• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:36 PM

View PostPiney, on 17 August 2015 - 05:27 PM, said:

Most of us are not at the higher levels of play. So that disqualifies us from any balance discussions (like it matters here).....the unwashed masses?

I think even lower ranked players just might have some good input, but that would be ignored by the top dogs offhand.

We don't need that sort of exclusion here.

It disqualifies only in your imagination, the input is still there for debate and devs to read. Good views are always appreciated.

Of course there will be some epeen waving, but eh seriously, alot of people like to wave it anyways with or without public tiers so no real change there.

#102 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:36 PM

It's kind of humorous how everyone insists they are the ones doing the carrying. Obviously we can't all be carriers or else there would be no one to carry! :)

Edited by Jman5, 17 August 2015 - 05:36 PM.

#103 Piney II

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:37 PM

View Postugrakarma, on 17 August 2015 - 05:36 PM, said:

It disqualifies only in your imagination, the input is still there for debate and devs to read. Good views are always appreciated.

Of course there will be some epeen waving, but eh seriously, alot of people like to wave it anyways with or without public tiers so no real change there.

OK. I can agree with that. :D

#104 Kaspirikay

• Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:41 PM

oh boy i hope they add a nice icon like those in CSGO. what with the silvers, novas, AKs and Globals.

#105 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:58 PM

View Postugrakarma, on 17 August 2015 - 05:15 PM, said:

I'm not really that interested in epeen or waving it. I just want some quality to the balance discussions around here.

rofl yeah gl with that goal

View PostPiney, on 17 August 2015 - 05:27 PM, said:

Most of us are not at the higher levels of play. So that disqualifies us from any balance discussions (like it matters here).....the unwashed masses?

I think even lower ranked players just might have some good input, but that would be ignored by the top dogs offhand.

We don't need that sort of exclusion here.

Yeah that was for the now defunct 12 man que

...and it died for a reason

View PostDavers, on 17 August 2015 - 05:32 PM, said:

I'm not sure how big a difference this will make. It's still a team game, still 12v12. If people think their scores aren't totally affected by their teammates, they are dead wrong. But at least top players won't face new/bottom players anymore. Or at least until they add release valves because the top players can't find matches.

Yeah how ARE groups gonna work?

View PostLootee, on 17 August 2015 - 05:44 PM, said:

BTDT. Getting my money's worth watching this train wreck unfold on the forums.

I do both. Play and watch the trainwreck lol

jus not cw whoooo is that worse

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 17 August 2015 - 05:58 PM.

#106 Fleeb the Mad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 441 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:00 PM

Seems to me that the new players win the most out of this setup. People have been complaining about new players being thrown to the wolves for ages and finally there's some progress in that direction.

Personally though, I'd be willing to be your average player doesn't care one way or another. It's not like most people read the patch notes. The matchmaker's ideal goal was to put players in a pool of people with similar skills. This is a better plan. Good job. Let's go drink.

Though I wonder how many people who talk about gaming the system also pine about Elo Hell. Having to work at the game to maintain a rating for the sake of epeen is sort of anti-fun. In theory that sort of thing (along with stacking groups) is what got people into Elo Hell to begin with.

If people want to really game the system, they'll run lots of Catapults and...and Adders to tank their ratings so they kick ass when they wheel their meta mechs out, but won't use them constantly for fear of being moved up into a place where everyone always runs the meta and they'll get wrecked trying out new stuff. They'll play trash mechs on purpose! Frequently!

The horror! How did it come to this?

#107 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:00 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 17 August 2015 - 05:58 PM, said:

#108 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:05 PM

View Postugrakarma, on 17 August 2015 - 06:00 PM, said:

anyone got a more concise answer than the long rambling things that those usually are? Dont wanna wait an hour and a half to get the answer -.-

#109 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:06 PM

I'm glad their taking more variables into account for balancing matches.

WIN/LOSS only elo didn't cover the effect that the other 23 players had on the match.

#110 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:13 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 17 August 2015 - 05:58 PM, said:

Average PSR of the group.

#111 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:19 PM

View PostJman5, on 17 August 2015 - 05:36 PM, said:

It's kind of humorous how everyone insists they are the ones doing the carrying. Obviously we can't all be carriers or else there would be no one to carry! :)

No delusions of grandeur here!

I can but only occasionally carry in certain mechs....oddly one being a Spider V.

I think the pain of ELO Hell sets in once you REALIZE that your AVERAGE skills qualify you to do some carry-work.

