276 replies to this topic

#81 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:32 AM

View PostChemie, on 15 September 2015 - 03:37 AM, said:

PSR just stops Tier 5 from playing Tier 1. Everyone else still gets matched AFAIK...for sure Tier 3 plays everyone.

It only expands two tiers not three. So Tier 1 does not match with Tier 4 or 5, Tier 2 doesn't match with Tier 5. Tier 3 can match with everyone.

View Post627, on 15 September 2015 - 05:51 AM, said:

you have no idea... if I'd told you what people I saw only yesterday in my matches. From top tier comp players to so called top tier players, to fellow forum warriors, to lurming matches I haven't seen in weeks...

I even dropped so deep into the tiers that people actually.... how to say... they were nice and friendly to each other! That was unbelievable for me. Maybe I dropped with canadians or so, but people actually were kind and when they died, they didn't *gasp* the team for their own failure!

My experience with other games is that the most toxic people come from middling to upper-middle ranks. They never address their mistakes that are holding them back and instead always blame external factors like teammates and balance.

Edited by Jman5, 15 September 2015 - 08:33 AM.

#82 The Bounty Hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Runnin' Game

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:36 AM

View PostAdamBaines, on 15 September 2015 - 04:55 AM, said:

Gotta keep it on the down-low as it's supposed to be a legend.....but I heard Level 6s are pretty bad ass......

Level 6 is NOT a legend.

The Bounty Hunter IS a Level 6......

#83 InRev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:37 AM

My terribleness and lack of talent know no tier; they cannot be contained.

I am tier

#84 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:43 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 15 September 2015 - 07:46 AM, said:

It will mostly reveal the issue that too many T2 players exists that are allowed to match up vs noobies (T4's). But the skillgap between them is too big to actually make sesne that they should meet.

The MM does no make sure you only meet your tier, a T2 can meet a T5, so the second best cluster can meet the lowest cluster.

Seriously, the MM allows such a large skill gap that you have to wonder what the point of having 5 tiers is if the only restriction is that Tier 1 can't face 4 and 5. Wouldn't it have been better to just make fewer tiers and hard lock them?

I don't know about you guys, but when I hear 'tiers' I think of Stepped Pyramids. But that would imply that Tier 5 would have the most players. But that can't be right- it has to be more like the Elo curve, where the bulk of the average players would be tier 3, right? So for the average player you will see the entire spectrum of skill quality. So due to the restrictions, some games will be tiers 1-3 and other games will be tiers 2-5. Since there are more tier 4-5 than tier 1 (I assume) then you are more likely to have teams of wildly different skill levels. Personally I think the tier 1-2 games are the ones where no one dies for 7-8 minutes and the tier 2-5 are the ones where you lose a whole lance 3 minutes into the game (I could be wrong though).

Edited by Davers, 15 September 2015 - 08:44 AM.

#85 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:22 AM

7 days to, "Tier 6 Online." :D

#86 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:24 AM

Im all in!

View PostJman5, on 15 September 2015 - 08:32 AM, said:

It only expands two tiers not three. So Tier 1 does not match with Tier 4 or 5, Tier 2 doesn't match with Tier 5. Tier 3 can match with everyone.

Thats what the person you quoted said...

#87 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:28 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 15 September 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:

Im all in!

Thats what the person you quoted said...

They said tier 1 wouldn't play tier 5, implying that they would play tier 4 and they do not.

#88 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:30 AM

View PostBilbo, on 15 September 2015 - 09:28 AM, said:

They said tier 1 wouldn't play tier 5, implying that they would play tier 4 and they do not.

ah missed that part. noobs get put in a 4 right? so as soon as they go up one level they can start to see the real game where they get crushed by tier 1 guys. Have they figured out how groups will be done? The last thing I remember was

Posted Image

#89 Kaspirikay

• Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Tier 6 master race

#90 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

The whole point of tiers and PSR is to create better matchmaking, right? In that sense it's worked out great, at least for me.

#91 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:34 AM

So far, PSR is working well for me. Anecdotal, I know, so it doesn't confirm anything, but my good games in LCT have dropped by a few hundred damage and a kill or two, meaning that the matches are much more even (or at least overall more challenging) now for those matches in which I perform well.

I doubt I will have anymore random stompfests of a match where I destroy more than half the enemy team, but ultimately that's a good thing for all but my ego.

