The Player Experience After 28 Games

113 replies to this topic

#1 Unknown Friendly Fire

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:14 AM

So this cadet bonus is kinda low it feels.

I used the stormcrow for all matches as per recommendations from friends and after 28 games i can't even buy the trial mech i've been driving.

10.6 mill after 28 games and the mech costs 11.2 mill. This doesn't allow for changing any weapons and heaven forbids the radar derpvation module that i'd really like as those lrms seem to wreck me good atm.

20k exp banked on the stormcrow C but can't even spent any exp to get some skills on it either till i can buy it.

So without any premium time or a mech with 30% c-bill bonus, thus really feels like a big big grind i'm not sure if this is really the experience that the devs want for a new pilot but it's the one i've had.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,974 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:16 AM

View PostUnknown Friendly Fire, on 05 August 2015 - 03:14 AM, said:

I used the stormcrow for all matches as per recommendations from friends and after 28 games i can't even buy the trial mech i've been driving.

10.6 mill after 28 games and the mech costs 11.2 mill. This doesn't allow for changing any weapons and heaven forbids the radar derpvation module that i'd really like as those lrms seem to wreck me good atm.

20k exp banked on the stormcrow C but can't even spent any exp to get some skills on it either till i can buy it.

So without any premium time or a mech with 30% c-bill bonus, thus really feels like a big big grind i'm not sure if this is really the experience that the devs want for a new pilot but it's the one i've had.

It "is" a big grind. That's the purpose.

PGI wants you to spend your cash on 'Mechs. What have you thought?

#3 Daelen Rottiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:17 AM

Welcome :)

It's either grinding the hell outta your free time or buying mechs/premium time with cash.

#4 meteorol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:21 AM

On the upside, there are now viable IS trial mechs in all weightclasses.
New players that want to try clanmechs have to suffer as usual. Running around with like 40 CT armor on a heavy is an experience everyone should make. not.

#5 Will HellFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 203 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:22 AM

Honeslty, if you like the game enough to play 28 games, just spend some cash. It will kickstart you very very fast.

#6 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:22 AM

As a Clanner you should have to fight a Trial of Position
0-1 Kill: Light Omni
2 Kills: Medium
3 Kills: Heavy
4 Kills: Assault

2-4 Kills can choose any Omni below their win if they so desire.

#7 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:27 AM

maybe buy light/medium/cheap heavy, then META mech at first.

#8 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:29 AM

There are ways to maximize your XP and cbill earnings that just involve playing the game. If your interested in learning more, PM me, glad to help.

The game IS what you make of it. If you make it a grind then that is what it will be. PGI cannot fix that, players do.

#9 Catalina Steiner

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 2,119 posts
  • LocationNagelring Academy

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:30 AM

Certainly you can start with a very good IS medium mech and fit it out with everything you need.

#10 TheCharlatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:37 AM

Posted Image

#11 Unknown Friendly Fire

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:37 AM

View PostTitannium, on 05 August 2015 - 03:27 AM, said:

I used a stormcrow back in mechwarrior 2 days and the roleplaying game this is why i've gone the stormcrow and picked clan.

View PostWill HellFire, on 05 August 2015 - 03:22 AM, said:

Honeslty, if you like the game enough to play 28 games, just spend some cash. It will kickstart you very very fast.

28 games was just one afternoon, i don't see why with such a limited playing i should invest in the game atm, when i've been told to get the stormcrow pack is either $55 a la carte or $180 for the wave 1 pack that gives it.

For $55 i can buy the Deadpool game on steam for full price plus have $15 spare, that's a lot of money for 1 chassis when compared to a complete full game and a discounted game.

IDK if i could recommend this to my steam buddies who haven't tried it yet at these prices.

View PostDaelen Rottiger, on 05 August 2015 - 03:17 AM, said:

Welcome :)

It's either grinding the hell outta your free time or buying mechs/premium time with cash.

compared to other free to play games this grind seems like it's over whelming where is i can grind in other games for the same time put in and achieved something, where is this i feel like i've been stung as i'm told i need 2 other storm crows as well to get past basic skills

#12 Unknown Friendly Fire

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:41 AM

View PostCatalina Steiner, on 05 August 2015 - 03:30 AM, said:

Certainly you can start with a very good IS medium mech and fit it out with everything you need.