The bar is indeed set so low.

#112 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:27 PM

View Postoneproduct, on 17 August 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

@IraqiWalker
(going to stop quoting posts, as they're getting too big now :) )

In your two examples of teams having mismatched skilled players, it's not the fault of the matchmaker, but of the limited population.

The matchmaker tries to (or should) limit Elo variance, so if possible, it will try to match 12 good vs 12 good. However, when that's not possible, it is better to have 12 average vs 6 good and 6 bad than to have 12 average vs 6 good and 6 average so at least you have some hope of somewhat evening things out. Even then, it won't (or shouldn't) try to pick people who are so dramatically different in rating. They had a post about the average variance between the top and bottom ranked players in matches. I believe for single queue it was below 50 and for group queue it was around 200, which is likely due to the fact that it can't split up groups to try to put an equal number of good players on each team.

LP is just the visible "currency" you get to track your progress between one bracket to the next. The amount of LP you gain is directly correlated to your MMR and the amount of MMR you gain or lose as the result of a match being won or loss. Here is the reference and a quote: http://leagueoflegen...i/League_system

LP and MMR uses the same basis as Elo. Again, the only difference I could find is that it compares your rating vs the average for your division rather than against the rating of people in your particular match.

About the arbitrary nature of match score, I will concede this: if you award the perfect amount of match score for each action based on the actual merit of that action, then it could work well. However, even at the moment, if both teams simply stood AFK next to each other for a long time at the start of the match, they would get a lot of "lance in formation" awards even though they aren't doing anything useful. However at some points, keeping lance formation is actually useful.

In the end, the problem is still flawed matches. Elo based matchmaking isn't working in MWO, and as such, we shouldn't stick with a broken model, because maybe, at some point, things might be different. Even with a bigger population, it seems this system will end up being better. Simply because it's more accurate at matching players.

Even with the rewards changing for specific actions, you're still only getting how much PSR adjusted. You're still going to get PSR, based on your performance. Instead of based on the random chance that your team won or didn't.

View PostGoose, on 17 August 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

I appalled to see how many people blame Elo for Teh Devs use of averaging and release valves

When we say Elo, we're talking about Elo matchmaking. So yes, while the system itself isn't flawed for matching 1v1 static games. It's application here is, and needs to be scrapped.

View PostInspectorG, on 17 August 2015 - 05:29 PM, said:

" Tier 5 being comprised of pilots who are in dire need of additional training. "

Oh my...many will be surprised to be relegated to this tier.

The Salt must flow.

Insert Dune joke here.

#113 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:33 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 17 August 2015 - 06:27 PM, said:

Insert Dune joke here.

Ahh... IraqiWalker is well read!

#114 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:50 PM

I'm worried this will uptick me to real competition. I should have sandbagged more :P

#115 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:57 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 17 August 2015 - 05:06 PM, said:

But Elo doesn't provide a 50/50 chance here. It pits a team with 12 average pilots, against a team with 6 god tier pilots, each worth at least 3 average players, and 6 crappy pilots. Technically, both teams have close enough Elo, possibly identical. Yet that match is not fair in the slightest, or even close to 50/50 I'd say it's a 90% chance the team with the 6 god tier pilots will win without breaking a sweat.

I don't see the problem here. One system only counted wins and losses, which for the overwhelming majority of the time, were outside of the player's control. It assigned you a score regardless of how good, or bad you were.

The other focuses on your own performance, to better place you in teams closer to you in performance. Allowing for a significantly better chance of getting that fabled 50/50 match.

MMR is a secondary formula, on top of LP. Other than the original announcement, and a few forum posts from the devs, they keep a tight lip on the inner workings of their ranking system. I'll see if I can find more information, but I highly doubt it.

I don't see that as arbitrarily defined. An action's importance is reflected in it's match score. If an action brings too little to make a difference, on the score, people will steer away from it, and the ones that give you a better match score become the ones focused on.

I also don't think PGI is made up of lobotomized techs. They added in more rewards geared towards helping light mechs, a weight class that has long suffered from craptastic rewards, despite all the risk taken. So it seems they know what they're doing. Even if it's not fully.

I highly doubt they would reward something silly with more match score than something that's actually important.

On the other hand, do remember their formula. You are not going to be doing any one thing in the match, and that's it. You match score is a combination of all actions you make. This means that even in what are realistically impossible conditions, you can still get a high match score, IF YOU ARE GOOD. Whereas Elo doesn't care, and will bump you up or down, regardless of your skill.

