• 133 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:31 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 05 August 2015 - 03:22 AM, said:

As a Clanner you should have to fight a Trial of Position
0-1 Kill: Light Omni
2 Kills: Medium
3 Kills: Heavy
4 Kills: Assault

2-4 Kills can choose any Omni below their win if they so desire.

THIS

#82 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:57 AM

For the OP, I completely agree with you. The economy might be fine for long time players who have little idea, but for new players it's brutal. For all those saying "get IS mechs" or "forget roleplaying", role playing is a perfectly acceptable style of playing this game, and is supposed to be part of the reason for CW.

First off the cadet bonus should be doubled and extended to 50 games. Second we absolutely need PVE and possibly co-op PVE missions. Third anyone under a cadet bonus should get preferred matchmaking where they normally only face other people under the cadet bonus, people in trial mechs, or people in the lowest elo bracket. We need better availability of information to new players (I.e. in game).

For the OP 1). Look at possibly buying one week worth of premium time (PGI should look at making the minimum time 3days)
2). Find a group that's into roleplaying and try dropping with them for a bit (feel free to look us up on Strana Mechty teamspeak Smoke Adders) dropping with people you can count on and speak to will help your earnings. 3). Don't expect to fill out your stable in a short time, treat this more as a marathon than a mile race. 4). If you wind up liking the game spend some rl money and get a mech with a c-bill bonus, mixing this in with occasional premium time will really boost your earnings. 5). You might want stay away from CW until you have a fully mastered dropdeck, because that's what you'll be facing, but if you want to try it feel free.

GL with the game.

#83 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:29 AM

I sympathize with people starting out as Clan players. I remember the grind when the game came out. Wasn't much of a grind unless you were trying for an Atlas. Then more assaults and heavies started to fill out the game. But after a while it didn't seem so bad. Then they decided people were earning too much. They came out and said that. And sure maybe the guys who play for 6 hours a day probably are mucho big buck C-billionaires. But for the rest of us it was a huge increase in grind. With the cost of Clan mechs. It's really ridiculous. I don't think they should be the same price as IS mechs. But if they intend to balance Clans to IS. They should at least come down a little on the cost of some things. I wouldn't even consider paying $55 for 3 mechs a la carte. I'm toying with the notion of $30 for the Arctic Cheetah pack though.

You either play the grind or you pay your way to mechs.

Edited by MechaBattler, 08 August 2015 - 09:31 AM.

#84 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:16 AM

I think your expectations are a bit high for 28 matches (call it 4 hours of game play).

In a MMORPG you'd be very low level with minimal gear.

In World of Tanks you'd be in a Tier 2, maybe 3 tank with low crew and low gear.

In MWO you seem to be expecting to be in a fairly high priced, top-rated mech after 4 hours of startup play...

Edited by MadBadger, 08 August 2015 - 10:16 AM.

#85 AlexEss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:25 AM

Well UFF i fully understand where you come from when it comes to mech selection. I refuse to pilot Omnis (and might even refuse to pilot IIC) even in pug games.

As for your first crow, i think you just ended up with a bit of bad luck.. you where pocketchange from getting it and a few more rounds in a trial mech should sourt that out.

Beyond that... It is a grind, and it is going to be a pain. But find some nice people to run with and it will be a lot less so. It will always be a grind though as the game is F2P and they need to keep the desire to spend money to make it easier aflame. That is how the game stays alive.

Also you do not NEED to elite all your mechs... Most of them do perfectly well without it.

#86 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:29 PM

I do think that the Cadet Bonuses should include a bit of premium time here or there, 1-3 day duration or whatever.

In my view, that'd go a long way to giving new players a taste, not to mention easing up the initial "grindy" sensation.

#87 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:22 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 05 August 2015 - 03:22 AM, said:

As a Clanner you should have to fight a Trial of Position
0-1 Kill: Light Omni
2 Kills: Medium
3 Kills: Heavy
4 Kills: Assault

2-4 Kills can choose any Omni below their win if they so desire.

