1142 replies to this topic

#1041 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:48 PM

In the past week, passed from : - good hard match (sometime a stomp but managing to do something)
- to anything can happen in some kind of headless chicken bad games (win or loss)

Look like i found myself with a majority of tier 5 pilot most of the time in the last week...

Yes i know that tier mean more or less nothing, i'm an average pilot and still Tier 1. But at least i'm shooting on the enemy, pushing and working to get the job done.

At least the Tier system manage to discriminate pilot that doesn't know how to play from people who know what they are doing but are not necessarily good pilot.

I found myself in drop that were totally lost on the battlefield this week, it was horrible. Some pilots were trying to carry the drop but you know... you need more than two or three guy over 300pts damage to win...

Edited by Damnedtroll, 16 September 2017 - 05:16 PM.

#1042 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:39 AM

Matchmaking is a mess currently, almost as if players from all tiers get thrown into the same match.

The matches I'm getting lately make me feel like I'm being thrown in with a bunch of random people of wildly varying skill. There is no consistency.

One match everyone works together nicely, the next half the team runs off on their own dying within the first three minutes, then there's the statwarriors hiding in a ditch instead of pushing and then you get that one player on the other team who insta-deletes you around a corner before you even see them.

Overall the experience is getting rather infuriating.

(I'm T3 btw)

#1043 TheFallOfTheReaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 339 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:03 PM

Tldr to those two above, mwo as intended, gg pgi, common Chris lets see some non nda answers here :3

#1044 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:18 PM

I have had some great close games lately.
Wipes still happen.
But it feelz like the close games are happening more often.

#1045 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:06 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 18 September 2017 - 06:18 PM, said:

I have had some great close games lately.
Wipes still happen.
But it feelz like the close games are happening more often.

Returned back to normal yesterday, just bad timing maybe played when they are not a lot of players.

#1046 Brother MEX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 407 posts
  • LocationRANDIS IV

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:18 AM

View PostExilyth, on 17 September 2017 - 06:39 AM, said:

Matchmaking is a mess currently, almost as if players from all tiers get thrown into the same match.

The matches I'm getting lately make me feel like I'm being thrown in with a bunch of random people of wildly varying skill. There is no consistency.

One match everyone works together nicely, the next half the team runs off on their own dying within the first three minutes, then there's the statwarriors hiding in a ditch instead of pushing and then you get that one player on the other team who insta-deletes you around a corner before you even see them.

Overall the experience is getting rather infuriating.

(I'm T3 btw)

I asume the reason for this is that the TIER was determinded by LUCK until now Posted Image
I asume that winning is the most important factor for rising in TIER, and if you have the LUCK to play with good teammates you rise, no matter how BAD you are Posted Image

Edited by Brother MEX, 20 September 2017 - 10:22 AM.

#1047 Pineapple Salad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 142 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:16 AM

Honestly I haven't seen much change in match quality nor wait times since the change back to tighter parameters, which is telling that the PSR tier system is fundamentally broken.

#1048 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:04 PM

View PostBrother MEX, on 20 September 2017 - 10:18 AM, said:

I asume that winning is the most important factor for rising in TIER

Not so
Doing well on a loss and getting = or > PSR on a loss is what makes you go up in Tier.
As a loss is the only time you drop PSR.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 22 September 2017 - 04:05 PM.

#1049 VXJaeger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:24 AM

Tier system is totally useless, T1 is full of potatoes whom should be in T3 or T4.

#1050 nukedog

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:17 AM

Matchmaker is really broken... I'm tier 3 and I had a match against RoBoTcOrpSe, he's ranked #30 on the leaderboard. I'm around 6k!
Lots of 12-0 matches tonight.

#1051 Tourresh

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:28 PM

All I can say is that my quickplay matches are typically good fun, even if one side is fairly dominant. I usually at least get to meaningfully contribute. Trying to play group matches with even a single buddy who is only one tier higher involves us getting cored in less than half of our usual lifespan. Coupled with the long wait times playing group gives us a third of the c-bills and a quarter of the actual playtime than we usual get just soloing. Because of these things it is extremely difficult to get friends to try this game out and even veterans will sometimes prefer to just quickplay than play with a friend, which should never be the case.

Edited by Tourresh, 25 September 2017 - 07:29 PM.

#1052 nukedog

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:08 PM

I'd love to drop with my group, but the guys who play the most left.
Everyone does better in a group that communicates and works together. But matchmaker is either broke, off or there's not enough players to allow matchmaking by tier. Is there a list with the number of active players?

#1053 FiveOClock

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:44 PM

I constantly get put in group matches against people who are top players and squads. But I don't think you need to change your code. Most of the problem games have the same small group of players showing up every time. When those people are on and actively exploiting your code everyone quits playing early. When those people are not online there is not a single MM complaint.

Your real problem is a group of less than 10 people who are constantly exploiting your match maker. If you check your top players you will see a small group of top players who constantly get into matches against beginners. Ban them for 6 months. If you send a message that exploiting your code is not acceptable you will be amazed how fast your matchmaker improves without doing anything.

