53 replies to this topic

#1 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:26 PM

Im seeing more 12 man farming in the group queue than Ive seen in at least the past month of CW.

REALLY dissuading me from wanting to play group queue and this is supposed to be a team game. Maybe we need a return of the 12 man group queue cause dropping against vastly superior giant teams and getting my ass handed to me game after game is really making me no longer want to play

#2 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:30 PM

But, but, 12mans are what the group queue is for! If they didn't get to beat up on smaller groups they'd all quit and the game would die!

[/sarcasm]
Wish they'd pushed through the 4man max group size, at least for a week to see how many people are really impacted.

#3 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:31 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 16 September 2015 - 12:30 PM, said:

But, but, 12mans are what the group queue is for! If they didn't get to beat up on smaller groups they'd all quit and the game would die!

Wait... I thought that was CW? I'm getting my PGI snark mixed up here!

#4 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:37 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 16 September 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

Im seeing more 12 man farming in the group queue than Ive seen in at least the past month of CW.

REALLY dissuading me from wanting to play group queue and this is supposed to be a team game. Maybe we need a return of the 12 man group queue cause dropping against vastly superior giant teams and getting my ass handed to me game after game is really making me no longer want to play

And getting your ass handed to you by PUGs, 10mans, skirmish teams, multi unit lance drops, and solo's is just fine?

Instead of 1% OR LESS of groups being 12man, maybe it is over 1% now? Maybe 2% finally?

Give it a rest already, we all know this is BS.

#5 DarkMetalBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:38 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...-making-in-mwo/

Read this in case you haven't already. If you've got twitter, pressure Russ into instilling a max group size of four.

That way, it'll hopefully put those people where they belong: At Unit Warfare. Thus, your group's bigger than four strong? Unit Warfare's your only option!

Edited by DarkMetalBlade, 16 September 2015 - 12:38 PM.

#6 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:39 PM

Oh noez.... a group playing group queue.... what is this heresy?

#7 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:39 PM

View PostDarkMetalBlade, on 16 September 2015 - 12:38 PM, said:

If you've got twitter, pressure Russ into instilling a max group size of four.

banned

and as Ive said before, he banned me when I wasnt even talking to him for more than a month so the lack of insults mustve been what did it lol

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 16 September 2015 - 12:41 PM.

#8 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:42 PM

Should people be allowed to play in groups of 12 in group queue? ... Yes.
Should 12-mans be matched against 2-s and 3-s in group queue? ... No.
12 vs 10+2 is fine. 12 vs 2+3+3+4 isn't.

#9 LORD ORION

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:46 PM

People complained that there was no point to CW because the cbill rewards were to low... naturally PGI nerfed Cbill earnings on the 12 man games to "correct" this complaint.

The brutalization will continue, and it is very rare for 12 man teams to face eath other since the are more likely to be involved in an attack instead of defense.

#10 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:48 PM

And Im pretty sure when you see 11 ppl of the same MC and one other guy its a 12 man ...cause 11 mans cant drop, then when you run against them 3 or 4 games in a row and you get killed 12-0 every ******* time ... yeah thats when I ragequit the game for a while.

#11 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:49 PM

Wait!!! Lets go back to 4vs4/lance vs lance!!! But it will still be unfair, a 2+2 dropping against a lance of 4, or even worse, 4pugs!!!

iie, 4vs4 is too small!!! Lets go back to 8vs8!!! I hate group queue, every other drop it is a 8man team vs group 4+2+2. That is completely unfair!!!! I am not grouping any more!!!!!

Not even going to bother with /s :)

12-man farming? Sound like CW too:) but against not just teams but solo players, sorta like original queue :) Sorta ironic, isn't it?

Max 4-unit is still too small. Reduce it to 8-unit max.

But I would ask, what happens in those drops where everyone in that drop had formed up prior to the drop but are of different units and factions? CW will not allow that, nor does it allow a player to switch from Clan to IS mechs, nor back to the other without switching faction, not for the next drop. Nor does it allow said player group up and drop with someone else on the opposing major faction.

I am a member of the DCMS, but even those who are permanently attached to a House, a faction, need to step back and look at the overall ramifications of any MAJOR changes such as a drop from max 12 to max 4 in the current atmosphere.

With that said, does the system PGI uses have the capabilities to extend the search criteria in the current setting of the normal queue? That is, the larger the group dropping the longer it looks for larger units to drop with before opening up the search criteria? A 12-man drops and it looks for another 12, then a 10, 8, 6?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 16 September 2015 - 01:12 PM.

