• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:37 AM

View PostNik Reaper, on 07 August 2015 - 05:29 AM, said:

Ah sorry, I misspoke, I meant long range laser vomit X) .
I get confused when a mech does ~35+ dmg alphas at long ranges I start thinking about it as a sniper :) .

If it doesn't kill in a single shot at those long ranges it ain't a Sniper. ;)

#62 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:43 AM

View PostNik Reaper, on 07 August 2015 - 04:58 AM, said:

Or at worst you have me ,a long range sniper, doing work and always looking at the skys shooting 3~4 uav's per game as soon as they launch... so no they don't automaticly pay for them selfs , only in the middle of a brawl or when the pugs don't look up but ask why the rain is hitting them.

Sorry. I blundered and gave points to people for having at least some understanding of how the equipment works. Yes you might do that the first time you enter a game with UAV. Provided you aren't a jelly fish you will hold all the next ones until they can be used when they pay themselves off.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 07 August 2015 - 05:17 AM, said:

But you aren't supposed to be a sniper! The masses have spoke you are a drain on their resources!

(i feel your pain, just needed to vent my sarcasm!)

You are SECURING their kills. They don't like that. The seem to think that SECURING a kill before a retreat is STEALING it. When they don't have to absorb yet another alpha when it peaks back out...*facepalm*

Edited by Lugh, 07 August 2015 - 05:49 AM.

#63 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:52 AM

Wait, someone who started the game a week ago believes that he should have everything for a mastered dropdeck for endgame content?

If a game did that it would get boring very quickly.

#64 MechWarrior5152251

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:03 AM

It is pay to win, but nothing like the OP thinks. You can pay for an Arctic Cheetah to win, assuming you know how to play a light. Once its available for C-bills it will be nerfed to be fair. So PGI has created a temporary Pay To Win game. Same thing with the Timberwolf and SCR, though they let those go for 6 months for C-Bills before they were nerfed to a fair level.

#65 Moomtazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 577 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:23 AM

View PostHotthedd, on 07 August 2015 - 05:52 AM, said:

Wait, someone who started the game a week ago believes that he should have everything for a mastered dropdeck for endgame content?

If a game did that it would get boring very quickly.

This isn't a RPG with leveling characters, getting gear, and exploring increasingly difficult dungeons or PvP battlegrounds.
Successful FPS games handle progression much differently because players do not want to grind forever just to compete.

Three successful FPS games:
1. Counterstrike: No progression at all. Aside from individual skill, players are on an equal level from day one.
2. Battlefield franchise: Staring load outs are effective but players can unlock better weapons and equipment over time. Some starting weapons are still used at "endgame" depending on personal preference.
3. CoD: Similar to BF

I played TT plus some Mechwarrior/Mechcommander. I also played alot of CS/BF/CoD over the years and many people here on the forum seem to think of the game as a MMORPG instead of a FPS.

A player coming to MWO is not going to want to grind for days, weeks, or months before they feel like they have the equipment to be competitive.

#66 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:41 AM

View PostMoomtazz, on 07 August 2015 - 06:23 AM, said:

This isn't a RPG with leveling characters, getting gear, and exploring increasingly difficult dungeons or PvP battlegrounds.
Successful FPS games handle progression much differently because players do not want to grind forever just to compete.

Three successful FPS games:
1. Counterstrike: No progression at all. Aside from individual skill, players are on an equal level from day one.
2. Battlefield franchise: Staring load outs are effective but players can unlock better weapons and equipment over time. Some starting weapons are still used at "endgame" depending on personal preference.
3. CoD: Similar to BF

I played TT plus some Mechwarrior/Mechcommander. I also played alot of CS/BF/CoD over the years and many people here on the forum seem to think of the game as a MMORPG instead of a FPS.

A player coming to MWO is not going to want to grind for days, weeks, or months before they feel like they have the equipment to be competitive.

