Tier Visibility - Today Ingame

276 replies to this topic

#61 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:43 AM

I saw an Oxide boating all LRM 5s in one of my matches the other day. I *thought* I was tier 3 but that made me wonder, maybe I'm 4. Oh well. If playing non-meta builds and mechs on top of not being the best player in the world puts me in tier 4, at least I'm having fun, most of the time anyway.

#62 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:44 AM

I hope if there is any big QQ about tiers it will open up more of a discussion about the PSR system. Just how important are some of the variables? Does standing near your lance mates or near larger mechs really mean you are a better player?

#63 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:46 AM

It will mostly reveal the issue that too many T2 players exists that are allowed to match up vs noobies (T4's). But the skillgap between them is too big to actually make sesne that they should meet.

View Post0bsidion, on 15 September 2015 - 07:43 AM, said:

I saw an Oxide boating all LRM 5s in one of my matches the other day. I *thought* I was tier 3 but that made me wonder, maybe I'm 4. Oh well. If playing non-meta builds and mechs on top of not being the best player in the world puts me in tier 4, at least I'm having fun, most of the time anyway.

The MM does no make sure you only meet your tier, a T2 can meet a T5, so the second best cluster can meet the lowest cluster.

Edited by Lily from animove, 15 September 2015 - 07:47 AM.

#64 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,396 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:48 AM

It will be funny to see all the good players that drop in groups being around the middle tier just due to everyone on the team getting an average score. We all know that good teams are damage efficient. ^_^

#65 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:50 AM

View PostBilbo, on 15 September 2015 - 07:40 AM, said:

Yes. As it should be. No one needs to know how bad I really am.

Hey, I've dropped with you several times. You've both been a solid teammate and you've kicked my ass once or twice too as an enemy.

Edited by Lorian Sunrider, 15 September 2015 - 07:50 AM.

#66 KHETTI

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:50 AM

Looking forward to knowing where i stand in the grand scheme of things, and happy to share it with everyone else regardless of what tier i got myself into.

#67 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:52 AM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 15 September 2015 - 01:06 AM, said:

after i knew that people from the top competitive teams which are very picky about their members may be matched with players who didn't play their first 25 games and it happens after the psr introduction... i don't care of the tiers anymore

1) New players are seeded in tier 4. Presumably decent players are tier 1 and 2. So a tier 2 can easily be matched against a tier 4 if a match is allowed to span 3 tiers.

2) Have you considered that the players on the BEST teams will be in tier 2 or tier 3 due to a PSR rating system?

Think about it ... match score is based on damage done plus kills and assists primarily. The match score is used to calculate the PSR. What happens on a good well coordinated team made of players with good aim?
- they focus fire on targets to eliminate them quickly and efficiently. They don't waste time firing at unnecessary components they want dead opponents.
- EVERYONE has good aim, EVERYONE can use their mech well, EVERYONE does focused damage. They work as a team to quickly and efficiently dispose of the other team. How much damage does it require to kill an opponent? On average it is something less than 200 to kill via center torso. 200 is the maximum for the largest assaults (sans quirks). This means that there is roughly 2400 damage required to eliminate the opposing team ... split among 12 good players is something like 200 damage/player plus one kill and maybe 10 assists on average.

Do you see the interesting result? The BEST coordinated players on the BEST teams WILL be expected to have a lower match score than the "bads" because they work together effectively. This gives them a lower overall PSR but has no effect on their play ability. It is just a fundamental flaw in trying to use individual performance to rank players in a team game.

The ability to play well with others is not necessarily reflected in an individual performance match scoring system in a team game. This is true even in the solo queue since matches are more often won or lost based on how much spontaneous team work shows up rather than the individual performance of a couple of players.

#68 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

View PostAmsro, on 15 September 2015 - 07:48 AM, said:

It will be funny to see all the good players that drop in groups being around the middle tier just due to everyone on the team getting an average score. We all know that good teams are damage efficient. ^_^

maybe, maybe not, but actually average score should not make you drop. it should make you stay.

View PostKHETTI, on 15 September 2015 - 07:50 AM, said:

Looking forward to knowing where i stand in the grand scheme of things, and happy to share it with everyone else regardless of what tier i got myself into.

scores are made by damage rakcup it will give a rouhg estimation only, people that pilot lights succesfully and ****** backs may "kill too efficient" to get good scores. Thhey probably do not get the right "skill judgement"

Edited by Lily from animove, 15 September 2015 - 07:53 AM.