#1054 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:17 PM

I am finding Quickplay to be better as a tier 3 player.

Faction Play is very uneven when you drop solo as the matchmaker usually pools all the solo players and groups of 2-3 into one team versus a 9 to 12 man team. Add this to the lopsided balance of the Siege maps overwhelmingly favoring defense, since you just group-camp near the cannon and focus fire anyone turning a corner, and you really have very little enjoyment most of the time.

It's not the loss that removes the fun, it's that you spend a half hour getting focused for 10 seconds by 5-7 players. I would suggest a lot less Siege games or match-up soloists and small teams more evenly. Possibly only use Siege for 8 to 12 man teams on both sides and otherwise use Skirmish, Domination, or Assault or Incursion. This removes any need for the matchmaker to do the balancing since unbalanced teams are not playing Siege. Siege is much too weighted to the defending team.

Edited by Lightfoot, 02 October 2017 - 08:17 PM.

#1055 daPaule

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:52 AM

View Postnukedog, on 24 September 2017 - 12:17 AM, said:

Matchmaker is really broken... I'm tier 3 and I had a match against RoBoTcOrpSe, he's ranked #30 on the leaderboard. I'm around 6k!
Lots of 12-0 matches tonight.

Isn't that working as intended as it should be T1-T3 ?

View PostLightfoot, on 02 October 2017 - 08:17 PM, said:

Faction Play is very uneven when you drop solo as the matchmaker usually pools all the solo players and groups of 2-3 into one team versus a 9 to 12 man team. Add this to the lopsided balance of the Siege maps overwhelmingly favoring defense, since you just group-camp near the cannon and focus fire anyone turning a corner, and you really have very little enjoyment most of the time.

You know there's no matchmaking in CW and you've been warned about that.

#1056 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:11 PM

Match maker does notwork? It seem it uses any tier now not +-1

#1057 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:54 PM

View PostVlad Striker, on 10 October 2017 - 01:11 PM, said:

Yep Nearly every single game i'm in i'm seeing T4 and T5 players. I must stress that's not necessarily a bad thing as some new player might not of picked up bad habits like nascar and parking right behind a friendly as he pokes. (Which incidentally has got noticeably worse since the change).

The whole one tier either way thing is clearly utter ******** or broken. Knowing PGI's track record for incompetence probably both.

Funnily enough the best games i ever had were back with the old ELO system and closed/open beta which i still stand by saying worked MUCH MUCH better than this PSR crap.

#1058 A sebaceous cyst

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:40 AM

The whole system of rating is flawed and as a result match making, no matter how "tight" PGI makes it will continue to be flawed.As long as PGI keeps rating 100 damage wins as a gain in PSR and 400 or less damage loses (even if that person had top damage, most kills and lots of other stats like in formation, spotting/scouting, component destruction, ect) as a reduction in PSR you will continue to get these huge variations in skill levels. Your PSR should be based primarily on how well you do on average in matches you play because that is your performance metric...weather or not you win or loose is influenced more by the other 23 people in your match than by you (because 23>1 or 1/24 is less than 23/24). The other issue that PGI (to the best of my knowledge) is still not paying any attention to is what mechs the 24 people pilot when the matchmaker builds a game...and that too can have a huge influence on the outcome of a match. Sure ideally you would balance both sides to have the same number of lights, mediums, heavies and assaults but an 80t assault is not equal to 100t assault...but as far as PGIs match maker seems to go it is. So the bottom line is the Matchmaker, as it is, will NOT create balanced matches most of the time because the premise it is using to build matches is flawed...and people have been telling PGI that since they made the switch to this PSR system. Does PGI listen? Nope, they just keep insisting they know the game better than the players

Edited by A sebaceous cyst, 18 October 2017 - 12:10 PM.

#1059 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:36 AM

Just give the variations a try and see what the majority of players are happy with by using a log in forced vote system rather than just those people willing to share their views on the forum boards. PGI would then have a mandate to put a longer trial period in before reverting or dabbling with other changes.

#1060 oemuemoepoep

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:44 PM

View PostVlad Striker, on 10 October 2017 - 01:11 PM, said:

Simple answer: if there is only 6 Tier2 Players and 8 Tier 1 Players searching, you will get whatever else is searching right now. With the near pathetic amount of active players total, that's the outcome. You can easily see that at some times when you have the same 8+ Players in your games for 2hrs+ straight.

View PostA sebaceous cyst, on 18 October 2017 - 04:40 AM, said:

Sure ideally you would balance both sides to have the same number of lights, mediums, heavies and assaults but an 80t assault is not equal to 100t assault...but as far as PGIs match maker seems to go it is. ...

A 100t Mech is not necessarily equal to another 100t Mech either (e.g. King Crab Vs. Kodiak or Annihilator). Actually a Banshee (95t) or Battlemaster (85t) is potentially superior to a King Crab (100t). So trying to enforce equal tonnage on both teams will noticeably increase wait time while having nearly zero positive effect.

That's before considering the (troll or ****) build and the players abilities.

Edited by oemuemoepoep, 22 October 2017 - 04:47 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users