You see, there are OTHER games that do exactly what you want. I don't think it is a good idea for a small company like PGI to try to directly compete with those games, because if they did they would: 1) Lose many of the people that they sold this game as a BattleTech sim, and 2) Lose those players who WANT games like CoD and Counterstrike to....CoD and Counterstrike.

#67 Moomtazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 577 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:54 AM

View PostHotthedd, on 07 August 2015 - 06:41 AM, said:

You see, there are OTHER games that do exactly what you want. I don't think it is a good idea for a small company like PGI to try to directly compete with those games, because if they did they would: 1) Lose many of the people that they sold this game as a BattleTech sim, and 2) Lose those players who WANT games like CoD and Counterstrike to....CoD and Counterstrike.

Well I am talking about the way progression is handled rather than the actual game play. I understand that CoD/BF/CS get alot of hate for the "kiddies" and such. None of those games have the Battletech universe, so I think MWO would be fine with their progression style.

What elements do you feel currently make MWO a "sim" style game, and what elements do you think should be added to make it a sim?

Quite frankly the game is a typical FPS and has no more depth than the staples of Team Deathmatch (Skirmish), Team Domination (Conquest), TDM+Bases (Assault), and TDM with 4 respawns (CW). Those game modes have been around for years and any potential new players will be familiar with them if they have any FPS experience. However the current grind in MWO seems too long for this style of game.

MMORPGs like WoW, Dark Age of Camelot, and Guild Wars 2 typically require log grinds to participate in the end game PvP, but they also have PvE content to accomplish the leveling.

MWO seems to combine the grind of a MMORPG with the limited game modes of a FPS. Players can blow a wad of time, cash, or both on a mech chasis that may not fit them like they thought it would and are faced with more grind to try another mech. Granted the Champions as trials should help with that.

I think MWO would be great if it could do something along the lines of Planetside. 3 or 4 large persistent worlds where armies on each side are flexible. You may have a huge unit of 300 fighting multiple smaller units that are working together. Of course I think all that is beyond the scope of PGI.

#68 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts
  • LocationI have no idea, they keep resetting CW map

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:01 AM

View PostTarogato, on 06 August 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

in WoT, etc, you're stuck grinding through each tier to get to the top, and some of the tanks/ships you go through are absolutely terrible (see M3 Lee, USS Colorado... )

Crapachi, don't forget the crapachi... almost killed {Capellan} BB tree for me

View PostHaakon Magnusson, on 07 August 2015 - 07:59 AM, said:

Crapachi, don't forget the crapachi... almost killed {Capellan} BB tree for me

Really, Capellan is Japanese.. !

Edited by Haakon Magnusson, 07 August 2015 - 08:01 AM.

#69 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:06 AM

Oh I think MW:O is a far cry from the sim that we were promised, but any movement towards a sim and away from an arcade game gets my support.

A PvE campaign for new players would be HUGE. They could earn some C-bills and learn the game.

The game modes are stale, agreed. If you want arenas like the small maps we have now, just call it Solaris and have solo and different team sizes. Make CW a progressive battle on huge battlefields, bring back R&R, get rid of mid-battle respawns, have planets mean something, the list goes on.

#70 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:17 AM

If you get premium time it will take some of the edge off. Especially on losses. You'll also skill mechs out faster. Combine that with a hero mech and you can be earning as much as 200k+ on a good match. This best thing you can do is get good at the game.

Sometimes I'll buy a la carte or one of the low end packs. So that I can enjoy playing and skilling out the mechs and ignore how many c-bills I'm getting. By the time I'm done. I have enough C-bills to get a different mech with c-bills.

If you wanna play the game casually. You're probably going to want to spend money to speed up the process of collecting mechs.

#71 9thDeathscream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 563 posts
  • LocationDown Under. 260 pinging.

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:25 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 07 August 2015 - 08:17 AM, said:

If you get premium time it will take some of the edge off. Especially on losses. You'll also skill mechs out faster. Combine that with a hero mech and you can be earning as much as 200k+ on a good match. This best thing you can do is get good at the game.

