#41 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,679 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:09 PM

View PostMechWarrior5152251, on 03 May 2017 - 03:16 PM, said:

Does anyone even put hoverjets on a heavy mech anymore?

Well in the Rifleman IIC's case, it was supposed to help with mobility (since it's running speed is a meager 54 kmph with a standard engine). God forbid we ever multi directional jump jets in MW:O then yes, it would greatly benefit this mech along with other heavy mechs in game. The standard MW:O jump jets will at least help with hill peaking and some mobility issues with the prime chassis.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 03 May 2017 - 04:10 PM.

#42 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:10 AM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 03 May 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

Well in the Rifleman IIC's case, it was supposed to help with mobility (since it's running speed is a meager 54 kmph with a standard engine). God forbid we ever multi directional jump jets in MW:O then yes, it would greatly benefit this mech along with other heavy mechs in game. The standard MW:O jump jets will at least help with hill peaking and some mobility issues with the prime chassis.

Maybe the directional jump jets will be very limited. IE, you can only mount them if you mount a very small engine, or maybe only special mechs get them, like ECM.

#43 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:50 PM

View PostStingray1234, on 04 May 2017 - 08:10 AM, said:

Maybe the directional jump jets will be very limited. IE, you can only mount them if you mount a very small engine, or maybe only special mechs get them, like ECM.

To be honest I'm not aware of any mechs in MW:O that use jump jets to help with slower mobility. If PGI could pull of jump jets being useful for slower mech speeds, then I'm all for them for any possible RFL-IIC variants or heroes that use directional hover jets. I'm really not sure how a ECM hero variant will benefit the mech.

If they are going to give the Rifleman IIC any unique quirks, it should be something similar to what PGI did with the Cyclops mech. Instead of having a boosted sensor range (which the RFL-IIC has naturally with the cBAP), any friendly mechs near the Rifleman IIC say within a 100M radius should have a slight accuracy boost. This goes back to the lore that the Galahad (Glass spider) having the capabilities like the RFL-IIC and Kraken that can link their fire control systems to similar friendly mechs. It would be a unique trait that the RFL-IIC and a very good selling point for the hero or even the standard variants.

From Sarna.net :

"While performing well overall during the battle, it was specifically those Glass Spiders assigned to air defense which won the fight for the city of Monamora. By linking their superior fire control systems with their fellow Rifleman IIC and Kraken 'Mechs, they accounted for shooting down over 60% of all Blood Spirit fighters lost in the assault and sealed the fate of the city's defenders."

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 04 May 2017 - 12:51 PM.

#44 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:54 PM

The point of JJs on most IS 'Mechs is very specifically to assist with having both poor mobility and short-range weaponry. IIRC, that jump distance is supposed to be hexes, not vertical height. That means forward motion.

That JJs are totally incapable of vaulting you forward without possessing great forward run speed is a massive failing.

#45 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:54 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 04 May 2017 - 01:54 PM, said:

The point of JJs on most IS 'Mechs is very specifically to assist with having both poor mobility and short-range weaponry. IIRC, that jump distance is supposed to be hexes, not vertical height. That means forward motion.

That JJs are totally incapable of vaulting you forward without possessing great forward run speed is a massive failing.

I have never played Battletech a day i nmy life, but from previous discussions about the Highlander (which is known for its mobility due to jump jets), it's not so much that the jump jets adds additional movement to your running speed, so much as letting you quickly pass through or over terrain that would otherwise slow you down, such as trees or urban areas.

Perhaps I have misunderstood something. If so, it's yet another argument to give MWO jump jets some forward momentum. Which will never happen, obviously. Maybe they will tweak the jump jet skills on the skill tree to provide an extra 5% forward movement.

#46 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:58 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 04 May 2017 - 02:54 PM, said:

I have never played Battletech a day i nmy life, but from previous discussions about the Highlander (which is known for its mobility due to jump jets), it's not so much that the jump jets adds additional movement to your running speed, so much as letting you quickly pass through or over terrain that would otherwise slow you down, such as trees or urban areas.

Perhaps I have misunderstood something. If so, it's yet another argument to give MWO jump jets some forward momentum. Which will never happen, obviously. Maybe they will tweak the jump jet skills on the skill tree to provide an extra 5% forward movement.

