Cw Doesn't Use Psr But Will Affect Your Psr Rating.

69 replies to this topic

#21 patataman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-sa
  • Sho-sa
  • 464 posts
  • LocationA Vindicator cockpit near you

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:41 AM

"Cw Doesn't Use Psr But Will Affect Your Psr Rating."

I... uhhh... Wut??? Really???

""Logic"" is OP, PGI please nerf.

#22 Pjwned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:53 AM

I guess I would maybe consider complaining about it in some way, but I don't play CW anyways because it's **** so I find it hard to care personally.

#23 lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 918 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:00 AM

View PostKilo 40, on 24 August 2015 - 04:03 AM, said:

if I understood them correctly, the tiers are based on data they've been collecting since January. So I wouldn't call it a "brand new" PSR.

It's not the fact that they're using old stats to justify the new rating... it's how the PSR is being used, and how CW is having an impact on PSR yet PSR has no impact on CW without the foresight of long term cause/effect.

Let me give you an example.

If say a person and 5 other people new or otherwise, decide to join a faction for whatever reason and want to play CW. Let's say in this case, Wolf. So since they're new, they decide to take all trial mechs to drop in either a group or in solo to attack/defend a planet together. So you have 6 new players, all in trial mechs, dropping with 6 other people. Let's say one of those people are you. Would you feel that with half of your team comprised of new players in trial mechs is going to do well, and also don't you think that their ability to perform or lack of, would have a major impact of how the other team will impact your ability to play? ESPECIALLY, if you drop against a 12-man group, or against well known comp players?

So if you get stomped because half of your team is new players in CW, since you are not matched with players around your capability, it's going to heavily impact your PSR, which could potentially destroy your tier rating for TDM.

NOW... here's more food for thought. What happens when Steam launches, and every new player decides they want to try Community Warfare? It could be just you, 11 new players against a 12-man comp team... After a bunch of CW matches like that with how the new PSR works with CW, you may as well get out your steering wheel and try to enjoy playing with the underhive in TDM!

#24 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:45 AM

Sometimes you have to let the game designers be the game designers

Having CW stats included in the calculations for PSR is not that big a deal

#25 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:49 AM

View PostSable, on 23 August 2015 - 06:31 PM, said:

I don't know what you guys are freakin out about, i usually do much better in CW than pug queue. If anything this is great news. my PSR is gonna go through the roof.

Im not worried about myself, i cant figure this stuff out. its New guys, people who dont come to forums, dont read patch notes etc. They will wonder why they are being punished in one mode for the things that happen in another. I find it silly to share the stats they are two completely different game modes and should be treated that way with the stats too.

You run different mechs, builds, and tactics so why use the same cookie cutter stat sheets for it all? Be nice to know kills, win, loss, that kinds of stuff but just last night i managed to stand around and poach hills to the tune of a 700+ match score....i dont see this being accurate. I just finished off mechs the pugs could not but will get praised in the Normal and Group queues like i am a god among nerds.

They dont work together like that...one mdoe where i can get 16 kills should not be weighted the same as a mode where i can get none and still get the highest match score. The bar in CW is much lower then in 12 mans group drops if you ask me....

#26 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:52 AM

View Post00ohDstruct, on 24 August 2015 - 08:00 AM, said:

So if you get stomped because half of your team is new players in CW, since you are not matched with players around your capability, it's going to heavily impact your PSR, which could potentially destroy your tier rating for TDM.

Thats wrong. If you do well in a losing team, your PSR stays the same. So the trial mechs will probably have a really low match score, the other experienced players will have a pretty high match score compared to the newbies, so their PSR won't change!

In other words: Everyone, chill!

Edited by TexAce, 24 August 2015 - 08:52 AM.

#27 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:58 AM

View PostKira_Onime, on 23 August 2015 - 03:11 PM, said:

No need for histrionics or over dramatic panicking. It makes perfect sense.

CW queues are first come first serve, intended to be played mostly by premade groups comprised of people capable of cooperating.

All activity there, theoretically is even MORE inclined to be 'teamwork oriented', and therefore directly applicable to PSR.