#69 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

View Post0bsidion, on 15 September 2015 - 07:43 AM, said:

I think that Tier 4 and 5 is where the most fun is probably being had... above that -- welcome to metaville. Could we get an option that if we pick a stock trial mech that we can play in the lower tiers?

Edited by nehebkau, 15 September 2015 - 07:54 AM.

#70 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:53 AM

View PostSarlic, on 15 September 2015 - 01:08 AM, said:

I don't like guessing because so many people are already sh*t talking about tiers. 'Yeah you are T5 man.' Or 'I really think i am T1-2 because i see top X units.'

I don't give a jackshit about tiers, all i know i can still wreck clanscum in my Atlas and that's what it counts, no?
/bragmode off.

But i really don't care to be honest. I just wonder how much people will go full e-peen mode and going to brag about their tier. I think it will soak in negativity. Could be wrong, but other games have proven it's negativity all over the place with being some games a exception.

I'm going to hunt them down and kill them in-game ... or die trying. I might even be able to arrange a posse as the fight starts. :D

Edited by Mystere, 15 September 2015 - 07:54 AM.

#71 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:54 AM

All I can say about 9/22 is that I'll have my Black Knight!

And my sh!t storm on forum will be about too low hardpoints or weird hitboxes :)

#72 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:55 AM

as i already suggested, first 10-20 matches for new mech/chassis, should be out of PSR rating, set to T4. After lets say 20 matches, then regular player tier should be applied to them.

#73 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:57 AM

View PostLorian Sunrider, on 15 September 2015 - 07:50 AM, said:

Hey, I've dropped with you several times. You've both been a solid teammate and you've kicked my ass once or twice too as an enemy.

Thank you, and Greetings from tier 5.

#74 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:02 AM

YAY !!!! we gonna have forumwarrior online in no time.

worse tier than yours = NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB!!!
better tier than yours = UNEMPLOYED BASEMENT DWELLER!!!

this is bad !

#75 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:12 AM

The way I see it there are two likely scenarios.

1) The mid-low tiers are actually just the dumping ground for inactive or very casual players (plays a couple times a month). The higher tiers are simply the active playerbase. When tiers get released everyone will be wondering where the heck are all the tier 4/5 players because they rarely log on to begin with.

2) Lots of people getting butt-hurt because "so-and-so" is tier 1 and they think they are so much better than him!!! Lots of accusations about damage farming and how match score is broken/biased. There will be a lot of anger and excuses thrown around from some of the competitive-minded guys who aren't rated quite as high as they think they ought to be.

Personally, I'm looking forward to it regardless of where I rank. The popcorn must flow!

Edited by Jman5, 15 September 2015 - 08:13 AM.

#76 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:17 AM

View PostChemie, on 15 September 2015 - 03:37 AM, said:

PSR just stops Tier 5 from playing Tier 1. Everyone else still gets matched AFAIK...for sure Tier 3 plays everyone.

Noooooooo! How am I supposed to farm Tier 1s?

Edited by Mystere, 15 September 2015 - 08:18 AM.

#77 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:26 AM

Am I ready ... well I dunno.

I'm technically a grown man, and have been telling myself that I really don't give a toss about what another Pixel Robot Pilot thinks of my pixel robot piloting skills.

Yet now that public tiers are incoming ... I've found myself piloting mostly my meta/semi-meta mechs, in the hopes that it might push me up one tier before the big day. God damn it... I'm guessing I'm T4, just maybe T3, and god forbit I hope I'm not T5.

BTW I've seen several of you in-game, which doesn't bode well for your PSR tier either :P

#78 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:28 AM

So which side of the spectrum is the MLPro? Tier 1? Like Tier 1 mechs being the best? Or is its backwards!?

#79 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:29 AM

View PostMystere, on 15 September 2015 - 07:53 AM, said:

I'm going to hunt them down and kill them in-game ... or die trying. I might even be able to arrange a posse as the fight starts. :D

You better be on the same team as me. :ph34r:

Edited by Sarlic, 15 September 2015 - 08:29 AM.

#80 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:31 AM

Tier 1 is the best, Tier 5 is the worst.

I myself am probably sitting comfortably in the basement of tier 4, where the matches are easy because everyone and their mother rolls in lrm zeuses.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users