I mean, that's essentially the same thing. But you can read between the lines on Sarna. Most 3015-3050 heavy and assault 'Mechs move at 64.8 kph or slower. IS weapons are shorter ranged. JJs allow these 'Mechs to typically vault 90 to 120 meters. Ergo, they assist with mobility. The point is to be able to rapidly close distance since it would take longer to use your running speed. It's implicit.

The Rifleman IIC is most definitely not unique in this regard, just unique in that it's one of the rare Clan 'Mechs that needs it. PGI just has an improper implementation of JJs, which should vault your 'Mech and not allow for pogo-sticking.

#47 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:21 AM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 03 May 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

God forbid we ever multi directional jump jets in MW:O then yes, it would greatly benefit this mech along with other heavy mechs in game.

If we were to ever get those, the Summoner would be a fantastic duelist mech like it is in TT...

#48 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:05 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 05 May 2017 - 07:58 AM, said:

The Rifleman IIC is most definitely not unique in this regard, just unique in that it's one of the rare Clan 'Mechs that needs it. PGI just has an improper implementation of JJs, which should vault your 'Mech and not allow for pogo-sticking.

Regardless how PGI implements the Rifleman IIC, it's going to be a great addition to the current clan arsenal. Perhaps I'm just stubborn in the belief that running a standard engine isn't going to make the mech DOA, since the slower speeds can provide fire support for your larger clan/is assaults prohibited by 54kmph or less. But yes if PGI could implement, or at least give it some bonus movement profile speed with JJ's somehow then I think people would be more apt to run it with a clan standard engine. Even with a 290 XL engine cap it will go beyond 64.5 kmph with the options to squeeze in more heat sinks and/or other equipment.

I see it being a popular choice in drop decks in FW since i see most of the 65 clan tonnage slots favoring speed over durability. From PGI's pov, they wanted more players to run clan standard engines in their battlemechs (I remember reading this from a few threads back).

The people that try to talk negatively about the chassis I guess have a personal distaste over the artwork design and/or are afraid of what the mech can offer to the game. I like it, simply because I have an odd taste in mech designs and it reminds me of the Tau technology from W40k. I do think if Alex sticks with the concept of Rick Harris's artwork from the Battle of Tukayyid scenarios while giving it the MW:O touch, IMO it will be a great seller even as a single mech pack release.

Posted Image

(And here's a Tau flying gun drone for comparison. If only I could have a custom decal for the barrels saying "For the greater good" when it drops in game.)

Posted Image

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 05 May 2017 - 09:06 AM.

#49 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:16 AM

I have no question that the RFL-IIC will be extremely competent. I'm just trying to temper the expectation on what it may or may not get for quirks, since JJ mobility is not, in fact, unique to it.

Also, RFL-IIC reminds me more of this:

Posted Image

#50 Harbinger Kane

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:15 PM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 05 May 2017 - 09:05 AM, said:

Regardless how PGI implements the Rifleman IIC, it's going to be a great addition to the current clan arsenal. Perhaps I'm just stubborn in the belief that running a standard engine isn't going to make the mech DOA, since the slower speeds can provide fire support for your larger clan/is assaults prohibited by 54kmph or less. But yes if PGI could implement, or at least give it some bonus movement profile speed with JJ's somehow then I think people would be more apt to run it with a clan standard engine. Even with a 290 XL engine cap it will go beyond 64.5 kmph with the options to squeeze in more heat sinks and/or other equipment.

I see it being a popular choice in drop decks in FW since i see most of the 65 clan tonnage slots favoring speed over durability. From PGI's pov, they wanted more players to run clan standard engines in their battlemechs (I remember reading this from a few threads back).

The people that try to talk negatively about the chassis I guess have a personal distaste over the artwork design and/or are afraid of what the mech can offer to the game. I like it, simply because I have an odd taste in mech designs and it reminds me of the Tau technology from W40k. I do think if Alex sticks with the concept of Rick Harris's artwork from the Battle of Tukayyid scenarios while giving it the MW:O touch, IMO it will be a great seller even as a single mech pack release.

(And here's a Tau flying gun drone for comparison. If only I could have a custom decal for the barrels saying "For the greater good" when it drops in game.)

Heresy, HERESY!

Edited by Harbinger Kane, 05 May 2017 - 12:16 PM.

#51 Notorious Meerkat

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:50 PM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 06 October 2015 - 11:20 AM, said:

So what is Assault Tech 1: Battletech?