Never played a IS mech, have no interest, MW2 and roleplaying battletech is my background and that is what i'd like to do here.

#13 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,974 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:52 AM

View PostUnknown Friendly Fire, on 05 August 2015 - 03:41 AM, said:

Never played a IS mech, have no interest, MW2 and roleplaying battletech is my background and that is what i'd like to do here.

Sorry, this game offers nothing than endless grind in never-ending series of deathmatches that have no purpose whatsoever. You can forget roleplaying or anything like that. Sorry again.

#14 Charronn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationPictland

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:54 AM

View PostUnknown Friendly Fire, on 05 August 2015 - 03:37 AM, said:

I used a stormcrow back in mechwarrior 2 days and the roleplaying game this is why i've gone the stormcrow and picked clan.

28 games was just one afternoon, i don't see why with such a limited playing i should invest in the game atm, when i've been told to get the stormcrow pack is either $55 a la carte or $180 for the wave 1 pack that gives it.

For $55 i can buy the Deadpool game on steam for full price plus have $15 spare, that's a lot of money for 1 chassis when compared to a complete full game and a discounted game.

IDK if i could recommend this to my steam buddies who haven't tried it yet at these prices.

compared to other free to play games this grind seems like it's over whelming where is i can grind in other games for the same time put in and achieved something, where is this i feel like i've been stung as i'm told i need 2 other storm crows as well to get past basic skills

Have to agree about grinding 3 variants of the same mech to unlock the efficiencies.It can be very offputting (especially if you are a new player and like clan mechs).
It is a pure time/cash sink that I think needs to go before the steam release.

Edited by Charronn, 05 August 2015 - 03:55 AM.

#15 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:58 AM

View PostTheCharlatan, on 05 August 2015 - 03:37 AM, said:

Posted Image

You are older than me. In my day grinding was something you did before having sex!

View PostTitannium, on 05 August 2015 - 03:27 AM, said:

Also the purchase price for Omnis should be for Inner Sphere Players anyway. Only way for us to have them is to win one or black market.

Clan Prices should be more reasonable for Clan players.

#16 LookUpGaming

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:05 AM

I recently started playing as well. I tried out some of my uncles mechs and found I liked the Hunchback 4G with AC20. I played the Thunderbolt Trial mech and the Banchee to get thru the cadet bonus. By the time I was thru I had purchased a Hunchback 4G and a Hunchback 4P and outfittied them with a little bigger engine (I used the STD 225 and swap them between those two mechs), got double heat sinks on both, and put 8 Medium Lasers on the 4P.

By the time I was done getting basics on those two mechs I had enough C-Bills to get the Hunchback 4J and double heat sinks on that. I still need to earn some money to get each their own engine, but by the time I had basics unlocked on all 3 and speed tweak on two of them I have earned a little over 5 million C Bills. I'm just going to play with the Hunchbacks as is for a bit and save up for something in the Heavy or Assault Class.

I do find the game a little difficult, especially in the group queue, but after going thru the tutorial and playing 5 or 10 games I felt I had a pretty good grasp on the basics and was getting match scores in the middle of the pack (sometimes near the top if I was good with my AC20 :) )

I dont have a problem with the cadet bonus. You just have to be smarter with which mechs you purchase with it and have a plan. I may have been angry too if I went after a Clan mech. It could take forever to grind up C-bills for 3 of those.

But all in all I was happy with the new player experience and feel that I got good value from my cadet bonus.

Edited by LookUpGaming, 05 August 2015 - 04:07 AM.

#17 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:06 AM

Yeah the stormcrow is an expensive mech. All the clan ones(in black) are expensive. Innersphere mechs(green) are much more affordable. And really do all the same things and some even better

One thing the game doesn't do a good job of explaining to new players is clan vs. IS tech

Edited by Tennex, 05 August 2015 - 04:10 AM.

