232 replies to this topic

#1 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:39 AM

No specific mechs, no specific faction, no specific side, no specific laser, no specific quirk; as it should be.

Lasers across the board need substantial nerfs.

When I see 90% of mechs in matches run laserboats, there's something wrong. Had the honor of getting stomped by a well known comp group and guess what, they were all running laserboats. Nary a missile or AC among them.

And a nerf doesn't even have to apply to a laser, could be a general heat rescale.

#bringthehatred

#2 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:44 AM

thats mostlikely because 90% of the mechs can not bpoat anything else because:

not enough B to boat Ballistics
most mechs with many B have not the weight available to baot B or the slots (dual AC 20 on atlas)
Not enouhg M to boat M
LRM generally are poop

Boating makes gamplay easier: aiming and firing is synchron on alsers.

So no ther eis no need to nerf lasers, it will not change much except making more mechs that now rely on lasers being bad, especially most lights that dn't have any other options to do so. And buffing the other weapon systems will still not work becaue of the aboves first three points.

heatrescale could help (set it 30) to reduce th alpha laserspam. This would make some pilots taking off a few lasers and using more srm's or some smaller B's, While the smaller light mechs will still stick with their 4-6 lasers fully able to play as before.

Edited by Lily from animove, 17 August 2015 - 06:46 AM.

#3 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:48 AM

Well history has shown that beam duration can make or break Clan lasers. We could always try that again. I don't know if anything is OP on the I.S. side. The Thunderwub may be getting nerfs so I want to wait to see how that pans out. Unquirked mplas have rather poor range. They are not super weapons in their natural state.

#4 Kira Onime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:50 AM

Or how about this..... instead of nerfing lasers, how about making the other weapon systems better?
One of the reasons why people boat lasers is that they are reliable. Aim and click.

#5 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:52 AM

100% agree.

However, it's a combination of two things:
  • Penalties for overheating and running at 90% heat are a joke.
  • Ballistics are way too hot compared to lasers. The advantages of combining ballistics with lasers are so insignificant that most people just boat lasers. There's no weapon synergy.
Whether you increase the heat for lasers across the boards or reduce the heat for other weapons doesn't really matter, except that increasing heat for lasers would help increasing TTK. Two birds with one stone.

View PostKira_Onime, on 17 August 2015 - 06:50 AM, said:

Or how about this..... instead of nerfing lasers, how about making the other weapon systems better?
One of the reasons why people boat lasers is that they are reliable. Aim and click.

Making other weapons better would ultimately lower TTK, unless you also apply some global nerf to all weapons by changing heatscale.

#6 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:54 AM

how so? any buff to those mechs will "nerf" the efficiency of other mechs not able to boat anything else, while it does totally buff mechs able to use he other weapon systems. This would be a very biased change with some clear winners and losers.

generally I would say inter-weaponbalance of the base values is quite good (excelt Ac2 and AC10). The rest is more a imbalance caused by the chassis and their available hardpoints. So quirks are actually needed to solve these issues.

probably, heat penalty, (aka damage form overhating) could be massively buffed. People use their lasers way to reckless,a nd damage is so abyssimal low from overhating its a joke. Mech would blew up left and right if we had MW3 heat mechanics. but even 12PPC direwhales can survive an alpha and its damage consequences. WTF?

Edited by Lily from animove, 17 August 2015 - 06:57 AM.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:54 AM

That will make the TTK shorter. I prefer a nerf to lasers in this case. Lets us all have equally worse weapon systems.

Let us make all weapons bad to the degree where LBX, Machine gun, and Flamers are commonly used! Variety for the win!

I'm dead serious here.

Edited by El Bandito, 17 August 2015 - 06:57 AM.

#8 Ascaloth

NUMERO UM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 569 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:55 AM

Then you use dakka, do endless screen shake and ppl call you "cheesy", and if it's an I.S. mech "quirks op pl0x nerf".

Then you use LRMs, do endless rain of death, and ppl call you "noob usar of a no aim crutch & useless weapon".

Then you use PPCs on a quirked mech (the only ones worth it) and ppl scream "nerf pl0x quirks op".

I'll never understand this player base.

#9 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:56 AM

I agree completely.

I don't really have anything else to offer this thread, unfortunately. I just want to very loudly agree.

#10 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:56 AM

Community need a nerf.