Elo was a system designed specifically for measuring skill, when it fails at doing that for a game, then it needs to be replaced. This is something that has been talked about in the industry for years now. Many games refrain from using Elo for this reason. Some either use a ladder system with their own scoring method, or no MM instead of using Elo.

How is Elo good, when it puts tier 5 players against tier 1 players, in the same match?

In this case, Elo score is very arbitrary, because winning and losing is about random luck, rather than player control. Which is anathema to Elo, a system designed for a game with absolute and rigid control over every single detail (chess).

If Elo did what you say above ...

"But Elo doesn't provide a 50/50 chance here. It pits a team with 12 average pilots, against a team with 6 god tier pilots, each worth at least 3 average players, and 6 crappy pilots."

.. then I would agree with you. But the problem is that it DOES NOT do this on a regular basis. Period.

Here is a post describing how the Elo matchmaker worked ... what it did and what it does not do based on comments in the forums from the developer who wrote the code.

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4349777

Anecdotally, my win/loss since the stat reset is almost exactly 50/50 at 487 wins and 490 losses. I don't TRY to get that .. it is simply a result of the matchmaker generally working in my case and on average dumping me in matches with a 50/50 chance to win. Of course some of those are stomps, both wins and losses, but that is usually due to TEAMWORK being better or folks being in the right place rather than a bunch of bad players or 12 average vs 6 gods.

The new system may be better, I certainly hope so. However, I think using the "match score" as the basis for rating players is fundamentally flawed since the mechs being used to generate these scores are comparable.

I see far more assaults and heavies with scores over 100 than I see light mechs. Does this mean that "tier 1" will have more players that use heavies or assaults over lights? Will they try to normalize the match score to exclude this factor? Then what happens when you compare performace of a locust to a firestarter? Or compare an awesome to a Dire wolf, or a 60 ton heavy to a timberwolf?

Is the pilot a higher tier if they get a higher score in a timberwolf than a locust or cicada or trebuchet? Or is it the mech? A player rating system MUST NOT include effects of the mech being used. It is supposed to represent ONLY the player skill for generating a balanced match.

Anyway, as I said I hope this new system works better but I am quite prepared to be sadly disappointed since PGI often implements things without thinking or caves to pressure from interest groups. I agree that Elo based on predicted win/loss for a team may not be perfect but this concept is at the basis of most player rating systems in team based online games. Why? This is because the ONLY common factor in every game you play in a randomized set of match conditions is YOU. Over time it is quite possible to work out mathematically what your average contribution to a match is based on the outcomes over many matches. Your contribution is represented by your Elo.

The new system appears to be more like an Elo system weighted by match score since in the example they cited in the patch notes, win/loss was still the primary factor in determining your change in rating ... the amount of the change was weighted by the match score so that even in a loss your Elo could still rise with an exceptional score.

Another aspect of the new system that they need to be careful with is that it MUST be conservative. This means that for everyone who gains a rank score someone loses it. If it doesn't have this feature then the overall ranks will rise over the long term and the system will be broken. (unfortunately, if I had to guess, I would say that PGI hasn't even considered this ...)

Edited by Mawai, 17 August 2015 - 07:01 PM.

#116 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:58 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 17 August 2015 - 06:27 PM, said:

When we say Elo, we're talking about Elo matchmaking. So yes, while the system itself isn't flawed for matching 1v1 static games. It's application here is, and needs to be scrapped.

Nate Silver called

#117 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:58 PM

Since it was asked for earlier, a minor write-up on why Elo's system doesn't work in MWO, or pretty much any game like it. Quoted from myself in another recent thread:

"Just a quick point here for the community in general. This is not directly at the quoted player, but the statement he made is indicative of a lack of understanding of Elo in the community at large.

First, "ELO" is properly written "Elo," as it named for its creator Arpad Elo. A person, not an acronym.

Getting that out of the way, the system is designed to calculate relative skills between single player versus player interactions in single-player competitions such as chess. In theory, it CAN be used to calculate team versus team relative skill scoring, but only when the composition of those teams is fixed from match to match. Even then, Elo is a poor system to use. As team composition becomes more and more complicated, the significance of individual performance on a team becomes such that individual gains or losses in performance can have unpredictable results on the outcome of a match. You could, for example, use Elo to measure the relative skill of baseball teams over the course of a season, as game to game their makeups are largely the same. However, it wouldn't be a very accurate measurement of skill, and its this reason why Elo is never really used in this way.