It will take some time for people's perception and ingrained response to match scores to realign with more even matchmaking. Until then, we'll continue to hear how bad MM is, even if it is working more appropriately.

#92 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:35 AM

View PostDarthRevis, on 15 September 2015 - 06:48 AM, said:

I'm sure only about 60% are actually tier 1, but either way i dont get why the OP of that comment worried....like he is Tier 1 or something. :rolleyes:

I'm totally not worried, and imagine my unit is happy to know that I've been "accidentally" grinding basics/elites on underclass mechs for a couple months now. Couldn't even get 1 Dire to full basic - that's how much I dislike/can't play slow pokes - meta for the people that can tolerate that speed, but a death trap for a light/medium pilot.

#93 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:37 AM

Well to be fair if you play enough you should already have a decent idea of the top people. For example the top comp teams that only take good players and tend to play in groups and even do well in losses are teir one. So So SJR, EMP etc. Then the good casaul units that have good players and play together a lot are probabl tier one or split between tier 1 and 2. For example BMMU etc. Then the rest of tier 1 and 2 are probably made up of the really good small units and good players on average units and top solo players. If you play a lot and are any good you would probably recognize most of the people I would bet.

Then the next batch will be the huge amount of average players in the middle. And the finally the people doing their own thing using a strearing wheel etc in tier 5.

#94 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:38 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 15 September 2015 - 09:30 AM, said:

ah missed that part. noobs get put in a 4 right? so as soon as they go up one level they can start to see the real game where they get crushed by tier 1 guys. Have they figured out how groups will be done? The last thing I remember was

Posted Image

Nothing final. In the town hall the latest idea is to go back to weighted game-mode voting. Right now I think it's back to a free for all after a sufficient wait.

#95 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:41 AM

View PostDavers, on 15 September 2015 - 08:43 AM, said:

Seriously, the MM allows such a large skill gap that you have to wonder what the point of having 5 tiers is if the only restriction is that Tier 1 can't face 4 and 5. Wouldn't it have been better to just make fewer tiers and hard lock them?

I imagine that the gap exists to cover for low population time or people who have highly restrictive options. During prime time a Tier 3 in the solo queue will probably be facing mostly tier 3. Although a tier 5 or Tier 1 player will probably see more stretching than a mid-tier player because the populations at the extremes are lower.

I don't know about you guys, but when I hear 'tiers' I think of Stepped Pyramids. But that would imply that Tier 5 would have the most players. But that can't be right- it has to be more like the Elo curve, where the bulk of the average players would be tier 3, right? So for the average player you will see the entire spectrum of skill quality. So due to the restrictions, some games will be tiers 1-3 and other games will be tiers 2-5. Since there are more tier 4-5 than tier 1 (I assume) then you are more likely to have teams of wildly different skill levels. Personally I think the tier 1-2 games are the ones where no one dies for 7-8 minutes and the tier 2-5 are the ones where you lose a whole lance 3 minutes into the game (I could be wrong though).

I asked Paul a few weeks ago and he said it was a segmented curve. Whether or not we start to see drift depends on how the devs designed it. That happened with Elo at one point and they had to fix it.

#96 JohnnyWayne

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:41 AM

Im certainly low priority tier.

#97 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:42 AM

View PostKubernetes, on 15 September 2015 - 09:30 AM, said:

The whole point of tiers and PSR is to create better matchmaking, right? In that sense it's worked out great, at least for me.

In the single queue yes, in the group queue Ive dropped against more 12 mans than I have since I started playing CW again

#98 JohnnyWayne

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:44 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 15 September 2015 - 09:42 AM, said:

In the single queue yes, in the group queue Ive dropped against more 12 mans than I have since I started playing CW again

Well there is the reason I don't really play group queue anymore. Also an idea - just mess with group queue until smaller groups are forced to play CW for a proper game experience...

#99 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:46 AM

Perhaps we will all be saved once MWO hits STEAM, is a resounding success (I'd be ecstatic with "middling") and the volume of new players increases enough that they can tighten up the tier spread to +/-1 tier.

#100 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:49 AM

View PostTLBFestus, on 15 September 2015 - 09:46 AM, said:

Perhaps we will all be saved once MWO hits STEAM, is a resounding success (I'd be ecstatic with "middling") and the volume of new players increases enough that they can tighten up the tier spread to +/-1 tier.

Posted Image

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users