So We Are Getting A Cicada As Part Of The 2 Year Anniversary.....

95 replies to this topic

#61 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:32 AM

View Post3xnihilo, on 04 October 2015 - 01:52 PM, said:

Ok so I have started telling my wife: I get a new Cicada on Tuesday!

But you have to understand, when I start talking to my wife about a video game I must be pretty excited about it.

(And when my 3 year old son chips in: "the one with jump jets?" You know I have been talkin about it quite a bit.)

Using your children's puppy dog eyes to help manipulate your partner, dare I say you've mastered being a parent, XD.

#62 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:33 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 05 October 2015 - 12:32 AM, said:

Using your children's puppy dog eyes to help manipulate your partner, dare I say you've mastered being a parent, XD.

Only problem is I am way more of a sucker for puppy dog eyes than my wife...so it is probably more like my 3 year old has figured out the art of manipulating his father ;)

Edited by 3xnihilo, 05 October 2015 - 02:34 AM.

#63 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:35 AM

View Post3xnihilo, on 05 October 2015 - 02:33 AM, said:

Only problem is I am way more of a sucker for puppy dog eyes than my wife...so it is probably more like my 3 year old has figured out the art of manipulating his father ;)

With that kind of power, he can nullify your numbers advantage. You're doomed!

#64 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:40 AM

View Post3xnihilo, on 11 September 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:

I have never dropped into a cw match without a cicada (2a or 3m) and they tend to be my best performers in CW...so they are not bad mechs, they just aren't meta and probably aren't for everyone. But, if you like light mechs chances are good you will enjoy Cicadas.

Exactly this - they're like a non-jumping Jenner that can take a hit.

#65 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:17 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 05 October 2015 - 07:35 AM, said:

With that kind of power, he can nullify your numbers advantage. You're doomed!

Given that he is the youngest of my 4 kids I was pretty much doomed from the start. But when he puts his hands up by his shoulders and points his fingers and says "look I'm a jagermech." He pretty much gets what he wants.

View PostDawnstealer, on 05 October 2015 - 07:40 AM, said:

Exactly this - they're like a non-jumping Jenner that can take a hit.

With the new Cicada I will be able to take a 4'cicada drop deck. 2A, 2B, 3M, jumpcada. It will be glorious!

#66 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:43 PM

View PostGrayson Sortek, on 15 September 2015 - 04:04 AM, said:

People might hate me for this, and someone may have already said this, but I don't want to scan through the whole thread...

I run my X-5 with 2xLRM5s and then MLs. I do this for a number of reasons:
  • I'm squishy, don't have JJs, and I'm a rather big target for how much armor I get.
  • Because of 1, it is in my best interest to get at least 1 hit on each enemy 'mech without trading armor so that I get a Kill Assist without messing up the rest of the match. Hence why I have LRMs and can "tag" people at the beginning of the match during the pokey phase.
  • Because of 2 I can help suppress or focus fire with the other LRMs.
  • After the pokey phase and after I've run out of LRM ammo I start doing the standard light strafe runs because I still have fresh armor while everyone else is battered and bruised.
  • It's not all greedy, I stay near the Heavies and Assaults who have LRMs and protect them when the lights come to harass them.
Do this with the X-5 and you will be rolling in the C-Bills, assuming that you are patient enough to just get some hits in near the beginning of the match and you're not trying to instantly murder people.

As for the other variant... I believe the 3M is the ECM capable one? Go with that. Mine is ECM with ERPPC and 3xML... I get to snipe without being rained on, and I still have a decent amount of mid-range defense.

Will have to try that X5. I just dont like it with SRMs. I normally run 1LPL,3ML and poke like an annoying 5 year old.

#67 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:43 PM

Well, just not liking the 3M despite ECM because it has these wonky quirks though they may go away, UAC uses up so much. I do remember seeing someone once use a 3M with a Hunchback-4H loadout of AC10 and 4ML.

I also so where the 2A could be done as a sub for a Hermes II-4K, one LL each side torso then engine and Heat Sinks, upgrade that to better tech.

How good is the Cicada with XL? So far I have used STD in trying to build them.

View PostIraqiWalker, on 11 September 2015 - 12:12 PM, said:

medium mech JJs did get buffed rather well with the advent of the Shadowcat. So though 8 may be unnecessary. I expect this will be the new make to break into orbit. The SHC can already (or almost) match the 12 JJ spider, and it comes with 6. The 3F will be able to slap 8 on.

Scat only does well because it is at the low end of Class 4 JJs.
Any Class of JJs, whatever is at the low end does well. Anything near the high end struggles.
Class 4, 40-45 tons will do wonders. 50-55 tons, the feel of using the same number of JJs is just different. I have Scat, Enforcer and Griffin, the latter two do not move like the Scat even when I have 7 JJs on a Griffin.
Class 5, The Spider seems an exception. 35 tonners like the Panther using 8 JJs just do not move like a Mist Lynx using 6, I know I have tried both.

