113 replies to this topic

#101 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:31 AM

The long and the short of this is that that OP is absolutely right.

A new player has a really bad experience in this game. The grind seems insurmountable at the start and I have been playing for 3 months and bought mastery packs. It is still a grind because I am now trying to get a clan drop deck, hell I'd pay for clan mastery packs.

With an MMORPG at a low level you have a story and a world to explore and the fact you're a low level means nothing because there is new an interesting stuff and every so often you go ping new level or find better loot.

This game is one team death match after another and nothing else. CW is just team death match with 4 lives.

The having to have 3 chassis is stupid and designed solely as a time sink.

C-bills are only there as a time gate. They might as well pay them as an hourly rate for game play because really that is what they are.

One way to make it better is to change the skill system completely and let you have multiple pilots. Because there is no distinction between been a clan pilot and an IS pilot it is just what you happen to pick for that match.

I know that people complain about "balance" etc but the fundamental truth of MWO is:

THE GAME PLAY IS SUPER FUN

It has to be fun because everything else is really just there as a time sink. There is no progress once a Mech is elited there is no reason to play that Mech again.

There is no levelling hook, no loot hook, no leader board hook, no cosmetic hook, no progression hook, no story hook, no quest hook, no variety of missions hook.

the only hook in this game is the actual game play. And by god it is good (not perfect but the only reason to play).

Yes it might take ages to get a new mech with c-bills and (for all I know) that might be the right thing. but they need something so between getting the mechs you feel you are making progress.

To make you go ok just one more match

Edited by Greyhart, 14 August 2015 - 01:35 AM.

#102 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:36 AM

I will say for the tenth time. Compared to other games Mechwarrior Online has no grind. Im not asking for grind to be added, but these statements about the grind are totally false.

Im not going to waste much time explaining that at the moment new players get 4 champion mechs to choose from to play or the rest.

The only realy grind I am aware in game at the moment is to get to top rank for a faction. That grind is brutal but maybe it should be since it doesnt actually effect game play at all.

#103 Hades Trooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationWillow Tree, NSW

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:43 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 14 August 2015 - 06:36 AM, said:

I will say for the tenth time. Compared to other games Mechwarrior Online has no grind. Im not asking for grind to be added, but these statements about the grind are totally false.

Im not going to waste much time explaining that at the moment new players get 4 champion mechs to choose from to play or the rest.

The only realy grind I am aware in game at the moment is to get to top rank for a faction. That grind is brutal but maybe it should be since it doesnt actually effect game play at all.

don't trial mechs get only 75% of winnings? how isn't that a grind?

#104 Hades Trooper

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:47 AM

View PostMadBadger, on 08 August 2015 - 10:16 AM, said:

I think your expectations are a bit high for 28 matches (call it 4 hours of game play).

In a MMORPG you'd be very low level with minimal gear.

In World of Tanks you'd be in a Tier 2, maybe 3 tank with low crew and low gear.

In MWO you seem to be expecting to be in a fairly high priced, top-rated mech after 4 hours of startup play...

how do you get to 4 hours of play? 28 games at 10 mins a game on average and then the wait in between it's more like 7 hours to me

7 hours of play isn't enough to expect to get your 1st mech? please go look again in the mirror and place yourself in the rookie boots instead of your own for once

Edited by Hades Trooper, 14 August 2015 - 06:47 AM.

#105 Hades Trooper

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:00 AM

View PostEightBitKnight, on 13 August 2015 - 08:07 PM, said:

Ok cool, your match earnings are still effected which would have helped that was all. Personally I don't think you should need that just to get into the game. The cadet bonus should be applied after more then just 28 games I think some one suggested 50? That sounds better. PGI is supposed be adding a tutorial which should help. I don't mean to come off rough but the longer this game is out the more I see people complain that they need to grind in a FTP game that you spent zero dollars for and only played for a few hours, of course you shouldn't be able to compare to those who've played for months or years. You should be put into a que with others who are starting out so you can all learn together.

with the constant editing of your posts idk which i'm responding too or how u wiull change you stance when you feel that your position isn't tendable anymore.

What exactly are you saying, the constant editing and such i'm confused if your for or against the OP pov which they gave there experience after 28 games.

no matter how you feel, itsa there pov and thats how they will share there experience for this game with friends which causes me concern if more people are going away form this with a negative experiene than positive.

