276 replies to this topic

#121 RussianWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:15 AM

All I know is I see none of the people that I used to see often in solo queue.

#122 Balder Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 112 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:30 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 15 September 2015 - 10:17 AM, said:

I look forward to it. It'll be nice to have a goal beyond the 10,000 assists achievement or saving up enough money to buy a billion C-bills worth of modules for my mechs.

The old endgame was about grinding to buy stuff. The new endgame is about earning the right to play the best opponents.

I'm cool with that.

I agree, you only get better by fighting those that are better.

( I'd like to "see" their tier level displayed in match! )

New Achievement Unlocked!!!

Chuck Norris

Destroy Eight Tier One players in a single match!

#123 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:30 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 September 2015 - 11:13 AM, said:

this.

No offense, but ones "Skill level" often is more do to reflexes and in MWO, team support than necessarily great and deep mechanics understanding. Being a great shot, for instance doesn't mean ya know squat about balance issues. From my experience, a rather sizable of comp skilled players simply follow the leader when it comes to Meta, etc.

Mid you, they likely have to at least have some decent tactical skills on top, and are dang good players..... but to assume being a good jock means good grasp of balance? It's pretty funny how many engineers, race car mechanics, etc are rather less than great at driving cars and flying jets....while many of the best pilots and drivers in the world couldn't wrench on and ix their own gear if their life depended on it.

One thing in no way assures the other, and there have been PLENTY of Comp players making really badly thought out arguments as far as balance mechanics. Admittedly, plenty of bad ideas from non-comps too, but how twitchy you are, knowing what the meta is, etc, doesn't equate to knowing how to fix it. Plenty of people without twitch skills and good teams (or hours to devote to play each day) understand what works and why.

I do not know how many ameteur or professional race car drivers you know, but most amateurs work on their own cars and professionals are always learning how to increase their performance. I am pretty sure a professional race car driver knows more about what kind of tires are best in certain track conditions and the benefits of a loose vs a tight suspension than your average motorist.

#124 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:34 AM

View PostDavers, on 15 September 2015 - 11:30 AM, said:

I do not know how many ameteur or professional race car drivers you know, but most amateurs work on their own cars and professionals are always learning how to increase their performance. I am pretty sure a professional race car driver knows more about what kind of tires are best in certain track conditions and the benefits of a loose vs a tight suspension than your average motorist.

but do they know what is needed to make Tire X perform better? No. They simply know which ones work. That's understanding your Meta, not how to balance things. Dale Earnhardt Jr might well be able to wrench on his Chevelle, but that is not the same as designing the race chassis and tuning it from the ground up. there is a reason they have Pit Crew and Car Chiefs, etc to do these things.

Which if you listen to comps, is apparently what being able to shoot good automatically entails, and I call BS on that.

#125 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:37 AM

If I'm any higher than tier 4, it's time to take out my AC/20 urbie, until it changes.

Edited by One Medic Army, 15 September 2015 - 11:37 AM.

#126 Tool Box

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 219 posts
  • LocationDealing with a lance of enemies by myself.

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:43 AM

Social skills still tier 5

Edited by Tool Box, 15 September 2015 - 11:44 AM.

#127 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:47 AM

View PostSarlic, on 15 September 2015 - 01:08 AM, said:

I don't like guessing because so many people are already sh*t talking about tiers. 'Yeah you are T5 man.' Or 'I really think i am T1-2 because i see top X units.'

I don't give a jackshit about tiers, all i know i can still wreck clanscum in my Atlas and that's what it counts, no?
/bragmode off.

But i really don't care to be honest. I just wonder how much people will go full e-peen mode and going to brag about their tier. I think it will soak in negativity. Could be wrong, but other games have proven it's negativity all over the place with being some games a exception.

I regularly see top players and fight against the top teams that are full full of likely T1-T2 players. However, I firmly expect to be T4 or T3.

#128 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:48 AM

whoops wrong thread :P

Edited by Lily from animove, 15 September 2015 - 01:27 PM.

#129 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:49 AM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 15 September 2015 - 11:47 AM, said:

I regularly see top players and fight against the top teams that are full full of likely T1-T2 players. However, I firmly expect to be T4 or T3.

would not be shocked to see you in tier 2. Know you are better than I, and I am pretty sure I'll be a 3.