#68 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:54 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 05 October 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

Any Class of JJs, whatever is at the low end does well. Anything near the high end struggles.
Class 4, 40-45 tons will do wonders. 50-55 tons, the feel of using the same number of JJs is just different. I have Scat, Enforcer and Griffin, the latter two do not move like the Scat even when I have 7 JJs on a Griffin.
Class 5, The Spider seems an exception. 35 tonners like the Panther using 8 JJs just do not move like a Mist Lynx using 6, I know I have tried both.

And the Cicada is in the perfect JJ storm: 40 ton Medium mech, class 4 JJs, mounts 8 of them. I really think this one will achieve the highest altitude yet.

#69 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:44 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 05 October 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

Well, just not liking the 3M despite ECM because it has these wonky quirks though they may go away, UAC uses up so much. I do remember seeing someone once use a 3M with a Hunchback-4H loadout of AC10 and 4ML.

I also so where the 2A could be done as a sub for a Hermes II-4K, one LL each side torso then engine and Heat Sinks, upgrade that to better tech.

How good is the Cicada with XL? So far I have used STD in trying to build them.

Cicadas need xl engines...they always only take damage to the CT so you don't really gain anything with std engines. Try 2 erll 2 ml on the 3M with xl 300 it is pretty good at sniping and poking.

#70 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:55 AM

So, first impressions? What builds are you guys running? I have 5 or 6 hours before I can get home and patched to try it myself :( Help me live vicariously through you!

#71 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:14 AM

Dunno, still patching, just got home myself after going to a nearby borough for free flash drives.

#72 Xbwalker

• PipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 89 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSanta Maria CA

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:30 PM

View Post3xnihilo, on 06 October 2015 - 10:55 AM, said:

So, first impressions? What builds are you guys running? I have 5 or 6 hours before I can get home and patched to try it myself :( Help me live vicariously through you!

Haven't tried mine yet. I am waiting until the hype (and game wait times) goes down. I have killed quite a few in my raven 2X today though. They are quick but imo poorly weaponized. I have been able to go toe to toe with most I have come across so far.

#73 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:12 PM

PopCada:

2ERPPC, 2SL(to push the ERPPC's up) xl300. 2JJ, shave armor.

Sh*ts gonna get real. Im gonna get gud at poptart.

Has decent quirks as well. Leet skills should help the handling/cooling a bit.

Played a little with it in testing grounds before i go back to work. Almost thought of cancelling some clients! There is no hope for my soul.

#74 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:18 PM

I'm thinking an LPL poptart, myself.

#75 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:09 AM

I settled for XL300 LPL 3xML 4xJJ.
Torso mounted weapons combined with poor torso pitch mean that jumping high is fun, but impractical.

The funny thing is, LPL+3ML is my favourite Urbanmech build and I feel I do better in the Urbie ;-)

#76 goatreich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 105 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:26 AM

XL340, 3 ML, 1 ER PPC, 2 JJ. As soon as it is mastered it will boost to 151 Kph. No Light mech will be safe.

#77 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:29 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 06 October 2015 - 01:12 PM, said:

PopCada:

2ERPPC, 2SL(to push the ERPPC's up) xl300. 2JJ, shave armor.

Sh*ts gonna get real. Im gonna get gud at poptart.

Has decent quirks as well. Leet skills should help the handling/cooling a bit.

Played a little with it in testing grounds before i go back to work. Almost thought of cancelling some clients! There is no hope for my soul.

How did you fit 2 erppc and still have space for 2 SL? Hell, how did you fit 2 erppc?!

EDIT: So with a bit of tinkering, I remembered that it's not an omnimech and I can (possibly ill-advisedly) downsize the engine to keep the stock armour values, so people will have to at least sneeze twice at me to kill me

Edited by FreebirthToad18999, 07 October 2015 - 03:46 AM.

#78 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:20 AM

I'm running CDA-3F with the following specs:
  • 2x ER PPC
  • 3x Double heatsink
  • 2x JJ
  • XL280
CDA-3F(L)

Need more testing if i can drop a heatsink in favour of some extra amor or a bigger engine. That would be a trade off between hitting power, survivability through armor or survivability through speed. Getting hit with a cicada is not good at all, maybe less armor forces the user more to stay safe. Or in other words, slightly more amor might give a false sense of security.. in the end speed and distance keeps the cicada in the game, not by the armor that it has.

Edited by Klauwhamer, 07 October 2015 - 04:31 AM.

#79 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:30 AM

First impression: For the purposes of ERPPC sniping, the Shadowcat does it better. I'm still not sure why we keep getting AMS hard points instead of an extra weapon but what do I know?

Edited by NUJRSYDEVIL, 07 October 2015 - 04:33 AM.

#80 levitas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:31 AM

Ppc poptart:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3018aa870381a07

It's low damage, but a big improvement over the er version. Jump jets cut into your dps in a big way, so side peek when you can get away with it. The placement of the ppcs is such that you'll almost always get all 20 damage on the same component.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users