How To Improve Interest In Community Warfare

84 replies to this topic

#41 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:26 AM

View PostMechregSurn, on 22 August 2015 - 06:56 PM, said:

Resource based planetary warfare. It is why mech2 through mech4 were epic. Ask me how...

this.... this is where it all should have started. i mean how many mech leagues are out there over the years that people have made out of there own home with no paycheque or income that were excellent! mechreg/nbt/empire league off the top of my head.

i can almost guarantee we will never see it in MWO, but i do hear NBT is in the works :)

#42 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:32 PM

View PostSummon3r, on 27 August 2015 - 11:26 AM, said:

i can almost guarantee we will never see it in MWO, but i do hear NBT is in the works :)

Plenty of folks are already working on one. We even have some units who are going to be participating.

#43 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:56 AM

View PostBiclor Moban, on 22 August 2015 - 08:52 AM, said:

PLEASE "LIKE" IF YOU DO.

NO,

the FIRST RULE in CLAN Invasion is not followed, so why should i help claner noobs?

The undertonnage rule. Clans have to undercut IS in a fight.

As long as this is not 12 vs 10 or under i will not go sacrifice myself to some noob clan mech pilots. and nothing can change my minde on it.

Done

Edited by Seelenlos, 28 August 2015 - 12:56 AM.

#44 Biclor Moban

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 204 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:48 PM

View PostSeelenlos, on 28 August 2015 - 12:56 AM, said:

NO,

the FIRST RULE in CLAN Invasion is not followed, so why should i help claner noobs?

The undertonnage rule. Clans have to undercut IS in a fight.

As long as this is not 12 vs 10 or under i will not go sacrifice myself to some noob clan mech pilots. and nothing can change my minde on it.

Done

Please "like" if you do.

I thought this was clear.
If you like what I wrote press the "like" button.
If you don't like what I wrote do nothing and I am sorry I wasted your time.

I think you will like one of my previous posts. Links below

http://mwomercs.com/...-cw-suggestion/

or this.

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4248657

or this

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4254252

Edited by Biclor Moban, 28 August 2015 - 08:09 PM.

#45 Biclor Moban

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 204 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:26 PM

I also had this thought - pulled from a spawn camping thread.

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4649611

#46 Duke ramulots

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 164 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:00 PM

Instead of drop size reduction how about needing 12 or even 24 to attack, but any number to defend? You can have a set number of defense points that are only there in the absence of a defending player. So 12 attackers can still have fun even against just one guy defending.

#47 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:31 AM

View PostDuke ramulots, on 28 August 2015 - 10:00 PM, said:

Instead of drop size reduction how about needing 12 or even 24 to attack, but any number to defend? You can have a set number of defense points that are only there in the absence of a defending player. So 12 attackers can still have fun even against just one guy defending.

Why would the one guy defend? I understand that we want to speed up matches, but giving people more excuses for why they lost is not the smart move here. At least in my opinion.

#48 Araevin Teshurr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 368 posts
  • LocationIn your base, eating your food!

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:16 AM

Sounds great.
Until taking territory yields some benefit for the your unit like discounts on modules or researching new tech, there will never be a point to constantly slug it out for NOTHING.

#49 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:11 AM

PVE > CW sorry CW had it's chance and never had a chance to start with. CW will only be good when the community is also good. I know why PGI did CW it was asked for, but PVE should have came first, now PGI has to work twice as hard to make CW appealing to the new users.

CW should be left as is until PVE is done. Once you have a place for new players to retreat to when pvp is getting to be too much, then you can focus on CW. Mind you PVE elements can be added to CW, it's just win/win.

#50 Biclor Moban

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 204 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:54 PM

View PostImperius, on 29 August 2015 - 10:11 AM, said:

PVE > CW sorry CW had it's chance and never had a chance to start with. CW will only be good when the community is also good. I know why PGI did CW it was asked for, but PVE should have came first, now PGI has to work twice as hard to make CW appealing to the new users.

CW should be left as is until PVE is done. Once you have a place for new players to retreat to when pvp is getting to be too much, then you can focus on CW. Mind you PVE elements can be added to CW, it's just win/win.

I don't know what my tier is...

#51 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:06 PM

Rest in peace CW.....

#52 Capt_Kobalt

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 42 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 September 2015 - 05:55 AM

1. More Game modes.
2. Way better payouts.
3. Awards for x amount of drops.
4. Clan rankings for amount of drops done and possibly won.
5. More maps. rework of maps.
6. Events based on CW drops.
7. Medals earned for accomplishments.

