• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 2,119 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNagelring Academy

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:57 PM

I'm ready to finish my suggestions now.

First of all, I want to quote my friend, Angelic Evil. She is an expert for Clan mechs and weaponry, also Smurfy junkie.
She said this:

More front armor. Like 90-95% front armor. In a support mech that let you take a few hits when you need to. You should be battlefield aware and have teammates to cover your back from lights. But thats just me...

I agree with her, I would add more armor to the front as well. I can understand your thoughts here but it's not a good reason to add so much armor on the rear. You can still watch your results and correct your or my suggestion.

PPC's are bad to use with it especially Clan PPC's. I understand you want to be a little less conspicuous on the battlefield not using lasers but PPC's hit reg is messed plus they deal tons of heat. Personally I'd rather use LPL's. You wont miss as much and with a range module and a target computer the range difference wont be that noticeable either.
(...)
So I think an LPL is like.... 600m. That will pull out to 725ish with module and target computer. Less heat and more dps.

I'm not a big fan of Clan PPC's so I can agree again here. But I will give you a PPC build as well, as an option.

Next. A general rule of thumb is you run with a target computer in LRM Clan mechs and either Clan Active Probe and Artemis or a TAG or something like that when running LRM's. Clan Active Probe is almost necessary if you aren't using TAG. If you are then save the space but you now long range is beyond tag so Clan Active Probe will help more... uhhhh how many LRM5's are you running? If it's two then that's not really enough to do anything even with dual ERPPC (or LPL). I mean a Cicada or something can just about run the same thing for more than 20 tons less. I'd say minimum 4 LRM5's if you wanna actually do damage, otherwise it's just a sniper boat with a couple poking weapons that frankly will barely even piss off a slow medium. Especially if it knows how to spread damage.

Yes, sounds harsh but she is right. I had the same thoughts about the weaponry. It's not something real. Some members might know that I love to use LRM's and I use them with backup weaponry. But I would never suggest to use only two LRM5. The only exception is a light mech but even there it's nearly useless.
I will suggest consistently builds. You can build a very nice sniper or a very nice LRM boat with this Mad Dog. I would not suggest to try both.

Also the MDD has bad arms for weapons, they're low. I rather use them as shields, haha. It makes the thing four times tankier. Perhaps recommend putting both LPL's in one arm so you have a side torso twist incoming fire towards.
(...)
Also putting both LPL's in one arm makes poking easier as well as increases accuracy as there won't be any convergence issues they will always aim at the same spot. I've seen it using arm weapons where if you quick aim the weapons hit both ST's on the other mech, haha. Putting the same arm they will only ever hit where your reticle is.

The Mad Dog isn't known to be a tanky mech. Sure, a sniper doesn't want to have this kind of problems. A sniper mech doesn't need to have brawling qualities. But I like her arguments and I will consider them.

A) LRM build
I want to suggest a build that is similar to my Warhawk. WHK-B
It carries two Large Pulse Laser and two LRM20. The Warhawk has 85 tons so we need to downgrade a bit.

This Mad Dog carries two Large Pulse Laser as well (it's devastating as a backup weapon, as for me it's the main weapon here). And I added two LRM10 launchers and 1260 missiles. If you really like to use the Large Pulser Lasers as main weapon and use LRM's only for support, you can even remove two tons of ammo and use two more DHS.

Maybe you don't like the idea of using two LRM10 launchers and no Artemis but I explained this choice at other places. Artemis is only needed urgently on LRM15 and LRM20 launchers to avoid the terrible spread when shooting enemies on sight. LRM5 and LRM10 don't have this terrible spread. They are working fine without Artemis. And I added Clan Active Probe to help locking enemies.

MDD-PRIME

I would suggest Radar Deprivation or Seimic Sensor module and Target Decay for LRM's.
I would suggest Large Pulse Laser Range and LRM10 cooldown weapon modules.
I would suggest an UAV and Cooldown6 as consumables.

By the way, this is my MDD-Prime: MDD-PRIME

B) Sniper Build

MDD-PRIME

Three ER Large Laser, a targeting computer and a lot of DHS (especially where the lasers are mounted to lower the crit chance) - that's all. You can fire three of those lasers without ghost heat. I would suggest to use two weapon groups nonetheless. I guess that's the best sniper you can get out of a Mad Dog.

By the way, if you are searching for half a ton missing, I increased the leg armor.

C) PPC Build

Three Clan PPC and nothing else (but same equipement as the laser sniper but with less DHS). So you can focus on playing them without a rotten compromise. Two LRM5 in a heavy mech won't make this build better.
MDD-PRIME

Maybe try only two PPC's (in one arm) to make it run cooler and use the other arm as shield arm (as Angelic Evil suggested).
MDD-PRIME

Other advices:

1) I won't suggest too complicated build with more than two different weaponry systems. Two are enough, it makes things simple and you can focus. There is another advantage as well: you can only use two different weapon modules and they shall give a bonus to all weapons possible. Only one weapon system is even better. Not every mech is made for it but sometimes it's a good idea.

