Alpine 2 Will Look More Like Mw2 Maps. Thank You!

Maps

65 replies to this topic

#1 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:48 PM

Remember this thread, you filthy casuals?

http://mwomercs.com/...ior-landscapes/

Russ has explained that Alpine 2 will revisit some of the old school look from MW2 maps, with big open areas. I have been waiting for this since forever and I'm extremely pleased!

Leopard dropships and huge, open vistas, baby, YEAH!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:49 PM

Huge open vistas for sniping the crap out of people. :ph34r:

#3 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:55 PM

No, the first mech game i played was mech warrior 3... But that one also had huge open areas.. I remember one of the early matches were you only have your bushwacker, and all of a sudden you are getting sniped by Puma's with ERPPC's..

#4 fat4eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 491 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:55 PM

As long as they break up the openness with rolling hills and small villages, I'm ok with it. I don't want a sniper-only map.

#5 Anarcho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 538 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:56 PM

Lrms? Lrms...

#6 Lydialeera

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSlightly left of sane

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:04 PM

View Postfat4eyes, on 10 September 2015 - 04:55 PM, said:

As long as they break up the openness with rolling hills and small villages, I'm ok with it. I don't want a sniper-only map.

View PostAnarcho, on 10 September 2015 - 04:56 PM, said:

Lrms? Lrms...

Just remember folks, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Also, the reason that MW2 had giant open areas was because most computers of the day couldn't handle much else.

#7 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:14 PM

Why does PGI insist on replacing maps when they can just add new ones? :angry:

#8 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:18 PM

Alpine was bad 'cause it had not enough clear terrain?

Posted Image

#9 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:06 PM

The problem with Alpine isn't that there was too much cover. It was because there was One Hill To Rule Them All. Fighting in almost every other part of the map was fun. I really don't see how flat barren landscapes will make the game better.

#10 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:23 PM

View PostDavers, on 10 September 2015 - 06:06 PM, said:

The problem with Alpine isn't that there was too much cover. It was because there was One Hill To Rule Them All. Fighting in almost every other part of the map was fun. I really don't see how flat barren landscapes will make the game better.

Well I imagine they're redoing the map to be more balanced like those other areas you mention. That'd be the true style of MechWarrior maps that I'd be hoping for anyway.

I think comparing it to MW2 might be a bit far though. I think LL or MW4 maps might be better comparisons.

#11 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:34 PM

View PostDingo Red, on 10 September 2015 - 06:23 PM, said:

Well I imagine they're redoing the map to be more balanced like those other areas you mention. That'd be the true style of MechWarrior maps that I'd be hoping for anyway.

I think comparing it to MW2 might be a bit far though. I think LL or MW4 maps might be better comparisons.

Unfortunately PGI used MW2 as the comparison. :P

Well, I like what they did with River City and Forest Colony. I'm gonna give them the benefit of doubt on this one, at least until I see what they do to Caustic.

#12 Viges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:37 PM

View PostGoose, on 10 September 2015 - 05:18 PM, said:

Alpine was bad 'cause it had not enough clear terrain?

obviously duh :lol: :rolleyes:

#13 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:45 PM

We need more cover on alpine. As it stands its LRM heaven like caustic and has candy mountain.

#14 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:04 PM

So... their solution to an idiotic map with only one terrain feature of note (the hill at I9) is to remove the terrain features?

Is PGI even aware of what the current meta is in the game? I'll give them a hint - it involves sniping with pinpoint weapons at maximum range. Which means a map decided with little cover is going to be dull snipe-fest with no real strategy or tactics.

Idiocy. All they had to do was trim down that stupid I9 hill so the rest of the map could be used. Instead, we're going to get a icy wasteland with nothing but Gauss and laser vomit running amok.

#15 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:08 PM

View PostDavers, on 10 September 2015 - 06:34 PM, said:

Well, I like what they did with River City and Forest Colony. I'm gonna give them the benefit of doubt on this one, at least until I see what they do to Caustic.

Caustic can just go away.....I dont even think ill like it after a redo....

#16 TwentyOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 477 posts
  • LocationI pay more to use less water. Cali.

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:18 PM

I wish we could get another map that brawling and flanking and doing ANYTHING BUT GAUSS AND LASERS didn't get **** on like HPG

#17 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:22 PM

View PostTwentyOne, on 10 September 2015 - 07:18 PM, said:

I wish we could get another map that brawling and flanking and doing ANYTHING BUT GAUSS AND LASERS didn't get **** on like HPG

I wish we had a Mechwarrior game that was actually about heat management and actually skilled piloting of the mech, over just spamming the same boring meta builds at each other.

