How Is The Pilot Skill Rating (Psr) And Tier Level Determined?

219 replies to this topic

#181 Vermin

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:47 AM

*correction. I have it up to 0.12 now. I have actually been working on the KDR by piloting a more aggressive 'mech outside of my zoom zoom play style for a couple weeks .

I played lights for a long long time. and while i was usually the last to die (usually being chased down by the remaining enemy team). A death is still a death.

P.S. No will not quit playing on account of being terrible at the game

Edited by Vermin, 01 July 2016 - 03:00 AM.

#182 Griffin839

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:49 AM

I wish they would implement a skill level system that directly reflects how good a pilot you are. I know it's not for everyone but I am one of those people that likes to work towards level goals. I like knowing just 10000 more skill points and I level up. I like knowing that even though my pug team ignored all my advice and years of experience and got slaughtered spectacularly, my 3 kills and 600 damage meant something and my skill level increases.

#183 Ex Atlas Overlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:25 AM

View PostVermin, on 01 July 2016 - 02:47 AM, said:

*correction. I have it up to 0.12 now.

O.O

Are you forgetting to bring weapons or something?

Edited by Ex Atlas Overlord, 02 July 2016 - 03:25 AM.

#184 Tombs Clawtooth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:53 PM

View PostBlue Pheonix, on 22 September 2015 - 02:25 PM, said:

Hi all,

How is the Pilot Skill Rating (PSR) and tier level determined?
Is tier 1 the best players and tier 5 the worst?
I noticed this "PSR" after I did a patch today.

I searched these forums and did a Google search to find this answer but all that I really came across is if this info should be public or not.

Thanks!

If you do enough damage to scratch another mech and lose the match, you go up.

If you win the match and do enough damage to tickle an enemy mech with a feather, you go up.

If you do well and win, you go up.

If you sit AFK the whole match or disconnect, there's a chance you'll go down.

Basically, if you aren't going up every match, you should probably look at adjusting your mouse sensitivity and scrutinize your builds better.

View PostDFAcritkill, on 01 October 2016 - 10:15 PM, said:

I am awesome at his game. On average, I usually have 3-4 kills per game. I also own 43 Mechs. I say SCREW the whole ELO and PSL system. I would (and DO) kick the **** out of most "Tier 1" players, most days of the week... And yet, I am STILL Tier 5... Why? BECAUSE THE SYSTEM IS BROKEN! I have been playing this game since BETA. I sucked bad for the first Year or so. For real. Then I practiced and practiced until I mastered the game. Apparently I am still being punished for my early shittiness... WTF

I'm mediocre in every way and generally run experimental builds.

I go up practically every match unless something amazing and ridiculous happens, like a friendly testing their weapons into my back.

If you're still in tier 5 after a few weeks, you are doing something horrifically wrong. Whether it's personal failings or a failure to get on VOIP and call out targets for your team, it's something you're doing.

I'm angered by going up because I'm staring to butt heads with people far above my skill level which really kills the drive to play the game.

Edited by Tombs Clawtooth, 01 October 2016 - 10:56 PM.

#185 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:53 PM

View PostDFAcritkill, on 01 October 2016 - 10:15 PM, said:

I am awesome at his game. On average, I usually have 3-4 kills per game. I also own 43 Mechs. I say SCREW the whole ELO and PSL system. I would (and DO) kick the **** out of most "Tier 1" players, most days of the week... And yet, I am STILL Tier 5... Why? BECAUSE THE SYSTEM IS BROKEN! I have been playing this game since BETA. I sucked bad for the first Year or so. For real. Then I practiced and practiced until I mastered the game. Apparently I am still being punished for my early shittiness... WTF

Great 1st post... but I am curious about how you are getting 3-4 kills per game when your stats says otherwise for the last 4 seasons? Unless this was satire :)

#186 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:00 AM

View PostKlaatu Verata Necto, on 25 April 2016 - 05:51 AM, said:

I have recently joined a team of friends that has been playing it for the past 6 months and I have noticed a pattern in our team.

I'm playing with light Mech (Arctic Cheetah Prime) and I'm in Tier 5 although after playing for the past 2 weeks my friends are telling me that I should be in Tier 4 or 3.

One teammate who has been playing for the past 5 months with the same Mech is also in Tier 5 and his skills are way above.
Another teammate is always changing his Mech's and although he gets killed more often and causes less damage is in Tier 4.

Same with another teammate that is varying Mech's all the time and he is in Tier 3.

So my conclusion is:
You level up by winning matches using different Mechs and not just playing one.

Sorry but this is probably not correct. I levelled up mostly using 2 mechs in 39 days and 1390 matches i.e. I compressed 1 year of casual play into 1 month+.

I wrote about it here: http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__5340644

#187 Tombs Clawtooth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:02 AM

View PostUnofficialOperator, on 01 October 2016 - 11:53 PM, said:

Great 1st post... but I am curious about how you are getting 3-4 kills per game when your stats says otherwise for the last 4 seasons? Unless this was satire Posted Image

He could probably try to steal kills and end up with a bad score.

If he would state his average damage, that would go a long way in finding out what's wrong. 500-700 damage is average. 700-1000 is good. 1000+ is exceptional. Below 500 and your build is bad or you are doing something wrong most of the match.

#188 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:11 AM

View PostTombs Clawtooth, on 02 October 2016 - 12:02 AM, said:

He could probably try to steal kills and end up with a bad score.

If he would state his average damage, that would go a long way in finding out what's wrong. 500-700 damage is average. 700-1000 is good. 1000+ is exceptional. Below 500 and your build is bad or you are doing something wrong most of the match.

Eh no. Most of his KDR is below 1 across 4 seasons. So it's impossible to do what he said he did i.e. 3-4 kills per game.
https://mwomercs.com...ser=dfacritkill

#189 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts
  • LocationWay, Way Over there, Face North turn left or was that right?

