Custom Geometry Poll (Update: Response From Pgi)

172 replies to this topic

#1 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:56 AM

Update:

I sent a PM to Dennis De Koning, got a reply. He asked that we start a poll to gauge interest, so I did.

You can find the poll HERE!

• PGI is interested in the possibility of selling cosmetic custom geometry upgrades.
  • Every bit of cosmetic custom geometry (CCG) will come with a single set of texture, such as the chrome-painted skull of the AS7-S(L). In other words, it won't change colour based on how you paint the rest of your mech or what camo patterns you have.
  • It needs to be relatively simple. To sell a completely redesigned retro-Timber Wolf based on old artwork is too much work. We're talking about simple upgrades, like replacing a head, a shoulderpad, an armour plate or a hand.
  • PGI needs to know what kind of upgrades we're interested in, and what mechs they should handle first.
I tried to make this poll to the best of my abilities. It may be flawed, but try not to hate me for it. The important thing is that everyone who's interested shows their interest and we get this show on the road.

Note: At the risk of making the poll biased, please keep in mind that selling this stuff for MC is probably the only way PGI can justify spending lots of time on it. If nobody's willing to spend MC, it seems unlikely that it will happen.

PGI has made no promises, but at least it's being talked about now. So let's make it happen!

Here's the original OP.
Spoiler

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Alistair Winter, 27 August 2015 - 12:01 AM.

#2 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:57 AM

Hello MechWarriors,

In Dev Vlog #14, we will be discussing the new Forest Colony with PGI's Art Director, Dennis De Koning!

We made this thread here for the community to ask any questions they would like for Dennis to answer, then we'll pick out a few and have him answer/discuss them in the next Dev Vlog!

(Unfortunately you only have 2 days to ask questions as we will be recording it this Friday afternoon)

Note: Your questions can be anything art related!

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4608288

Edit: comfirmed.. Triple yes here!

Edited by Sarlic, 20 August 2015 - 03:57 AM.

#3 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:02 AM

Posted Image

Battlemaster says yes!

I want everything! Atlas heads, Centurion mohawks and shields, Catapult noses!

CUSTOMIZE EVERYTHING!

#4 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:03 AM

Posted Image

#5 anonymous161

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:04 AM

I say why not? Why not give players more choices for their mechs and no I dont want to have to pay for them we have all paid enough money for stuff like patterns if you want steam users to really notice this game do something cool with the franchise give us different model variations different looking legs ect.

#6 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:08 AM

@DENNIS.

DENNIS PLS.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:10 AM

god, yes, imagine the money we cna throw at them.

Also they could add some as unlocks for mech XP so people grinding tons of XP on a specific mech having a long time goal to keep them motivated using it.

yep, make it happen.

But a question still is:

is it really not possible to make camso apply to them?

generally instead of havign Atlas Apple jakc camo in a big file the game could now have:

Atlas Applejack arm 1
Atlas Applejack arm 2
Atlas Applejack arm 3

Atlas Applejack leg 1
Atlas Applejack leg 2
Atlas Applejack leg 3

this way every section keeps it own skin which reduces filesizes. it just woudl require moe information to initially distribute at a matchstat to the players. But the additional diskspace required would be quite reasonable.

Edited by Lily from animove, 20 August 2015 - 03:12 AM.

#8 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:16 AM

this will generate TONS of $. there is only one problem. it will not be introduced faster ten 2018-2025. They dont have recources for this.

#9 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:28 AM

View PostTitannium, on 20 August 2015 - 03:16 AM, said:

this will generate TONS of $. there is only one problem. it will not be introduced faster ten 2018-2025. They dont have recources for this.

They do, because we are very close to havingfinshed most 3050's mechs that are common and popular. So the art and design team does have soon not much to do, except when PGI would plan a "jump" in the timeline. in a non pw2 game, the customisation will be the main money maker, Which is driven by the art and design team. The basic coding and map makers are not main money makers (unless they create corefeatures as dlc's), they are cost centers, they produce what makes the people stick with the game by adding new gameplay. And people that stick around will mostly start to buy stuff. So its an importantcost center since this is money invensted to keep people interested in the game. IGP has figured this out thats why they were against making new maps. (can't monetarise maps).

#10 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:40 AM

View PostDarth Bane001, on 20 August 2015 - 03:04 AM, said:

I say why not? Why not give players more choices for their mechs and no I dont want to have to pay for them we have all paid enough money for stuff like patterns if you want steam users to really notice this game do something cool with the franchise give us different model variations different looking legs ect.

To be honest, even though I've spent hundreds of dollars on this game... I'd still pay an absurd amount of money to have a pointy beak on my CPLT-K2.

#11 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:43 AM

yes custom geometry is something i think the entire community is behind

Claws for the YLW? Yes please

Posted Image

Edited by Tennex, 20 August 2015 - 07:41 AM.

#12 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:55 AM

I want a Firestarter head that doesn't look like a koala.

Scratch that, I want a Firestarter head that's furry and looks entirely like a koala.

#13 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:56 AM

I assume my question got through?

#14 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:59 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 20 August 2015 - 03:40 AM, said:

To be honest, even though I've spent hundreds of dollars on this game... I'd still pay an absurd amount of money to have a pointy beak on my CPLT-K2.

Nooo! That is a Founder's geometry item, it should be unique to the Catapult C1(F).

OK, maybe you have access to it if for all Catapults IF...IF...you are a Founder. Other than that, you can have other unique geometry, just not a Cat "beak" :).

I'd support purchasable geometry. I'm not sure I'd buy it TBH, but I support the idea and I can see it being popular.

Again though, NO special geometry items available for general purchase. Sorry, but special unique geometry stays unique.

#15 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:02 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 20 August 2015 - 03:59 AM, said:

Nooo! That is a Founder's geometry item, it should be unique to the Catapult C1(F).
OK, maybe you have access to it if for all Catapults IF...IF...you are a Founder. Other than that, you can have other unique geometry, just not a Cat "beak" :).

We already had this discussion when PGI offered to sell Phoenix mechs again. We don't have to go there again.

Although I'm starting to wonder how well a "special snowflake" hanging item would sell :P

Edited by Alistair Winter, 20 August 2015 - 04:04 AM.

#16 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:17 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 20 August 2015 - 04:02 AM, said:

We already had this discussion when PGI offered to sell Phoenix mechs again. We don't have to go there again.

Well, that was to resell the pack, not about selling custom bits of geometry off bit by bit that was promised to be unique to a pack.

Even then, people voted that down with a vengence. So that is why the beak is off the table.

I'll admit, I didn't feel THAT strongly about the Phoenix pack (or even packs since then), but the Founder's just feels a bit more special. It's a Founders thing :).

How's this, no "beak", but you can get some sweet push bars :D.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 20 August 2015 - 04:18 AM.

#17 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:19 AM

Dooo Eeeet! We gives you all the monies. Also, MW2 Sound Pack, Plz.

#18 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:21 AM

View PostThunder Child, on 20 August 2015 - 04:19 AM, said:

Dooo Eeeet! We gives you all the monies. Also, MW2 Sound Pack, Plz.

That would be cool. I saw the video where someone edited the sound file to add it (not s good idea, violates ToS), but an official released pack would be nice :).

#19 A big brave boulder of meat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 177 posts
  • LocationOakdale, Minnesota

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:22 AM

I would totally buy custom mech geometry. In a heartbeat.

#20 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:26 AM

Posted Image

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users