#18 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:57 PM

View PostDavers, on 10 September 2015 - 06:34 PM, said:

I'd be willing to bet a significant amount that Russ has never actually played MW2. ^_^

View Postoldradagast, on 10 September 2015 - 07:04 PM, said:

So... their solution to an idiotic map with only one terrain feature of note (the hill at I9) is to remove the terrain features?

Is PGI even aware of what the current meta is in the game? I'll give them a hint - it involves sniping with pinpoint weapons at maximum range. Which means a map decided with little cover is going to be dull snipe-fest with no real strategy or tactics.

Idiocy. All they had to do was trim down that stupid I9 hill so the rest of the map could be used. Instead, we're going to get a icy wasteland with nothing but Gauss and laser vomit running amok.

I think you're going to find sniping on maps like the one Russ described (which isn't going to be flat as MW2, he did describe it in more detail) is not going to be as viable as you think it's going to be. :lol:

Edited by Dingo Red, 10 September 2015 - 07:59 PM.

#19 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:59 PM

I'm sure if people make enough noise they'll bring back some of the old maps. It's not like once they pull them from rotation they're gone forever.

I hope...

#20 BearFlag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 374 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:59 PM

Re-doing Alpine? Why? It's a decent map. It's only failing may be that it's a little too open, VERY little. Maybe make the hill of death less distinct. But Alpline, Tourmaline and Valley Network are classic combos of breakup and openness. These new maps, Forest Colony in particular, are cluttered, snaggy and foggy and all in ways that do not setup good mech battles.

PGI took the wrong approach to map dynamism. Destructible terrain should have been a low priority. What was needed was programmable variety in variable drop points, variable base and collector locations, variable exclusion zones, releasable exclusion zones. Just these would add huge variety to otherwise "stale" maps. You could get a lot more mileage out of Alpine if the base wasn't ALWAYS behind the mountain of death. Consider:

1) Six, for example, possible drop points arranged at sixty degrees of separation around the map periphery and...
2) dropping mechs together, not scattered across two kilometers.

The whole map would get played over the course of several matches.

PGI said they're getting positive feedback on Forest Colony. From whom? That map is a clutter disaster which singly convinced me to stop driving lights. It incorporates all the lessons learned from previous map complaints. Unfortunately, the lessons were of what not to do.

Snags. It took forever to get rid of the silly statues in old River City. PGI then promptly doubled down on snagginess with Viridian. Stumps you can go though or can't, stumps you can go over or can't, branches you can walk right through or can't. Viridian also introduced stairs that are stairs and stairs that aren't stairs.

Ground cover plants. Useless and abundant on Forest. Much of it is taller than my Locusts. If it obscures vision and nothing else, it is game irrelevant and should not be there.

Trees. Yeah, I know, it's "Forest" Colony. Still, we didn't learn from Taiga. There are too many of them. This is where BT ground infantry would be fighting not lumbering ambush magnets.

Night. People loved River City Night so much PGI decided to bring it back in the form of dusk and dawn transitions. Thanks.

Pea Soup. By this time Frozen City should be the last relic of the pea soup atmospherics infatuation. But no. It was initially so bad in Viridian they "had" to tone it down. Old River City was detested for its areas of thick, screen-washing smoke/haze. Forest Colony has it thick enough to cut with a knife at transitions. There should be only two types of atmospheric hazes. One, a light effect to simulate distance - but never obscure. Two, smoke columns (NOT area effects) which should block vision. Really, why build a pretty map and then wash it out with fog??

The result of all this is confused, unconventional fighting on Forest. If you stop for a second in a light you may get cored by an unseen and unseeable enemy. A LOT of blind fire with or without instrumentation goes on. Just watch guys blast away at a hillside because they've got lock on red behind the hill. ECM is the OP weapon on Forest.

Generally, mech battles are direct-fire, I-see-you-you-see-me fighting. If someone gets the drop on you, you know you can spin around and see him slinking behind a corner - or worse, staring you down. The reason that many dislike LRMs is because they're the only indirect fire weapon in the game. All other weapons require exposure and possibility of counter-fire. Not on Forest. He may be a thousand or two hundred meters away. But when you spin around to the fire direction, nothing. Trees, foliage, fog and ECM. Better move.

The point to this long post is to remind PGI that I'm here to fight mechs, not maps. The trend towards cloistered maps is a bad one. Forest is a beautiful map. It's not a good mech battle map. Alpine is good map. Don't mess with too much.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users