So We Are Getting A Cicada As Part Of The 2 Year Anniversary.....

95 replies to this topic

#21 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:57 AM

I love my 3M and X5, and the thought of a jumping Cicada makes me very happy indeed. A fast 'Mech that can achieve orbit and carry a useful weapons load while doing it? Yes please!

I suspect I'm going to wind up with a Wubcada like a high-flyin' bat outta hell.

#22 Dulahan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 361 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:03 PM

View PostTarogato, on 11 September 2015 - 10:57 AM, said:

I'd hedge your bets, though. The rebalance is hitting PTS today and we might have completely different quirks on Cicadas.

From what I understand in the thread in General? Weapons Quirks are gone... period.

That could have a huge effect on Cicadas. Alas poor Wubcada, I knew thee well. :(

Actually, PLs are my favorite weapons, playstyle wise. I'm just bad enough at aiming Ballistics are not my friend. But alsobad at holding on target, so having good Wub is great because that moment to correct is usually all I need. Otherwise I scan all over the place or even miss if my mouse sensitivity is too low, I just can't find the right balance.

Anyways, quirks. the two I've seen in the Jumpcada thread makes it sound like we're getting EXTREMELY maneuverable mechs at least. That's kind of scary too, as it will mean re-learning how to move around in them as well. Lots of habits to unlearn as far as what I can do, for good and ill.

#23 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:07 PM

View PostRedlineHunter, on 11 September 2015 - 05:58 AM, said:

I'd say pick up a cbill variant and try them out.

He doesn't need to though, he said he is getting a 3F so he could wait to try it then.

View Postjss78, on 11 September 2015 - 06:35 AM, said:

I hadn't thought about how crazy the jump distance must be. The VND-1AA already jumps 70 m with six Class IV JJ's. CDA-3F gets eight, and weighs five tons less. 100 m +?

8JJs may not be a thing though, 8JJs were not worth it on the Panther 10K, it gets by fine with 4 and I saw no difference using more than 4. Seems to be like that with all JJs, whatever is the highest weight for each JJ Class does worse than the lower weights.

View PostDulahan, on 11 September 2015 - 10:45 AM, said:

EDIT: And while he makes the point the Jenner is basically the same loadout. The armor difference is tremendous somehow. It's the only reason I can think of for why I just plain cannot play a Jenner to save my life, but can rock the casbah in a Cicada with the same loadout.

While Cicada armor is better, Jenners (until now) have JJs where current Cicada don't. How you use JJs makes a difference.

#24 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:07 PM

View PostDulahan, on 11 September 2015 - 12:03 PM, said:

From what I understand in the thread in General? Weapons Quirks are gone... period.

That could have a huge effect on Cicadas. Alas poor Wubcada, I knew thee well. :(

Actually, PLs are my favorite weapons, playstyle wise. I'm just bad enough at aiming Ballistics are not my friend. But alsobad at holding on target, so having good Wub is great because that moment to correct is usually all I need. Otherwise I scan all over the place or even miss if my mouse sensitivity is too low, I just can't find the right balance.

Anyways, quirks. the two I've seen in the Jumpcada thread makes it sound like we're getting EXTREMELY maneuverable mechs at least. That's kind of scary too, as it will mean re-learning how to move around in them as well. Lots of habits to unlearn as far as what I can do, for good and ill.

The quirks helped the wubcada, but it was still viable even before their advent. Might have to tone down a couple of the MPLs into regular MLs, but up the engine and add more DHS instead.

#25 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:10 PM

The Cicada is out and out my favourite and best performing mech in all its variants bar the 3C which is just too much of a one-trick pony for my tastes.

Recommended chassis to level - 3M (ECM goodness) and 2B (as long as the mpl quirks are in place it is a mid range monster)that way when you get the Jumpcada you will already have the two with basic skills. If you want a third (for C-bills not MC) then just get the 2A as it's a perfectly fine mech with 6 mls, then you can have them already elited by the time the jumpcada arrives :)

Good hunting!

#26 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:12 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 11 September 2015 - 12:07 PM, said:

8JJs may not be a thing though, 8JJs were not worth it on the Panther 10K, it gets by fine with 4 and I saw no difference using more than 4. Seems to be like that with all JJs, whatever is the highest weight for each JJ Class does worse than the lower weights.

medium mech JJs did get buffed rather well with the advent of the Shadowcat. So though 8 may be unnecessary. I expect this will be the new make to break into orbit. The SHC can already (or almost) match the 12 JJ spider, and it comes with 6. The 3F will be able to slap 8 on.

#27 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:51 PM

View PostTom Sawyer, on 11 September 2015 - 05:06 AM, said:

I will be honest. Never bothered with the Cicada.

So which 2 versions would you recommend to master? There is the sale on the X-5 at the moment. Worth 1500 MC?

Or maybe 2 of the other variants for C-BIlls.

Thank you in advance for helpful input!

Cicada is an acquired taste. Not OP or anything but fills a very interesting niche. Poke like an annoying 2 year old.

X5 has NICE energy Quirks...but only 4E. 5E would be OP. I refer 1LPL+3ML or 2-3ERLL if you snipe...at 810m. 4MPL works. 4ML+SRMs work but i sux with SRM brawling. 4ML is...underpowered but heat-neutral and you can poke at range with a short duration, 'less is more' for some i suppose.

B is for Wubs. Likely the best variant. Wub hard. Wub often.

A is for 6ML...borng but the quirks are nice. Duration and heat being key.

M has ECM but, meh.