Elo absolutely CANNOT measure the individual skill of a player on a team. And it cannot be used to measure the relative skills of teams whose makeup from match to match change. Elo is not capable of distinguishing the performance of any player on a team from the performance of any other player, and thus has no way of knowing what level of contribution players make to their teams.

The basic concept behind Elo's system is to raise or lower your skill score based on your actual result (win-loss) from your expected result. Let's say you're rated at a 200 skill, and your opponent at 150. Based on skill, you're expected to win the match. Thus, if you win, it proves your relative skill assessment was "correct." You will not gain any points to your skill score, and the loser will not lose any, as it was expected he would lose (or possibly certain interpretations would reward you a small addition to score, and the other player a small loss based on exactly the spread of the result). But let's say you lost instead. It was expected you would win, so perhaps your skill score was presented to high. You will lose some skill points for losing to a "weaker" opponent, while the other player will gain skill points for beating a "superior" opponent. Thus, over time, your skill scores should remain a reflection of your overall skill.

As stated before, Elo can't work for MWO because it can't judge what each player brought to his team's success or failure. Your team can lose, but you can put in a heroic effort that rivals the best of the winning enemy team. Elo says despite your heroic performance that your skill still wasn't up to scratch, so you'll drop in skill. Whereas even the worst player on the enemy team - the guy who died first in the match with a mere 14 points of damage - will receive a bump up in skill. This is all, of course, in theory, as MWO throws a big wrinkle into Elo... skill-matched matchmaking.

MWO seeks to match teams of similar skill to each other, putting 2 teams together whose cumulative skill scores are extremely similar. This is a problem for Elo's system, as it depends on first making a skill-based prediction on who will win the match. If two opponents are considered to be evenly matched in terms of skill, the prediction of a winner cannot be made. Both teams are equally as likely to win the match as they are to lose it - so the result, then, is not notable or significant under Elo's system.

What ends up happening, then? Well, because you weren't expected to win OR lose, your skill won't really change significantly from match to match. Any gains your Elo score makes in one match will be insignificant at best, and balanced by losses made on other matches. Even if you perform well from match-to-match... even if your personal stats like kill-to-death and win-to-loss ratios are well in the positive, your personal Elo skill rating will remain largely the same over time. And regardless of where your Elo rating starts (and tends to stay), it doesn't matter... because you will be matched to a random assortment of players from all skill levels to produce a team with a cumulative skill level similar to the opposing team (also made of random players of mixed skill level). Russ and the PGI team have gone on record as stating that the static nature of player Elo has proven out just as described here, and for exactly these reasons.

So, does Elo work for multi-player games? Nope.
Does Elo work in MWO? Nope.
Does your Elo score reflect your personal skill? Nope.
Does your Elo score reflect the types of players you will play with or against in matchmaking? Nope.
Does your Elo score matter in MWO? Not at all. Not even close. It is, for all intents and purposes, an entirely random and meaningless statistic based on absolutely nothing to do with your actual game performance. "

Edited by ScarecrowES, 17 August 2015 - 07:01 PM.

#118 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:05 PM

I just wonder if the "score" will weigh assist and dmg properly. I am the kind of player that will stick some well aimed dmg into some ones ST to expose it, then they will run away and I will end up duking it out with another enemy and exposing them, etc. All the while ranking in critical dmg, but no kills or sometimes even comp destructions.

But I mean, turning that Hellbringer LT cherry red and blowing his ECM was pretty vital to the team, even though I got like what, 50 dmg out of it and nothing else cept an assist at the end? I mean, I know they can't reward raw dmg, or LRM boaters will end up rising through the ranks till they get stomped on over and over, BUT, if they don;t reward dmg enough, things like well placed shots get penalized unless the comp. is destroyed or you stick a kill.

I worry about this, not because I need an EPEEN, but because i am concerned I will end up in a lower tier and have to herd cats in the steering wheel underhive for the next 3 months until I have nuked enough cadets to climb out.

I guess we will see shortly.

Oh and to the public stuff, gods no, the forum will require a measuring stick for each post if people can look up each others epeen scores. I don;t care if I can see my own, but hell if I want to know anyone else's or them to know mine. Too many people are chomping at the bit to lord a score over the "tier 3 peasants".

#119 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:16 PM

they simply should reconsider their decision to use scores

#120 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas