Gameplay General

71 replies to this topic

#21 Evan20k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 491 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:43 PM

I don't think I've ever seen you ingame, or at least I don't recall seeing you. My memory is terribad, so who knows?

#22 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:47 PM

Damn purple chicken you' re going to get it when I see you next. :P

#23 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:13 PM

View PostKyocera, on 03 September 2015 - 04:18 PM, said:

I don't mind heavy info on the comms, as long as it's clear and concise. Probably the best commer I ever dropped with was Colonel Tonberry. Had a professional US army type voice and everything he relayed was clear and relevant to our match.

It's a shame we don't hear more voice comms though. Too many pilots tend to wander aimlessly doing their own thing but they will follow the team if they're given clear instructions.

I'd get my headset on but I don't think the internet needs another angry Brit around :mellow:

I enjoy the surprise of dropping in a pug with Tonberry, and also my man Novakaine. Both have a good idea of what it takes to get the puggies to at least sort of mesh, and have enough time in the game to know how to build a mech out for a support role and manage to fight and observe/command well.

Most important, both keep things light and are gentlemen to their teams, and the enemy. Always a pleasure.

Edited by Eldagore, 03 September 2015 - 07:34 PM.

#24 Duke ramulots

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 164 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:27 PM

I came here to say I have no idea who this guy is but then I watched that youtube video and was like, "Oh yeah, we dropped like five games together the other day and his comms were what helped us win 4 of those 5 games".

So /salute to you Bottomline.

#25 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:35 PM

A Marik I lol'd :huh: :blink: :unsure:

#26 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:25 AM

The bottom line? I've not played with him. But this goes back to why I mute coms and am going back to turning text off. Nothing worth hearing or reading anymore.

Edited by Kjudoon, 04 September 2015 - 12:26 AM.

#27 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:15 AM

@OP

No offense or anything but when you say that you've played with every player out there I can only tell you that I've never seen you in any of my games. That can be due to different time zones and is mostly irrelevant, but it'll help me prove my point, as I think that you've never actually played with higher-skilled players if you think that higher skilled-players "hide behind lines".

First of all, to "stat-pad", i.e. to do more damage you actually have to face the enemy more, because all weapons except for LRMs require you to have LoS on the enemy, which in turn means they have LoS on you. If somebody is capable of having less face time with the enemy and still do more damage than others on his team, that isn't hiding, that is the proper use of his mobility, terrain and good positioning. However it still means actively seeking that face time and doing damage. I do it all the time, however, when I realize that I am the only one who does that I will stop and position myself "behind lines" as you say, because I'd rather have clueless individuals in front of me and between me and the enemy team than "tank" for them when they can't do anything useful and get shot in the back on top of that.

That is the nature of PUGs. I don't know (in many if not most cases) just how skilled some of the players on my team are, so I'll just assume the worst and work from there. When you are trying to scout, flank and trade fire and the rest of your team basically stands in one spot doing nothing it is a sure sign that such assumption is correct.

However, when somebody stands behind his teammates it doesn't mean he is that high-skilled player. The end game report does show the damage done, but alas it doesn't show how much time each player lived. You can have an Atlas who lived for 2 mins and did 300 dmg and you can have an Atlas who lived 12 mins and did 300 dmg. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that the difference is huge. Same way with all other mechs. It does NOT matter which mech you were in, if you are the last one to die and you didn't do at least 600-700 damage then all you did was hiding behind teammates being useless.

It really is very simple. If you don't actively trade fire and trade away your armor when somebody else in your team does you will lose.

The other thing (obviousely) are your mech builds. If you have SRMs as a main weapon and generally in a brawler mech you have to be in front of others on your team and closer to the enemy, and visa versa there is no reason for someone in a mech with Gauss+PPCs etc. to be up front. Now the difference between a skilled player and a hiding noob becomes obvious when those brawler mechs up front start taking damage.

A skilled player in a long range mech will always support his brawlers when they engage the enemy, and when he sees that brawlers on his team are starting to lose too much armor and internals he WILL come up front and begin "tanking" himself in order to keep his teammates alive and let more mechs do more damage. On the contrary a baddie in a long range mech will just let his brawler teammates die and then when he suddenly realized that his fully fresh mech is torn to shreds by 4-5 badly beaten up enemies he will proceed to calling his team names and saying just how bad they are when in reality it was his fault they died sooner than necessary in the first place.

Even when a certain somebody on your team plain and simple suicides charging into the entire enemy team, that still gives you (and everyone else as well) a perfect opportunity to take out some enemies as well while they are busy killing the suicider.

All in all there always will be cowards, but those are easy to tell by the end game damage report. When a guy died last and did 300 dmg he is simply a hiding coward, but when a guy died last and did 1000 dmg it only means he was using his mech properly.

That said ... you can claim all you want, but if your W/L is 3.0 (or 75% wins as you claim) it only means you nearly always play with a large premade. You can NOT achieve W/L of 3 in solo queue, thus I have to very much doubt a lot of what you said.

#28 Duke ramulots

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 164 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:21 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 04 September 2015 - 12:25 AM, said:

The bottom line? I've not played with him. But this goes back to why I mute coms and am going back to turning text off. Nothing worth hearing or reading anymore.

It must be hard on your sinuses to be up on that high of a pedestal.

#29 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:31 AM

Less is often more. I don't need a constant carebear announcer and animator who is telling me what to do. This military style command and the follow me attitude has made me leave my old unit. I don't want to offend anyone, but i prefer teammates that actually know what they do without constant voip chatter.

#30 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:33 AM

i havent analyzed your tactics, they may be good - no clue.

i'd mute your comm though. tbh

"this is america buddy?"

you're lucky you still had your legs, you can't get a lot more grating than that

#31 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:34 AM

View PostDuke ramulots, on 04 September 2015 - 01:21 AM, said:

It must be hard on your sinuses to be up on that high of a pedestal.

It's the clothes pin on it from being so low in the muck.

#32 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:34 AM

i dont mind if you say regroup, e7, dire on choke... whatever -
the way you're using comms aint good

if you speak to me like i am your subordinate when we haven't even been introduced then don't expect good things to follow - people join the game to play, not to join the military or have lee ermey yell and spit on their face

i'd rather someone spam chat with coords or intel on enemy

Edited by Mazzyplz, 04 September 2015 - 02:00 AM.

#33 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:44 AM

What good is it to try and coordinate with groups that can't fight, won't cap but can potato with the best of them?

#34 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:14 AM

Bottom Line thanks

#35 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:23 AM

Personally, I always enjoy when people try to VOIP-lead... If I can understand their orders, I usually try to follow them, since that, for me, means that the person leading has a plan that involves something more tactical than wondering aimlessly and trying to shoot things.

I wish more people would do this.

I used to do it before my old headset died, and the new headset I bought now has a problem with VOIP, so it simply does not work.. People don't hear half of my sentance, so I just stopped..

I believe VOIP/TS-organisation is the thing that makes the difference between average and great teams..

Bottom Line is... well.. BottomLine is right. :P

Edited by Vellron2005, 04 September 2015 - 02:25 AM.

#36 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:23 AM

I ended up running with a bunch of BWC on a map recently, and I think he was their drop-caller. It was a good match, frankly. Very organized. OP seems like a decent fellow.

#37 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:19 AM

View PostMycrus, on 03 September 2015 - 04:39 PM, said:

Or the more apt term... puggie commander.

I believe the correct term would be 'professional pug herder'.

#38 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:25 AM

View PostKyocera, on 03 September 2015 - 04:18 PM, said:

I don't mind heavy info on the comms, as long as it's clear and concise. Probably the best commer I ever dropped with was Colonel Tonberry. Had a professional US army type voice and everything he relayed was clear and relevant to our match.

I've dropped with him a couple of times (solo queue,quite by chance) and he was a good and willing leader.

I can't think of any other names to praise offhand (I've a terrible memory for names) but since PSR I do feel like I've encountered more people on VOIP willing to co-ordinate the team. It's been very enjoyable, even when it hasn't worked! So bravo to those of you who have the willingness and ability to be nice and friendly pug-generals.

#39 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:35 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 04 September 2015 - 01:44 AM, said:

What good is it to try and coordinate with groups that can't fight, won't cap but can potato with the best of them?

At least someone tries.

#40 Destro1000

• PipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSpace... The Final Frontier

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:33 AM

View PostSaxie, on 03 September 2015 - 04:06 PM, said:

I have seen him in game once, and I have seen him on Youtube. He's with BWC. Frankly I dislike his approach.

Reference:

He does tend to override the com. Also some of the calls are pointless to have on a comm do we need to know Charlie is being suppressed? Anyone shooting at him already knows this. I can see why you would have gotten trolled in game.

With that said, I'm glad that people have the desire to lead drops, there are not that many out there.

After watching that video I think he should voice future tutorials

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users