Do this after 25 games for every player, IS v IS mechs and Clan v Clan mechs. You keep one of the downed mechs of your choice (as long as you kill a mech that is)

#88 Hades Trooper

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationWillow Tree, NSW

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:47 PM

View PostEightBitKnight, on 06 August 2015 - 08:20 AM, said:

https://www.themitta...our-cadet-bonus

or

http://mwo.gamepedia.com/C-Bill

or

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/93523-premium-account-benefits/

please learn yours

1.never said you wanted an assult
2. In MWO they do. Always have and always will. http://metamechs.com...ists/clan-list/

The Crow is very powerful in MWO and so is set at a higher grind just like most of the top mechs, you want a good mech you pay for it.

I'm sorry you took offence to the truth. You are a rookie it not an insult, everyone starts out as one. Learn more about the game so maybe you understand why things are the way they are. Never said prove your worth to me or anyone you started wagging KDR around, not me i just ended it ;). Like I said before I hope you stick around, the game gets better as you play more.

I hate to be the bad guy but your statements are wrong,

the OP was right, Cadet bonus isn't effected by premium bonus

When i read the thread someone asked the OP to prove there worth so the only stats they seemed to have was on the website and u berated them for it.

Sounds like to me someone just wanted to lord over a rookie and tell them how wrong they are. I also agree mech's aren't priced as to there power in the game. It's there engine cost, chassi price and weapons and any upgrades.

Mechs the same weight with same upgrades and weapons cost the almost exactly the same regardless of chassis so your point is invalid.

#89 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:39 AM

There was a time, BEFORE Achievements, where Premium Time scaled with the Cadet Bonus.

Those days are long gone.

I like how back in those days, people were using that to justify "buying a hero mech" and Premium Time for a new player to get into the game.

Unfortunately, that was obviously stopped as consequence of the Achievements system.

#90 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:42 AM

If you want to sell people mechbays, lower the prices of mechs and people will buy more.

If you want to sell mechs lower the amount earned so people buy them instead of grinding.

If you want this game to stay alive you better figure out a way to work both angles.

#91 Hades Trooper

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:58 PM

View PostXetelian, on 13 August 2015 - 10:42 AM, said:

If you want to sell people mechbays, lower the prices of mechs and people will buy more.

If you want to sell mechs lower the amount earned so people buy them instead of grinding.

If you want this game to stay alive you better figure out a way to work both angles.

i'm gonna have to disagree with you on that. surely to get people into the game they can expect to get 1 mech from cadet bonus before having to grind considering that the typical average pilot is going to earn almost 0k from a match as they stumble around learning the game vs sharks?

#92 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:45 PM

Ya the game is just better when you spend some cash on it. I've spent thousands and I LOVe MWO, if you don't spend any money you might have a hard grind ahead...

#93 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:56 PM

View PostUnknown Friendly Fire, on 05 August 2015 - 03:14 AM, said:

So this cadet bonus is kinda low it feels.

I used the stormcrow for all matches as per recommendations from friends and after 28 games i can't even buy the trial mech i've been driving.

10.6 mill after 28 games and the mech costs 11.2 mill. This doesn't allow for changing any weapons and heaven forbids the radar derpvation module that i'd really like as those lrms seem to wreck me good atm.

20k exp banked on the stormcrow C but can't even spent any exp to get some skills on it either till i can buy it.

So without any premium time or a mech with 30% c-bill bonus, thus really feels like a big big grind i'm not sure if this is really the experience that the devs want for a new pilot but it's the one i've had.

I d suggest you to stick with tripple a games. You have to pay once 50 bucks and enjoy a nice game where as mwo is for the hardcorz. This is extremly grind intense/or very expensive minimal viable game. If you dont care about Bt and mw that much screw this id say. You wont miss much

I see you are already experiencing the hardcorz. May i ask you about your impression of this cummunity so far?

Edited by ThisMachineKillsFascists, 13 August 2015 - 03:08 PM.

#94 Hades Trooper

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:16 PM

View PostDONTOR, on 13 August 2015 - 02:45 PM, said:

Ya the game is just better when you spend some cash on it. I've spent thousands and I LOVe MWO, if you don't spend any money you might have a hard grind ahead...