I've such over $485 Us in this game and i'm am very worried this is gonna be a slop[ on steam when my bllod bowl mates are making a drama queen over the blood bowl 2 edition being $50 up front and then $5 per dlc for each of the non 8 starting teams and there is 24 total and u want people to spend $30 on just 1 chassis?

People yes there are whales willing to spend $$$$ upon $$$$$ on this game but if we loss the FTP who exactly are these whales going to fight against?

I know after the bad experience with wave 2 and wave 3 with the nerf to ECM coming after PGI sold us on 2 ECM clans mechs, i being a closed beta player for many years am starting to ask is this just a cash grab? surely PGI had the ecm nerf on the books but they pushed the ecm mechs to buy now and then 5 days before giving us what we paid for announce a ECM nerf incoming.

If that isn't a cash grab then idk what is.

Sorry PGI but as a closed beta supporters who's stuck with you for 3.5 years and the IGP debacle where yopu blamed them for almost everything after a few tonwhalls, i can';t see this being nothing more than cash grab so boost sales when you knew an ecm nerf was coming but you wanted the money too kuch than be honest that you planned to reduced ECM effectioveness thus reduce the base value of these ECM mechs you sold us.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, you won't be fooling me again,

WALLET CLOSED.

#106 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:21 AM

I will say for the tenth time. Compared to other games Mechwarrior Online has no grind. Im not asking for grind to be added, but these statements about the grind are totally false.Im not going to waste much time explaining that at the moment new players get 4 champion mechs to choose from to play or the rest.The only realy grind I am aware in game at the moment is to get to top rank for a faction. That grind is brutal but maybe it should be since it doesnt actually effect game play at all.

You can keep spewing this garbage all you want. You are clearly wrong.

MWO has some of the worst grind and worst new player experience of any F2P game I have ever played. And most new players and non-blind fanboys agree.

#107 Vahnn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 357 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationFargo

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:34 AM

The game is free, so having to grind a little to buy/unlock stuff is a given. MWO is known for the grind to be a little harsher than, say, League of Legends, because not only do you need to buy the chassis in its default configuration, you also need to purchase the new weapons and parts to experiment with and optimally fit the mech, you need to grind the mech xp to drop into the skill "tree" (lol), and you need to grind the gxp (at a rate of 5% of mech xp... is that number still accurate?) in order to merely be able to equip any relevant modules for it (which in turn cost even more c-bills to purchase). Oh yeah... You also need to buy 2 more of the mech's other variants so you can access the Elite skills and eventually the Master skill to unlock the final Module slot.

So yeah, it's pretty grindy.

Most of us started there. I know I had about 200 games under my belt before I decided it would be worth it to purchase premium time, and then I started to entertain the idea and look into it. Consider the following:

The average MMO with a subscription fee will cost you $15 USD a month if you buy one month at a time, often as low as $12 a month if you buy 6 months at a time. Ignoring the leftover MC after purchasing Premium time, if I recall correctly, you can buy premium time for a cost of about $10/mo if you buy 6 months at a time, or $8.70 if you buy 1 year at a time. And it gets even better: there are often discounts on MC so you can buy more MC per dollar, further reducing the per month cost of your Premium time. In addition to this, there are almost constantly sales on various mechs, modules, and mech bays, and once in a while there are sales on Premium time. If you're patient and look for the deals, you can get Premium time for extremely low cost.

So you can buy 360 days of Premium time and activate that time in 30-day chunks via the website (activating in game I think will activate all of it at once, not the best idea) so you can keep a lot of that time banked for the inevitable breaks and vacations you take from playing. Really not too bad an investment.

On top of all that, there are frequent events that run from Friday through midday Tuesday that allow you to get free consumables, xp, cosmetic items, c-bills, and sometimes whole mechs.

But again, yeah, I agree with you that the basic new player experience is a tough one. Make sure to check out the site and watch for the events and sales taking place to help you out!

#108 Vahnn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 357 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationFargo

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:38 AM

Also a Hero mech is not a bad investment. Do some research and look at the meta/popular builds for them. That 30% c-bill boost on top of Premium time is really hard to beat. getting 250,000-400,000 c-bills per game is the norm in my Yen-Lo Wang and Pretty Baby. And again, there are often sales on Hero mechs, so you can get them for a relatively low price!

#109 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:42 AM

View PostUnknown Friendly Fire, on 05 August 2015 - 03:14 AM, said:

So this cadet bonus is kinda low it feels.

I used the stormcrow for all matches as per recommendations from friends and after 28 games i can't even buy the trial mech i've been driving.