#130 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:51 AM

Group queue results are really nothing to judge by anyways. I've seen 228s, plenty of -MS-, had a few run-ins with SJR. Heh, was once personally slaughtered by TheB33f's Wubshee.

Just because I've seen those players in my group queue drops from time to time doesn't mean I'm automatically T1 or T2. Just means the group queue is starved for players and the top dawgs need to beat up on someone. Maker, Trav and I just got voluntold for the job is all.

EDIT:: LILY. WRONG THREAD, MANG, WRONG THREAD.

Edited by 1453 R, 15 September 2015 - 11:53 AM.

#131 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:10 PM

I'm hoping for tier 3. I'd I'm better than tier 3 you should all be horribly ashamed

#132 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:15 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 15 September 2015 - 11:37 AM, said:

If I'm any higher than tier 4, it's time to take out my AC/20 urbie, until it changes.

that may not work- 7 kills in 4 matches in mine. i'm not counting the match where FF took out my ac20 before we even reached the enemy.

unless you're trying to raise it that is ;)

#133 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:20 PM

View PostTanar, on 15 September 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

that may not work- 7 kills in 4 matches in mine. i'm not counting the match where FF took out my ac20 before we even reached the enemy.

unless you're trying to raise it that is ;)

I have locusts too. No ice ferret or kit fox though, so I can't really hamstring myself.

#134 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:24 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 15 September 2015 - 12:20 PM, said:

I have locusts too. No ice ferret or kit fox though, so I can't really hamstring myself.

hmm unbasiced commandos have been doing a good job of making me look like a horrible player- got any of them to try? my locusting varies with the locust- commando numbsers are practically exactly the same with each variant.

#135 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:32 PM

View PostTanar, on 15 September 2015 - 12:24 PM, said:

hmm unbasiced commandos have been doing a good job of making me look like a horrible player- got any of them to try? my locusting varies with the locust- commando numbsers are practically exactly the same with each variant.

I have been fiddling wih Atlas RS builds today. Sometimes i barely dish 300 damage other times i dish 700 plus. But man, piloting the Atlas on the live servers is brutal. I am really feeling the med laser + gauss / clpl alot. Real challenge. Like its getting thougher by the day! I can deliver a punch but the team has to work a little with me. Stomps (most of the time justified, others dont) everywere. Or teams collapsing like a cardhouse.

My peformance does heavily fluctuates though. In group que most of them acknowlegde the force multiplier of a Atlas present and i dish out some good damage to my liking. (Not all matches though, but the mentality of supporting your backbones is much more present)

Edited by Sarlic, 15 September 2015 - 12:35 PM.

#136 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:39 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 September 2015 - 11:49 AM, said:

would not be shocked to see you in tier 2. Know you are better than I, and I am pretty sure I'll be a 3.

I'm definitely not good enough for consistent T2. I joined QQ about a year ago. My WL went from 0.98 to a peak of 1.60 and my KDR went from 1.78 to a peak of 2.41. Now I'm at 1.55 and 2.33.

For the last 6 months I've spent most of my playtime in lobbies practicing for comp. When I wasn't in a lobby I was either in a group with Homeless, jay35, and I in Pretty Babies; with Homeless, H8Wine, and I in Garbros; or I was solo in a lolcust or Vindi.

I did spend this past weekend mastering a dozen or so mechs I've had on the backburner due to comp. Totally worth it.

#137 Jesushupfer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 267 posts
  • Locationn00b Valley

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:15 PM

I dont see any champion mechs on my team or the enemy team. Does that mean i am Tier1?

Personally i highly doubt that and rate me to be a solid Tier2 Player but who knows...

#138 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:18 PM

Some people do actually buy Champs, yaknow. They've also been given away as event rewards. I have a BJ-1[C] I bought outright to get the stuff I needed to run a Boomjack, and while I may not be a league-ruling ultracomp I'm not a complete nitwit, either.

SHUT UP YOU T_T

Anyways. Not every [C] 'Mech you see is automatically a total loon still on his cadet bonus.

Edited by 1453 R, 15 September 2015 - 01:19 PM.

#139 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:57 PM

Tier 4 probably.

Tier 5 if I'm lucky.

#140 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:01 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 15 September 2015 - 12:20 PM, said:

ice ferret with 5 ml is much better than any locust

kit fox isn't bad if you are a medium pilot too

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users