Posted 02 October 2016 - 11:16 AM

View PostUnofficialOperator, on 01 October 2016 - 11:53 PM, said:

Great 1st post... but I am curious about how you are getting 3-4 kills per game when your stats says otherwise for the last 4 seasons? Unless this was satire Posted Image

UnofficialOperator you missed it. DFAcritkill is obviously playing the entire game in reverse, his (S) key is stuck.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#190 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:41 PM

I managed to beat myself down from mid-tier 3 back into tier 4 leveling Quickdraws during this event. I've lost something like 50 matches in a row so far. So you can go down. It isn't an experience bar.

When you get teams featuring mechs like a Victor 9S with 3 LRM15s in your assault lance match after match, and end up being on the losing end of 50 3-12 gangbangs, that'll happen even when your personal KDR in the match is 1, LOL. If I wanted to be back in T3 again...and I really don't give a ****...I'd get out my Archer 5W and rejoin the LRM brigade. And I saw plenty of our forum names putting up worse numbers than me in a lot of those matches. By the way, when your whole team has less than 200 damage each and you post top team damage with 235, well, you see what I'm driving at.

And I have never claimed to be even an adequate Mechwarrior, but I will follow a dropcaller's lead and I try to stick with those who want to go fight when I'm running a direct fire or 30-tube LRM build. Even the best tier 1 pilots go down when they find themselves all alone time after time on what was supposed to be a called push, getting focused down by six enemy mechs. And when you find yourself leading push after push in a 60 ton mech because all your assaults and high end heavies are boating LRMs or gauss rifles and hiding 600 meters away from the enemy expecting lights and mediums to do the heavy lifting, that's just what we call life in puglandia during another event. I've been around long enough now that I know it'll eventually go the other way.

Edited by Chados, 02 October 2016 - 02:51 PM.

#191 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:06 PM

Oh, and my first match back in T4 netted me 492 damage, 3 kills, seven assists, one KMDD, 2 solos, and my first win in a long while, LOL. And put me back in T3.

Puglandia. It never ceases to amaze me.

Edited by Chados, 02 October 2016 - 03:07 PM.

#192 Dark MagiKarp

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:55 PM

I think the PSR Tier thing is kind of crazy. It seems to me it is way too focused on win vs loose. It seems to me that a player ought to go up more if they get a top score but loose than if they win - since surely this is evident of better PS on the face of it.

Case in point, I got abt 200 more dmg (740 total) than anyone in a recent game (including the OPFOR), got the 2nd highest match score (including the OPFOR) - missed top by 8 pts. Got a loss, but got an = PSR rating. I mean come on! Is this for real?

#193 Zergling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 05:46 AM

View PostTombs Clawtooth, on 02 October 2016 - 12:02 AM, said:

Those standards are way above the average player.

I'm only a 300-400 average damage player myself, yet going off this, my performance in Season 3 and 4 is nearly in the top 25% of QP players.
It seems likely the norm for average players is somewhere below 300 damage/battle.

That certainly would be considered terrible by a high skill player, but that would be the actual average.

Edited by Zergling, 04 October 2016 - 05:47 AM.

#194 JDNight

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:26 AM

For the newer players out there:

I'm quite new to this game. Less than 100 games. The first mech I purchased was a kitfox. I put 2 AC2 Ultras on the kit fox, an ECM, and an AMS. Very un-meta. It took me 40-50 games just to figure out how I wanted to play it. I am a noob. From the sound of things, you would think I am in Teir 5 getting told I should immediately DC from the game, right?

Not quite. I win 3 out of 4 games I play. Despite averaging only 100-125 damage per match I am high-er tier 4, about to enter tier 3.

How do I do it? At the start of a match, I head straight over to the Heavies and Assault mechs. I run with them. I stick with them. I stay behind them and hit anyone I get an opportunity shot on with my AC2s. Most importantly though, I provide them all with ECM and AMS support the entire game. I make certain to stay alive the whole game. Light mechs aren't supposed to win matches, we support. And when done well, it really can make a difference.

Edited by JDNight, 13 October 2016 - 09:29 AM.

#195 arther

• PipPip
  • Driven
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:11 PM

WHAT STYLE DOSE MECH WANT, JUST READ PLAYING SOLO MAKE YOUR RATE GO UP , DOSEN'T SOUND LIKE TEAM PLAY TO ME. what are to do, come on tell us what team play is , is it just faction drops. if it is , when in a unit you get to play with all the tiers, you get trianing an you work with the same player all the time in, quick play not so , your just thowing in to the riot hope that some will have your back

#196 CSbrunton

• Pip
  • Shredder
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:19 AM

Yeah, been playing for 3 years now and still tier 5. Wouldn't say I'm a great player, but certainly not the bottom of the heap. At this point don't even bother checking any more.

#197 PANZER 666

Rookie

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:59 PM

whats the best way to understand TIER and PSR

whats the best way to understand Tier and PSR

#198 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:15 PM

Posted Image

What's with all the necro threads lately?

#199 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:20 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 05 February 2017 - 07:15 PM, said:

Posted Image

What's with all the necro threads lately?

I'm not sure. I've been responsible for a few of them, but I'm rather particular and try to pick ones that are relevant to whatever issues we have that day, to show that even after all of these years, PGI STILL hasn't fixed it!

#200 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:21 PM

View Postcazidin, on 05 February 2017 - 07:20 PM, said:

I'm not sure. I've been responsible for a few of them, but I'm rather particular and try to pick ones that are relevant to whatever issues we have that day, to show that even after all of these years, PGI STILL hasn't fixed it!

People need to at least necro something important, like a thread about buffing the Command Console.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users