Just a few ideas.

#53 VoodooLou Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 595 posts
  • LocationMember #2618

Posted 05 September 2015 - 11:53 AM

Reset the CW Map and remove the Starting areas for The Clans on the Map (Start us out from Clan Space). Make use of Jump Ship restrictions. Clan Jump Ships can move 2 systems a day (also make use of the jump 'pipelines' that exist in Canon) while IS only 1 (with a Caveat that if the System jumped into is occupied you cant jump to the next system, unless your Aligned via Same Faction AND Individual Unit Alliances that are on record and tracked with in game and a tiered system of Alignments [Allies{In game tracked w/ Mutual Defense/Attack agreements},Friendly/same faction,Neutral {In game tracked Non-Aggression/Defense agreements},Suspicious/Watched { Fellow Clan/IS units belonging to non-factioned Clans/IS Faction that isnt on the Allied/Neutral/Enemy lists} and Enemies {In Game Tracked list of Units that show up in system are Announced as attacking that system}]).
The Starting Points for the IS Units should be from the Factions Capital system and makes use of the Tiered Alignment system outlined above.
Thi would mean that leaders would have to make agreements and list units that are enemies which would foster Community cohesiveness. There is still alot to be worked on before this system could be used but things like that could be hammered out in Beta (CW's still beta after all since planetary values dont mean nothing now) before going 'Live'. Also a Tiered system of 'attack types' (Recon,Raid,Conquest) would determine Attack size (Recon 4vs4 1 Mech each 3 drops [Insertion,Info Gathering,Extraction. Goal; Reconing unit MUST win Info Gathering Drop and 1 other for Partial success, Full for all 3 and incur a penalty for not winning IG drop +1 of other 2 Both 4 mans are committed to all 3 drops) etc which should be hammered out like the above as well.
If I just wanted to pound my chest about bragging rights Id mention constantly that Im Decorated with Both US Navy and Marine Expeditionary Medals. Not alot of Non-Medical Corps sailors can say that.

#54 Syncline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 205 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 September 2015 - 12:16 PM

Whatever method used to fix CW should be simple. I can think of a few simple ways to improve participation:

1. Increase the minimum reward for the loser of a game. Getting rolled 48-11 means you spend 15-20 minutes and make perhaps 60k CBills. That should be criminal. It's hideously insulting to the losing players and does a fantastic job of disincentivizing further play.

2. More maps. And I'm not talking about more "blow up generators to open a gate so you can blow up more generators" maps. I'm talking about something OTHER than more "blow up generators to open a gate so you can blow up more generators" maps. It's not fun. No new maps with gates or generators. Figure something else out.

3. Related to #2. We need more PUG-friendly modes. Modes like Conquest work fine for disorganized groups where everyone wants to do their own thing. Scale that up to CW-sized games. Introduce maps with a lot of micro objectives that are all meaningful.

4. Faction rewards for owning planets should be meaningful to all players. We don't need 5% discounts on faction-specific mechs because veteran players already have those mechs. We do need to develop the faction initiatives they're testing now into something that people will actually care about. For example, if you're a Clanner and your Clan takes an IS industrial planet that produces Thunderbolts, all members of your Clan gain the ability to field Thunderbolts in CW games as long as your Clan controls the planet. Further, get a big fat 90% CBill discount for purchasing that mech while you own the planet, but you only get the discount if you actually participated in a battle for the planet. Members of the opposing faction have an incentive to deny the enemy the ability to use their workhorse mechs in future battles. Lore nerds will hate this, I know, but I don't care; what's more important is we need meaningful rewards, rewards that give us strategic and financial incentives to actually give a damn about taking/losing planets.

Edited by Syncline, 05 September 2015 - 12:36 PM.

#55 Admiral General Doctective

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 12:27 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 22 August 2015 - 07:12 PM, said:

Teamspeak, faction chat, and calls to arms solve that problem.

It also needs to be advertised in-game. Hell, they just need a SC2 style online lobby going. That would help get people involved.

#56 Armando

CookieWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • LocationRaiding the Cookie Jar

Posted 05 September 2015 - 12:57 PM

Here are a few suggestions...

1) Create a tutorial that highlights how to find and work with teammates. Completing the tutorial should give a one time reward to each player who invests the time go through it.