2) I am sure you don't own a MDD-Prime only. Think about swapping omnipods or buying others if necessary. I only made builds for Prime omnipods only but as you can see on my Mad Dog, I used different omnipods. I strongly suggest to use this possibility. It's one of the biggest advantages of Clan Mechs. I own them all, at least three variants and I guess I only own one or two that uses the original omnipods only.

If you have any other question concerning this build or if you need any other build for a MDD with different omnipods, let me know.

Edited by Catalina Steiner, 06 April 2016 - 03:58 PM.

#62 IshyOQGX

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:25 AM

I own 3 Orions, my K and V feel like they are missing something.
Could you please rate them?
ON1-K

ON1-V

#63 Catalina Steiner

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:46 PM

I requested the help of the best Orion pilot in the Inner Sphere. Stay tuned for it.

#64 Dettmam

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:10 PM

hahha tkz Catalina. If you say so, I believe! :-)

ok,

About the Orion.

The Orion is the most versatile heavy mech in the IS in my opinion.
You can make any thing with it!

About the K:
I like to use a ST305, gauss (with case, never forget), 4xML and 2SRM6
runs 70KPH. Very good pin point,

About the V:
Dude, just check the quirks! 30% UAC5 jam. go for it!
2xUAC5, 2xSRM6(arms) and 2xML.
to this one there is two options...
to FW I use a STD265 and a lot of UAC5 ammo. To quick drop is ST305

And, try the VA!
2xML, 4xSRM6 and AC20,
with a ST265 it will be slow, I know. But an alpha strike of 81.3, who cares? hahahahah

If you mount it right, the Orion is realy hard to put down...so, prior ammo in the legs (no one hit the orion legs) and if you put ammo in the torsos, use case!

and, to finish!
never, I said NEVER, use LRMs in a Orion! it is blasphemy!
If I find you around in a Orion LRM boat I shoot you myself! ;-)

Edited by Dettmam, 25 April 2016 - 07:11 PM.

#65 Catalina Steiner

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:19 PM

Thanks a lot, Dettmam! Very nice post. :)

Oh Ishy... if you are searching for LRM builds... contact me via black channel. ;)

#66 Totem1

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:49 PM

In response to the Maddog thread I am a little loathe to give you this but here: MDD-PRIME

For quickplay.. drop less ammo and include one or two more heatsinks

Edited by Catalina Steiner, 28 April 2016 - 05:37 AM.

#67 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:58 PM

[REQUEST]
Catalina,
could you please give me some hints to optimize my MAL-MX90 build?

Here it is right now:
MAL-MX90

I am looking for a long range support mech that can - if needed - fight back if the enemy come closer.

Should I use STD engine with the Mauler or it's XL friendly?

Thanks!

#68 Catalina Steiner

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:48 AM

(Answer to invernomuto)

Your build looks decent to be honest. It's long range and this mech can be painful for someone who comes close - I would focus on firing with autocannons in this case.

Certainly I have some other builds in mind. Let's check the quirks first.

Ballistic range: +25%
Ballistic heat generation: -10%
Ballistic velocity: +25%
and
Missile cooldown: +10%
Missile velocity: +10%

There are no laser quirks, so focussing on ballistics only would be a good idea. There are several other builds with lots of ballistic weaponry. Builds 1-3 are ballistics only and there is one last build I want to suggest because I tried it successfully and it is regarding the missile quirks as well (build 4).

What about the engine?
You should focus on standard engines. Maulers don't seem to be XL-friendly. The hardpoints are placed on both sides as well, so you can use the other half of your weapons if you lose one side torso.

1) Five AC/5 version: MAL-MX90
AC/5 only, CASE for ammo, STD285, adjusted armor for side torsos and arms

If you want to use the meta build: MAL-MX90

2) Six AC/5 version: MAL-MX90
Six AC/5, STD250, reduced armor everywhere, meta build.

3) Protons Mauler: MAL-MX90
Three AC/5, two UAC/5, STD270
You should think about adjusting the rear side and center torso armor if you aren't very good in protecting your back.

I asked Proton for this build, I saw him driving this one and he did a lot of kills and damage with it. He told me that "it's slightly better than five AC/5 as long as UAC/5's don't jam but it requires more facetanking because of constant UAC/5 fire". You should test if this meets your playstyle. He told me as well that he suggests a five AC/5 build for an easier playing.

4) For the sake of completeness: LRM's with insane machine gun power
MAL-MX90
Two LRM20 with Artemis, two Medium Pulse Laser, six Machine Guns, STD320

Compared to the builds above it looks crappy but I had awesome matches with it. You are softening the armor of the enemies until the end of the match and when your LRM ammo runs out, you are picking off the cored enemies with the pulse lasers and six insane machine guns.

#69 IshyOQGX

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:29 PM

Wow, thanks for the fast replies on my Orions! Those seem like good builds to me. When I play right, the thing can tank alphas from an Atlas, return fire and destroy it.
P.S. I absolutely despise LRM boats and I will not have them sully the chosen 'Mech of Kerensky.

#70 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:37 AM

Thanks for the answer Catalina. I'll go for the 5 AC/5 Dakka power :)

#71 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 585 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 06:45 PM

I see you pilot Battlemasters.

But where's your 3Ms? No love for the best variant? :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users