84 replies to this topic

#41 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:16 PM

View PostShredhead, on 11 August 2015 - 10:38 AM, said:

I definitely don't miss the graphics from back then, they were horrible and bug ridden. It was a day of jubilation when we could finally turn off blur and film grain in the ini file.

Mostly I miss collisions and my beloved Awesomes with head flamersTM running 80+ km/h. And convergence.

Lol film grain and Depth of field are traded against high poly maps, way less vegitation, crippled texture resolutions on all IS mechs and maps, significantly lower viewing range, less particle effects

and the worst of all

YOU CANT EVEN ADJUST THESE

#42 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:18 PM

I would quit complaining about the graphical fidelity of MWO - TODAY!! - if they just gave us IKs back.

#43 Trev Firestorm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:51 PM

These I miss severely: Collisions/knockdowns, original mech skins (Hunchies were much sexier then, Atlas menacing eyes, etc.), 8v8, No Ghost Heat, Thermal vision that made sense (I'm fine with black and white IR, but what we have is extremely poorly adjusted... As a former UAV/UAS operator the current IR mode is seriously infuriating)

Also would like the Artemis LRM drill from when it was first introduced for reasons.

http://mwomercs.com/...b-screenshot-17
http://mwomercs.com/...a-screenshot-02
http://mwomercs.com/...ly-screenshot-3

Edited by Trev Firestorm, 11 August 2015 - 12:52 PM.

#44 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:53 PM

View PostRhaythe, on 11 August 2015 - 12:18 PM, said:

I would quit complaining about the graphical fidelity of MWO - TODAY!! - if they just gave us IKs back.

IKs?

#45 Master Pain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:18 PM

i miss IS vs IS the most.

IKs = Inverse Kinematics. Basically the feet and legs use to actually bend to stand on uneven ground, now they just clip through the ground.

#46 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:19 PM

you know what I miss from closed beta.

3 things

1. The 4 fav mech quick select thingy

2. Having a Awesome with 4 streak2s that was king of river city

3. Having circle fights to the death with other light mechs especially with those wonky streaks you could out turn.

#47 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:48 PM

View PostLugh, on 11 August 2015 - 12:53 PM, said:

IKs?

Inverse Kinetics. Ever see an Atlas's feet hover in mid-air when he's standing on a slopped surface? That's a lack of IKs.

This is perhaps the best example. The game used to look like this:

Posted Image

#48 Shredhead

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:36 PM

View PostIqfish, on 11 August 2015 - 12:16 PM, said:

Lol film grain and Depth of field are traded against high poly maps, way less vegitation, crippled texture resolutions on all IS mechs and maps, significantly lower viewing range, less particle effects

and the worst of all

YOU CANT EVEN ADJUST THESE

I didn't say it's better now, though River City looks damn fine after the overhaul.

#49 Karamarka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 809 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:57 PM

The graphics, the anti aliasing is very bad now.

#50 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:06 PM

View PostShredhead, on 11 August 2015 - 02:36 PM, said:

I didn't say it's better now, though River City looks damn fine after the overhaul.

It looks better yes. But it looked good before. Then they removed many assets to bump the performance to make this game "E-Sport compatible", now they realize a Mechwarrior game will never be an e-sport and they make lots of effort to put the assets back in

#51 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:01 PM

I miss a few things.
  • Inverse Kinematics. It just looked... right. I hope it makes it back in future.
  • Damage textures. They were far and away better than the generic stuff we have now.
  • TTK. You could survive a mistake in CB.
  • Uncapped engines. I understand why they were removed, and I completely agree with it. I just really miss my XL400 bajillion MPL Awesome :)
Things I DON'T miss:
  • ICBM LRM's. The ones that had the near vertical flightpath, and could ruin your day in just about any cover short of a skyscraper.
  • The SRM apocalypse. Rolling a 5 SRM6 Stalker or 6 SRM6 Whale-a-pault was fantastic fun, but it sucked to be on the receiving end of.
  • DRAGON BOWLING. Oh good lord. Perma knockdown has no place in any game!
  • Knockdowns... The concept is great. In practice... it was pretty frustrating.

