Proportional Rewards: Suggestion On How Pgi Could Address Current Challenge Issues

14 replies to this topic

#1 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 19 September 2015 - 03:31 AM

I, like most Mechwarriors, appreciate the opportunity to win additional rewards through Challenges. Unfortunately, three problems have emerged in the current Challenge, which are causing a lot of angst in the player base.
  • random map selection means the maps players want, to have a chance to complete the challenge, aren't coming up as often as the players want; and
  • some players are disconnecting, or yoloing, when they don't drop on the map they want, making it even harder for their team mates to achieve the required Match Scores.
PGI could alleviate the angst among its customers by announcing it will pay part-rewards, proportional to the number of maps on which the required Match Scores were achieved.

For example, if someone achieves Tier 1's required 300 points on 7 of the 9 maps in the group or solo queue, then pay them 7/9ths of the rewards for Tier 1. If someone achieves Tier 2's required 400 points on 4 of the 9 maps in the group or solo queue, then pay them 4/9ths of the rewards for Tier 2. And so on, for the two tiers of CW rewards as well.

This suggested approach would really take the pressure/angst out of the system. If you've spent three hours dropping but can't get the right map to 'complete the bingo card', no matter, you'll still get a fair share of the rewards, anyway.

Edited by Appogee, 19 September 2015 - 04:15 AM.

#2 Naglfari

• Pip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 19 September 2015 - 03:34 AM

I think that PGI should just make the threshold for combined top match scores (the score used for the leaderboards). Make it a flat 2700/3600 (300/400 points per match across 9 maps average) in general queue and 1200/1800 (200/300 points per match across 6 maps) in Clan Wars.

That way doing well in some maps will allow you to miss one or even two others, which smooths the RNG ness out of it a bit

Edited by Shaun2406, 19 September 2015 - 03:35 AM.

#3 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 04:32 AM

My guess is they are just going to extend the Challenge til the end of the week.

Which IMHO would be a mistake, because it would extend the angst, not alleviate it.

Edited by Appogee, 19 September 2015 - 04:45 AM.

#4 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 04:44 AM

Meh

If they had half a brain they would pull the Marauder reward immediately, but this is PGI so I'm sure they will come up with something erm............creative.

#5 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:15 AM

View PostYokaiko, on 19 September 2015 - 04:44 AM, said:

Meh

If they had half a brain they would pull the Marauder reward immediately, but this is PGI so I'm sure they will come up with something erm............creative.

Well, ok, but I'm more concerned about the rewards the rest of us have a (slim) chance of earning.

#6 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:19 AM

View PostAppogee, on 19 September 2015 - 09:15 AM, said:

Well, ok, but I'm more concerned about the rewards the rest of us have a (slim) chance of earning.

Like I said in the other thread, the Marauder should be pulled and the even score blanked and retried when they are technically and procedurally ready to do it right.

But again, PGI, who knows.

#7 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:18 PM

Bumping this in the hope that a PGI staffer might see it.

#8 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:50 PM

View PostAppogee, on 19 September 2015 - 04:32 AM, said:

My guess is they are just going to extend the Challenge til the end of the week.

Which IMHO would be a mistake, because it would extend the angst, not alleviate it.

Oh, good. Another extra 5 days of frustration and more of horrid, selfish game play. Just what I was hoping for.

Edited by TLBFestus, 20 September 2015 - 01:50 PM.

#9 crashlogic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:55 PM

The best solution I have heard is to make the threshold 300-400 on any 8 maps. The biggest issue I face in this challenge, and I think others do to is the map rotation. I get forest colony 100 times and HPG or Virdian like 10. Mining collective, which is the last map I need, I hav had 5 times all weekend and each time failed to qualify because I had 3-4 dc's and two yolos each time. If the maps were not random, but were cycled through in sequence one after the other, this would have been a better challenge.

#10 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:54 PM

View Postcrashlogic, on 20 September 2015 - 01:55 PM, said:

The best solution I have heard is to make the threshold 300-400 on any 8 maps.

Heh, I'd still fail on that criteria.

I have barely dropped on Tourmaline or HPG, and whenever I have, my team has been wiped before I've got the required score for even the lowest tier.

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,059 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:02 AM

i think i only leroyed once, i was on my last mech on a 4 to 34 cw match on a map i needed. i was rather angry at the team for not being able to do basic things like exit the derp zone or form up. also the cat was on me about a can of friskies.

of course i made up for that by tanking and taking point on many many many other maps i didnt need when my mood was much less (but still quite) psychotic.

Edited by LordNothing, 21 September 2015 - 12:04 AM.

#12 Daelen Rottiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:07 AM

This event isn't worse the stress coming with it - I quit. Afterall it should be fun - right now it isn't because of the OPs reasons.

#13 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:18 AM

View PostDaelen Rottiger, on 21 September 2015 - 12:07 AM, said:

This event isn't worse the stress coming with it - I quit.

I really wish I'd realised how hard the event was before I started. Then I could have ignored it and not become so frustrated.

As it stands I have qualified on 7 of the 9 maps. I rarely drop on the missing two, and when I do, this happens.

#14 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 01:02 AM

View PostTLBFestus, on 20 September 2015 - 01:50 PM, said:

Oh, good. Another extra 5 days of frustration and more of horrid, selfish game play. Just what I was hoping for.

Sounds like the solo queue anyway, I didn't notice any real difference other than most were driving their "A" game mechs.

#15 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:24 AM

View PostYokaiko, on 21 September 2015 - 01:02 AM, said:

Sounds like the solo queue anyway, I didn't notice any real difference other than most were driving their "A" game mechs.

I see many differences ... particularly, players hanging back not wanting to be the first to engage, much more long range sniping, and much more lurm-spamming... a weapon which splashes a lot of damage per kill.

Edited by Appogee, 21 September 2015 - 04:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users