73 replies to this topic

#61 KhanJames

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts
  • LocationFl

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:18 PM

IMO victors and highlanders are no longer worth it. highlanders, victors, and atlases (love the DC and ecm) used to be my main assaults then clans and quirks and JJ "fixes" came out and now i rarely use em, sold all but the heros (dragon slayer still does ok at range, heavy metal i like 2 LPL and Ac10, Boars head i run 4 LPL. all are niche mechs but i do all right with them) and the locked atlases (they lost the speed/manuverability that made em more like overweight heavies and turned em into underpreformers). for IS brawling IMO its King Crab, Atlas, and banshee.Some people like stakers (especially misery) but ive never done well with them, Awesomes are horrible for brawling or close quarters in general (also not very good at medium range, or long range, and in general there just big sad barn doors). Maybe after the new system is implemented the assault lineups will get switched but you never know how things'll go so never hurts to wait.

Banshee is i agree a solid choice. Atlas is definately good but a lot of people still do the "shoot the atlas first" policy. and no mech will hold up long under focused fire of multiple enemies.

Also agree that in the mean time mediums are a good way to learn brawling and proper twisting. I learned with centurions they can be fast armored and solid hitters along with having a shield arm once you learn to use can help you especially if you go with zombie/standard engine assaults,( for example banshee is one where so many weapons are torso mounted you can use the arms as shields)

#62 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:29 PM

from what it seems the new system will be delayed for a while anyway
it was said even before the first pts iteration that the rebalance will not happen on 22 september and after the first public test failed so miserably it will probably delay its future release even more if not scrap it outright

#63 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:39 PM

For IS I would suggest the Stalker 4N or Misery. The Stalker is just a hard mech to kill period. The 4N has some of the most insane quirks in the game and can boat 6 LL, add some LL modules to that and you've got a damage output machine. The Misery can brawl, with AC/20 capability and plenty of energy hard points it can hold it's own pretty damn well.

Clan doesn't really have any good assault brawlers IMO. Each assault has their own thing about them that makes it an undesirable brawler. DWF is too slow, WHK gets killed to easily, EXE doesn't have enough tonnage. The Timberwolf and Hellbringer make damn good brawlers though.

#64 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:13 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 14 September 2015 - 01:29 PM, said:

from what it seems the new system will be delayed for a while anyway
it was said even before the first pts iteration that the rebalance will not happen on 22 september and after the first public test failed so miserably it will probably delay its future release even more if not scrap it outright

That's why you don't mix a 50% off everything + double XP weekend with a critical public test that gives none of the rewards.

#65 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:45 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 14 September 2015 - 04:13 PM, said:

That's why you don't mix a 50% off everything + double XP weekend with a critical public test that gives none of the rewards.

people were very excited about the pts despite the double exp weekend... till they tasted the changes there
i saw ~100-200+ viewers on pts twitch streams, it's a ridiculous amount for mwo streams

#66 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:28 PM

Well, I got all three through basics, and the DS is within 1000MXP of full elites.

Favorite of the three: 9S(C). That AC20 <3....The 9B is set up identically but has PPCs instead of LPLs and I nailed three kills and 398 damage first time out with it.

I just can't find that sweet spot with the DS. AC10...not enough ooopmh. Gauss rifle...too clumsy, but I keep going back to it. Rrrrr, PGI folks, 9 ballistic criticals isn't enough! I need ten!

Thinking about 2xAC5. Firepower might be low...but DPS has to be high. I'd shoehorn two U/AC5 in that arm if I could fit 'em!

#67 KhanJames

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts
  • LocationFl

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:23 AM

Im assuming you mean Dragon Slayer, I run an AC10, ERPPC, LPL, CConsole, XL330, with DHS and Endo. think its got 3-4 tons ammo and a couple dhs+plus the ones in the engine and a couple JJ. not really a true brawler but most dont want to brawl when a ppc is wearing them down and they have to walk into a lpl and ac10 (most actually do the insta twist and try to get out letting you get free hits, usually not gonna kill em but soften em up for later). Its a more unspecialized mech i find does bettter overall (mid to high damage most games) than a niche brawler that may do great (500+) in CQC games/maps but when your at range(especially important for CW) gets torn apart before you can do anything(aka low to nil). And more importantly when its near the end of a match its got good 1 hit or PPC+lpl/AC10 killing potential)(Aka on a moderatly damaged opponent any of your weapons have decent range and damage for a kill shot when many other brawlers will have to close to get the kill risking your own probably damaged mech) but try a few diffrent builds if you have the cbills. i played around with it for atleast a month before i decided on keeping that one.

Also the modules can help it alot. weapon modules are good but Seismic is almost always a must and i commonly consider zoom second place. radar dep is nice but if your not moving fast enough or no cover nearby its no good. rest are near usless on an assault striker/brawler IMO.