10.6 mill after 28 games and the mech costs 11.2 mill. This doesn't allow for changing any weapons and heaven forbids the radar derpvation module that i'd really like as those lrms seem to wreck me good atm.

20k exp banked on the stormcrow C but can't even spent any exp to get some skills on it either till i can buy it.

So without any premium time or a mech with 30% c-bill bonus, thus really feels like a big big grind i'm not sure if this is really the experience that the devs want for a new pilot but it's the one i've had.

i will take this moment to welcome you to MWO, it is a highly polished game with lots of depth, content and an excellent new player experience in order to retain new players to add to the thousands of current active players!.......... lol?

#110 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:55 AM

Only if you're comparing this grind to stuff from Gaijin & Wargaming, then it's maybe roughly equivalent.

Otherwise, it's borderline intolerably & interminally long. The majority of people, honestly, do not have the time.

I feel like it would alot more tolerable with some PvE or Solaris content, though - if people want to be hardcore and go the distance to have a full stable pokemon collection of 'Mechs & dominate CW, great; if people don't have the time and would prefer to enjoy just shooting some 'Mechs or some light competition with their favored 'Mech, also great.

The problem is we don't have much else to do right now besides the solo queue grind, sometimes the group qeue, and, in rare spats, CW.

Edited by Telmasa, 14 August 2015 - 09:58 AM.

#111 EightBitKnight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 164 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:57 PM

New player experience sucks. You should not be able to buy every mech righty off the bat. Clear enough?

Sorry I have edit I type on a phone at work auto correct can be a b***** and i can't always catch it before breaks done.

#112 TwentyOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 477 posts
  • LocationI pay more to use less water. Cali.

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:58 PM

This game needs a FORCED tutorial, like hawken. Im tired of whiney ******* quitting MWO because they died 2 games in a row for charging the enemy with a myst linx.

#113 Deathpactt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:43 AM

I wonder what you are smoking.

View Postmogs01gt, on 14 August 2015 - 07:21 AM, said:

You can keep spewing this garbage all you want. You are clearly wrong.

MWO has some of the worst grind and worst new player experience of any F2P game I have ever played. And most new players and non-blind fanboys agree.

I am a hardcore gamer and this game has the worst NPE ever.
If F2P players gone, we will probably lose a good amount of our already small playerbase.

#114 Hades Trooper

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:08 AM

View PostVahnn, on 14 August 2015 - 07:34 AM, said:

So you can buy 360 days of Premium time and activate that time in 30-day chunks via the website (activating in game I think will activate all of it at once, not the best idea) so you can keep a lot of that time banked for the inevitable breaks and vacations you take from playing. Really not too bad an investment.

On top of all that, there are frequent events that run from Friday through midday Tuesday that allow you to get free consumables, xp, cosmetic items, c-bills, and sometimes whole mechs.

I'm gonna have to pull you up on that one, only time you can bank is one from packs, any you buy through sales etc is activated straight away. Yes i know this for fact we had a person on our TS buy a year of prem time in the last sale and it start as soon as he bought it.

ONLY time you get from buying packs can be activated at 30 days at a time and banked.

the events, the free consumables are junk, there MC ones so once those you have run out it's a sly way for people to spend MC with the auto refill that doesn't inform you that your spending MC at the end of each match once the freebies are gone, so thats a scam.

View PostVahnn, on 14 August 2015 - 07:38 AM, said:

Also a Hero mech is not a bad investment. Do some research and look at the meta/popular builds for them. That 30% c-bill boost on top of Premium time is really hard to beat. getting 250,000-400,000 c-bills per game is the norm in my Yen-Lo Wang and Pretty Baby. And again, there are often sales on Hero mechs, so you can get them for a relatively low price!

So yet another person who forgets the OP said he wants to ONLY player clans, so no Hero mechs, only way to get a 30% clan mech is from a pack and thats if you buy each tier, so as already said, ti get the stormcrow pack the OP would have to spend $55 for a la carte or $150 to get a high enough tier.

NOT GOOD.

View PostTwentyOne, on 14 August 2015 - 07:58 PM, said:

This game needs a FORCED tutorial, like hawken. Im tired of whiney ******* quitting MWO because they died 2 games in a row for charging the enemy with a myst linx.

Who are you talking too? I think if you bothered to read the thread you will see the OP said when one person said prove your worth that in 28 games that had 24 kills and only died 18 times so obviously you know nothing and feel the need to complain.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users