#11 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:58 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 17 August 2015 - 06:54 AM, said:

That will make the TTK shorter. I prefer a nerf to lasers in this case. Lets us all have equally worse weapon systems.

Let us make all weapons bad to the degree where LBX, Machine gun, and Flamers are commonly used! Variety for the win!

I'm dead serious here.

How can one make a gun as bad as a flamrs? thats literally impossibel to do a second time.

Edited by Lily from animove, 17 August 2015 - 06:58 AM.

#12 Ascaloth

NUMERO UM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 569 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:00 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 17 August 2015 - 06:58 AM, said:

How can one make a gun as bad as a flamrs? thats literally impossibel to do a second time.

Nerf ERLL to do 0,5 damage and you got an answer.

#13 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

However.. I understand your frustation.

Just wait how the rebalance will turn out. And then decide if you make another thread ;)

#14 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

View PostAscaloth, on 17 August 2015 - 07:00 AM, said:

Nerf ERLL to do 0,5 damage and you got an answer.

theystill have range unlike flamers.

#15 SkyHammyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 462 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:01 AM

Black Knight would like to have a word with you.

These forums need a nerf!

#16 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:01 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 17 August 2015 - 06:54 AM, said:

I'm dead serious here.

Glad you said you were quite serious. Seems the post was made in jest, but there is a lot of truth to it. As discussed above (yay, a discussion!) TTK is also a big factor here. I'm liking the discussion here. This may all be academic though. PGI's nerfhammer is inbound and no telling where it will fall.... :ph34r:

#17 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:02 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 17 August 2015 - 06:58 AM, said:

Who chill out mate. You typed so fast that you got your words messy. Such balancing is possible with some buffs to the Flamers. Too bad PGI simply did not hire the right man for the balancing department.

#18 Rushmoar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 266 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:06 AM

View Postcdlord, on 17 August 2015 - 06:39 AM, said:

No specific mechs, no specific faction, no specific side, no specific laser, no specific quirk; as it should be.

Lasers across the board need substantial nerfs.

When I see 90% of mechs in matches run laserboats, there's something wrong. Had the honor of getting stomped by a well known comp group and guess what, they were all running laserboats. Nary a missile or AC among them.

And a nerf doesn't even have to apply to a laser, could be a general heat rescale.

#bringthehatred

Lasers are fine. It's the heat scale and the out dated skill tree that needs to be fixed. Quirks need to go as well at least most of them.

Also you know, at least most do, that a rebalance is coming soon and we will be able to play it on the Public Test Server. So why are posts like this still popping up. Just wait till the rebalance hits then lets talk about lasers. post about balance keep showing up and PGI is doing something about it yet we act like nothing is happening at all. ;)

Edited by Rushmoar, 17 August 2015 - 07:10 AM.

#19 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:08 AM

we need 2 nerfs:

1) put CERML and CLPL in same ghost heat group to prevent circumvention of ghost heat mechanics

2) decrease the range of clan lasers across the board (specifically CERML and CLPL) because their range advantage over IS weapons is way too good and has forced us into this whole quirk mess.

Lasers are fine.

No theyre really not fine.

CERML and CLPL combos completely circumvent ghost heat while still delivering massive alphas.

Plus the damage/range on those clan lasers is ridiculous. They can alpha you from halfway across the map and still strip off a considerable portion of your armor.

Lasers are fine. It's the heat scale

Except a heatscale revamp isnt happening in the foreseeable future. Or likely ever. So why even mention it? The fixes we need are ones that can be applied immediately. Not some pipedream fix thats never coming.

The immediate fixes we need are an update to ghost heat to prevent CERML/CLPL abuse as well as a blanket range decrease on clan lasers.

TTK is already way too short and doesnt need to be even shorter. To properly address the short TTK issue, the correct course of action is to nerf the overpowered weapons rather than buffing the underpowered ones.

Edited by Khobai, 17 August 2015 - 07:25 AM.

#20 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:09 AM

View PostRushmoar, on 17 August 2015 - 07:06 AM, said:

Lasers are fine. It's the heat scale and the out dated skill tree that needs to be fixed. Quirks need to go as well at least most of them.

Also you know, at least most do, that a rebalance is coming soon and we will be able to play it on the Public Test Server. So why are post like this still popping up just wait till the rebalance hits them lets talk about lasers. post about balance keep showing up and PGI is doing something about it yet we act like nothing is happening at all. ;)

You should read the rest of the discussion. :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users