#68 Chados

• 1,948 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:30 PM

Yeah, I'm always interested in Dragon Slayer builds. I'm still trying to find the sweet spot with mine and I'm thinking about the old meta build using 2xAC5 and 2xPPC when I build up some Cbills, I've spent myself dry experimenting. I like the PPCs on Victors in general. I like LPLs too, though. The VTR-9S(C) is my favorite of the three I have, and has the AC20 and two LPL.

Like I said, I really like it; it is like running a 70-75 ton jump jet heavy but with just a >< little more.

#69 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:15 AM

Warhawks with an AC 10 and 4 ml or 2 LL and your preference of SRM or LRM do very well for me personally. You can cover every range you may engage the enemy at, the hit boxes are not that bad and the speed at which it moves is excellent and allows you to move in and out making it an excellent harasser, and skirmisher for its weight. Possibly the only clan assault that actually can be considered for those roles.

Same thing with the Zeus in my experience, but it is a little more starved for ranged firepower.. I build according to the quirks but I tend to enjoy 2 ac 5s backed with some lasers. Fast enough to disengage, powerful enough to make an enemy decide to leave and when most people are looking for a way out instead of trying to kill you often you kill them.

I don't play CW so I doubt either would work for it. I have my best w/l and K/d ratios in Warhawks though and encourage anyone to try them. B

#70 The Trumpet of Gabriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:41 PM

I would probably recommend a Banshee or Zeus for a first time assault driver. They are pretty forgiving and can run close and long range builds effectively. I used to love the Victor as a crazy fast jumpy assault brawler, but it's just really squishy right now. Maybe after the rebalance... :rolleyes: If you are comfortable going slow it is hard to match the damage output of a King Crab.

#71 Chados

• 1,948 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:42 AM

Tried the Banshee before I bought the Victors and didn't like it as much. I need a little more get-aroundness. I'm getting a free Zeus on Oct 6 since I have the Urbie and Marauder collector packs. I'll try it then but it'll have to be pretty fantastic to get me out of the VTR, even when I have a bad match its not the 'mech so much as something I did wrong or I got mobbed for some reason, usually.

Weirdly, I seem actually to do best in the Dragon Slayer. Never saw that one coming. I'm about to start on elites on the 9B, one more PUG drop in the 9SC ought to do it. It may not be the easy button, but I like it.

#72 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 02:22 AM

View PostChados, on 18 September 2015 - 08:42 AM, said:

Tried the Banshee before I bought the Victors and didn't like it as much. I need a little more get-aroundness. I'm getting a free Zeus on Oct 6 since I have the Urbie and Marauder collector packs. I'll try it then but it'll have to be pretty fantastic to get me out of the VTR, even when I have a bad match its not the 'mech so much as something I did wrong or I got mobbed for some reason, usually.

Weirdly, I seem actually to do best in the Dragon Slayer. Never saw that one coming. I'm about to start on elites on the 9B, one more PUG drop in the 9SC ought to do it. It may not be the easy button, but I like it.

I was actually thinking of trying the Zeus. It looks like it can be a decent brawler (as much as brawling isn't as popular now). It's much more compact than the Atlas I'm used to, but can field a decent loadout and some of the variants have good protection quirks.

I'm not getting the loyalty variant however, and I have mostly subsisted on Mastery packs for any purchases (and mech bays).

I am thinking about getting a Package deal, however I don't like the idea of preordering them, and having my money tied up for months waiting for them to be released. I guess you do get a few nice rewards for getting the preorder in before a certain time, but if I've already missed that window I'd just as soon wait to see if the mechs are any good any get them with Cbills.

#73 Chados

• 1,948 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:17 AM

i got six of the fourteen 'mechs I own with IS Mastery packs. I think they're a great deal to get into the game. I recommend them highly, because spending actual money may not make the game pay to win but it does help flatten the learning curve a little and the Mastery Packs are a good deal given the MC costs of the separate things that come in the bundle. The investment paid off in increased enjoyment of the game, especially with the premium time that comes with it.

My stable includes all five Catapults, three of the four Victors, all four UrbanMechs, and the Cicada X5. I bought 'em all with MC or cash but for two Cbill Catapults, and I have no shame in admitting it. This is one of my hobbies, and life is too short not to have a little fun. Plenty of pilots have a lot more skin in the game than I do, honestly. Initially, I simply wanted one fun example of each weight class full mastered for no other reason than I can run it in the queue that has the shortest wait time. After I joined a unit, I kept to that plan so I'd be able to fill any slot in a drop that the team needs. And then I bought the Marauder collector pack...because Marauders.

Edited by Chados, 23 September 2015 - 07:18 AM.

#74 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:58 AM

View PostChados, on 18 September 2015 - 08:42 AM, said:

Tried the Banshee before I bought the Victors and didn't like it as much. I need a little more get-aroundness. I'm getting a free Zeus on Oct 6 since I have the Urbie and Marauder collector packs. I'll try it then but it'll have to be pretty fantastic to get me out of the VTR,

The VTR will always own a very special place in your heart..... when you tried the Zeus only once - you never look back.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users