An how do we encourage these players to spend this cash?

I love MWO also and a registered mech junkie on the national addict registry but how do we get new players in without this addiction to spend big dollars?

We had a new bloke come play with us who was a younger brother of 1 player, he was 25 and he enjoyed it a lot, he got in when that stormcrow sale event was on after the variable discount event had been the week end before and he only managed to get 2 crows in a weeks play with cadet bonus, 45% discount and a group of experienced players helping him ride there coat tails.

3 months later he gave up and said it was just to grindy and for the cash, he had other things squeezing his wallet than try catch us with our 100 mechs already.

These days when he feels like a game which is rare he'd rather use his brothers account. Go figure.

Edited by Hades Trooper, 13 August 2015 - 03:17 PM.

#95 EightBitKnight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 164 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:50 PM

I never said the cadet bonus was effected at all I said your winnings as in your match winnings.

#96 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:10 PM

View PostEightBitKnight, on 13 August 2015 - 05:50 PM, said:

I never said the cadet bonus was effected at all I said your winnings as in your match winnings.

I don't think you understand.

The Cadet bonus USED to fall under match winnings (meaning it can be influenced by Premium Time and hero mech bonuses) UNTIL the creation of Achievements.

That's what not so obvious.

Edited by Deathlike, 13 August 2015 - 06:10 PM.

#97 EightBitKnight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 164 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:07 PM

Ok cool, your match earnings are still effected which would have helped that was all. Personally I don't think you should need that just to get into the game. The cadet bonus should be applied after more then just 28 games I think some one suggested 50? That sounds better. PGI is supposed be adding a tutorial which should help. I don't mean to come off rough but the longer this game is out the more I see people complain that they need to grind in a FTP game that you spent zero dollars for and only played for a few hours, of course you shouldn't be able to compare to those who've played for months or years. You should be put into a que with others who are starting out so you can all learn together.

Edited by EightBitKnight, 13 August 2015 - 08:15 PM.

#98 Xultan

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 27 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSouthern California, CA

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:14 PM

Also a hidden gem, when you download the game from http://mwomercs.com/download click on download and in the center of that page there is a redeem FREE 24HR premium time image.

Looks like this Posted Image

Edited by Xultan, 13 August 2015 - 08:28 PM.

#99 Hades Trooper

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:40 PM

View PostEightBitKnight, on 13 August 2015 - 08:07 PM, said:

Ok cool, your match earnings are still effected which would have helped that was all. Personally I don't think you should need that just to get into the game. The cadet bonus should be applied after more then just 28 games I think some one suggested 50? That sounds better. PGI is supposed be adding a tutorial which should help. I don't mean to come off rough but the longer this game is out the more I see people complain that they need to grind in a FTP game that you spent zero dollars for and only played for a few hours, of course you shouldn't be able to compare to those who've played for months or years. You should be put into a que with others who are starting out so you can all learn together.

The thing i think your missing is that the game needs a hook to get people into it and pushing people away saying there complaining is only coming across as being arrogrant.

Once they have a mech or 2 then sure let the FTP grind begin but how can you seriously say to a new player just put in 30 hours of play to get your 1st 3 mechs and then you got another same grind and more for other chassis.

As once they get into then you hope they spend money, not up front, paying up front is a thing of the past, people need enough time to make it feel to them that it's worth investing is what i'm trying to get across.

This was the experience my unit had with there new rare recruit in the younger brothers of one of our units regulars

#100 Bleary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 365 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:23 AM

The c-bill economy would be reasonable if you were not forced to buy three 'Mechs for every one you actually wanted. Beyond tripling the upfront cost, you also have to decide between sinking even more money into upgrading 'Mechs you don't plan to keep or painstakingly trudging up the skill tree in a stock chassis.

I can say without hesitation that this asinine system has kept me from spending more money and time on this game. There are several 'Mechs I would like to buy (with bills and MC both) but never will, because in order to unlock them I would have to muck around two other 'Mechs I've no interest in.

Edited by Bleary, 14 August 2015 - 12:23 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users