#12 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:51 PM

I think the 4 man size limit is the sweet spot concerning group play. A good 4 man still has a great chance to effect the game doing the lion share of the work while it being challenging enough to make it fun. I know the 4 man teams I used to run with in our unit had much more enjoyable games during those times.

#13 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:54 PM

Read this in case you haven't already. If you've got twitter, pressure Russ into instilling a max group size of four.

That way, it'll hopefully put those people where they belong: At Unit Warfare. Thus, your group's bigger than four strong? Unit Warfare's your only option!

Also, read this part from that link.

"Group Queue:

We have been doing a lot of playing around with values since both the new servers and PSR came online and we feel we have found settings that work best. Unfortunately for group queue this means fairly heavily loosening of the valves and criteria to keep wait times down. Here is where the current stats of group queue sit:

Average wait time: 190 seconds.
Average Skill Diff per team: 405"

Everyone complained about the atrocious waiting times in group queue, so they relaxed the match maker to decrease wait times. They are looking for input on this. Would you rather wait longer to get a better match, or quicker matches but get rolled more often?

#14 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:56 PM

WE HAD THAT ALREADY! IT DIDNT WORK!

Is you brain that fired? Or were you not around? Group limit of 4 was already here and was one of the worst things this game ahd in a long time...

IT DID not make the game better it made people pissed they could not play with more then 3 of their friends and they went to play other stuff.

Please look into what we have tried before you pitch ideas that have already been implemented and then removed because they were horrible and made something fun into something not very fun.

The second they lifted that restriction the game flourished more so then ever before...

#15 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:00 PM

Tough situation. (I too have experienced some really lopsided MM in qroup queue recently.. thus I'm playing Solo queue all day today..)

Perhaps
Pit 12man against 12man, with a release value of having them face no more than 2 groups?
If they end up waiting forever even with that... then "that sucks." (It beats the hell out of the 4man cap, which if memory serves me, the 4man cap was too low which is why they made the group queue in the first place...)

#16 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:06 PM

I can only hope that's why I've been so terribly beat up in games lately. It might be contributory because I really haven't done much in the way of solo drops lately.

That said, I'm torn with the 4 man idea because while it frees me from the tyranny of the 12 mans, it means that when there are 5 of us we must be split up.

I'd be OK with allowing bigger drop sizes as long as it split them up in the same game, as in on opposite sides. I like playing with my buddies, but I also don't really mind killin' them for bragging rights.

#17 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:23 PM

To be fair, is anyone playing CW at all? Maybe they(the 12man) scared everyone from CW and now have to scare them from Group. Eventually they will have to mix group with solo like back in the days and then we will be back at square one with 1tenth of the population we have now.

It's also probably the best way to earn cbills so you can't blame them, it's all about he cbill grind if you like the game.

Edited by DAYLEET, 16 September 2015 - 01:27 PM.

#18 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:27 PM

The problem has and always been that CW was designed with nothing but a 12 man mode.

There is no content for smaller groups,and 4v4 should have been a priority. Even if a 4v4 win would have only 25% the influence vs. a 12v12, the smaller numbers would have allowed for smaller-scale groups and PUGs to have a visible effect without becoming endless farming fodder.

#19 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:28 PM

Just wanted to add something else without editing the prior post.

Does everyone really want this game to start looking at the MSN zone, where just about everyone and their dog shows up, simply for the game itself. Or would the game be healthier where large units are stable and people show up for games more for the people they get to drop with, not simply for the game itself?

How many of you have continue to play a game, even after the game grew stale to you, simply due to the relationships made in the group/guild/clan/organization which you were a part of that, but eventually your attendance dropped due to fewer and fewer of your friends showing up?

Just to add VOIP is great and all, but much more emphasis needs to be made on the actual Chat UI. This is how people communicate within more games. Unless it is business or a long and serious conversation, how many use TEXT MSG more than ringing the phone? (chuckles) How many still have actual landlines?

Never mind, tis likely go in one ear (eye) and out the other... :(

#20 Murphy7

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:42 PM

I think it is just the nature of the matchmaker, one side is already 12 - let's build a team to match them and if there isn't another 12-man immediately ready to go, it already is starting to pull together the smaller groups until it has 12 to match them. Short of sync dropping the 12's, this is what happens.

It's disheartening to be in a group of 3 and see your opponent as a succession of different 12's, mainly because that tells me there were 12s available to match up against one another.

If we ever made it so full 12s could only drop against one another, the next outcry will be against the 10+2's. Just roll with it, or break up into dropping solo, or try another game for a while.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users