I'm guessing though, and it's a big guess, that it would take a spectacularly BAD losing score for CW to degrade your Tier position at all, and by 'spectacularly bad' we're talking unable to do more than 400 damage with 4 'mechs.

Seriously, you have to be significantly drunk, playing on horrifically underpowered equipment, or have some sort of physical defect to NOT be able to average AT LEAST 100 damage per 'mech in CW.

So, this is a lot of hoopla over absolutely nothing.

#28 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:48 AM

View PostKharnZor, on 23 August 2015 - 06:31 PM, said:

...i don't even
Posted Image

and some things never change. ;)

#29 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:51 AM

View PostJman5, on 23 August 2015 - 06:38 PM, said:

I think people are operating under the assumption that PSR has higher standards for a good CW match score because you play 4 mechs.

Does CW use a separate set of Rewards vs Pug?

#30 Andan

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationStates

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:52 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 24 August 2015 - 08:58 AM, said:

CW queues are first come first serve, intended to be played mostly by premade groups comprised of people capable of cooperating.

All activity there, theoretically is even MORE inclined to be 'teamwork oriented', and therefore directly applicable to PSR.

I'm guessing though, and it's a big guess, that it would take a spectacularly BAD losing score for CW to degrade your Tier position at all, and by 'spectacularly bad' we're talking unable to do more than 400 damage with 4 'mechs.

Seriously, you have to be significantly drunk, playing on horrifically underpowered equipment, or have some sort of physical defect to NOT be able to average AT LEAST 100 damage per 'mech in CW.

I don't agree with this comment. One of the reasons for the PSR implemantation was to correct an imbalance that the old elo system had. Groups could pottentailly carry a member to a higher elo rating then he actually was. It wasn;t based on any part of a players direct actions during the match, but the end result of a Win or Loss. This wasn't the only thing it adjusted, but was definetly one of the aspects used to seel it to the masses and "hype" it.

Now we fast forward and CW can potentially do the exact same thing the elo and group que were doing a mere week ago. The question is why does PSR even effect any of CW. CW is in Beta. It's not a finished product. It should in no way effect me as a player, for testing your gameplay mechanics. Nor should my stats effect anything related to it.

CW is and has been a pre-made playground for some time. That may not always be the case, but for new or casual players kitting out 4 meta mechs with modules is and can be a burden. (I'm not going to address all the "fail" that is Paulconomy here) But for a new player this is a glorious oppurtunity to help "the cause" So they launch, with a bunch of trials and maybe 1-2 decent mechs, built by my seven year old. It ends up being a complete disaster. Now the only people left are competent pre-mades. PGI has effectively created a system that is not inviting to the new player.

I always envision this game differently then it is now. I think my hope for something better makes me keep playing. But in truth the core mechanics of this game are so broken it's hard to keep the dream alive. Who knows maybe the single player battletech game is where I need to put my faith.

#31 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:56 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 24 August 2015 - 08:58 AM, said:

stuff

OMG! Drama Queens Unite!

And folks wonder why PGI do not listen to this Forum as much as this Forum thinks they should? Would you?

#32 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:18 AM

View PostAndan, on 24 August 2015 - 09:52 AM, said:

I don't agree with this comment. One of the reasons for the PSR implemantation was to correct an imbalance that the old elo system had. Groups could pottentailly carry a member to a higher elo rating then he actually was. It wasn;t based on any part of a players direct actions during the match, but the end result of a Win or Loss. This wasn't the only thing it adjusted, but was definetly one of the aspects used to seel it to the masses and "hype" it.

Now we fast forward and CW can potentially do the exact same thing the elo and group que were doing a mere week ago. The question is why does PSR even effect any of CW. CW is in Beta. It's not a finished product. It should in no way effect me as a player, for testing your gameplay mechanics. Nor should my stats effect anything related to it.

CW is and has been a pre-made playground for some time. That may not always be the case, but for new or casual players kitting out 4 meta mechs with modules is and can be a burden. (I'm not going to address all the "fail" that is Paulconomy here) But for a new player this is a glorious oppurtunity to help "the cause" So they launch, with a bunch of trials and maybe 1-2 decent mechs, built by my seven year old. It ends up being a complete disaster. Now the only people left are competent pre-mades. PGI has effectively created a system that is not inviting to the new player.