2) Allow units to use their coffers to buy and build out drop decks that new / intermediate players can take into CW until they earn enough C-Bills to create their own drop decks, then remove the option for taking trail mechs. This would encourage new and intermediate players to join a unit and promote teamwork.

3) Make taking and keeping planets meaningful. The more planets a Faction holds the larger the faction loyalty bonus for all members of the faction. Each planet captured / held by a unit give a % C-Bill amount into the unit coffers each time a unit member wins a CW match (the money raised can be used for suggestion #2).

4) Follow through with the creation of scouting missions that allow Lone Wolfs and small units to have a meaningful and rewarding CW experience. Make it so that a faction must have x number of successful scouting missions completed on planet before the larger units can make an attack run on that planet.

****EDIT****

5) A Faction Chat that is view / usable from the home, mech lab, and skills pages of the user interface.

Edited by Armando, 05 September 2015 - 06:09 PM.

#57 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 September 2015 - 05:06 PM

View PostAdmiral General Doctective, on 05 September 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

It also needs to be advertised in-game. Hell, they just need a SC2 style online lobby going. That would help get people involved.

Isn't that basically the same thing as our current Faction chat?

#58 Armando

CookieWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • LocationRaiding the Cookie Jar

Posted 05 September 2015 - 06:07 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 05 September 2015 - 05:06 PM, said:

Isn't that basically the same thing as our current Faction chat?

Wouldn't it be nice if you could use Faction Chat from the home screen, or the mech lab, or the skills page, but hay...that would make to much sense. Now that it has been mentioned, I'm going to edit my post in the tread to include that tid-bit.

Edited by Armando, 05 September 2015 - 06:08 PM.

#59 Sickening Spying Scheming Eunuch

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGolden Skulls

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:42 AM

The main thing destroying CW are PUGs. You queue with random people, do not even try to coordinate with them, you don't use your ingame communicator or a faction teamspeak... hell, you do not even fight for your own faction. Even lots of units are not playing with their teammates, but queue alone to defend or attack a random planet which is currently full of another solo pilots. This needs to end.

PUG isn't showing how the real Community Warfare battle should look like, they are far less enjoyable then playing as a premade using microphones and trying to came up with a tactics to beat your enemy, regardless of a final result of the battle. Playing full premade or even a premade lance have always been better then playing a PUG. Also, almost every Inner Sphere faction lose it's planets due to random people from another IS factions queuing just to make 120 dmg with 4 mechs and disconnect.

How to prevent that? Quite easily:

-There should be a greater bonus for fighting for one particular faction you've picked for CW, to become more connected to it and to meet other pilots from this faction. It should stimulate your care for a success of your faction and push you to playing more CW matches to see how it captures more and more planets. It will make you want to be a part of this success, and to socialize more with fellow faction pilots, now when you have a thing in common with them.

-There should be also another big bonus for fighting AS a unit in premade, to encourage people to join some larger group, and take part in their events. The bigger is your premade for CW, the greater bonus you should get. This way, mercenary units will be encouraged to play CW as well, so it won't become faction centered. Also, it should persuade lots of people to be a part of one unit or another, If most players are divided between units, then the results of CW shall lay on your shoulders, you are not an anonymous pilot but a part of a unit fighting for your faction, so you don't want to feel excluded from that and should feel need to help your mates.
Also, a system like that should split players inside one faction into internally rivalizing groups, trying to be the best, biggest and most successful unit within the faction.

-Optionally, there could be a system of looking for an unit ingame, right now you join unit only by playing with their members and making your first move or being so exceptionally good to be invited by them or by sitting here, at forums. So if you could see a plain list of all units within the faction, showing number of planets they have, the number of members, possibly a short description what kind of unit is that you could apply to one of those and wait for leader's decision. Simple, effective and it shouldn't require lots of work from PGI, its just a small change in the interface, another tab allowing you to join something being equivalent of a guild.

I'm convinced it would work, if you agree with me, then please like this post, so these points get more attention.

Posted Image

Edited by KruczekIIV, 06 September 2015 - 02:43 AM.

#60 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:23 AM

View PostArmando, on 05 September 2015 - 06:07 PM, said:

Wouldn't it be nice if you could use Faction Chat from the home screen, or the mech lab, or the skills page, but hay...that would make to much sense. Now that it has been mentioned, I'm going to edit my post in the tread to include that tid-bit.

So add "Faction" to the social tab, much like we did with "Unit"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users