#61 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:28 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 03 August 2015 - 04:01 PM, said:

I don't know what you're talking about. I know - it seems everyone on the forums knows - exactly why we lost that last match: Everyone else on our team was a drooling incompetent, and we can only carry so hard. Meanwhile, the other team was filled with hardcore comp players sync dropping.

Posted Image

View PostSlepnir, on 03 August 2015 - 03:42 PM, said:

Kiiyor
tactic, paying attention to objectives, defending your assets?

Madness I say!

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, making players multitask ads so much more to the game, especially when some players cannot grasp the concept.

lol, it really does seem like common sense to me, but I see so many players who's multitasking ability goes as far as intensely standing in one spot behind a building, growing more and more apprehensive as the cap bar shrinks.

"If only I was piloting a vehicle that could MOVE me back to base to prevent that somehow! ALAS, I'M STUCK HERE PEEKIN'".

#62 Rhent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:41 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 03 August 2015 - 03:23 AM, said:

Too long, didn't read.

The main failings with assault are simple:

- It is an idiotic concept for a game mode. "We have to protect this base that has no defenses other than our mechs." Great. So why bother ever leaving the base area? It just doesn't make sense and punishes players for actually trying to engage the target.

- All defenses of the current assault idiocy simple assume that "somebody else" will be playing a fast light mech, hanging near the base, and otherwise being shoe-horned into a narrow and often boring role "just in case something happens to the base." Again, that is failed game mode design - a game mode's success should NOT be dependent upon players making poor choices and voluntarily reducing the amount of fun they are having "just in case" something happens.

But who cares - assault is "great" so long as I can fight other mechs in my Timberwolf or assault mech, and then yell at the rest of my team for not playing Lights and stopping the cap. Ugh...

The defense the base has is the time it takes to cap, which is significant for one or two mechs.

Now people have the option of doing a base rush to cap which requires scouting and delaying actions to slow the opposing team from getting to the cap to stop the cap.

Since they've removed the turrets I've had some of the best games in MWO in the last 12 months with fights over caps where both teams are capping at the same time and they both have aggressors trying to stop the other team from capping. You even get to the point where crippled mechs will shut down in the cap and play dead preventing capping from going on. All of this in the Pug queue.

You could be having an ELO bracket problem where people don't understand how to cap or you could just be someone who only wants to fight skirmish or conquest. If that is the case, then don't play Assault, its not for you.

#63 Slepnir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 723 posts
  • Locationyelm washington

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:57 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 03 August 2015 - 07:28 PM, said:

Posted Image

lol, it really does seem like common sense to me, but I see so many players who's multitasking ability goes as far as intensely standing in one spot behind a building, growing more and more apprehensive as the cap bar shrinks.

"If only I was piloting a vehicle that could MOVE me back to base to prevent that somehow! ALAS, I'M STUCK HERE PEEKIN'".

Heck sometimes I would be happy if they bothered to pay attention to the minimap to notice enemies sneaking up behind them.

Assault mode without turrets has now become one of the most dynamic modes, I find myself fighting on parts of the maps nobody used to go to.

Although you can't fix stupid..... like friendly players in warthunder ground that spawn in and immediately accelerate no matter what is in front of them then try to drive through other players even after the they have hit them and are pushing against them.

#64 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:26 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 03 August 2015 - 03:23 AM, said:

Too long, didn't read.

The main failings with assault are simple:

- It is an idiotic concept for a game mode. "We have to protect this base that has no defenses other than our mechs." Great. So why bother ever leaving the base area? It just doesn't make sense and punishes players for actually trying to engage the target.

- All defenses of the current assault idiocy simple assume that "somebody else" will be playing a fast light mech, hanging near the base, and otherwise being shoe-horned into a narrow and often boring role "just in case something happens to the base." Again, that is failed game mode design - a game mode's success should NOT be dependent upon players making poor choices and voluntarily reducing the amount of fun they are having "just in case" something happens.

-Or, your team could advance, like, half way across the field and take position. That way you can, like, defend if you need to. Then if you start getting an upper hand you can pressure the enemy by teasing their base, to like, confuse them. Or if you have the numbers and position, cap their base.

-And if your team, like, stays near the halfway point or maybe just advanced only 1/3rd across the man and positions kinda to the left, you can roll the fast enemies that NASCAR'd and left their big guns behind. Then when their NASCAR stops and diggs in one of your lights can flank to the right and harass one of their slow mechs still near the tail, and when he runs up to the battle line, teases the enemy base.

Reinstating turrets will only revert it back to 'Skirmish in the middle due to less map space' with the option of those few teammates who farm turrets for exp. The occasional nub that suicides via turret. The cowards that 'fall back to base' after their arm gets cored...for defense of course.

Assualt is "Bad" because Pugs are conditioned ala Pavlov to run to center-right and shoot 'something'. Cookies get chased. Camps get set. Leeroys will go Jenkins.

Assault offers an option NOT to Skirmish(because we already have that mode), its just that players are too conditioned NOT to be aware and think tactically. I blame CoD...

#65 Hades Trooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationWillow Tree, NSW

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:51 AM

No turrents is the worst idea possible, cap warrior has returned and the number of times i see people just aimless head for the opposing teams base, fail to cap then get mugged by 6 mechs as the rest of the 10 team mates are dead is laughable.

At least with turrents they would contribute to the fight and capping was an option but now, it's just head to the opposing base asap and win 0-4 cause it pays so much, WHY do people even bother to just cap and not fire a single shot?

BRING back turrents, just some maps those lrms need to be replaced with srms and the turrents perfect aim needs to be dealt with. Turrents are a good idea, PGI implentation of them is just piss poor

#66 topgun505

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:24 AM

I generally don't see early cap wins on assault these days. After the AC came out I tried doing my old tactic from closed beta (hit the cap early to split up the opposing team).