C is the PPC sniper but only 1E. Some roll 1ERPPC+UAC5, others 1ERPPC and 4MG.

Now we are getting the REBALANCE soon, so...who the hell knows for sure.

But Cicadas have treated me well so far. Just dont brawl in them. 'Annoying Fire Support' is kinda how i use them in Pugs.

Good Luck.

#28 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:11 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 11 September 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

Indeed. The 2B is far and away the best CDA now. 340 is overkill on the engine, 300 is the CDA sweetspot, though.

@OP: 2B and 3M would be my clear choices. The 2A is so-so, the 3C is a stunt and the X-5 is alright but probably not worth $ just to master the others. (I have mastered them all and more FWIW).

+1 on the XL300

Use the saved tonnage on cooling. Win.

With good aim you can just saw components off enemies with the duration quirk.

View PostPS WrathOfDeadguy, on 11 September 2015 - 11:57 AM, said:

I love my 3M and X5, and the thought of a jumping Cicada makes me very happy indeed. A fast 'Mech that can achieve orbit and carry a useful weapons load while doing it? Yes please!

I suspect I'm going to wind up with a Wubcada like a high-flyin' bat outta hell.

Or a 2PPC poptart. Those annoying Novas will get some competition.

#29 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:14 PM

I wouldn't mind a Hero mech of my personal choosing. The Cicada doesn't do it for me, and I really have no use for it as I can't play with it in CW.

#30 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:21 PM

View PostNUJRSYDEVIL, on 11 September 2015 - 01:14 PM, said:

I wouldn't mind a Hero mech of my personal choosing. The Cicada doesn't do it for me, and I really have no use for it as I can't play with it in CW.

Then sell it. You're getting some free mechbays out of that, and about 6million C-Bills from selling the Cicada alone.

#31 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:17 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 11 September 2015 - 01:21 PM, said:

Then sell it. You're getting some free mechbays out of that, and about 6million C-Bills from selling the Cicada alone.

If history is any indication, you won't be able to sell the new Loyalty variants. The "best" PGI has been able to do for people is removing them from their accounts and leaving the mechbays.

I have a personal "don't complain about free stuff" policy.

#32 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:28 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 11 September 2015 - 02:17 PM, said:

If history is any indication, you won't be able to sell the new Loyalty variants. The "best" PGI has been able to do for people is removing them from their accounts and leaving the mechbays.

I have a personal "don't complain about free stuff" policy.

True. Okay, you can still sell all it's equipment for more C-Bills, that's an XL 320 you've got there.

Plus, it's not taking any mechbays from the owner. It comes with it's own mechbay.

#33 SleekHusky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 124 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:36 PM

Cicada 2B is a no brainer, but the 2A is also quite good, on paper its better than the 2B with more range same alpha whatnot, it isnt better than the 2B but its still amazing. The 3M is also good for those that want the ECM but also as a fire support mech. I won't so the "light mech" stuff as well as the 2B or 2A but does pretty well covering teammates with ECM while putting in support fire.

#34 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:27 PM

View PostTarogato, on 11 September 2015 - 08:51 AM, said:

Cicadas are some of my favourite mechs. I love my 3M with just 2x LPL.

I did the math and with all eight jumpjets it should reach a height of 104m, exactly the same as the SDR-5V with twelve jumpjets. It's because they recently buffed all jumpjets in the game except light mechs. Also, the Cicada is the lightest mech in its class, while the Spider isn't. So the Cicada gets more hops per jet. 13.04m each if my calculations are correct. Time will tell. =]

That's a bit f***y...

#35 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:33 PM

4 or 5 mplas is nothing. Thunderbolt-5SS with 7 is the gold standard. Anything else feels weak. The 2A still has better quirks and always will because it sacrifices arm movement. Be rational choose mlas over mplas.

#36 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:39 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 11 September 2015 - 11:33 PM, said:

4 or 5 mplas is nothing. Thunderbolt-5SS with 7 is the gold standard. Anything else feels weak. The 2A still has better quirks and always will because it sacrifices arm movement. Be rational choose mlas over mplas.

The 2B needs the MPLs. They do so much more. Also, you keep forgetting that the TDR is a 65 ton heavy. Whereas the Cicada is a 40 tonner.

The 2A also does MLs much better than the 2B, meaning that the 2B needs the extra edge to be not obsolete.

#37 SilentSooYun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 426 posts
  • LocationTikonov

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:18 PM

Well, until they give us an Assassin, this will do just fine. I always overlooked the Cicada for it's lack of jump jets.

#38 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:10 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 11 September 2015 - 11:33 PM, said:

You are neglecting the duration quirks. 5MPL on the B are ALMOST an AC30 on something that moves 133.7KPH with an XL300.

You dont brawl in that thing, you strike and poke.

#39 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:07 AM

3M for the ecm and speed and the 2B for the bug zapper build, 1 LPL 4 MPL

Already Mastered so a new one will be fun, far as I know I am getting all 3 IS mechs and maybe 1 clan.

Edited by Tractor Joe, 13 September 2015 - 10:10 AM.

#40 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 13 September 2015 - 01:09 PM

Cicadas are a lot of fun and very underrated. NGNG on YouTube has some great videos. Good players can do things with Cicadas that make my jaw drop.

The best Cicadas are the 2A, 2B, and 3M. However since the loyalty Cicada is all energy I could see not playing either the 2A or 2B after I get the 3F. Why play an all energy Cicada when I can play and all energy Cicada that JUMPS!

So if you like variety I think the 3F, 3M, and X5 are the way to go!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users