I always envision this game differently then it is now. I think my hope for something better makes me keep playing. But in truth the core mechanics of this game are so broken it's hard to keep the dream alive. Who knows maybe the single player battletech game is where I need to put my faith.
See, the way I read what you've posted is you've just contradicted yourself.

You're saying, correctly and I agree with you, that PSR was to eliminate the group carrying affect by scoring on your actual contributions to the team effort.

But then you go on to say that somehow PSR in CW will do what elo was doing by somehow scoring in such a way that you're no longer being scored on your contribution to the team.

Those two concepts seem to be in conflict. If PSR is scoring based off individual performance towards the team's win/loss, then it won't matter if you're grouped, solo, or in CW. The PSR is going to reflect your performance, period.

So including CW into the PSR scoring process seems to enhance the value and accuracy of PSR.

You also ask why PSR would affect CW, and it doesn't. The match making in CW is a 'first come' kind of operation. The first two 12 man groups that are assembled get the drop, regardless of the PSR values of the players. The only things that count are a 240ton or less drop deck, and 12 pilots per side. Once those criteria are met, you're in a match. So, let's take PSR affecting CW off the table.

Now, you're probably thinking that 'some how' in CW your 12 man pre-made is going to 'carry' you to a higher PSR value, and in my mind, I don't think so. Again, PSR is based off your actual contribution towards team efforts, so even if your side wins, UNLESS you actually EARN a score through your efforts that increases your PSR ranking, you're not going to get any kind of bump. If your team is carrying your score is going to reflect that, win, lose, or draw.

Again, it's a non-issue.

#33 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:18 AM

Oh noes, the drama!!

#34 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:19 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 24 August 2015 - 09:56 AM, said:

OMG! Drama Queens Unite!

And folks wonder why PGI do not listen to this Forum as much as this Forum thinks they should? Would you?
Some people panic over change.

Some people are just ******** who like try and get in zingers, adding zero to the conversation at hand.

I wish the later would just shut the **** up.

#35 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:38 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 24 August 2015 - 10:19 AM, said:

Some people panic over change.

And some ppl dont see bad **** when it comes lol

I like this tho

https://www.reddit.c...est_wtf_moment/

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 24 August 2015 - 11:41 AM.

#36 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:52 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 24 August 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

And some ppl dont see bad **** when it comes lol
True, but different doesn't automatically always equal 'bad ****', and in this case, it's not 'bad ****'.

Meh, while Reddit content is entertaining, to paraphrase Obi Won Kanobi - 'You'll never find a more wretched hive of villainy and trolling...'

#37 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:57 AM

View PostSable, on 23 August 2015 - 06:31 PM, said:

I don't know what you guys are freakin out about, i usually do much better in CW than pug queue. If anything this is great news. my PSR is gonna go through the roof.

uh have you played at the high tiers?

PSR through the roof.... not a good thing

#38 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:00 PM

View PostcSand, on 24 August 2015 - 11:57 AM, said:

uh have you played at the high tiers?

PSR through the roof.... not a good thing
I'd like to think I am...

At the moment, all any of us can do is guess (or did they expose it somewhere and I'm just not aware of it yet).

#39 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:06 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 24 August 2015 - 12:00 PM, said:

I'd like to think I am...

At the moment, all any of us can do is guess (or did they expose it somewhere and I'm just not aware of it yet).

I can not tank my score fast enough. It is a sh*t donut up there, with a creamy tryhard filling.

In the group queue, anyways. In the solo queue it is pretty damn good times. My problem is I like to play with 1-2 friends.

I seriously think group of 2 should be allowed in the solo queue, and I used to be totally against that

Edited by cSand, 24 August 2015 - 12:11 PM.

#40 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:11 PM

View PostcSand, on 24 August 2015 - 12:06 PM, said:

I can not tank my score fast enough. It is a sh*t donut up there, with a creamy tryhard filling
Ok what specifically makes you say that? (If you posted it prior to this point, I'm sorry, but, reviewing all those posts while at work would be problematic).

Thank you for noticing that some of us do try hard to win. I don't find that term derogatory at all, and as a matter of fact, find it very complimentary, again, thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users