#52 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:18 PM

1. The catapult K2 before everything. The BIG ppc barrels and not those stick like things on the arms. The two extra laser points it had. The torso twisy it could go almost owl and look directly behind itself.

2. Role warfare in its earliest form. Jenners did scout telling in text where in what grid was mech(s) type. Those scouts are long gone to better games where their imput is more usefull and rewarded.

3. Team game play. You could suggest the team go through the c2 tunnel and they would tunnel rush instead of all-meet-in-the-city.

4.Higher TTK. You could survive a lot longer. Matches would take almost the full fifteen minutes. No matches ended after six minutes. No dead jack azses going "you're wasting my time,go suicide." just because they died first or at the start of a match.

#53 Shredhead

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:55 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 11 August 2015 - 04:18 PM, said:

1. The catapult K2 before everything. The BIG ppc barrels and not those stick like things on the arms. The two extra laser points it had. The torso twisy it could go almost owl and look directly behind itself.

2. Role warfare in its earliest form. Jenners did scout telling in text where in what grid was mech(s) type. Those scouts are long gone to better games where their imput is more usefull and rewarded.

3. Team game play. You could suggest the team go through the c2 tunnel and they would tunnel rush instead of all-meet-in-the-city.

4.Higher TTK. You could survive a lot longer. Matches would take almost the full fifteen minutes. No matches ended after six minutes. No dead jack azses going "you're wasting my time,go suicide." just because they died first or at the start of a match.

1. I can agree, but the Catapult was always feeble and I never really cared about it.
2. People still do this, the behaviour is just gone from solo queue, because most team oriented players join(ed) units and play in groups.
3. Tactics have evolved. Tunnel rushes basically only worked on teams who didn't know how to play the game.
4. That's not even true. Our times were under 2 minutes usually against uncoordinated teams. You could basically just rush the enemy team in minute one while they still tried to find their pants or adjusted their steering wheels.
Yes, TTK has decreased, but for other reasons.

#54 Shredhead

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:00 PM

View PostIqfish, on 11 August 2015 - 03:06 PM, said:

It looks better yes. But it looked good before. Then they removed many assets to bump the performance to make this game "E-Sport compatible", now they realize a Mechwarrior game will never be an e-sport and they make lots of effort to put the assets back in

To be fair, most of the first assets were just buggy with way too many polys dragging down performance for no real gain. The game was badly optimized for most of its life time, and they've still a crapton of work to do in that regard. And it was never about e-sports, it was about getting as many players as possible to survive on the f2p market.
And it's not even a problem to offer good performance on low spec machines, it's the optimization for all the detail grades that counts.

#55 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:11 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 11 August 2015 - 04:01 PM, said:

[*]Damage textures. They were far and away better than the generic stuff we have now.

Do you happen to have a screenshot of those laying around? Or anybody else? I cant remember how they looked.

#56 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:23 PM

View PostIqfish, on 11 August 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

Do you happen to have a screenshot of those laying around? Or anybody else? I cant remember how they looked.

What we have now:

Posted Image

What we used to have:

Posted Image

Posted Image

There used to be other pictures of a Catapult about somewhere, that actually showed leg actuators and internals exposed and glinting in the sunlight. There were lots of great pics in the perfect screenshot thread, but most of lordred's older stuff doesn't appear to be hosted anymore.

So, each mech used to have it's own unique damage texture underneath the external paint texture. This would be revealed as the top texture was chipped away.

This was apparently quite expensive as far as game resources go, and was given the boot in favour of the generic texture we have now (which honestly looks as though mud has been flung...). I daresay that extra damage texture underneath added significant overhead to new mech production also.

I'd really love to see it return.

#57 Poisoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 440 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:38 PM

Damn free to play, can't you make it subscription based and still make money?

I don't see the potato crowd spending real money on a game when they won't even buy a new computer.

#58 xXBagheeraXx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:16 PM

Catapult Models and the really cool flight paths LRM's took.

#59 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:35 PM

DAMN, that atlas texture look. NO NO NO NO NO.

Edited by Titannium, 11 August 2015 - 11:36 PM.

#60 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:19 AM

Knockdown.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users