Sometimes I'll buy a la carte or one of the low end packs. So that I can enjoy playing and skilling out the mechs and ignore how many c-bills I'm getting. By the time I'm done. I have enough C-bills to get a different mech with c-bills.

If you wanna play the game casually. You're probably going to want to spend money to speed up the process of collecting mechs.

U rekon premium time helps take the edge off on losses?

get a string of these and no one will stay!

Posted Image

#72 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:30 AM

View PostAkulla1980, on 07 August 2015 - 08:25 AM, said:

U rekon premium time helps take the edge off on losses?

get a string of these and no one will stay!

Posted Image

I made less than that during the Great Depression and I'm still here. :huh:

#73 9thDeathscream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 563 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:33 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 07 August 2015 - 08:30 AM, said:

I made less than that during the Great Depression and I'm still here. :huh:

Yeah but that's us! not someone checking it out from steam. Big difference!!!!

#74 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:35 AM

View PostAkulla1980, on 07 August 2015 - 08:33 AM, said:

At some point, we all had to check it out. Some of us enjoy it and others don't. It's no different for any other game really.

#75 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:36 AM

View PostAkulla1980, on 07 August 2015 - 08:33 AM, said:

If they expect amazing gains for pathetic performance I don't want Steam users. Sorry if that was your screen shot, but that was an awful performance and if I did that badly, I would be down on myself not the game cause... I sucked.

#76 9thDeathscream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 563 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:50 AM

Was a piss poor performance but the entire team fell over almost instantly. (BTW was my screenie and yep i had a shocker.) Im sure you have had just as bad on a few occasions. This is not the norm for me. Just an example I am using!

You have a MM that punishes you for too many wins.

Then you have no where to train new pilots. (private matches no counted as need to pay)

Then you get crap rewards if you loose due to circumstances out of your control.

So old player base withers away. No new ones coming in due to GRIND and POOR NEW PLAYER EXPERIENCE.

The only players here now are the ones who love the universe. A hell of a lot of people i know who liked this game gave it up for above reasons.

So the question is how long do you wan't to keep playing for???

Edited by Akulla1980, 07 August 2015 - 08:50 AM.

#77 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:52 AM

View PostAkulla1980, on 07 August 2015 - 08:50 AM, said:

Was a piss poor performance but the entire team fell over almost instantly. (BTW was my screenie and yep i had a shocker.) Im sure you have had just as bad on a few occasions. This is not the norm for me. Just an example I am using!

You have a MM that punishes you for too many wins.

Then you have no where to train new pilots. (private matches no counted as need to pay)

Then you get crap rewards if you loose due to circumstances out of your control.

So old player base withers away. No new ones coming in due to GRIND and POOR NEW PLAYER EXPERIENCE.

The only players here now are the ones who love the universe. A hell of a lot of people i know who liked this game gave it up for above reasons.

So the question is how long do you wan't to keep playing for???

The Matchmaker does no such thing. Rather normal attrition is the cause and some folks just don't want to believe the numbers game.

#78 9thDeathscream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 563 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:00 AM

Really. So MM loads up 6 founders with various unit tags on one side and a few CW tags.

Few Dires a Timber and a Crow + assorted tier 1 and 2 mechs.

VS

1 founder maybe 2 or 3 lone wolfs with unit tags and the rest with no tags or affiliations.

Couple of trial Victors and maybe a Tbolt with a few tier 3 mechs.

Lol believe what you wan't i seen it and so have others.

MM predicts losses before drops.

Edited by Akulla1980, 07 August 2015 - 09:01 AM.

#79 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:08 AM

View PostAkulla1980, on 07 August 2015 - 09:00 AM, said:

MM predicts losses before drops.

Elo calculates the chance to win or lose for each drop.
Therefore MM does not worry too much about evenly skilled teams.

#80 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:13 AM

View PostHotthedd, on 07 August 2015 - 09:08 AM, said:

Elo calculates the chance to win or lose for each drop.
Therefore MM does not worry too much about evenly skilled teams.

I'm pretty sure ELO is at odds with trying to give people 50/50 win/loss ratios.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users