The tactic has a few problems.

Speed of cap. It takes way too bloody long to cap solo. A blinkin DW can trundle his fat arse back from the middle of the map to stop you before you can finish. The only way capping might work is if you build specifically for it (i.e. take cap accel module) or you have teammates go with you (which never happens in pug ... so you have to restrict this to group que).

Enemy response. Since pugs never seem to want to help this typically means that when the enemy responds, because they usually do, you will be dealing with 2-3 lights on your own which is a death sentence unless yer in a Locust that might be able to outrun them. Granted you will be tying up all of their lights briefly but the maps are small enough that their lights will be able to get back to the front lines in very little time, so your death is largely just a waste of a unit on your team.

And, as mentioned, you don't get much money for doing so, so there is little incentive to even try.

#67 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:46 AM

I just find it funny that PGI repeats itself...they have no hindsight.

Im pretty sure this same thing happened when turrets were put INTO assault...everyone whined.

I wil admit assault sucks with nothing guarding the base but then again the amount of lights in the game these days make it easy to RTB.

And i bet in about 5 months turrets will be back in assault and everyone will act like the sky is falling and that this is new and has never been done before and they will also whine about it.

#68 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:25 AM

View PostMoldur, on 02 August 2015 - 07:48 PM, said:

But whining is what got the rest of us into this mess in the first place. Removing turrets was a mistake. *shrugs*

But but, wasn't it the "Whining" about the "addition" of those now missing Turrets that got us to where we are now? No Turrets, WHINE!, add Turrets, WHINE!, remove Turrets, WHINE!

Maybe we could put them back and see what happens... LOL! I got 10 bucks on more WHINE!

#69 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:28 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 04 August 2015 - 09:25 AM, said:

But but, wasn't it the "Whining" about the "addition" of those now missing Turrets that got us to where we are now? No Turrets, WHINE!, add Turrets, WHINE!, remove Turrets, WHINE!

Maybe we could put them back and see what happens... LOL! I got 10 bucks on more WHINE!

I highly doubt it. PGI finally figured out their original mistake: listening to whiners.

#70 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:47 AM

View PostMystere, on 04 August 2015 - 09:28 AM, said:

I highly doubt it. PGI finally figured out their original mistake: listening to whiners.

I sincerely doubt that they've learned that lesson. *points at the still nerfed SCR and TBR*
Then points at the *K2* and the Atlas DDC.

#71 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:01 AM

View PostMystere, on 04 August 2015 - 09:28 AM, said:

LOL! If the lesson was learned, why remove the turrets after the "whining" about them...? ;)

Edited by Almond Brown, 04 August 2015 - 10:02 AM.

#72 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:12 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 04 August 2015 - 10:01 AM, said:

LOL! If the lesson was learned, why remove the turrets after the "whining" about them...? ;)

You get an "F" for failing the first lesson on satire.

:lol:

#73 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:07 AM

View PostLugh, on 04 August 2015 - 09:47 AM, said:

I sincerely doubt that they've learned that lesson. *points at the still nerfed SCR and TBR*
Then points at the *K2* and the Atlas DDC.

Myself and several Summoner pilots got on our knees in PGI bathroom stalls and 'whined' our hearts out...

Not a damn change was implemented to the Summoner aside from quirks.

#74 TheNef

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:13 AM

The turrets will be back in some guise soon enough and then all will be well again.

Edited by TheNef, 04 August 2015 - 11:13 AM.

#75 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:15 AM

.....Meanwhile, the other team was filled with hardcore comp players sync dropping.

Really?

So it was the Synch drop boogey mans fault? i hope this is sarcasm....

#76 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:39 AM

In response to Kiiyor's 3-Step Plan of Tactical Achievements in Base Defense:

Spoiler

#77 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:50 AM

I don't know what you're talking about. I know - it seems everyone on the forums knows - exactly why we lost that last match: Everyone else on our team was a drooling incompetent, and we can only carry so hard. Meanwhile, the other team was filled with hardcore comp players sync dropping.

The MM is an excellent troll! Elo increases when you stop with the cap circle and everyone who pewpews more reduces Elo.... or was it the other way around...

;)

#78 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:55 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 02 August 2015 - 07:06 PM, said:

I'm surprised people play Assault mode at all, considering its meager pay should one side win by fast cap. ;)

I don't recall when I last cared how many c-bills I earned during a match. It simply doesn't matter any more.

#79 LordMelvin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:56 AM

I gotta say, the change to Assault inspired me to plug my headset back in and play some MechCommander with the puggles. Has a few games last night in my Shadowcat that ended with very successful counter pushes against our own base, including one pincer attack where mediums and lights formed the anvil for our heavy/assault hammer.

In a different match, I was able to help coordinate a frontal assault (on Mordor no less) to push a camping team sitting on their base.

tl:dr: I don't mind the removal of turrets. In fact, I welcome being able to fight on smaller maps without random lrms raining down on me.

#80 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:40 PM

View Post1453 R, on 04 August 2015 - 11:39 AM, said:

In response to Kiiyor's 3-Step Plan of Tactical Achievements in Base Defense:

Seriously, folks. Seriously. It's not that hard. You have a base, you know it's threatened by enemies. It's not like Skirmish will magically metamorphose into Assault halfway through a match and you're going to find yourself surprised by the sudden need to defend something that didn't exist at game start.

Though, actually, that'd be a hell of a way to make Skirmish more interesting. Mid-game switch to Conquest or Assault, huzzah! Now you might actually have to PAY ATTENTION! The horror!

But they too broke to pay attention. Paul-nomics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users