#18 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:13 AM

I explained in my previous posts whom friends inhave invited quitted the game shortly after they recieved cadet bonuses. Repetiteve, stale & dull matches, laserspam, rolls and doing no damage and get yelled at.
They could not believe that i swallow this game.

Then i proceed: "For the love of Bat...."

Posted Image

Uhmm.. Okay i guess. I tried to keep them motivated that when you need to keep playing untill you have basic/elite/master all three variants. Then outfit and customise away. Or pay about 50 bucks.

"THREE VARIANTS of the same mech??!? 50 bucks??!!"
- Yes, because it's suppose to be like Bat...
Posted Image

I gave up inviting friends over this game.

Really hope the New Player Experience will changed soon before launching on Steam or the sh#t storm will be astronomical huge.

#19 EightBitKnight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 164 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:13 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 05 August 2015 - 03:58 AM, said:

You are older than me. In my day grinding was something you did before having sex!

Also the purchase price for Omnis should be for Inner Sphere Players anyway. Only way for us to have them is to win one or black market.

Clan Prices should be more reasonable for Clan players.

I like the idea of the mech costing less depending on your loyalties, but that means it should be the same if your unaligned, which when you start you are.
I can understand the OP completely as when came here after playing mostly MW2 and MW2:Mercs. The Nova and Crab not being in the game (when I started) and having to at mechs that I was not used to/didn't like sucked. However the Raven quickly became one of my favourite mechs. Sometimes you have to give something outside your comfort zone a try until you can get back to it. I would sighted grind out the cbills for all three and then buy it or get some cheap IS mechs and use them.

#20 Unknown Friendly Fire

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:16 AM

View PostLookUpGaming, on 05 August 2015 - 04:05 AM, said:

I recently started playing as well. I tried out some of my uncles mechs and found I liked the Hunchback 4G with AC20. I played the Thunderbolt Trial mech and the Banchee to get thru the cadet bonus. By the time I was thru I had purchased a Hunchback 4G and a Hunchback 4P and outfittied them with a little bigger engine (I used the STD 225 and swap them between those two mechs), got double heat sinks on both, and put 8 Medium Lasers on the 4P.

By the time I was done getting basics on those two mechs I had enough C-Bills to get the Hunchback 4J and double heat sinks on that. I still need to earn some money to get each their own engine, but by the time I had basics unlocked on all 3 and speed tweak on two of them I have earned a little over 5 million C Bills. I'm just going to play with the Hunchbacks as is for a bit and save up for something in the Heavy or Assault Class.

I do find the game a little difficult, especially in the group queue, but after going thru the tutorial and playing 5 or 10 games I felt I had a pretty good grasp on the basics and was getting match scores in the middle of the pack (sometimes near the top if I was good with my AC20 :) )

I dont have a problem with the cadet bonus. You just have to be smarter with which mechs you purchase with it and have a plan. I may have been angry too if I went after a Clan mech. It could take forever to grind up C-bills for 3 of those.

But all in all I was happy with the new player experience and feel that I got good value from my cadet bonus.

I got 19k exp already on my stormcrow, so even when i can afford it, i'll be loading up on exp trying to save for the 2nd crow.

Match score and being ok, is fine, i find the game very easy to pick up, the issue is the grind and the cash, i earn the stats page says 78k a game, and for that new mech or module for the lrm counter seems a very long way off.

surely as a clan only player i should be able to get a clan medium by the time i end cadet training?

I'm not angry i'm just giving my point of view from my experience if doing so is considered being angry, maybe i should even come to the forums then.

Why would i want to buy an IS mech when i have no interest in them at all? clan pilots don't train in IS mechs they use clan mechs.

View PostTennex, on 05 August 2015 - 04:06 AM, said:

Yeah the stormcrow is an expensive mech. All the clan ones(in black) are expensive. Innersphere mechs(green) are much more affordable. And really do all the same things and some even better

One thing the game doesn't do a good job of explaining to new players is clan vs. IS tech

Coming from MW2 and battletech roleplaying i know the difference between clans and IS but i have no interest at all in IS. Being able to have both on the one account seems odd. An i won't be doing it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users