How To Improve Interest In Community Warfare

84 replies to this topic

#81 PunisherMark

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:47 PM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 10 September 2015 - 10:46 AM, said:

"Long wait times" is the biggest complaint and is what will kill CW off. People stop playing because of long wait times, resulting in less players to pool from, resulting in even longer wait times, resulting in more people leaving because of long wait times, etc ad naus.

I can put up with a lot of nonsense and still enjoy this game. I can ignore trash-talking little men, I can ignore static maps that don't make tactical sense, I can ignore whatever balance issue there is between Clan and IS this week.

What I can't do is stare at a loading screen for 15 minutes of my free time.

So really, "improving interest in CW" should not be your goal, "decreasing wait times" should be the focus. Because, while both issues have similar overlapping solutions, we need to correctly identify the problem before we can solve it.

So how do we decrease wait times?

1) up the CBill rewards dramatically. CW should be the cash cow. When new players ask how they can farm cbills, there should be 20 players explaining that CW is where its at because you can make 5-10x what you are making in the solo que. And by "dramatically increase" I mean to the extent that if a new player does the math, there is no doubt. I'm talking something on the order of 2 million cbills per CW match, not including faction rewards.

2) drop group size from 12 to 8.

3) give us a reason to care about the galaxy map. Faction-based perks depending on what planet you hold - like discounted modules or unique range/cooldown quirks tied to the planets resources. Or even a cbill revenue stream that's injected into your account daily, with a message reminding you where it came from.

They cannot and will not up the C-Bill. The game is only F2P barely.They want all the real money they can get.

#82 MechWarrior3671771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:08 PM

"They want all the real money they can get."

Not from my experience. My wallet has been shut since May over a dispute re a moderator. PGI is trying to be more stubborn than me, and is "winning" at a cost of $500 so far, losing ~$100 per month and counting. That doesn't sound like a company that makes money their #1 priority.

Edited by Fenrisulvyn, 10 September 2015 - 07:12 PM.

#83 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:45 PM

View PostMellifluer, on 10 September 2015 - 12:12 PM, said:

fair enough but im very much of the opinion that CW as a whole is a travesty that cannot be salvaged in its current form.

1 more teamwork, simply isnt gonna happen with pugs the way the maps are physically designed. every single time i drop i wonder to myself "what bat#$#$ crazy general decided that we all have to always attack the gates?" any half intelligent commander would drop his forces in the most advantageous positions to assault the base.

2 different mechanics. thats only gonna happen again if the maps themselves are heavily altered to get rid of the lanes and actually allow commanders to CHOOSE their angle of attack. there is no way in 3050 that you would attack any of those bases from that very same angle every single time. a smart commander would attack them from the cliffs or come in from the open #$#$$# ground (grim poritco) we have dropships there is no reason that you need to be dropped in a caldera at all you could be "hot dropped" right into the base and it would make more sense then trying to storm the gates every single time.

3 secondary objectives being more useful. a good idea but in reality again a light isnt allowed to actually flank. every single mech has to trudge through a freaking murder zone and face the enemy more or less head on.

4 none of the bases make any sense for the time frame. they should have extremely heavy AA and Anti Aerospace turrets literally everywhere because that is the most obvious and cost effective way to defeat the defenders not sending extremely expensive mechs head long through a freaking valley into the most defended side.

PGI needs to study the art of war. its never a good idea to attack from low ground, never a good idea to charge up hill, never a good idea to simply meet your enemy head on and see how it goes.

the maps ALL of them have to go. every single one of them is some DOTA garbage and secondary objectives wont change the fact that i dont want to go through those gates and no reasonable person would.

why are you not allowed to attack from the cliffsides? or the open ground? like any smart commander would. why are attackers put in the worst possible position to attack defenders? why are defenders hedging all their bets on a single side of their base?

I think its far past the point of "poorly done" and i dont want the money i have spent on this game (a sizable sum but let me say that it doesnt mean if someone spends $1000 vs $10 the big spenders opinion is more valid) to go to a game mode that by definition excludes 90%+ of the player base but is also surreptitiously named "community warfare".

PS think back to the wrath of khan, didn't matter that khan was way smarter and probably even had more guile then Kirk. because khan was evaluating the battlefield from his experience of fighting on land, sea and air he was doomed to be beaten by Kirk who knew how to change and manipulate the battlefield into his favor.

While I don't disagree with most of what you say, I just want to clarify one more thing (I know I sound like I'm being pedantic or nitpicky), I said secondary objectives are less useless. They're still in the useless range.

The maps need some more work, because as you pointed out, charging through funnel points is stupid. Though it's par for the course considering the tactics used by commanders in BT lore. Again, I agree with a lot of what you say. There are plenty of problems with CW. I think that CW can be salvaged, though.

#84 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:51 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 10 September 2015 - 08:45 PM, said:

I think that CW can be salvaged, though.

With what Russ said about CW Part 3: The Clan Menace, the next CW update has me excited!

Pretty much everything he said about CW in his last Town Hall is still on track, content wise. 4x4 Scouting, Role Warfare, Loyalist/Merc system, Attack voting, etc. However, still need details on planet ownership afaik.

Now that focus is put back into CW, it just can't get here fast enough.

:)

#85 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:27 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 11 September 2015 - 06:51 AM, said:

With what Russ said about CW Part 3: The Clan Menace, the next CW update has me excited!

Pretty much everything he said about CW in his last Town Hall is still on track, content wise. 4x4 Scouting, Role Warfare, Loyalist/Merc system, Attack voting, etc. However, still need details on planet ownership afaik.

Now that focus is put back into CW, it just can't get here fast enough.

:)

Well, looks like I need to go watch that Townhall video then.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users