It was a cancelled project that featured most of the classic mechs from Mechwarrior 2. It has a few new features as well such as mechs losing balance and falling down near explosions, joystick use, external cameras and so many other neat things. You can grab it here:

http://www.moddb.com...ch-1-battletech

More videos of gameplay footage coming later this week. Stay tuned!

Good lord, those walking animations are drop dead amazeballs :o

#52 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:27 AM

Since this thread was unexpectedly bumped back from the dead from about two years ago (holy crap time is flying by fast), I might as show off the entire mech family sitting on my desk. Posted Image

Posted Image

Starting from left to right is:

1. IS Rifleman (Macross Destroid Defender)

Package was from 1994. The torso, radar and arm weapons are completely pose able. My only complaint is that the barrels were made horizontally and not vertically (as in the anime and the original IS Rifleman artwork). It's a nice desk mech and the level of detail on it is pretty damn good.

2. Rifleman IIC 3 (Reseen).

I gave it an urban camo paint job since that is one of my favorite paint schemes for mechs. This was one of my first paint jobs that I did for a miniature where the resulting product came out pretty decently. I'm by no means a really detailed painter as in the level of detail of the middle mech.

3. Rifleman IIC Prime (Unseen).

I have looked all over the internet for one of these miniatures. This thing was a major pain in the *** to get (Since they are even rarer than the reseens now). This one was custom painted before I bought it, equipped in Jade Falcon colors with tiny Jade Falcon decals. There is custom brush near the feet of the mech and the level of overall detail this thing has is amazing.

Ral Partha miniatures are hard to come by, and if you see even one miniature for a decent price tag (40$ or below), grab it while you can. I was fortunate enough to find this on ebay with the large pulse laser barrels still in tact and everything with the mech in excellent shape.

4. Executioner Prime (Iron Wind Metals).

I blame Mechwarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy sparking my interests in the Executioner (Gladiator). I think what did it was the underwater mission in the campaign, where you were forced to pilot a custom underwater Executioner and have to locate, identify and destroy several IS mechs sitting in an underground cavern completely submerged in water. Taking down the submarines and engaging in underwater combat with clan wolf mechs with ER PPC's and underwater torpedoes made me appreciate what the Executioner can bring to the table.

It's big, ugly, threatening menacing look on top of it's interesting design is what inspired me to add it to my collection. I'm not a big fan of the paint job that I gave it (I think I gave it some kind of gray coating with some mossy green blotches, and for whatever reason gave it IDDQD golden eyes because DooM.) The mech's lore and overall fascination with Clan Ghost Bear is what made me cave in and get it.

5. Rifleman IIC Prime (Custom 3D print)

Now before I acquired the Jade Falcon Rifleman IIC, searching for Ral Partha miniatures that were available for sale on the internet were very obscure for the time being. Most people selling their miniatures would either have a Rifleman IIC thrown into their collection (that would auction off at $200+ or more) would be almost instantly sold in Ebay's buy it now auction, or a big bidding war would occur where you would be instantly outbid by a millisecond before the auction was over. I wasn't really a big fan of the overall look of the Ral Partha Rifleman IIC prime either, but I wanted it because it was an official unseen pewter mech.

During this time period I gave up searching for the rare mini pewter mech. So I decided to make an order for a 3D printing service and custom 3D print the mech. I found a german site that had really decent battletech models on it. I fixed up these models in blender and added more polys for more detail. I was ecstatic to find the Rifleman IIC, Warhammer IIC, Behemoth, Locust IIC, and a few other classic mechs on the site so I saved them all onto my computer. Since the Rifleman IIC is my favorite battletech mech, I took the time out and converted the files in blender and did some extra touch up details to the model.

The site I used for the printing service was Shapeways. The material used was Black Hi-Def Acrylate, since I wanted the most detail for the design at the time being. With shipping this cost me about $40, just $5 more than what I paid for the Unseen Jade Falcon Rifleman IIC sitting on my desk now. Shapeways did a fantastic job with the printing service and I got the mech within a week. I used a base board from another TT game and some clear glue on the mechs feet so that it could stand upright on my desk.

Other mechs that I would like to add when I get a little more disposable income will be the Warhammer IIC, Firemoth, Ice Ferret, and perhaps a few IS odds and ends.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 06 May 2017 - 10:47 AM.

#53 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:41 AM

BERNIE OR BUST!

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users