Don't Stress Out Over The Leaderboard Challenge

44 replies to this topic

#1 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:17 AM

Hey guys. I just thought I would pop on here and try to inject some sanity to those dropping for this event.

First, we need to do a reality check. If you want to place in the top 10 leaderboard by the time Tuesday roles around you will likely need to do at least 1100+ damage on each map. In less than 24 hours the person who is currently first has an average of 650 match score on each map. That's close to 1000 damage scores on each map. And it's only going to go up.

To place on the Public Queue leaderboard you will need:

1. Luck
2. Play a fair number of games
3. Perform consistently well scoring 1000 damage matches with a fair bit of regularity

Unless you want to kill yourself playing hundreds of matches in just a few days, you will need to either be very good or very lucky.

Community warfare is probably even worse. I will say straight up, you can't place top 10 unless you're dropping with a competent premade against scrubs you can farm. The more mechs you go through the more diluted your score becomes. The only people who are going to place are people who do 2,000-3,000 damage while never losing a single mech.

The bottom line is just have fun. Play like there isn't an event. Pick the mechs you enjoy and just play your best. If you happen to stumble into being a top 10 contender, great. But if you go in trying to place, it's very likely you're just going to have a miserable and fruitless weekend.

Edited by Jman5, 18 September 2015 - 08:38 AM.

#2 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:22 AM

Don't worry, I won't. I'm not even sure how it's possible to get a score of 5800+ unless I just happen to drop into a game where everyone but me is afk.

#3 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:23 AM

Even if you place top 10, you still have to live with the shame that you could have just worked for 3 hours that weekend and bought everything you won

and instead you gamed for 72 hours straight -_-

#4 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:24 AM

Truth.

Now if it would only take 5 out of your 10 FIRST matches and use those for the calculation of a map average things would not have to rely on who can play most matches a day but who is overall the best player when he needs it to be.

#5 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:24 AM

Kinda how a play through every event. Well, that and a 12-pack or two.

#6 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:40 AM

Yeah, I figured this out last night. I'd be lucky to get 2-3 games with a 600+ by the allotted time. I just want my 400s and I'm good.

#7 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:42 AM

I'm honestly just going for the 2 tiers or rewards you can get in pug drops.

I'd love to get the resistance color packs from the CW one but that would require playing a minimum of 6 CW matches if you get all 6 different maps in a row.

#8 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:46 AM

Not stressed at all. I know I won't challenge the top 3 guys out of thousands and the Marauder pack is only $20 for the first one. Gonna see if i can do the others though.

-k

#9 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:51 AM

View PostcSand, on 18 September 2015 - 08:23 AM, said:

Even if you place top 10, you still have to live with the shame that you could have just worked for 3 hours that weekend and bought everything you won

72 Hours gaming>3 hours working every time!!!

#10 DarkMetalBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:54 AM

I'm more worried about the bugged disconnect counter being fixed in a timely fashion than trying to place myself on the leaderboard.

#11 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:00 AM

My advice to the average pilot and having fun with the game.

Ignore challenges if they force you to deviate from how you normally play. This usually is not fun and will simply burn you out on the game either temporarily or short term.

Sure the last challenge banked me 20 million cbills, downside I had to beat my head against the epic wall that is the resistance packs worst variants to do it. I am however a bit sick in the head and enjoy piloting odd builds so it worked for me for about half of it. Then I got sick of it and decided to just cheese snipe the last half with my double ERPPC panther cause it was the easiest way to get the points. Then I didnt play the game for a week heh.

Some of them are good. Just need to participate and your good to go. Que up for the required game mode now and then and see where you end after the weekend. Force it and its not much fun.

Leaderboard ones are not worth your time. Do yourself a favor and do not even look at them. Often it is not so much your skill level (allthough that obviously helps) but the amount of free time you decide to devote to the game. The more matches you play the odds of having 10 epic games increases. If it was limited to the best 10 out of say your first 20 matches then I would say skill is the determining factor. Your best 10 matches all weekend........the time you have to devote to the game becomes the determining factor.

#12 Suspect

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 90 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:00 AM

View PostJman5, on 18 September 2015 - 08:17 AM, said:

Hey guys. I just thought I would pop on here and try to inject some sanity to those dropping for this event.

buh.. but.. but... red doritos! I see them everywhere! OMG someone just launched a UAV in my office! HALP!

#13 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:01 AM

View PostcSand, on 18 September 2015 - 08:23 AM, said:

But the e-peen! It can't be bought with money.

#14 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:05 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 18 September 2015 - 09:01 AM, said:

But the e-peen! It can't be bought with money.

Lol,

so true

#15 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:06 AM

Poop socks are needed for this one to be sure, not to mention ghost disconnects that show up without actually disconnecting at all.

That's one way to ruin many hours of effort.

#16 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:08 AM

Yeah, this event seems to be aimed at no-lifers... <_<

#17 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:09 AM

Well said Jman!

#18 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:14 AM

View PostYellonet, on 18 September 2015 - 09:08 AM, said:

Yeah, this event seems to be aimed at no-lifers... <_<

I've placed on 2 leaderboards ever.. those were weekends I'd rather pretend never happened. Hours and hours at that computer trying to get "just a few more points"

ugh

gre-he-heaaasssy
Posted Image

#19 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:26 AM

Posted Image

#20 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:34 AM

View PostJman5, on 18 September 2015 - 08:17 AM, said:

The bottom line is just have fun. Play like there isn't an event.

Standard advice for PGI events.

I'll be lucky to even get the T1 Solo Queue prize. I don't have time to play 100 games over the weekend, and I can't count on getting a match score of 300+ in a loss. 9 random maps... 50% chance to win/get 300+... that's a lot of games.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users