling' bonuses and you really didn't do too much damage. If the victory was a roflstomp, you probably didn't get too many 'savior kill' bonuses, because your teammates were in good shape.

That being said.... the Paulconomy needs to change before Steam release.

#12 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:33 AM

That's a great list and as you can see many xp rewards are out of reach for assaults. What I will tell you is always have a UAV and a strike equipped. The UAV can give you quite a bit of xp rewards and the strike often adds a good amount of damage to your total. Keep some long ranged weapons so you can do damage at range, but you want to be ready to get brawling kills whenever possible. Lastly always target enemies and aim for weak points to add in those component destructions. You always want the fighting to be near you.

#13 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:56 AM

View PostThrudvangar, on 02 August 2015 - 03:20 AM, said:

i know but that isn't why i started the topic....

Yeah... unfortunately its a pain in the ass to level assaults with a maximum of 60kp/h.. no scouting, spotting and all that..
when i reach the battelzone, the only thing i can do is inflicting damage and killing ppl.

Leveling assaults is painful...

And I thought leveling lights were painful, where inflicting dmg and kill dosent occur that often. Some sort of weird balance between the classes?

#14 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:20 AM

OP,

I'm not really sure where the problem lies (as in how to modify), as I don't know your builds or playstyle. Highlanders are really slow (I know you know this after piloting them), so it is hard to get in position early in the match. You must be on the move the very second the match starts, and not sitting there fingering your exhaust port for the first 2 min of the match (not sure if you do this, but it seems more common among assault pilots for some reason).

Also you need at least one long range weapon, ERLL, LL, ERPPC/PPC, so you can engage some targets at longer range while you're still moving into engagement range for your brawling weapons. You should also be packing some brawling weapons, AC10,AC20, 2xAC5, or even an LB10 for when armor gets stripped. And I like to run SRM's, either 6's or 4's, depending on your build and tonnage. I'm personally not a big Gauss fan, but I do run one on the chassis with the Gauss quirk (forget which one atm).

Maybe you could switch your energy weapons to pulse lasers to get more damage on a specific location of the target? But playstyles vary, so what works for me may be totally different then what works for you.

I'm only guessing from that score that you're "vulturing" more kills than anything. Still 6 kills and 3 assists means you're putting shots on 9 of the 12 enemy team. Not bad. And 10 components destroyed among 6 kills isn't bad either, but it looks like your team mates were more aggressive in that match and did most of the armor and component stripping before you could fire the last shot for the kill. So you miss most damage and killing blow rewards. Maybe aim for side torsos more on a "fresh" target, instead of just hammering the CT. You pop the ST, and you get more component destruction rewards. Or take the arms off of that Direwhale first, before you kill it. It's kind of fun that way, you can feel that test tube baby's frustration through the cockpit glass.

But if you're PUG'ging, then it's hard to gauge the aggression level of your team. If you're out in front to early, you're the one that gets focused down and killed, and no xp or Cbills. If you play it too conservative, there's nothing left for you to target, and no xp or Cbills...

But 6 kills and you survived the match is pretty good piloting. I'd take that all day long. Maybe just sweep through your Highlanders one at a time to get the 2x xp for first win of the day, and then pilot another chassis or 3? Of the ones I'm grinding xp on, I try to hit all the daily win bonuses on each one when I have time to play.

#15 VaudeVillain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:26 AM

The reason Assaults score so low on XP is that they are slow. Because group points don't start until you first do damage to an enemy 'Mech, you start getting points later and because a lot of people run Clan 'Mechs, you get outdistanced quickly, so you lose the group bonuses as well.

Of course, another problem is that because you are outdistanced so quickly, you get whittled down by faster enemies, so you don't have all your original firepower or durability by the time you do catch up to your team or you get overrun and die.

As a 3025 pilot, I make significantly less XP and money due to being too slow to maintain group bonus issues and the single heat sink heat dissipation nerf.

Edited by GaiDaigoji, 02 August 2015 - 10:30 AM.

#16 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:33 AM

I notice this consistently as well, and here's the real reason, imo:

Assaults don't get a brawling reward. Check out stjobe's great thread on the matter, and you will notice that the best way to rake in cash and XP is to get solo kills, which award the biggest bonuses, and if you get a solo kill it also means you get kill most damage dealt, which is the third largest bonus. Mediums and heavies ALSO get a brawling bonus for getting any solo kill at under 450m, which is the second largest award, but even though many assaults are brawlers, they do not qualify for brawler kills, robbing them of a significant amount of XP and CB.

Oh, and if you are still alive at the end of the match, make sure you are at least hitting everyone who dies a little before they die, it's pretty much guaranteed "savior" kills even if you don't contribute to the fight beyond a damage or two you get the full reward and it adds up quickly.

#17 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:21 PM

View PostThrudvangar, on 02 August 2015 - 02:23 AM, said:

Hey there,

so i'm leveling my new bought Highlanders... doing ok so far but...i'm getting shocked

Posted Image

Why the heck do i gain THAT little XP? Even with premium time... i found out that this happens to my other assaults as well. Instead having one or two kills with my raven with lower damage dealt i'm getting way more XP...

Edit: the next game i had 3 kills, one assist and a little over 500 dmg and got 300xp more than that... something's wrong?

You need "Solo Kills". They will give you the most XP. You can't just finish off nearly dead enemies and count that as a kill.

See here? Even in defeat you can earn a lot of XP, as long as you dealt the most damage to the enemy mechs and then finished them off. Assists will not give you much XP unless you manage to get "Savior Kill".

Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 02 August 2015 - 06:23 PM.

#18 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:13 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 02 August 2015 - 06:21 PM, said:

You need "Solo Kills". They will give you the most XP. You can't just finish off nearly dead enemies and count that as a kill.

This.

Solo Kills are worth 280 xp each... PLUS 80 for the Kill Most Damage Dealt and another 30 for the Kill Shot that are both required to get the Solo Kill. So that's 390 xps per Mech.

For XPs it's not sufficient to just do a lot of damage. You have to do a lot of damage to individual Mechs like Bandito did in that game. 810 damage, 3 kills, 1 assist. He averaged 200+ damage per target compared to your 45.

Edited by Roadkill, 02 August 2015 - 07:14 PM.

#19 Darlith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 348 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:23 AM

The trouble is assaults lose out on a lot of the rewards that pad the XP gain on smaller mechs. So they are pretty much stuck just getting rewarded for damage, assists and kills.

Add on to that you can do almost all the damage to a mech and someone else gets that killing blow, which takes away a large chunk of XP from you (Check it out sometime, there is a huge reward for solo kill 280 + 80 for most damage compared to most damage dealt alone which is only 80). I have had matches in an assault with 250damage, but two solo kills that seemed to far outscore a 500damage match with four kills but no or only 1 solo kills (numbers made up off the top of my head, but representative of something that can easily happen in an assault).

#20 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:49 AM

View PostThrudvangar, on 02 August 2015 - 02:23 AM, said:

Hey there,

Posted Image

Cause we should not be able to become Elite pilots in a week.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users